The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Why is US BB so different?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

applejack93 288 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-09-05, 03:11 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Why is US BB so different?"
Feel free to lock this if it is a duplicate. I just wanted to know - has there ever been a series of American Big Brother where the audience votes to eliminate the housemates? I know that in my country (Australia) and most other countries the population votes to eliminate a housemate each week.

Some other rules that differ are that discussion of strategy/alliance/nomination points etc. is not allowed - the players cannot 'strategise' with each other. There is no such thing as Head of House, or Power of Vito as every housemate votes on Tuesday night for the nominees and those with the most points are nominated for eviction. The evictee is then determined by process of phone voting by the viewing audience.

Why is U.S. big Brother so different? I'm pretty sure that most other countries adopt a similar format to Australia. It doesn't quite make sense to me, because U.S. big brother just looks like Survivor in a house. Very little information on BB1 is offered on the net - did the audience vote in that season?

Sorry, I just became curious because our 5th season of BB just began airing last night.

P.S. - this is my first post in the BB forum. I usually wouldn't start my own thread, but this question has been bugging me since I first stumbled across the BB site on the CBS website (about 2 years ago).

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Why is US BB so different? tribephyl 05-09-05 1
   RE: Why is US BB so different? NancyOttawa 05-09-05 2
       RE: Why is US BB so different? applejack93 05-10-05 3
           RE: Why is US BB so different? Drive My Car 05-10-05 4
               RE: Why is US BB so different? applejack93 05-10-05 5
                   RE: Why is US BB so different? tribephyl 05-11-05 6
                       RE: Why is US BB so different? universityofkentuckyrocks 05-11-05 7
                           RE: Why is US BB so different? applejack93 05-12-05 8
                               RE: Why is US BB so different? NancyOttawa 05-13-05 9
                                   RE: Why is US BB so different? tribephyl 05-14-05 10
                       RE: Why is US BB so different? ARnutz 05-14-05 11
                           Well shut-my-mouth tribephyl 05-15-05 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-09-05, 05:27 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Why is US BB so different?"
Yup BB1 was the only one with the viewers as voters.
It's been "Survivor in a House" ever since the first season ended.

Personally, I'm glad they changed formats for the remaining BigBrothers.
Not because I need everything to be "survivor oriented" but because I just don't trust the american publics choices.

I mean really! Just look at the mess that is "AmericanIdol"!

Even the "Survivor America'sChoice Winner" was a total let down!

You just can't trust the whole of America to make the right choices.

Sn'DCS©MMIV
I tend to believe that's exactly how I ended up with The Govern-ator in charge.

NancyOttawa 42 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-09-05, 02:56 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Why is US BB so different?"
i preferred it too when they changed the format to the houseguests voting the next one out. Makes it a lot more intriguing for fans to watch as they try to form alliances and back stab each other. Otherwise they get to complacent in the house and lay around sun tanning and working out and that ends up getting really boring to watch by the end.

05-10-05, 07:29 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Why is US BB so different?"
I have to admit we make some really poor choices as well. If you know anything about the winners, you'll know two of them are exactly alike and fit the 'typical aussie bloke' profile that I hate with a passion.

This season looks like it will be very similar.

Do you know why they changed the format? Did they realise that the general populous is unable to put aside the preconcieved prejudices and vote for the interesting people?

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-05, 08:40 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Why is US BB so different?"
I believe they changed the format because the ratings were so low.
The first season of the US BB was very boring. No plotting, no schemeing , no competitions for Head Of House or power plays. Just people sitting around trying to be nice so the public doesn't phone vote them out.

I know the other format of BB is very popular all over the world, but Americans just didn't get excited about it.

05-10-05, 09:08 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Why is US BB so different?"
To tell you the truth I don't know why Australians do. I am not, and never have been, a humungous fan of the show. And I agree that the lack of plotting/scheming doesn't make for very interesting TV. To make up for it they just cast people with really contrary personalities, just to inject some conflict.

05-11-05, 06:05 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Why is US BB so different?"
To make up for it they just cast people with really contrary personalities, just to inject some conflict.

What that meant, in america, was vote out all the interesting people. (I'm sure it's the same there.)

The first finale was awarded to ... granted, at the time, he needed the money ... a man who was legless.
If there were a possbility for spoilers in BB, we coulda followed the betting and realized the gimp woulda won the game. AND he did!!!!

Sn'DCS©MMIV
The winner has gone on to kill himself ... and ... all respectability of the american voting public.
Alas, we still have AI!!

universityofkentuckyrocks 2575 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-11-05, 06:46 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Why is US BB so different?"
I think it would not be a good thing for Americans voting out the houseguest. The people who are there are the people who are going to win the money. Tose people should decide who wins it too.

05-12-05, 02:00 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Why is US BB so different?"
That's a very good point. Often we end up with a similar situation like T-phyl described - the money is "granted" to people by the population. In our second season the winner was a guys whose parents had died of cancer and was the sole guardian of his brother. Not that the guy didn't need the money, but he was so boring to watch he didn't entertain me enough to vote for him.

I think, with the audience voting, you get to much of "I'm voting for X because they deserve it the most", except that they mean deserve in an 'outside the game' sense.

BB Australia is a popularity contest, BB America actually requires skill.

NancyOttawa 42 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-13-05, 03:29 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Why is US BB so different?"
Just to clarify, he wasn't completely "legless". He had only one leg amputated.

05-14-05, 05:49 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Why is US BB so different?"
Sorry 'bout that, I was taking poetic licence.
Also I knew I just couldn't say parapalegic.

Legless kinda covered what I meant. Only one leg.
Not that anyone would say, legsless. But, you get my meaning right?

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings

05-14-05, 09:17 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Why is US BB so different?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-14-05 AT 09:17 PM (EST)

The winner has gone on to kill himself ...

Huh? I am confuzzled!?

He plays a guy in a music video who jumps off of a building and kills himself, but I can't find anything where it says he actually killed himself. We are talking about Eddie McGee, right?

A J Slice original © 2004

05-15-05, 01:57 AM (EST)
12. "Well shut-my-mouth"
I really thought it was ... nevermind.

Oh well. My mistake, everyone.
Sorry for all the blathering I did in here.

I really should have stuck with the USBB1 sucked. Period.
And not to spout untruths as far as the wellfare of it's first winner.

This is why I still ... to this day ... apologize to Paul Sorvino everytime I see him in a movie, for claiming I thought he was dead.
I guess I'll have to add Eddie McGee to this list as well.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •