The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-22-04, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-22-04 AT 01:19 PM (EST)

There was a bit of swearing involved.

I liked it, though...thought the pacing was good (not too much bang bang you're dead have a drink bang bang he's dead have a drink), the dialogue (odd bits of humor and a WHOLE LOTTA CUSSIN) intriguing, the cast sound (although Keith Carradine has ridden this western thing around so long he's starting to look like Saint Keith of the Colt 45 with all the woven hair)...what did you think?

A murderer named Persimmon Phil?

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... Mistral 03-23-04 1
 RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... wildchickenhunter 03-23-04 2
   RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... ginger 03-29-04 3
       RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... wildchickenhunter 03-29-04 4
           RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... JRome 03-29-04 5
           RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... ginger 03-29-04 6
   RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... SurvivorBlows 03-29-04 7
 I call it "Old West Sopranos" Molaholic 03-29-04 8
   RE: I call it "Old West Sopranos" Mistral 03-30-04 9
       RE: I call it "Old West Sopranos" ginger 03-30-04 10
       RE: I call it "Old West Sopranos" Molaholic 03-31-04 11
   RE: I call it "Old West Sopranos" SurvivorBlows 03-31-04 18
 RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... wildchickenhunter 03-31-04 12
   RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... ginger 03-31-04 13
 Deadwood gets 2nd season KScott 03-31-04 14
   RE: Deadwood gets 2nd season ginger 03-31-04 15
 RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... Ra_8secs 03-31-04 16
   RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... SurvivorBlows 03-31-04 17
   RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... Molaholic 04-03-04 19
       RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&... ginger 04-05-04 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Mistral 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-23-04, 10:17 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
We taped it, because DH is a huge fan of cowboy stuff (and I think Ian McShane is still hot!)

I found it a little bit hard to follow, maybe it was just me. But we'll see how it progresses in the next few weeks. Sometimes the pilots get convoluted, trying to introduce every character that might appear later.

You're right about Keith....ever since "The Long Riders" he's always looked the wild west role, no matter what he was in.

wildchickenhunter 3192 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-23-04, 11:46 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
I liked it. The language didn't bother me, but as you know from my OT post I still question the accuracy.
The true "wild west" was a very short period. It generally lasted only about 20 years or so.....Maybe, 1870 to 1890 or 1895. Population moved quickly west and established small towns and brought some sembelance of civilization. So I was watching for enjoyment as well as historical accuracy.
I liked watching the true entreprenuer spirit.People moving to new towns and setting up business. I found some of that real interesting.
I hope they stay on this tacked.....keep the story going, but give us a feel for the average folk of that time.

Flying my car to the nudie bar!

03-29-04, 12:26 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
Still liking this &*$^%! show. Although I may never eat pork again.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

03-29-04, 01:00 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
Me too!
What is up with "Calamity Jane"? Is she supposed to be Wild Bills wife or just his side kick. They keep talking about Wild Bill trying to get a steak for his new bride, but where is the bride?
I loved the doctor last night going to the hookers and giving them pu**y cream. That was funny! I am sure the whole group must have the clap. Might explain why in that period of time the life span was only 30 years or so.....The ones that lived longer avoided the clap I bet.

The dead bodies nad the pigs is funny too!

JRome 77 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-29-04, 01:17 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
For some reason I just can't bring myself to stay up for this after the sopranos.

03-29-04, 01:37 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
Calamity loved Wild Bill but they were not romantically involved. She asked to be buried next to him at Deadwood (and was).
She's a bit of a cartoon in this show - the real Calamity seems a tad more dignified.
Charlie Utter was real, too, although apparently a bit of a dandy/neatness freak, which the HBO Utter is, obviously, not.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-04, 02:31 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
>I liked it. The language didn't bother me, but as you
>know from my OT post I still question the accuracy.

I think the creator has been about as clear as possible on that topic:

http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/behind/therealdeadwood.shtml

Executive producer David Milch warns that Deadwood is not a docu-drama about the famed outlaw town. "I want to make it clear," he says, "that I've had my ##### bored off by many things that are historically accurate."

That said, Milch spent months immersing himself in the true stories of the people of 19th century Deadwood, absorbing not just the events, but also the subtle motivations behind them. "I like to read the primary materials; I love reading the Black Hills Pioneer, you know," he says. "I could read that all day. I'm interested in the personalities who were kind of the first prime movers in the community."

Molaholic 9015 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-04, 11:40 PM (EST)
8. "I call it "Old West Sopranos""
Face it everyone, you can't avoid all the parallels. Besides the language (maybe someone can do a "f**k" count and see which show has more...). Who will be the first to call Saloon No. 10 "Badda Bing"?
I can't wait for Wild Bill to be delt his 'aces and eights' hand as Pat Garrett walks up behind him!
Deadwood is absolutly the best new show put out by HBO.

Mistral 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-30-04, 10:17 AM (EST)
9. "RE: I call it "Old West Sopranos""

>I can't wait for Wild Bill
>to be delt his 'aces
>and eights' hand as Pat
>Garrett walks up behind him!

Don't you mean Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett?

Off the top of my head, I can't remember how Wild Bill bought it. Guess I'll go do a google search.

At least this week's episode wasn't as convoluted as the pilot. I still have a tough time telling all those scruffy-looking guys apart, though.

03-30-04, 04:09 PM (EST)
10. "RE: I call it "Old West Sopranos""
Wild Bill was shot in the back. Can't remember who, just remember something about "Dead Man's Hand."

03-31-04, 00:47 AM (EST)
11. "RE: I call it "Old West Sopranos""
LAST EDITED ON 03-31-04 AT 00:50 AM (EST)

OK, you're right. Billy the Kid/Pat Garrett is right.
Just did the google search and it was Jack McCool who gunned down Hickok at Saloon No. 10 in August 1876. He was holding two black aces, two black eights and the jack of diamonds ... now known as the "dead man's hand". Someone asked me today (talking about the show at work) if he would have won the pot with that hand ...
Story is he gets set up to sit with his back to the door (his usual practice is to sit against the wall) and McCool is able to drill him behind the ear.

Still say that Deadwood is great.

03-31-04, 11:54 PM (EST)
18. "RE: I call it "Old West Sopranos""
LAST EDITED ON 03-31-04 AT 11:54 PM (EST)

I made The Sopranos comparision when posting immediately after seeing the first episode on recast:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID45/218.shtml

I thought this was really good -- it's basically a Western version of The Sopranos

...smart move by HBO, they finally found a great lead-out to compliment, the only problem is my understanding that the town only existed as an outlaw region for a couple of years (which kinda limits the long-term series potential.)

-SB

03-31-04, 09:06 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
After SB post and link yesterday, I went out and found and read a bunch of things about Deadwood. Quite a bit of history in a very short period of time happened in deadwood.
Lots of famous people and incidents were around from the Spring of 1876 till 1878. Couldn't find a good map though.
Can anyone find a good map of the deadwood area during the summer of 1876 or 1877?

03-31-04, 02:14 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
Well, I googled around but I'm sure you already did. Lots of train maps and current maps and larger maps circa 1878 but nothing exactly as you wished. I am certainly learning (or relearning) a lot about this period, though - the Deadwood and Old West sites are pretty intriguing.

I'd also recommend (for more fictionalized Deadwood with some real characters, including Bill and Jane and Charlie) "Deadwood" by Ron Hanson (he wrote "Atticus").

KScott 3265 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-04, 02:58 PM (EST)
14. "Deadwood gets 2nd season"
QUICK DRAW: HBO has renewed Deadwood for a second season after just two episodes on the air. The Western drama drew a record 5.8 million viewers for its premiere. In its second outing on Sunday, it dropped off to a still-solid 4.9 million viewers.

- of course it's a Slicey production!

03-31-04, 05:36 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Deadwood gets 2nd season"
Yeeeeeee-HAW! Or should I say, Yeeeeee f___king HAW!

I also read that Keith Carridine is being tapped for a show called "the Savages" about Mel Gibson's family life (I am serious, folks-it's Mel's world and we just view it). This leads me to wonder if the "dead man's hand" will get played by the end of the season.

Ra_8secs 1081 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-31-04, 09:44 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
I continue to like the show. It's cool, well-paced, the cursing doesn't bother me, nor does the full frontal monty we got this week.

How any episodes is it supposed to last?

I am opposed to millionaires, but it would be dangerous to offer me the position. -- Mark Twain

03-31-04, 11:48 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
>How any episodes is it supposed to last?

12. Here's the release:

HBO AIMS FOR A NEW SEASON OF DEADWOOD, WITH WESTERN DRAMA TO RETURN FOR MORE EPISODES NEXT YEAR

LOS ANGELES, March 31, 2004 - HBO has renewed the new western drama series DEADWOOD for a second season, it was announced today by Carolyn Strauss, president, HBO Entertainment. Created and executive produced by David Milch (“NYPD Blue,” “Hill Street Blues”), the show is scheduled to begin production of 12 new episodes this July, with debut set for 2005 on HBO. “DEADWOOD is off to a terrific start, having already generated a strong positive response from subscribers and critics,” noted Strauss. “I can’t wait to see what David Milch has in store for the second season of this intriguing series.” “I’m grateful for this vote of confidence,” said Milch. “That it comes early, and without qualification, is typical of the way HBO operates.” Bringing new twists to an enduring genre, the 12-episode first season of DEADWOOD launched Sunday, March 21, with shows debuting at 10:00 p.m. (ET), immediately following new episodes of “The Sopranos.” Combining fictional and historical characters, the series is set in the Deadwood camp in the Black Hills of South Dakota, circa 1876, and stars Timothy Olyphant, Ian McShane, Molly Parker, Keith Carradine, John Hawkes, Brad Dourif, William Sanderson, Paula Malcomson and Powers Boothe. The launch of DEADWOOD sparked critical raves, with the New York Times observing that “its riffs of hard-boiled realism are bold,” adding, “Once the story takes hold, it is hard to turn away.” Giving the series a grade of A-, Entertainment Weekly noted that DEADWOOD “makes the West wilder than you’ve ever seen it,” while the Hollywood Reporter describes the show as “always fascinating,” hailing it for “a force and an intelligence that is most impressive.” DEADWOOD is produced by HBO Original Programming in association with Red Board Productions and Paramount Network Television; created and executive produced by David Milch; co-executive producer Gregg Fienberg; producer, Davis Guggenheim; producer, Scott Stephens; consulting producer, Jody Worth.

04-03-04, 10:39 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
I continue to like the show. It's cool, well-paced, the cursing doesn't bother me, nor does the full frontal monty we got this week.

I donno, perhaps I'm being a little hetro ... but I guess I'm not quite used to seeing some guy with a hand full of his own johnson shouting at the top of his lungs. Maybe it was my imagination (gawd forbid) but I thought I also saw 'something' on the business end of his willie.
(But I did like the line; "put away your iron!")

sigpic a GeorgiaBelle creation MMIV

04-05-04, 01:10 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Any of you @#%&*s see that @#$&* new show, Deadwood, lat night?"
Those seconds were kind of jarring.

The show continues to keep me up past my bedtime, though, esp. now that a rival saloon/brothel has been set up.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •