The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"A violent American Idol finalist?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

badger 1273 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-31-05, 07:27 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"A violent American Idol finalist?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-31-05 AT 07:32 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 03-31-05 AT 07:28 PM (EST)

what? you mean producers didn't do adequate background checks on their contestants?

-----
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Scott Savol, the 28-year-old Ohio native who made his way into the "American Idol" Top Nine on Wednesday (March 30), was arrested in 2001 after an alleged domestic assault the mother of his son Brandon.

The good people at TheSmokingGun.com have obtained the incident report and mug shot from the confrontation, which took place on Valentine's Day.

Apparently Savol and girlfriend Michele Martin had been living at her parents' house in Shaker Heights for roughly a year-and-a-half when they decided to part ways. Savol and his brother returned on his appointed move-out day and a fracas broke out. During the fight, Savol reportedly grabbed his ex's left hand, pulled off her engagement ring and then grabbed at his son.
According to the police report, Martin's mother threatened to call 911, which caused Savol shove her and take the phone out of her hand. Before leaving the house, he threw the phone at Martin's mother, breaking the phone.

The victim told the police that day that Savol had made threats in the past, though no reports had previously filed. Initially, she just wanted Savol out of the house and declined to file charges in favor of a restraining order, but the next day she signed an arrest warrant.

The always vigilant website says that Savol accepted a disorderly conduct misdemeanor plea and was fined $500, placed on a year's probation, ordered to take anger management classes and given a 20-day prison sentence, which was suspended.

Savol's previous arrest record included a "no contest" plea to a 1995 misdemeanor charge stemming from a trespassing incident at his high school.

After several seasons of somewhat shoddy background checking, "Idol" has had a smooth ride in its fourth go-round. Several past seasons were marred by uncovered information regarding various contestants. The most damaging allegations came in 2003's second season when Corey Clark left the show in the final round amidst the news that he was facing trial on charges of resisting arrest, physical battery and criminal restraint.

As of late afternoon on Thursday (March 31), FOX offered no statement on the Savol revelations.

ETA: picture and take out messed-up link

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: A violent American Idol finalis... okaychatt 03-31-05 1
   He's still on the show - right ? Ricky 04-01-05 8
 RE: A violent American Idol finalis... grit 03-31-05 2
 RE: A violent American Idol finalis... opinionated 03-31-05 3
   RE: A violent American Idol finalis... uberspoon 03-31-05 4
       RE: A violent American Idol finalis... archon 04-01-05 5
           RE: A violent American Idol finalis... badger 04-01-05 6
               RE: A violent American Idol finalis... kathliam 04-01-05 7
               RE: A violent American Idol finalis... archon 04-01-05 9
               RE: A violent American Idol finalis... sharonk52 04-01-05 17
 RE: A violent American Idol finalis... ginger 04-01-05 10
   RE: A violent American Idol finalis... okaychatt 04-02-05 22
 Devil's Advocate Devious Weasel 04-01-05 11
   RE: Devil's Advocate ginger 04-01-05 12
   RE: Devil's Advocate Lisapooh 04-01-05 13
       Scott won't be kicked off the show ... Ricky 04-01-05 14
           RE: Scott won't be kicked off the s... Tahj 04-01-05 15
 RE: A violent American Idol finalis... sapphirechick 04-01-05 16
   RE: A violent American Idol finalis... opinionated 04-01-05 18
       Some questions I have... Flairmarq 04-01-05 19
           RE: Some questions I have... ginger 04-01-05 20
   RE: A violent American Idol finalis... bostonrobfan 04-01-05 21
   RE: A violent American Idol finalis... aquariaqueen 04-03-05 26
 RE: A violent American Idol finalis... Fishercat 04-02-05 23
   RE: A violent American Idol finalis... seahorse 04-02-05 24
       RE: A violent American Idol finalis... badger 04-02-05 25
 RE: A violent American Idol finalis... cjrooney 04-13-05 27
 RE: A violent American Idol finalis... nailbone 04-14-05 28

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-31-05, 07:44 PM (EST)
1. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
I think the guy is just plain creepy. Those shots of him muttering to himself before his fate is decided are eerily intense - almost as if he'll erupt if he's in the bottom three.

His voice is ok, but his behavior during the try outs turned me off. I don't find him personable at all - he seems to be way too much of a brooding loner to merit star status. Has he ever looked at the others, let alone held someone's hand while waiting for the verdict? He seems very distant to me.

If this report is true, and it seems that it is, then I'll continue to not vote for him.

He must have fans out there, but I don't think there are enough to vote him into the final four. Can't wait for the week he's dumped. I betcha not one of the contestants sheds a tear for him.

To quote Monk, "I could be wrong..........but I don't think so."

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-01-05, 09:59 AM (EST)
8. "He's still on the show - right ?"
He may get voted off soon. but the producers won't make him leave the show because of the past arrest - will they ?

In the end, those of us that walk away winning, win more than just a loss - Audrey, Apprentice loser

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-31-05, 07:55 PM (EST)
2. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
You beat me to it - I was just about to start a thread on this. Here's the story on The Smoking Gun.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

opinionated 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-31-05, 11:02 PM (EST)
3. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
Hmmm...so if this is Corey all over again, I wonder if Jessica will get a second chance?

Scott just went from underdog to just plain DOG.

uberspoon 173 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-05, 11:42 PM (EST)
4. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-31-05 AT 11:48 PM (EST)

I was so whole-heartedly against Nikko's re-instatement that I'll stay consistant and say it wouldn't be fair to bring back someone who'd been voted off. But I *do* believe that while she was pretty wretched this past week and she never would have won the whole thing, there were a couple of others who deserved to go before Jess did.

But yeah, we know how badly outcast twists can turn out on reality shows.

If I were to make a guess, I'd say if Scott gets Corey'd...it will lead to a stay for whomever gets the lowest vote total the week they dump him (which they won't say on-air until the night of the results show). I can't imagine he'll be allowed to continue now, physically assaulting the mother of your child is every bit as horrible as what Corey did. Everybody makes mistakes in their lives and I am all about forgiveness, but what Scott did is pretty darn repugnant.

ETA: This whole scandalous past thing on AI is getting really tired...can they start doing background checks on these people pre-top 24, already? Please, if the smoking gun can find it.. I know the idol machine can too.

archon 178 desperate attention whore postings

04-01-05, 07:58 AM (EST)
5. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
"if the smoking gun can find it.. I know the idol machine can too"

I can't argue that... How does this not show up on a simple criminal history check? I do wonder how AI is going to handle this. This is a HUGE image issue. Can't have known wife-beaters (sorry, mother-of-your-child-beaters) as your next pop-star.

But I will be fair and say that perhaps he has had a change of heart and repented for this behavior.

In any event, lying on his application should be reason enough to toss him to the curb. Sad, I actually liked his voice...

Archon

"You can get more with a 2x4 and a kind word than with just a kind word." (Marcus, B5)

04-01-05, 09:40 AM (EST)
6. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
can't have known wife-beaters (sorry, mother-of-your-child-beaters) as your next pop-star.

what, like tommy lee (motley crue), axl rose, james brown, rick allen (def leppard), bobby brown, ozzy osbourne...

kathliam 3669 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-01-05, 09:50 AM (EST)
7. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
Nah, America wants its pop stars to be sweet and innocent -- Justin Timberlake, early Brittany Spears, Hillary Duff, Annette Funicello. Keep it clean for the tweeners. Rock stars can get away with murder.

archon 178 desperate attention whore postings

04-01-05, 10:05 AM (EST)
9. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
"what, like tommy lee (motley crue), axl rose, james brown, rick allen (def leppard), bobby brown, ozzy osbourne..."

hehehehehehehe... yep... just like that....

Archon

"You can get more with a 2x4 and a kind word than with just a kind word." (Marcus, B5)

sharonk52 65 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-01-05, 02:10 PM (EST)
17. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
or Eminem?? The smokinggun report also states that Scott told the producers all this and was honest about it. Thats why they haven't made him leave. However, I feel with this news release that Scott will probably be next to go.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-01-05, 10:35 AM (EST)
10. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
And he's always looked like such a nice young man!

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-02-05, 06:47 PM (EST)
22. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
<he's always looked like such a nice young man!

Yeah, and so clean cut, too. Your every day boy-next-door.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

04-01-05, 11:42 AM (EST)
11. "Devil's Advocate"
A huge difference between this and Corey Clark is that Clark was facing charges even as the show was going on. This is over and settled and has been for almost four years. For all we know, he did put this on his application for the show.

04-01-05, 11:48 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Devil's Advocate"
True dat.

I was wondering what took Smoking Gun so long to find it.

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

04-01-05, 12:34 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Devil's Advocate"
it could hinge on whether or not he disclosed it to the producers. Trenyce disclosed her shoplifting conviction upfront and was allowed to continue.

I'd like to see him booted, but I think that's just my personal distaste for him showing through. I was upset at Frenchie's dismissal (there wasn't even a crime there) but didn't care about Corey going.

I think there is (or should be) a distinction between violent and nonviolent acts. Is domestic battery worst than shoplifting? To me, it is.

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-01-05, 12:46 PM (EST)
14. "Scott won't be kicked off the show - USA Today"
USA Today is reporting that Scott had told producers about this previously and he won't be kicked off the show.

Savol, 28, one of nine remaining Idol finalists, had previously told Idol producers of the misdemeanor disorderly conduct conviction that resulted from the incident.

According to a statement issued by Fox and Idol producers Thursday night: "Scott Savol was forthcoming to the American Idol producers and the network regarding his misdemeanor.

After reviewing the facts, in which the charges were reduced to disorderly conduct, we felt that considering Scott's honesty and his remorse, the situation did not warrant his disqualification."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-03-31-idol-arrest_x.htm

In the end, those of us that walk away winning, win more than just a loss - Audrey, Apprentice loser

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-01-05, 01:14 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Scott won't be kicked off the show - USA Today"
Good, I don't think he should be. The charge is four years old.

Moves courtesy of Syren

sapphirechick 16 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-01-05, 01:39 PM (EST)
16. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
There are a number of reasons that Scott may not be "Idol" material, and it's easy to find all kinds of fault with the guy if you're looking for it. It's been painfully obvious that overweight men are more accepted by the judges and America than overweight or even pudgy women. But, I have seen several posts referring to him being rather dark, creepy, stand-offish, self-absorbed, etc. And all of them are truly turn-offs, for sure.

That being said, I've tried to not judge any of the contestants this year by looks or by apparent popularity. Yet, Scott has stuck out in my mind as the one guy up there who could come back with a vengeance if he's let go. Not once in the other 3 seasons did I think of someone going whacko and shooting up the set. Not that Simon's sarcasm hasn't driven anyone to think of it themselves, I bet.

Anyway, I have said from the beginning that he reminds me of the character in the film, FULL METAL JACKET. You know, the one who eventually blows away the Sargeant when he's driven over the edge. Maybe that's why I've been wondering what could happen on a live show if he is as troubled as he appears to be. But, that's not fair to him. I don't know who he is, and just how troubled he might be. Still, it's eerie enough for me to find out I wasn't too far off. With the world being what it is these days, it might be smart for them to get him out of the running now, before the pressure of the top 5 or less(not that I expect he'll even get that far) drives him over the edge, too?

Even if he has learned from his mistake, if someone else was ousted for similar behavior, the precedent's been set. It should be interesting to see how it is handled.

opinionated 151 desperate attention whore postings

04-01-05, 02:27 PM (EST)
18. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-01-05 AT 02:28 PM (EST)

I'm betting that not another word will be mentioned by Fox. I actually give them credit--he was up-front about the whole thing and they made a choice. In the past, the contestants who were booted were not up-front about it. I guess that's the big difference.

Nevertheless, I agree with everything else you said. It's very eerie that so many people categorized him as "creepy" and now have a tangible reason for it. I'd love to know the story behind his breaking into his high school in 1995. What the heck was going on there?

He's always praying during the eliminations--maybe he's "found God" and will surprise us by being very gracious when he finally leaves. He takes Simon's critiques fairly well, other than some distasteful looks and eye rolling. (He's certainly not the first contestant to do either of those things.)

I don't know--gonna be interesting to see how it all pans out. He had to know that this stuff would get drudged up eventually--I'm surprised it took this long.

Flairmarq 303 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-01-05, 03:36 PM (EST)
19. "Some questions I have..."
I did have a few questions...

1) Why was it leaked now?

2) Why did Idol take him if they knew about the physical violence--considering this would be a P.R. nightmare, plus a lot of other singers could have taken his spot?

3) Knowing that the info was leaked, why doesn't Scott bow out gracefully rather than be voted off next week?

"The Simon of the Wabash Valley"

04-01-05, 03:45 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Some questions I have..."
It ain't gonna help him, that's for sure. Although Trenyce was up front about her situation and therefore was not kicked off, either, I think the Smoking Gun revelation of her arrest had an impact on voters.

bostonrobfan 490 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-01-05, 04:06 PM (EST)
21. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
I agree. It's unfair to others who got booted to not boot Scott now.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-03-05, 03:31 PM (EST)
26. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
Could you imagine the damage he could do to the judges or the audience if he had too many Twinkies that day???????

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-02-05, 06:59 PM (EST)
23. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
Two things to say

A) He shouldn't be kicked off the show since he admitted it and AI let him go through. If fans want him off that bad, don't vote for him.

B) I'm disappointed as there is little excuse for such a crime. I still think he has a great voice and judging that his looks were a clear determinant of him as the type that would do this is asinine, but I am not going to root for the guy any more.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

04-02-05, 11:26 PM (EST)
24. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
>A) He shouldn't be kicked off
>the show since he admitted
>it and AI let him
>go through. If fans want
>him off that bad, don't
>vote for him.

I totally agree. He is not going to win or be around too much longer anyway.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

04-02-05, 11:41 PM (EST)
25. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
i can be a pretty kind and compassionate person *cough,cough* but domestic violence, i just can't get over. pretending to be a bad boy is one thing; beating on women, another.

i'm sure he'll go soon too.

i hope he'll go soon.

and i'll puke if he sings a love ballad this week.

cjrooney 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-13-05, 10:19 PM (EST)
27. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
It amazes me that we now allow anyone to become idol. Frenchie was disqualified because she did modeling that was not the imagine the brass at idol wanted to portray. Yet now they are allowing someone with an arrest record continue. All Simon ever says is that Idol is an image. What image will be portrayed by someone like Scott? I have enjoyed watching Idol but if Scott is allowed to continue then I will probably not watch any other Idol seasons. I am really disappointed.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-05, 10:19 AM (EST)
28. "RE: A violent American Idol finalist?"
Because no other recording act in America has any kind of violent criminal past, right?

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •