The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Letter writing help...please"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-02-05, 01:31 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Letter writing help...please"
LAST EDITED ON 02-02-05 AT 02:04 PM (EST)

Someone help me. I need some ideas as to what should go into a please don't do this kind of letter.
I live very close to the New River Gorge. For those of you who have not heard of this place, it is been deemed as The Grand Canyon of the east. Really, it is a magnificent place. However that is not the entire reason that I am firmly against anyone building there. West Virginia relies a lot on tourism. The New River is one of the biggest tourist attractions that we have.
A company wants to build a housing community on the New River. IMHO not only will this decrease tourism because where it is being proposed to be built, but it will greatly detract from something so wonderful.
I understand the need for homes and businesses, however where is that line drawn. Does something that is wonderfully natural need to be destroyed because someone with a lot more money than me wants to live there?
Where they are proposing this go into is the number one site for tourists and locals to rock climb, hike, repel and it lies along the way that most rafting companies use for their rafting and kayaking trips. During the fall, we have Bridge day, a celebration where people from all over the world come and take part in those activities, plus bungee jumping from the bridge. It is a huge tourist attraction. The last several years instead of shutting down one side of the bridge, both sides have had to been shut down.
I grew up around the gorge. I really want my child to be able to appreciate it the way that I and many others have came to appreciate it.
There are so many reasons why someone should not want this area destoyed, but right now I am so flustered that I cannot think of any but what I have stated.

Any tips on writing a professional sounding please don't destroy the gorge letter will be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics of the gorge. The last one is of bridge day several years ago. With a link following to go to the bridge day site.

www.officialbridgeday.com/

Here is the article describing what is being proposed, and their website.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=ne-main-9-l1&flok=FF-APO-1110&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20050202%2F1212892248.htm&sc=1110

http://livesouth.com/Community-Frames/roaringriver-beckley-wv.htm

I want to write them, tell them to please not do this. I know one voice does not really make a difference, but this is where I live. If that link makes this get all out of kilter will someone tell me how to fix it?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Letter writing help...please txmomma26 02-02-05 1
   RE: Letter writing help...please syren 02-02-05 3
   RE: Letter writing help...please Tahj 02-02-05 4
       RE: Letter writing help...please syren 02-02-05 6
           RE: Letter writing help...please Tahj 02-02-05 8
               RE: Letter writing help...please syren 02-02-05 9
 RE: Letter writing help...please J Slice 02-02-05 2
   RE: Letter writing help...please syren 02-02-05 5
   RE: Letter writing help...please probably clueless 02-02-05 7
 RE: Letter writing help...please syren 02-02-05 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

txmomma26 5825 desperate attention whore postings

02-02-05, 01:38 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Letter writing help...please"
I think you just typed the basis for your letter here:
I understand the need for homes and businesses, however where is that line drawn. Does something that is wonderfully natural need to be destroyed because someone with a lot more money than me wants to live there?
Altho, I would try to tone down the more money thing, if possible. Maybe something along these lines:
I understand the need for homes and businesses and our area is rapidly expanding. I do, however, feel that we need to draw the line somewhere and natural beauty should be preserved.

Follow that with this:
Where they are proposing this go into is the number one site for tourists and locals to rock climb, hike, repel and it lies along the way that most rafting companies use for their rafting and kayaking trips. During the fall, we have Bridge day, a celebration where people from all over the world come and take part in those activities, plus bungee jumping from the bridge. It is a huge tourist attraction. The last several years instead of shutting down one side of the bridge, both sides have had to been shut down.

And this:
I grew up around the gorge. I really want my child to be able to appreciate it the way that I and many others have came to appreciate it.

And elaborate a bit more on each with personal experiences and as many facts as you can find to back up the points. You will have a heartfelt, honest opinion that will make an impression.

02-02-05, 01:41 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Letter writing help...please"
Thank you, for your suggestion. I really did not know how to put into words what I am feeling, to get someone to understand. Thanks

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-02-05, 01:41 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Letter writing help...please"
You need to get some community support and draft a letter together. Is anyone doing that?

02-02-05, 01:44 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Letter writing help...please"
LAST EDITED ON 02-02-05 AT 01:47 PM (EST)

Right now, I have no idea. I came in from class, sat down to read my email and a friend had sent me a link. However, I was planning on sending out some emails with the need for a major letter writing campaign.
Right now, I am just astonished that someone would want to destroy parts of the gorge. Never thought that it would happen.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-02-05, 01:52 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Letter writing help...please"
So it must not be public land. That seems strange that a place like that isn't part of the state or national park system.

02-02-05, 01:56 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Letter writing help...please"
Out of the 4300 or so acres that the development company wants to develop on, only 618 are part of the New River Gorge National Park. Knowing the area, I would say that land is the closest to the river.

West Viginia has so much undeveloped land, they can go build their homes somewhere else.

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

02-02-05, 01:38 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Letter writing help...please"
::mouth agape::

Oh my. That bridge is both terrifying and gorgeous.

I'm really not much of a letter-writer, Syren, but I think it's very admirable of you to take the steps that you have.

02-02-05, 01:42 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Letter writing help...please"
The pictures really do not do it justice. For terrifying, you should try driving over it when the wind is really blowing.

Slice, I just hope that others around here see the importance of keeping it the way it is.

Thanks

probably clueless 5782 desperate attention whore postings

02-02-05, 01:50 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Letter writing help...please"
Hey Slice - Were you and your friends having a little 'soiree' under the bridge when that second pic was taken?

A Kittyloaf®Original
*"I'M so excited to touch the banana that you guys all touched. I'm such a little fangirl." - Coco*

02-02-05, 08:43 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Letter writing help...please"
This is the letter that I think I am going to send out. I am wondering though other than the company, and an editorial to the newspaper, should I also send it to the Chamber of Commerce?

Today I found out that there are those who want to destroy the natural beauty that is the New River Gorge. It is my understanding that interest has been shown in developing the land that lays adjacent to the river in Fayette County. I am writing to express my concern against this matter.
The Gorge is a part of life in this area. Everyone who has grown up near it, grows up to appreciate it, to awe at it, and to respect it. Hearing that a company wants to build 2200 homes in the area, no matter what the reason is troubling.
While I understand the need for homes and business opportunities across our state, the Gorge is not the place to expand on. Our communities are growing. That is a wonderful thing. However where is the line between expansion, and preserving the beauty that our state is known for. The line needs to be firmly drawn, and the wonder that is the New River Gorge should stay preserved.
West Virginia has undeveloped land everywhere. There is an abundance of it. Why do they need to build 2200 homes within the confines of the New River Gorge? Yes I will agree it is a beautiful place to want to live. That does not mean that you destroy the beauty, and live there. The Grand Canyon is a beautiful place to, but no one would think of trying to build 2200 homes there, because it is fully protected.
Between 150,000 to 250,000 people, locals and tourists, raft The New River each year. While they are enjoying the rapids, many also take part in climbing adventures, repelling, hiking the many trails, and taking in the amazing view from the overlooks. These locals and tourists also enjoy many of the dining and lodging areas available to them. Who wants to come and enjoy something that is littered with houses? Those houses may be being deemed as mountain estates, however that does not change the fact that they do not belong there. It does not change that it is equivalent to visual pollution. It is not a hidden fact that once man comes into a natural setting, that the said natural setting does not erode in one form or another.
Once the houses are built, who is to say that more developers do not try to expand into the New River area as well? It is like opening flood gates. Once one is there, more will eventually want in.
I grew up appreciating my surroundings and nature, because it surrounds us here in West Virginia. I want my children, and their children to grow up being able to experience the awe that the Gorge places inside of you. Whether it is hiking through the trails, climbing, or rafting, one cannot deny the sheer magnitude and beauty of the New River Gorge. It is amazing. There had been many times growing up, where my place of solitude was the gorge. Sitting in one of the many pullovers under the bridge, and just finding peace. I know there are many others who feel the same.
The Gorge is home to one of the worlds oldest rivers. It is recognized as a natural wonder.
It is a place to cherish, not destroy with unnecessary developments.

Please, help save the Gorge. Do not let Roaring River come into New River. While the monetary gain may be well needed, the loss of the natural beauty is not worth it.

Any suggestions for improvement?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •