The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"This is the One True Thread."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-24-11, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"This is the One True Thread."
Everyone is invited to come within and show it exactly as much respect as it deserves.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Respectfully kidflash212 10-24-11 1
 RE: This is the One True Thread. newsomewayne 10-24-11 2
   RE: This is the One True Thread. jbug 10-24-11 3
       RE: This is the One True Thread. Estee 10-24-11 5
   RE: This is the One True Thread. Estee 10-24-11 4
       RE: This is the One True Thread. newsomewayne 10-24-11 6
           RE: This is the One True Thread. Estee 10-24-11 7
               RE: This is the One True Thread. newsomewayne 10-24-11 9
                   RE: This is the One True Thread. PepeLePew13 10-24-11 11
                       RE: This is the One True Thread. newsomewayne 10-24-11 12
                           Oh, carp. Estee 10-24-11 13
                           RE: This is the One True Thread. PepeLePew13 10-24-11 18
                               RE: This is the One True Thread. Snidget 10-24-11 21
                                   RE: This is the One True Thread. Estee 10-24-11 24
                               RE: This is the One True Thread. featherfish81 10-24-11 26
                                   RE: This is the One True Thread. Snidget 10-24-11 27
   Speeking for me Snidget 10-24-11 8
       RE: Speeking for me newsomewayne 10-24-11 10
           RE: Speeking for me Snidget 10-24-11 14
               RE: Speeking for me newsomewayne 10-24-11 15
                   RE: Speeking for me Snidget 10-24-11 16
                   RE: Speeking for me kidflash212 10-24-11 17
                       RE: Speeking for me Snidget 10-24-11 19
                       RE: Speeking for me PepeLePew13 10-24-11 20
                           I'll stand corrected. newsomewayne 10-24-11 22
                               RE: I'll stand corrected. Estee 10-24-11 25
 Disappointed moonbaby 10-24-11 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

10-24-11, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Respectfully"

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

newsomewayne 9065 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-11, 11:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
Yeah, I seriously don't get your outrage here. But I'm sure you'll be here soon to show how biased and blind I am, yada, yada, yada...

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-11, 11:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
~~sits with Wayne~~~

I know whenever I hear any hint of God on a reality tv show a thread will be posted about it.

I can see Agman October 2011

10-24-11, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
I do distinctly recall being all up in Mel's business. Oh, and the horrible non-preaching of that Chip McAllister! How did I ever live with his acting like a sibling to all humanity instead of just constantly talking about it while never demonstrating the meaning of a single word?

10-24-11, 11:14 AM (EST)
4. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
Oh, please. I'm far too busy destabilizing the foundations of society by fighting for equal rights to bother with you. Besides, it's not outrage. Outrage was the Weavers. This is more towards deep annoyance.

But if you honestly can't see what I'm annoyed about, it's the difference between their words and Jennifer's. I'll trust you to work it out from there.

Or, y'know, not.

10-24-11, 11:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
Typical. You go from having a problem with someone on a show to having a problem with me not understanding your problem. And then place the blame for that problem on me rather than justify either problem. Whatever.

10-24-11, 11:34 AM (EST)
7. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
You're the one who said you didn't get the outrage (and possibly the annoyance). As for the 'y'know', it was more towards my considering that after you thought about it, you still wouldn't spot any problem. And there's no blame placed. Frustration, yes. I'll even go for extra annoyance. But... if you want me to spell it out, then this is how I wound up interpreting last night's events.

Snowboarders: 'This place means nothing. Since it isn't a house of worship dedicated to our beliefs, it's basically like doing a puzzle while standing in the middle of a park which features some ugly sculpture. Let's just reassure ourselves that the ugly sculpture has not touched us in any way and leave.'

Jennifer: 'This isn't my holy ground. I don't follow these beliefs and it's pretty much a one hundred percent chance that I never will. But -- this is someone's holy ground. I wouldn't take well to anyone stepping onto mine and treating it with disrespect. Therefore, I will act here with as much honor due to the place as I would in my own church, because not having this faith doesn't mean I have to demean it.'

So -- of the two, which one did onto other as she would have wished them to do onto her? Or, put bluntly, which one acted Christian instead of just talking about it?

Thus my annoyance.

10-24-11, 11:55 AM (EST)
9. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
Thanks. This is what I was asking for. We really could've just skipped those two posts and gotten here first.

My thoughts are that your interpretation was wrong based on preconcieved notions about anyone who publicly touts their Christianity. If I'm wrong on that, so be it.

Looking back on what they said, I can see where them saying "I don't feel any special powers here" might be seen a slam, but I can also see where it might have been a little out of context. It was said in confessional, whereas Jennifer's comments where made on the run. And based on the rest of their comments, I am inclined to think that the lead-in to the confessional might have had something to do with any apprehension about being a Christian and performing a religious task at a Buddhist temple. Their reaction seemed to be a Romans 14 response - are you worshipping other gods on this task? Snowboarders: No we are not. Bible: okay, then don't worry about it.

In other words, they weren't self-righteously repulsed by having to be in a holy-place for another religion. They were just there.

Let's just reassure ourselves that the ugly sculpture has not touched us in any way and leave.'

I'm not sure where you got this from, so I'll just say I didn't hear anything akin to this.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-11, 12:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
It's not just that they said "I don't feel any special powers here" but it's the lack of respect that there are other religions out there besides theirs - as if to say only their religion is worthy and all others should be treated as not worthy of respect.

How would you like it if a non-believer came into your church and just loafed about, eating bananas and leaving the peel laying about on the pews? No, Andy and Tommy didn't do what I just said, but it would have had a similar kind of effect.

Estee's point is that everyone should respect each other's religions and if you're a guest in someone else's church/religion, you should show them the same respect that you'd want if you invited someone into your church. Andy and Tommy didn't do that.

Don't just take my word or Estee's for it - go look over on the Love list, where everyone has dropped Andy/Tommy on their rankings.

10-24-11, 12:36 PM (EST)
12. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
but it's the lack of respect that there are other religions out there besides theirs - as if to say only their religion is worthy and all others should be treated as not

Okay, fair enough. I think the overall reactin to it is wrong, though. Why can't they say to a confessional camera they think the Buddhists are wrong in their beliefs? How is that disrespectful? It's a statement of their beliefs. Beliefs I share, that Christianity is the one true religion. I don't run up to Muslims and Hindus and shove a finger in their face shouting how they're headed for Hell. But neither did Andy & Tommy. Unless I missed something I saw no disrespectful actions from them at the temple. And their confessional, while direct and honest, wasn't, IMO, a hit on others beliefs but rather a statement of their own.

How would you like it if a non-believer came into your church and just loafed about,...

Terrible analogy, but I'll play along, anyway. The non-believing banana tosser would be asked to stop or asked to leave. He wouldn't be asked to change his beliefs. He might also be given a chance to talk about his non-believing, banana tossing ways, as long as he was willing to listen to an explanation of ours, in return. But of course, none of that was the point at the temple on TAR.

But to your explanation of Estee's point, I ask what did Tommy & Andy do at the temple, not in confessional, to disrespect their religion? Also, was the worst thing they said in confessional that they thought the Buddhists (and everyone else) were wrong? If they wanted to be honest and true to their faith, what else could they have said?

10-24-11, 12:43 PM (EST)
13. "Oh, carp."
I don't run up to Muslims and Hindus and shove a finger in their face shouting how they're headed for Hell.

*sighs*

*drops Newsome from fantasy league starters roster*

I was going to get five points every time he did that.

Well, there's twenty-two draft dollars I'll never see again.

10-24-11, 03:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Simple as that.

I would never dare suggest that any one person or religion or belief is beneath me. Andy and Tommy made a mistake by opening their mouths in the first place - by doing so, they exposed their narrow-mindedness in making the assumption that the Buddhists were beneath them ("wrong"). The Buddhists welcomed them into their temple in order to accomplish the task and the two boys were not respectful of their hosts by indirectly saying they were wrong (in answer to your question).

They're insulting a majority of the people in the world by saying that Buddhists (and by extension, other religions around the world) are wrong. What if THEY are wrong with their religion? You'd be in an uproar if someone said that on TV about your religion.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-11, 03:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
Yep, I'd have just as much problem with Buddhists racing doing a task in the Vatican and making those same noises (or St. John the Divine, or a Fundamentalist Christian Church).

I might not have their teaching about doing that as readily available in my memory bank, but most religions have at least some teachings (even if not always followed) about respecting other people.

Not that they cast many people of other religions. Most people on reality TV seem to be at least culturally a secular type of Christian. I can't remember any Christian-phobic people of other religions, or confrontationally agnostic. I know Kaiser was Islamic but that is the only one that pops to mind, and he didn't seem to need to make anyone else wrong to be open about his faith that I saw.

10-24-11, 04:14 PM (EST)
24. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
The only other open Islamic I can readily recall is Ibrehem -- Survivor, and he didn't last long.

Come to think of it, Buddhists and Hindi are horrifically underrepresented compared to their U.S. populations.

featherfish81 391 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

10-24-11, 09:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
How is it disrespectful to believe someone else is wrong? If I thought the other person was right, I would believe what they believed, and not what I believed. That doesn't mean the other person is stupid, or has nothing to teach me about truth or morals, or doesn't have the potential to prove me wrong. But of course I think my beliefs are right, otherwise I wouldn't believe them in the first place. Just like everyone else.

10-24-11, 09:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: This is the One True Thread."
LAST EDITED ON 10-24-11 AT 09:42 PM (EST)

There are respectful ways of agreeing to disagree.

I like my opinion and I believe in it isn't a reason to disrespect someone in their holy place (or bully them or any of the other non-Christian things human beings do to each other), IMO. Your mileage may vary.

It is a time and place and manner of doing it issue.

While I do think everyone should be kind to each other, I do hold some people up to a different standard when it ends up appearing hypocritical.

ETA:
I guess I just find looking for the commonalities far more productive, kind, and in line with my spirtuality than looking at everything in black/white, I'm right/your wrong especially when tinged with and I'm better than those that I deem to be wrong.

10-24-11, 11:39 AM (EST)
8. "Speeking for me"
I think what bothered me (as a not a real Christian because I am Episcopal and so steeped in blasphemous theology so take this as you will, I'm doomed anyway)

Can be expressed by this biblical quote

Proverbs 16:18-19
Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.

It isn't that a person is Christian, or mentions God but the how they do so.

For me it reeked of a sense of entitlement and putting oneself above those of other faiths and was prideful that one has seen the light when others have not.

This tends to lead to statements that sound disrespectful of others and if you really are about bringing others to God as most of the people who talk a lot about how Godly they are seem to at least profess they are, personally, find that prideful arrogance and disrespect isn't really that in line with the teachings.

Sure, one can be happy and grateful that one believes that one has the "right" answer, but as one who has been disrespected at times because I'm not the right kind of Christian I find that sort of behavior not only turns me off to religion in general and often to my own Christianity. In my opinion it really doesn't do much to bring others to Christ. Well might bring those that like using self-righteousness to make themselves feel as if they are better than other people in the eyes of God, but is that really what Christianity is supposed to be about? Really? Because if that is what God wants of me, I'd rather go to hell with the Buddhists and any other people who feel that respecting all beliefs is the way to go.

I find being humble, letting people see my beliefs by my actions rather than writing them on my backpack straps and saying how I am better than others as I know the real truth, respecting other people and their beliefs and loving them the way I want them to love me, respect me and respect my beliefs just I dunno feels a heck of a lot more Christian than most of those who boast loudly about how saved they are. But I guess being raised in the wrong sect will do that to you.

I know a few people who really have brought a lot of people to Jesus and converted them from other religions (and belong to a sect I usually have issue with). What works isn't saying to others (or behaving that and if you really believe you are superior, people will see it in your behavior no matter what you say about love and humility) that I have the right way and you have the wrong way. It takes actually loving those people and caring for them as Jesus would have to the best of your ability. When they see you as having a different path than theirs and one that brings a bit of the Kingdom of God into their lives they convert and do so in a way that brings more Godliness into the lives of those around them.

But that is me, and what do I know.

Ag Potion Number Nine

10-24-11, 11:58 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Speeking for me"
letting people see my beliefs by my actions rather than writing them on my backpack straps

I gotta ask, for whom do you think those verses were written there, you or them?

10-24-11, 02:23 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Speeking for me"
Again, this is based on how I was raised, and I've been told repeatedly this is wrong.

For me, it would be inside something where I could see it, if I wanted to advertise my religiousness then it would be written on the outside of my backpack/on the straps, on a T-shirt, around my neck.

Kind of like wearing a cross, it advertises your religion. It can be a nice piece of jewelry, but I'm even a bit loath to be that demonstrative in which religion I am. Because it still seems more about advertising who I am then being that way in my heart and letting people understand me through my actions and how I am with them.

If I have to tell you I'm religious for you to get it, even in relatively subtle hints, is it really in my heart and mind and soul. Or just something I put on so I will be seen as righteous and holy?

If it is my profession I don't have an issue with being dressed in a way that lets people see that as my profession (so a priest's collar or a habit or any other demonstrations of one as a religious professional). I'm just more impressed by people where I can tell their relationship with the divine by who they are than what they wear or what they put on the outside.

I do some cultures are much more demonstrative about their icons of faith, but even so it is how they are being rather than making sure I see them that seems to matter more to me. I was more impressed with these boys before they went out of their way to make sure the public is treated to just how religious they think they are.

Showing off their straps for the confessional is a public announcement, to me, it and I know people forget their are cameras, but anything I brought for my spiritual needs would be down in the bottom of my bag for when I'm on my own and even if the camera man stuck the nose of the camera in my bag to film it I'd be making a heck of a fuss that I did not bring that along to demonstrate my religion to anyone.

If I am so fragile in my beliefs that I have to have it out in front of my face 24/7 I wouldn't be on TV until I was sure I could withstand the terror of actually having to face the fact other people might not belong to my religion. I really don't fear that other people's holy places or holy words will somehow destroy my salvation.

I mean I was really proud when I went to St. John the Divine and there were bits of other people's religions (side chapels for other sects, a Shinto altar from an exchange they did with a Japanese temple).

I know that I should be respectful of people who must let everyone know they are Christian, and must have every single thing in their life be only about that view point lest they be contaminated, but I do worry that it misses part of the message that I find so essential to my faith that I am strong enough in my beliefs to fully respect other people, treat them as Christ would love them, and as I want to be treated and my salvation is not a fragile thing always in danger of being taken from me.

Ag Potion Number Nine

10-24-11, 03:05 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Speeking for me"
And all that's fine, for you. If that's how you feel led to display or promote your Christian faith, I have no problems with that. But not everybody feels the same calling for that Christian lifestyle. As an extreeeeeeeeeeeme example, should Billy Graham only talk about being kind to each other or Casting Crowns not sing songs about salvation at their concerts because someone there might not be a believer and they don't want to "flaunt their faith"? Again, that's just an example and I'm not saying you are wrong in your way of living for Jesus.

But my question above was about what you thought of Andy and Tommy's intentions. For whom did they write the Bible verses on their backpack straps? My answer is they did it for themselves. I mean, truthfully, would you have ever noticed them had the cameras not pointed them out and the interviewers brought them up in confessional? Granted, you may have answered differently by declining to answer, but does this make them wrong for choosing to answer? Again, I say no.

10-24-11, 03:15 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Speeking for me"
LAST EDITED ON 10-24-11 AT 03:17 PM (EST)

And some of my distaste is based on history.

All too often those who are the most outwardly about their religion are those who are least likely to act as Jesus would act or how he commanded us to act.

(ETA, and I know that all people make mistakes and religion isn't just for the pure, but I've seen too much hypocrisy in my life to believe it is just something that hardly ever happens...end edit)

I'm sure there are some people who are inwardly and outwardly the same. Who are both loud and proud about their religion as well as walking the talk.

The just seem rare. And most of those that seem to walk the talk would have been much more like Jennifer, IMO. While I don't believe as they believe, I will treat their holy places as holy out of respect and loving my neighbor as myself and treating them as I would want to be treated rather than use their holy places as a reason to proclaim my beliefs.

YMMV

Ag Potion Number Nine

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

10-24-11, 03:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Speeking for me"
It may be my memory but the "one true god" comment was not said in a confessional but by one of the guys with a young woman who was at the temple standing right behind him. That's what I found disrespectful, saying that her religion was untrue like that in her place of worship.

10-24-11, 03:28 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Speeking for me"
That is how I remember it.

The strap thing wasn't the big transgression, IMO. Might make me roll my eyes a bit, but wouldn't drop them down in the love rankings for me.

The this holy place has no power in the holy place was where I see the disrespect (and makes me wonder how much the stuff on the strap is for show as that fits for me of the people I have met).

Just kinda came off as "my God can beat up your god" when said in that location.

Ag Potion Number Nine

10-24-11, 03:50 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Speeking for me"
Exactly the point I was trying to make up there, thanks for putting it more succinctly, kid. Who do they think they are to put down another person's religion with one of the people right there behind them within earshot?

10-24-11, 03:55 PM (EST)
22. "I'll stand corrected."
It seems my memory of the timing of statements was wrong. I believe they were wrong in stating their beliefs in that venue.

10-24-11, 04:15 PM (EST)
25. "RE: I'll stand corrected."
Thank you for that.

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-11, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Disappointed"
I can only shake my head and sigh.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •