The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Tell me about Gmail"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

diamond 2307 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

06-05-05, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Tell me about Gmail"
LAST EDITED ON 06-05-05 AT 01:00 PM (EST)

Over the last few years, I've had issues with various email accounts I use, and I'm considering switching everything to Gmail. I've already set up the accounts I need - I just have to decide whether to actually go through with switching over to them. (That is, I need to decide whether to go through with the hassle of telling everyone who has my email address to use a different one.)

So.

Tell me what you like. Tell me what you don't like.

One of the big things I want to know is if it's reliable - does it ever go down and you can't get to your account? Does it ever lose messages that you send or that people say they sent you?

Also, does anyone use it with a Blackberry? I first set up an account a while ago, and I tried to get it to forward to my Blackberry, but I couldn't get it to work (granted, I didn't give it much effort before giving up).

Thanks!

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but if it was, I missed it, and also, it's new enough that it's good to get opinions after people have been using it for a while.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Tell me about Gmail CantStandToLook 06-05-05 1
 RE: Tell me about Gmail Drive My Car 06-05-05 2
   RE: Tell me about Gmail diamond 06-05-05 3
       RE: Tell me about Gmail TechNoir 06-05-05 5
           RE: Tell me about Gmail diamond 06-05-05 6
 RE: Tell me about Gmail frankz 06-05-05 4
 RE: Tell me about Gmail volsfan 06-05-05 7
   RE: Tell me about Gmail diamond 06-05-05 8
       RE: Tell me about Gmail volsfan 06-05-05 9
           RE: Tell me about Gmail frankz 06-05-05 10
               RE: Tell me about Gmail CantStandToLook 06-05-05 11
 *raises her hand* Schnookie Palookie 06-05-05 12
   RE: *raises her hand* diamond 06-05-05 13
   RE: *raises her hand* Silvergirl1 06-05-05 14
 RE: Tell me about Gmail wandacal 06-06-05 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

CantStandToLook 6254 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-05-05, 12:58 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Tell me about Gmail"
Ilove gmail. I am using it and yahoo at the moment but since they dont have messenger I'll probably keep using both for now.

I love the way gmail keeps the messages as a thread. It makes it easy to keep conversations straight. I also use on account just to store pictures for family and friends because of the generous storage.

My eyes!! My eyes!! Bounced by Icecat

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-05, 01:04 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Tell me about Gmail"
Hi Diamond!

I have no useful advice, just wanted to *wave* and say "Hi"

06-05-05, 01:12 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Tell me about Gmail"
*waves*

Hi Buggy!

Puts one check in the "no opinion" column for Buggy.

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-05, 01:26 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Tell me about Gmail"
Just try it. And tell me where to email your (new) accounts. Privately, of course.

"...cruelly and rudely rebuking Us at every turn with their facts and their logic and their science." - Song of the Ant Queen

06-05-05, 01:59 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Tell me about Gmail"
So that's an endorsement, then?

Okay, so far I've gotten three good reviews, and I have played around with it a little, and it seems like a good system.

I just hate having to go through that hassle of telling everyone, especially since this will be the second time in less than two years that I'll be switching email accounts. But if it really is worth it, I'll switch, because the accounts I'm using now are tied to my ISP, and I have a feeling I won't be able to keep them if I ever stop using it.

CSTL and frankz, thanks for the input! And If anyone else uses it, I'd still like to get more opinions.

Tech, I'll email you soon.

frankz 1214 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

06-05-05, 01:19 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Tell me about Gmail"
I have one too. Mrs Frank tries every damned new thing out there so she got me on there. I only talk to her on it though but I have found it to be very reliable. No lost messages and no 5 hour delays. I also like how it keeps the messages as a thread. Much easier to keep track of, especially if you’re just sending 3-4 word replies.
Mrs Frank uses it all the time for all her messages. You can link it to other accounts so if people send you messages to your other accounts it will show up in g-mail too.
And you can’t beat the storage. I’d recommend it (unlike some of the other junk she gets involved in)

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-05, 02:19 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Tell me about Gmail"
Is there a reason why you are switching? Maybe you should concentrate on the cons of your current email accounts. I can't imagine switching all my accounts just to be switching.

06-05-05, 02:36 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Tell me about Gmail"
LAST EDITED ON 06-05-05 AT 02:37 PM (EST)

Well, email isn't like a relationship - you can't go to counseling to work out your problems. You either have to accept them or make a change yourself.

I used to use Hotmail, which I found to have a lot of problems with reliability, and it had other issues (that Gmail doesn't have) which I won't bother going into. So I switched to the email I got through my ISP. Problem is, I don't think I can keep it forever, unless I stay with this ISP forever, which is not likely. Also, I discovered after I had switched to the accounts I'm using now that they don't let you keep mail on their servers longer than 30 days, which is a big deal for me. I have to download everything to my own computer, which both fills up my hard drive and means I can't access my old messages from anywhere except my home computer. And they give you only 30 megs of storage space (not that it matters, since they delete everything so quickly, anyway).

Assuming Gmail is a good system (which it seems like it is), once I start using it, I (hopefully) won't ever have to switch again.

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-05, 02:43 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Tell me about Gmail"
Kewl. I have email accounts all over the place. I have like 10-12 different accounts and I must say that I have not any problems with the reliability of any of them (including hotmail).

The only email account I have ever had any problems with was the company I used to work for. Their software deleting every email that was incoming (from another network) that was addressed to more than 5 peeps. How dumb is that?

frankz 1214 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

06-05-05, 03:26 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Tell me about Gmail"
I've lost messages from Hotmail on several occasions. They just don't show up. Or I send Mrs Frank a message (even from hotmail to hotmail) and they take hours to get there. And the server is busy or unavailable sometimes. Happens about once every 2 months or so but when it does it happens for a while.
Gmail has never done that, always available and almost like IM, instantaneous response.
I still have an account at ihatemimes, just cuz I like the name but it is cumbersome so just keep it for fun (and to register for stuff)

CantStandToLook 6254 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-05, 03:29 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Tell me about Gmail"
That's another thing I like about gmail too. I can leave my Inbox open and it will show me when I have new messages and how many. I think it checks for new mail every 15 seconds or something like that.

I also like the archiving feature. I've archived messages before only to have them pop back up when I get another response to the original email. It's nice for folks you dont talk to on a daily basis but helps you remember what you were talking about in the first place.

My eyes!! My eyes!! Bounced by Icecat

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-05, 11:03 PM (EST)
12. "*raises her hand*"
Ummmmmmmmm, what is gmail???

06-05-05, 11:47 PM (EST)
13. "RE: *raises her hand*"
It's a free web-based email service Google started last year, sort of like Hotmail or Yahoo, but from what I can tell, it's much better than either of them (most obviously, they give you 2266 megs of storage space, and it appears to be increasing at the rate of several megs per day).

If you want to sign up, you have to be "invited" by someone who already has an account. However, there is a spooler website that collects extra invites from people, and you can get one there.

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-05, 11:52 PM (EST)
14. "RE: *raises her hand*"

Hi, Nookie. It's Google's version of email. It gives you a lot of storage and has some nice features.

Silvergirl
I have an account, but have not been using it. I might use it to consolidate my emails.
Life is Good!

wandacal 4018 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-06-05, 04:55 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Tell me about Gmail"
Since I am ignorant about Gmail, I just wanted to send a HUGE "HI!" to Diamond!

Modified by JSlice!

Diamond...
One, cool cat....

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •