The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Opinions on the Friends Finale"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-07-04, 10:31 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Opinions on the Friends Finale"
I'm guessing there was lots of chatter in the bar last night, but I wasn't there. So tell me, do you think it sucked as much as I did?

Good parts: Foosball Table scene, twins

Bad Parts: The rest, especially Ross & Rachel getting back together. Snoooooooooze.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale wildchickenhunter 05-07-04 1
   RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale brvnkrz 05-07-04 3
 RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale brvnkrz 05-07-04 2
   RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale shuiheart 05-07-04 4
       RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale brvnkrz 05-07-04 6
   RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale StarryLuna 05-07-04 13
       RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale brvnkrz 05-07-04 16
 It reminded me why moonbaby 05-07-04 5
   RE: It reminded me why L82LIFE 05-07-04 7
       RE: It reminded me why ginger 05-07-04 8
           RE: It reminded me why shuiheart 05-07-04 9
           RE: It reminded me why greenmonstah 05-07-04 11
               RE: It reminded me why ginger 05-12-04 24
       overacting weltek 05-07-04 10
       RE: It reminded me why Mowliemowliemowlie 05-12-04 23
   poopla? IceCat 05-08-04 19
 RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale StarryLuna 05-07-04 12
 RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale GlassJax 05-07-04 14
 RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale Sweater_Puffs 05-07-04 15
   RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale brvnkrz 05-07-04 17
       RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale Sweater_Puffs 05-08-04 18
           RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale brvnkrz 05-09-04 20
 RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale sittem 05-10-04 21
 RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale Violet Nyte 05-10-04 22
 RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale Draco Malfoy 05-13-04 25
   RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale dabo 05-18-04 26
 RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale callalilly3000 05-22-04 27

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

wildchickenhunter 3192 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-07-04, 10:39 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
These things never end that well....It must be really hard to put together a final....What is even worse I think is they had all year to set it up...After all isn't that the only reason they came back this year. They have known for the entire season that this was it.Yet they didn't spend the whole year setting it up.....Tried to do too much in a final episode. Remember Seinfeld announced in December that he was done and then finished in May...Not that that was the greatest, but still done in a lot less time.
I don't know....It was about average for what we have seen this year.....Didn't bring any tears to my eyes and it should have.

Flying my car to the nudie bar!

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-04, 10:43 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
You said what I was thinking but you said it in much more simple form and much easier to understand.
So, yeah, what WCH said.

if you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me.
CASH Wine gopher

05-07-04, 10:42 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
I thought it would be much more sentimental than it was. I was disappointed that they didn't do a lead in for Joey, Like he should have received a call from Hollywood to set up his leaving.
I loved the whole twins thing but didn't understand why their parents and everyone else didn't go to the hospital for the birth. I was hoping for some past guest starts to be there......Janice, Rachel's parents, The Gellers, etc. I'm glad that there was closure with the open story lines like Ross and Rachel. I wouldn't have called it a spectacular ending but overall I was somewhat satisfied. It was sad to watch them all leave the apartment for the last time but I felt with everyone but the Bing's staying behind it wasn't too sad because really nobody was leaving. I just contradicted myself didn't I? saying closure but then saying that they are all staying behind.
Scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 7 as far as regular episode material I would give it a 5 as far as series ending episodes.

CASH Wine gopher

shuiheart 95 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-07-04, 12:33 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
"I was hoping for some past guest starts to be there......Janice, Rachel's parents, The Gellers, etc."

I have to disagree here. The finale ended as the series began with the 6 friends. The finale focused on them. Any guest stars would have just been a distraction.

I also thought it was an ok finale (felt more like a regular episode). I got a lot of the closure I was looking for in terms of Ross and Rachel and Monica and Chandler. (I would have been just as happy if R&R had decided that their relationship would never work and it was time to move on. The only thing that I wouldn't have liked was the proposal that I'd heard rumors of.) I guess we are supposed to know that Phoebe will be happy with mike and have a family. I was very disappointed with Joey's story line though. I knew there would be no "setting him up for Hollywood/Joey" because the producers stated that they weren't going to do it, but I walked away from the finale not really knowing that Joey was going to be ok. That kind of bothered me.

I did like how Phoebe had a part in R&R getting back together. She's always had that role with the two of them, so it was nice to see it in the finale.

That's not saying I wasn't crying through several parts of the finale, but I cry at most emotional things.

05-07-04, 12:53 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
I see your point about it starting with the 6 of them and ending with the 6 of them. I had not thought of it that way and you are right. That is how it should have ended. Ok, I feel better about that now.(I hope that didn't come off as sarcastic because I didn't want it too)

CASH Wine gopher

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-07-04, 04:23 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
I loved the whole twins thing but didn't understand why their parents and everyone else didn't go to the hospital for the birth

Good point Brv. For all the other births on the show (Ben, the triplets, Emma) the whole gang headed to the hospital.

At least Erica didn't get the doctor who loved Fonzie.
"No woman ever falls in love with a man unless she has a better opinion of him than he deserves."

05-07-04, 06:49 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
Remember, he didn't think he WAS Fonzie, he just loved Fonzie.
I thought they might name the girl Chandler Jr. Jr., ha ha ha .

CASH Wine gopher

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-04, 12:38 PM (EST)
5. "It reminded me why"
I stopped watching it a long time ago
Much hoopla, big poopla.

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-04, 01:00 PM (EST)
7. "RE: It reminded me why"
Same here, Moonie. I stopped watching a few seasons ago ('bout when I started watching Survivor), and have only caught a few shows since then, but I wasn't that impressed with the finale. I'm glad R&R got together, but it did seem forced.

Also, was it just me, or did the actors seem like they were forcing the characters? There were a lot of scenes where I thought they really overacted.

It was ok, just not as funny as many episodes in the past. Oh well, I guess they can't all go out with a bang the way MASH did. It will be interesting to see the final viewing numbers for Friends, though.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-04, 02:54 PM (EST)
8. "RE: It reminded me why"
I turned after Survivor. Having not watched the show for about 8 years, since Ross went to Japan and Rachel debated, then rushed to the airport to tell him She Loved Him. Imagine my disdain when I tuned in to find Ross wondering, at nauseating length, whether he should run to the aiport and Tell Rachel He Loved Her before she moved to Paris. These two wasted eight years to get back to essentially the same episode.

I think a better series would be the Bings at home. I was at least mildly amused by their new parenthood.

Finally, Aniston may be honed and toned but she still looked superannuated in that miniskirt.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

shuiheart 95 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-07-04, 03:11 PM (EST)
9. "RE: It reminded me why"
LAST EDITED ON 05-07-04 AT 03:34 PM (EST)

"Finally, Aniston may be honed and toned but she still looked superannuated in that miniskirt."

100% agreement from me. I kept thinking, she looked like a catholic school girl. And who in their right mind would wear that on an 8-hour plane flight? I'd be too worried about falling asleep and accidentally flashing the whole plane when my legs uncrossed!

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-04, 04:02 PM (EST)
11. "RE: It reminded me why"
I am on par with you, Ginger. After years of caring half less, I tuned in for no real special reason. Two observations (both weak because I simply really do not care...)

1. The ending was interesting in the song selection ("Embryonic Journey"- insert obvious symbolism here____) and the peep hole at the end kind almost inverted the subject/object dichotomy.

2. It was a feel good endig in the spirit of Cheers as opposed to a shock, big bang ending like Newhart and Seinfeld...

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-04, 04:47 PM (EST)
24. "RE: It reminded me why"
I still think the ending of Newhart was one of the most brilliant finales ever.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-04, 03:55 PM (EST)
10. "overacting"
I thought Joey, Phoebe and Monica had some bad character moments that really stuck out at me. Thought maybe it was just me.

Mowliemowliemowlie 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-12-04, 03:52 PM (EST)
23. "RE: It reminded me why"
51 Million was the number.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-04, 05:45 PM (EST)
19. "poopla?"
Oy! Such language!

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-07-04, 04:20 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
LAST EDITED ON 05-07-04 AT 04:21 PM (EST)

I was generally pleased. It was a solid episode just like always. It really felt like a normal episode as opposed to saying goodbye. I did shed some tears when R&R got back together, which shocked me because we all knew that was going to happen. Honestly, I would have liked it if they'd gotten R&R back together last season, after Emma was born. Then we could have seen how their relationship developed the second time around.

The twins were a happy surprise, again something that would have been nicer to see earlier in the season, so we could have seen how Monica and Chandler adjusted to parenthood. Of course, I guess the hallmark of a good show and good finale is to always leave you wanting more, and I think they definitely succeeded in that.

ETA: Finale ratings - 51 million viewers, the fourth most watched series finale in history (behind MASH, Cheers and Seinfeld.)
"No woman ever falls in love with a man unless she has a better opinion of him than he deserves."

GlassJax 1062 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-07-04, 06:30 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
Just good that they ended it before they "jumped the shark."

I liked the "Cheers"-style ending and appreciate not bringing in all the bit characters one last time ala Sienfield.

Sweater_Puffs 269 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-07-04, 06:45 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
I expected more tear jerking moments, but I think the moral of the story is that you just can't say goodbye to good friends THAT easily. I think that when they went to go get some coffee, it was symbolic for how they will forever live in re-runs.

What bothered me was Ross' indifference towards Emma, and that he was willing to just let Rachael take her and miss out on all of her growing up. Unrealistic.

05-07-04, 06:54 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
If you did what I do for a living it isn't all that un realistic. LOL. One would think though that it would be out of character for Ross, however when was the last time we saw Ben? I don't know why they would introduce these kids and then make it seem as if the parents aren't even involved. I guess that is true to real life but not to their characters.

CASH Wine gopher

Sweater_Puffs 269 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-08-04, 05:01 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
True, they don't even mention Ben that much. What do you do for a living?

05-09-04, 01:22 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
I'm a process server and 90% of the papers I serve are from the D.A. for child support.

CASH Wine gopher

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-10-04, 01:17 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
Didn't see it, did't want to. But, after hearing a radio report this morning while driving home from a father/son retreat I kinda wish I had.

I heard that the interplay between R&R was used word for word on SNL between W and Rummie over recent events. Didn't see either, but now wish I could have.

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

Violet Nyte 165 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-10-04, 03:19 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
I have no clue what's going on with Friends anymore. It stopped being funny after Monica and Chandler's wedding, IMO. I've always hated R&R, too. Thanks to re-runs, though, I'll get to see the "classic" (ie: funny) episodes!

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

05-13-04, 08:25 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
My opinion? I'm glad it's over. I never thought this show was funny.

"Don't be stupid, Stupid!"

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-04, 10:36 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
It's not over, they're airing it yet again this Thursday night.

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-22-04, 09:08 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Opinions on the Friends Finale"
It's amazing the different things that you can find here, if you actually go looking around. I have been so stuck in the AI forum, I didn't realize there was anything else.

So what a nice suprise to see a topic on "Friends", my very favoroite show of all time. (I even named one of my children after a person on the show)

The ending was everything that I expected. I knew R and R would get back together, how else could they end it? I mean after all these years of us watching them off and on again. Perfect ending.

I loved that Chandler and Monica had twins. I love those two.

I will be watching "Joey". I hope it lives up to the wonderful show that was "Friends". It will be missed.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •