The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Practice cancelled"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

KScott 3265 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-11-04, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Practice cancelled"
According to TV Guide:

OFF THE DOCKET:
As expected, ABC is folding David E. Kelley's eight-year-old Practice in May, but the network has ordered a Kelley-scripted spin-off centered on James Spader. According to USA Today, the new series will begin to take shape this month on The Practice, when Spader's character, Alan Shore, is fired, files a wrongful-termination suit and joins a bigger firm. Practice co-stars Rhona Mitra and Jessica Capshaw are also expected to join the spin-off.

When they fired the originals I quit watching, they screwed up if you ask me. Of course it was getting a little "out there".

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Practice cancelled buckeyegirl 03-11-04 1
 RE: The Practice cancelled SurvivorBlows 03-11-04 2
 RE: The Practice cancelled smiley 03-12-04 3
 RE: The Practice cancelled wildchickenhunter 03-12-04 4
 RE: The Practice cancelled Big Al 03-26-04 5
 2 spinoffs scheduled... KScott 03-31-04 6
   RE: 2 spinoffs scheduled... SurvivorBlows 04-01-04 7
       RE: 2 spinoffs scheduled... calamityc 04-20-04 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

buckeyegirl 5449 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-11-04, 11:19 AM (EST)
1. "RE: The Practice cancelled"
I'm not really surprised that it got cancelled. I can't believe they kept it on after most of the original cast quit. I'm not sure if I'll watch the spin-off though...

A Kyngsladye Original. RMMW!

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

03-11-04, 02:56 PM (EST)
2. "RE: The Practice cancelled"
LAST EDITED ON 03-11-04 AT 02:58 PM (EST)

That's wierd... you know, the show had survived Rob Lowe's Lyon's Den and was actually performing pretty good in the ratings of late and was one of ABC's better ranked shows (ya, I know that doesn't mean much...) -- at least until NBC's Crossing Jordan came back.

Rhona Mitra and Jessica Capshaw are two of the newest characters, so it makes sense to leave Jimmy, Ellenor, and Eugene behind.

Honestly, I don't think the show lost much this season -- I never cared much for the Bobby/Lindsay romance storyline and Alan easily replaed Bobby's questionable ethics aspect (probably going TOO ridiculously far over that line IMHO) -- hell, the only thing I probably miss is Lara Flynn Boyle, LOL...

Wierd to cancel it and replace it with three of the same characters though... the show has clearly changed to focus around Alan and become less of an ensemble show, but it sounds like change for the sake of change -- that'd be like Law & Order cancelling itself everytime a few characters left.

-SB

smiley 2009 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-12-04, 08:18 AM (EST)
3. "RE: The Practice cancelled"
me too....I watched the first episode with the new cast and it was no where near as good as the original cast.

*Proud Member of the RR/RW Old Fart Club*

wildchickenhunter 3192 desperate attention whore postings

03-12-04, 08:33 AM (EST)
4. "RE: The Practice cancelled"
I stopped watching a few years ago.
I really started losing interest after Bobby was tried for murder and got off. Once Linsey was convicted of murder and then was out of jail a few weeks later, I just couldn't take it anymore.
I really liked the first 3 years though.

Flying my car to the nudie bar!

Big Al 293 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-26-04, 01:51 PM (EST)
5. "RE: The Practice cancelled"
Based on this season, I only wish it was cancelled last season. This season has somewhat destroyed previous seasons for me. I first became aware of this show late in its first season and it soon became my favorite noncomedy TV show. It has always been over the top for me and nonrealistic but entertaining. I would say over 3/4 of the jurys vote opposite to what I would have voted sitting on their jurys. The show gives me the impression that the writers think most people are stupid to buy the ridiculous scenarios this firm has often offered as defenses The John Laraquette (sp?) shows are an example. I think the writers have got reasonable doubt mixed up with no doubt. Despite this I loved the show as drama.

Before this season they fired half the cast which by itself was OK. However, putting aside the lost work by those fired actors, they actually were lucky because the characters they played at least left with some integrity.

Look what they did to who is left. Eugene was a strong advocate of his clients who would do anything legally to win for his side. But he also had a conscious which periodically would give him great guilt feelings about the scum he was getting off and the effect it was having on innocents. Now they have him playing an uptight hardass foil for Spader who Eugene is often made to look foolish.

Jimmy came into the show as a buffoon but over the years they have shown him as a kind intelligent man with real attorney skills. Now they have him back as a buffoon asskissing lackey to Eugene He is the butt of Spader's jokes and is constantly made to look foolish. Could an associate treat a pardner like that in a real firm?

Then we have Elinor (sp?). A strongly opinionated woman who did not back down to anyone during periods of crisis even her friends. Now she is shown as a weak figure almiost hypnotized by Spader who plays and controls her. I believe she had a child a few seasons back who is hardly ever mentioned and Elinor never mentioned the child's father. I hope they don't do a cheap trick later and reveal it was Spader.

I really wonder how these actors feel about what they did to their characters and to playing weak backgrounds charaters to Spader.

This firm has always crossed ethics boundaries in protecting their clients but usually tried to not crosses legal boundaries. Now we have Spader who constantly crosses that line. Of course they are throwing us the crap that down deep he is really a caring individual. Elinor tries to reinforce the little things we see to show this. I just find him creepy.

In a way, this season has spoiled the over all run of this series for me. Get it off as soon as possible.

KScott 3265 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-04, 02:56 PM (EST)
6. "2 spinoffs scheduled..."
PRACTICE MAKES TWO SPINOFFS?: Producer David E. Kelley is pitching ABC a half-hour comedy centered on Camryn Manheim's Practice attorney, Ellenor Frutt, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The series, which would debut in early 2005, would follow Ellenor as she returns home following the demise of her legal drama, er, law firm. As previously reported, ABC has already picked up a Kelley-produced Practice spinoff starring James Spader. The Practice ends its eight-year run in May, but the franchise will be around in one form or another for all eternity.

- of course it's a Slicey production!

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

04-01-04, 00:06 AM (EST)
7. "RE: 2 spinoffs scheduled..."
Returns home to where?

Eugene was just carrying on this week about how the firm *IS* their family...

calamityc 1041 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-20-04, 07:55 PM (EST)
8. "RE: 2 spinoffs scheduled..."
Drat! I was hoping to find some fans on this thread, but I think I am a minority of one. I thought I was going to really like the spinoff with James Spader, but I don't care much for the part William Shatner is playing. Rebecca DeMornay was wicked as an associate partner in this week's episode. Previews say Bobby comes back in the last couple of episodes to take on Alan, and yep, I'll be watching that!
cc

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •