The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Why do they do it ?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Apprentice General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Libertine 33 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-05-04, 03:02 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Why do they do it ?"
Again and again the teams choose a single minded approach, or a single avenue of methodology in order to achieve a task......???

The one lesson that should have been learned by now is the notion of A BACK UP PLAN, what is it with people in this game/show..???

Raj could have gotten two contractors, split the work to be done in 2 and then explicitly stated to each one that they get a bonus for getting everything done on time, AND if the other guy doesn't get it done, the work is the other guys, and so is the bonus......

BACK UP PLAN.

Damn these "geniuses" really seem stupid after a while, repeating the same organizational errors, the same idea errors, the same personality errors, the same behavioural errors, the same save your own ##### mentality, the same strategic blunders.....why???

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Why do they do it ? Wolfcat 11-05-04 1
   RE: Why do they do it ? krispycritterz 11-05-04 2
       RE: Why do they do it ? Wolfcat 11-05-04 3
           Sell out marketing? What 11-06-04 10
   Seems to be an almost sacrificial p... What 11-06-04 11
 RE: Why do they do it ? 63_Stingray 11-05-04 4
   RE: Why do they do it ? jae 11-06-04 5
       RE: Why do they do it ? krispycritterz 11-06-04 6
           Paper trail What 11-06-04 12
       I'm a dude baby... I've been hiding... What 11-06-04 9
   I'll have nachos with that taco What 11-06-04 8
 RE: Why do they do it ? What 11-06-04 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Wolfcat 84 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-05-04, 03:21 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Why do they do it ?"
real good point(s)!

As an example I think supports your view, lets look at the Planet Hollywood in season one. Remember Kwame's team struggling with any way to make money! So, he and Troy (rightly or not) improvised with the celbrity signed gifts.
hey, they lost, Brody got axed for total uslelessness in the gift shop. tHAT WAS TYPICAL OF LAST SEASONS TEAMS. a LOT OF "THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX", and going to win as a team to survive.
Oh!
Thats another thing, by comparison, they way things are being handled in this season, Kwame would almost definetely been the one fired as PM. Seems to be an almost sacrificial position.

krispycritterz 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-05-04, 09:18 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Why do they do it ?"
I'm also annoyed at the lack of creativity and "outside-the-box" thinking displayed by this season's cast.

I had almost forgotten about Troy and Kwame's "celebrity" signed gifts. That was a hoot. Perhaps it was rather unethical and even fraudulent but at least interesting and inventive. I also liked Bill's use of the rickshaws as an advertising vehicle rather than just a transportation vehicle.

In this season certain contestants think they are so smart and fantastic when their team wins even though they didn't do anything particularly clever (i.e. Jen M. who thinks she's so fabulous because her team washed more dogs).

This problem might be solved if the show did a better job of screening its applicants - they should give more points for business achievement and fewer points for looks.

Wolfcat 84 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-05-04, 09:28 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Why do they do it ?"
Here Here!

I think they looked like a cast from a new OC spin off, but that's not surprising. I am NOT much of a TV show fan, but I DID watch all of the 1st season of Survivor. Remember how normal thosse folks looked and acted? Senior citzen seal, the female trucker. Then came season 2. And Then...
Well..

It's like those great bands who produce a single great album found a way to prevent the subsequent albums from flopping. Are we getting an " I'm ok with that" attitude about sell out marketing?

Don't get me wrong I still like the show, but hope that they look at posts like some of yours here to see that you want REAL people and most of all, for the Apprentice, we are OK with over priveledged brats as long as they are smart and driven visionaries. That's the best corporate operatives.

What 209 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-06-04, 02:40 PM (EST)
10. "Sell out marketing?"
I guess in a manner of speaking. If you have a world-wide network, there's nowhere you can't go. I'm okay with that.

11-06-04, 02:45 PM (EST)
11. "Seems to be an almost sacrificial position"
It does sometimes. As PM, you have to be really focused and know your stuff well enough to be able to think fast on your feet and correct mistakes or tagents as they happen. The PM has to escalate his/her tone depending on the amount of insubordination he/she encounters along the way. With teams like these, you'd constantly be red in the face yelling, and we shouldn't have to work that hard. Save that tactic for the British court system.

The PM has difficulty staying focused because he/she is managing a lot of intelligent, aggressive people who think they are above their mistakes.

It's like talking to a young person who constantly says to the parent, "yea, I'm driving 80 mph in a 65 zone, but I'll never get into an accident. I'm young, and it will never happen to me."

63_Stingray 483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-05-04, 11:25 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Why do they do it ?"
Contractors are usually hard to come by so its doubtful you'd find a couple of them desperate enough to agree to a competitive contract like you described. Besides, isn't Raj the one who flat out insisted on eating in the middle of a task and ticking evryone else off? Talk about Karma? What goes around comes around.

jae 412 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-06-04, 06:12 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Why do they do it ?"
It was easier to think outside the box last season because the tasks were so simple. This season, it's hard to find a solid idea that will guarantee a victory (like advertizing on rickshaws). If you could come up with examples, I'll retract this opinion of course.

krispycritterz 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-06-04, 01:06 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Why do they do it ?"
That's true, there may be less chances to be creative in this season because of the complexities of the tasks. But I think there might have been a few missed opportunities such as selling photographs of the dogs (either separately or tacking that on to the bath price) in the dog washing project. I know pet lovers in general welcome any opportunity to acquire photos of their animals. Stacy recommended this and I think it was a solid idea but was dismissed mostly because it came from her.

Also, in this week's renovation project I'm not sure why the team members didn't emphasize to their prospective contractors that this was a chance for the contractors to showcase their work on national tv. I would have thought that thousands of dollars in free advertising would make contractors line up to do the work.

I'm sure doing well on these projects is much harder than it looks. To be fair, there have been some good ideas from this cast like Kevin's idea of donating part of the proceeds to non-profits and promoting that charity link (in the ice cream project?). But I guess I was just expecting more from these candidates who are supposed to be superstars in business and have such amazing credentials on paper.

11-06-04, 02:52 PM (EST)
12. "Paper trail"
"But I guess I was just expecting more from these candidates who are supposed to be superstars in business and have such amazing credentials on paper."

Paper driven resumes are so ambiguous, that it's a real help to have a physical demonstration on tape to see if their words back up their alleged actions.

Reverse osmosis: I cannot tell you how many times, as an employee, I have wished for a referral service on EMPLOYERS, so an employee can make an informed choice before accepting a job offer. They want background checks, but can't or wont extend you, the employee, the same courtesy. You never know where the next Enron will be.

11-06-04, 02:37 PM (EST)
9. "I'm a dude baby... I've been hiding my candy for years"
I think it's like they give then a buffet table and watch to see what they focus on.

We need to equate the contestants to favorite dishes.

Andy - Mocha Latte with Soy foam
Bradford - Unmarinated steak on the grill
Chris - Tossed salad without the dressing
Elizabeth - Gourmet dessert with a lacy sugary topping
Ivana - Falling off the bone hot wings
Jen C - Black Forest cake
Jen M - Fair food
John - Club Sandwich
Kelly - Big Mac with a Clown Chaser (I'll be your clown and/or chase the clowns away... Kell)
Kevin - Vegetable beef soup
Maria - Ice scuplture for the buffet table
Pamela - All franks, no bun
Raj - Top Ramin noodles with Robin flavoring
Rob - Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
Sandy - Top of the wedding cake (savor for at least a year)
Stacie J -Louisianna Hot Sauce looking for a ride
Stacy R - 20 Skittles scattered on a huge plate
Wes - Smurf candy (he's like the invisible smurf)

11-06-04, 02:25 PM (EST)
8. "I'll have nachos with that taco"
Maybe the taco contractor was auditioning for Trump by exposing Raj's and Kevin's weaknesses.

The taco contractor may be a pre-set mole for Trump, because he already knows the weaknesses of each team member.

Raj can eat and dictate at the same time, but the nature of hands-on contracting work means there's no other way to break for lunch that to just sit down and eat your taco. Maybe the contractor has more dates than Raj, and he wants to rub it in a little.

What kind of taco are you anyway?

11-06-04, 02:19 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Why do they do it ?"
I think they all have hidden agendas.

Kevin is ever present on my mind right now, based on his behavior in this last task, I think he's either inept or has someting to hide. For instance:

Kevin says to Raj that he picked out a contractor

Raj basically says, great, let's hire him

Raj can't motivate the contractor to finish the bathroom

Kevin wont step up for Raj to motivate the contractor
and the bottom line is that the bathroom isn't finished and they both look bad.

So is Kevin telling his PM that he can't be trusted to work unsupervised?

If Raj relying too heavily on Kevin to fill in the gaps he can't because he's out working on other smaller tasks related to the end result?

Either way you look at it, they are both failing because they cannot accept a supporting role and even submit to honesty, even temporarily, in order to achieve the win.

In some way shape or form, you will always be in a supporting role.. a CEO to it's shareholders, a tax payer to the government, the government to it's taxpayers, the head of the CIA to the eyes of God, they continually fall victims to their own egotistical endeavors without seeing the bigger picture. I think it boils down to intentions, and it's back firing on them which means they must have bad intentions.

Kevin doesn't realize he can look good as a potential PM by being an honest supporter.

Are they relying too heavily on instinct, too heavily on agreesive tendensies, too heavily on direction? It delays interpretation because they go back and forth so much. They act alone, and their selfishness is betraying them their ultimate goal.

Then later on in the boardroom, Raj took ultimate responsibility, but he wanted to inform Trump of what concerned him about Kevin. Kevin had a lot of nerve not correctly summarizing his actions related to the contractor. He even said he didn't pick the contractor when he knows it was caught on film. That's an Omarosa moment.

I'd have to ask Kevin a few more questions before I can accurately summarize him.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •