The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Taylor Hicks HAS done what no other Idol could do"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

12-18-06, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Taylor Hicks HAS done what no other Idol could do"
hi all -

I finally picked up Taylor's CD this weekend. I had listened to it online, but i finally sat down w/ the headphones and had a couple of good listens.

I can say with confidence that Taylor Hicks has done what no other idol winner has done - he has made a debut CD which accurately reflects on HIM as a performer. This is pure Taylor Hicks. It is not over-produced, it is not pop-drivel. This is Taylor Hicks.

The CD is very well done, well produced, and the songs selected on it fit perfectly with Taylor's voice. And, his voice, is in amazing form on this CD.

In addition, he actually has three songs on the CD that were on his last independently released CD. (The Walmart CD has "Hell Of A Day". Other stores do not include this track)

His choice of two covers are the highlights of the CD, in my opinion. I had never heard "Gonna Move" or "Wherever I Lay My Hat", and my favorite track on the CD is "Gonna Move". It embodies all that I loved about Taylor during the competition.

In addition to the covers and his own songs, the remaining tracks also shine with few exceptions. The first single "Runaround" is catchy as all hell, and you'll be singing along in no time. The Rob Thomas song-penned song "Dream Myself Awake" is another great song.

Even the weak "filler" material matches up with Taylor's voice and style. "Places I've Been" is a sappy Diane Warren song, and "The Maze" is just poppy extra, but Taylor sings the hell out of them anyway.

I have to comment on "The Right Place", a song written for Ray Charles, but never recorded due to his death. To hear Taylor sing it and to know his love for Ray Charles can give you the chills. You can imagine Ray singing it, and Taylor just nails the song.

This is a great CD and goes to prove that an Idol debut CD can actually be a great CD.

Well done, Taylor.

geekboy

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Taylor Hicks HAS done what no o... CowboyJockTampaBay 01-04-07 1
   RE: Taylor Hicks HAS done what no o... geekboy 01-04-07 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

CowboyJockTampaBay 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-04-07, 11:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CowboyJockTampaBay Click to send private message to CowboyJockTampaBay Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Taylor Hicks HAS done what no other Idol could do"
Well, I beg to differ from your statement of "has done what no other idol could do" statement.... referring to the fact that he made a debut album that actually reflects him as a performer.. but I believe you can add Carrie and Kelly to that mix as well... oh and Fantasia -- oh yeah and Ruben too... seems they all made a CD for their preferred genre. Go figure.

I'm not knocking Taylor's album at all or you for that matter, but that statement just doesn't make sense to me. I would say that it's fair to assume that all the AI's have done well with sticking to their talent.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

geekboy 1778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

01-04-07, 12:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Taylor Hicks HAS done what no other Idol could do"
I appreciate your opinion, and reply, but like you - i have to disagree with you.

I will give you a pass on Carrie - yes, you are right. Her debut is what Carrie wants to do - country/pop. And she has done quite well for herself.

The others, I have to disagree.

Kelly - her debut was pure pop, and she has stated several times that her debut was not a true representation of her as an artist, as her followup has proven.

Ruben - No thanks, his debut was pure-rb-hiphop-manufactured-drivel. He has since moved more towards gospel/soul.

Fantasia - like Kelly, she has stated that her debut was not Fantasia. Again, her followup proves that.

All of these artists, including Carrie, has not been allowed as much control as Taylor was on his debut. He has three songs written entirely by him. He cowrote other songs on the CD.

I respectfully stand by my statement that he has done what no other Idol could do.

geekboy

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •