The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Artcurus 42 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

07-27-03, 03:18 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Hi All,

This is going to be a long one.
I have a couple of comments about all of this. First, I am an avid collector of child singers, I have 200+ performances in mp3, some dating all the way back to the early 80's. Some are awesome, some will make your ears bleed. {G}
I am extremely picky about these performances, I for one, didnt think that Tiffany Evans (Changes-Star Search) was all that good, she screamed it, when compared to kids who actually have range + power, of which I have several, Tori included. If anyone wants to hear something absolutely incredible, mail me.
As for Morgan, he's been here before, he showed up in a show called America's Most Talented Kid earlier this year, and he blew it on that one. I mean COMPLETELY blew it, the performance was just not up to par. I am not here to trash performances and/or kids, so I'll leave it at that.
Tori and Taylor aside, this is the not first time that not so good perfomances got through. It's happened just about every show that had child singers. Star Search and Tiffany (there was lot of kids that lost to her that better range and power. Dont get me wrong, I am very happy for Tiffany, and how much her life has changed)is one example. Ironically, her competitor, CJ Johnson 13 year old, is the one that's working with Brian McKnight.
The sad fact is that this group will more than likely never make the airwaves (radio), which leads me to my next point.
One of the biggest issues here is radio viability, or in laymans terms, can this performer make it to airwaves. To all the naysayers, it is very possible for a preteen to have a hit song, the climate is more friendly that in the 80's and early 90s. Albeit more than likely on country radio. ie: Billy Gilman
However for this to work, they have to find third party songs, ie: Martina McBride's Concrete Angel. The problem with say Tori doing "Pour Me" by Trick Pony, is that the first line goes like this- "Pour me, Pour Me, Pour Me, another shot of whiskey", they would laughed off stage.
Anyway, I digress. On the issue of radio viability, and for the sake of argument excluding all except Tori and Taylor, who HAS radio viability?
My vote is with Tori, and that comes from listening to kids sing for years. If her parents wised up, and started shopping for a radio friendly country song, she would probably make it to the air, compared to (since I am leaving out the rest of the AIJR group) Tiffany Evans.

What do you guys think?

Art

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Playability and Originality spinningwords 08-01-03 1
   RE: Playability and Originality Artcurus 08-01-03 2
 RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... managerr 08-01-03 3
   RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... Artcurus 08-02-03 4
       RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... BlueJeansJane 08-02-03 5
           RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... Artcurus 08-02-03 7
 RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... GDonatello 08-02-03 6
   RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... Artcurus 08-02-03 8
       RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... GDonatello 08-04-03 9
           RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... Artcurus 08-04-03 10
               RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... spinningwords 08-08-03 21
 RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... BlueJeansJane 08-07-03 11
   RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... Artcurus 08-07-03 12
       RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... BlueJeansJane 08-07-03 13
           RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... GDonatello 08-07-03 14
               RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... Artcurus 08-07-03 15
               RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... BlueJeansJane 08-07-03 16
 RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... fUNKifUL 08-07-03 17
   RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... Artcurus 08-07-03 18
       RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... fUNKifUL 08-07-03 19
 RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... GlassJax 08-07-03 20
   RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... spinningwords 08-08-03 22
   RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/... Artcurus 08-08-03 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

spinningwords 96 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-01-03, 06:48 PM (EST)
1. "Playability and Originality"
LAST EDITED ON 08-01-03 AT 06:51 PM (EST)

Agree with you completely Art and in fact I was going to post a separate topic about Danielle and the fact that I do not feel she would be good market material on the airwaves despite the fact that everyone has been going on and on about her clear voice.

I actually find her voice although yes Clear, it is at times hard to listen to and rather ordinary even. The other problem I have with Danielle is that she seems to be trying to be another Tori or Taylor and has not tried to be herself. First there was the song where she made the departure from her regular style, and then as the weeks have gone on she has made subtle changes until last week she actually LOOKED like an older version of Tori complete with knitted cap and boots. I didn't fall for it and apparently neither did America. I will probably be flamed for this comment but if Danielle hopes to get ahead in the music industry she will have to develop her own sense of style and not rely on someone who has already made it. Tori and Taylor slipped in because America liked the sisters for some reason and I don't think Danielle has gotten past that. Maybe it's her parents that have been pushing this but whatever it is she needs to get rid of it. For this reason, I would prefer to see any other member of the group go up over Danielle; yes even the hated Morgan or AJ. But my personal choice at this point is Katelyn although I know she won't get in as she has never been in the top 3.

Spinning.

08-01-03, 11:31 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Playability and Originality"
Hi Spinning,

Sorry I missed this, I didnt have the email alert on for this thread DOH!
You are absloutely correct, Danielle has changed her appearence subtly to match the sisters. It just dawned on me.
However, I do disgree, Dani should be in the group. Go check my LONG post earlier tonight. Granted she doesnt have the power voicewise the rest do, but she's needed in for backup, in fact, she's excellent for a backup singer. I went into detail on this on the long post.

I will not bash kids or performances, but if you will notice, that I normally do not mention AJ or Morgan, and I'll leave it at that. And with Katelyn, honestly I just havent paid that much attention.

The one I feel sorry for is Jordan, this poor girl tries so hard, and ironically, it's been said that TORI wants her in the group. I voted for Jordan after T. passed through, apparently her fans didnt get the message.

BTW, on the 80's show, Dani and Jordan SHOULD HAVE SWITCHED SONGS. No question about it.

Dani's identity crisis aside, I am afraid that she and Jordan are in real trouble. I can pretty much already guess who is going to be the last member, and it's not particularly up to America to decide if you know what I mean.

Art
===============================================================
"Go Shawty, itcha your birthday!...Ya find me in da club!" 50 Cent-In Da Club

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

08-01-03, 11:59 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
We have to remember that the voting audience for this show is a lot younger than it is for American Idol.

As an adult, the voice that appeals to me most is Danielle. But I do think that Tori provides the best overall package. The results aren't honestly too surprising to me. If you're a youngster, would you rather vote for boring power ballad Danielle or now Tori and Taylor--two girls who look like they are having a lot of fun?

Danielle's identity crisis is making things all that much worse for her I think. I think her only chance of making this group is go to back to a power ballad and hope enough older voters are outraged enough that she hasn't made the group yet that they'll call as vociferously for American Juniors. The demographic that watches and presumably votes for this show (8-17) isn't going to send her through.

08-02-03, 00:42 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Hi Managgerr,

Last post tonight. I promise. (G)

Danielle's identity crisis is making things all that much worse for her I think.

Agreed. However, I wouldnt be so sure about the age level of the ppl voting. (G)

Anway, About Dani's voice, I went into detail on this on the long thread below this one.

It all goes back to back to performance and my theory on radio viability. Here's the rundown as I see it Dani is good, but lacks power. Jordan is struggling and song choice is killing both girls. Tori is definitely radio viable, Taylor isnt, Chauncey is good but not radio viable, Lucy is radio viable, Chantelle is not. Jordan and Dani are not. AJ and Morgan are not, though some disagree with me. Katelyn I am witholding judgement as I havent been paying much attention to her.

They all have had good performances, but if you take a long serious look and compare the kids that I say are radio viable, to those who are not, you should start seeing differences.

Art
==============================================================
"Go shawty, itcha birthday!..Ya find me in da club!" 50 Cent-In Da Club

BlueJeansJane 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-02-03, 03:09 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Why do people think Danielle is having an identity crisis? Just b/c she did "Locomotion" and wore a beanie? These kids probably have a rack of clothes brought to them and OTHER people help them pick out what to wear. Tori does not "own" the beanie or uptempo songs. I think Danielle is herself every week onstage and just coming into her personal style. She is only 11 years old. Why should she already have a defined image? Danielle has such a professional, beautiful voice that hits every note perfectly. This group is such a personality/cuteness contest and I'm looking forward to hearing Danielle White as a solo act someday. I think she can make it with or without this group.

Nikki

08-02-03, 04:31 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Hi Nikki,

Why do people think Danielle is having an identity crisis? Just b/c she did "Locomotion" and wore a beanie? These kids probably have a rack of clothes brought to them and OTHER people help them pick out what to wear. Tori does not "own" the beanie or uptempo songs. I think Danielle is herself every week onstage and just coming into her personal style.

None of us here are actually bashing or putting down Dani. We have all said that Dani has a nice voice and would be awesome as a backup singer as an addition to the group. She does great on ballads.

She is only 11 years old. Why should she already have a defined image? Danielle has such a professional, beautiful voice that hits every note perfectly. This group is such a personality/cuteness contest

There in the lies the problem Nikki, seems that talent has gone by the wayside with this group when you consider that the next member, without a doubt, is more than likely going to be a certain male. Dani is talented enough for this group, there is not doubt about that.

Many of us are in the agreement that this group is going to end up hurting any chance at all of a successful solo career for many of these kids and as I have said before, Tori needs to head to Nashville and get out from under this.

Art
============================================================
"Go Shawty, itcha birthday..Ya find me in da Club!" 50 Cent-In Da Club

GDonatello 25 desperate attention whore postings

08-02-03, 03:36 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
First, I am an avid collector of child singers, I have 200+...

Man that is sick!

08-02-03, 04:33 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Alrighty then, may I ask why are you here? (G)

08-04-03, 06:17 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Oh curious Art - Sorry. I thought, from reading your post, that you were collecting the CHILDREN themselves!

08-04-03, 07:09 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Hi GDon,

Hehe, let's see 200 kids? in a 3 bedroom double wide? hmm. SURE WHY NOT! LET"S GO FOR IT!

Have you been to this board?

http://idolforums.com/index.php?s=fdda7a3b6bf17c397ae2da7f0cb46b42&showforum=25

Like Nickelodean on acid!

Art

08-08-03, 05:34 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
>
>Have you been to this board?
>
>
>
>http://idolforums.com/index.php?s=fdda7a3b6bf17c397ae2da7f0cb46b42&showforum=25
>
>Like Nickelodean on acid!
>

Good grief - if the kids are the ones voting things it's no wonder things get a little topsy turvey. I got dizzy just reading some of those posts.

08-07-03, 01:34 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Hey,
Art. Where do yo get all these mp3s???

Nikki

08-07-03, 02:04 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Hi Nikki,

Various sources. The Mini Pops are in a class by themselves with 8 albums, from 1982-1988. I honestly havent got all these recorded yet, it's very time consuming because it goes at the speed of the turntable and there is no way in hell I am doing the christmas album, which is by far the worse thing ever recorded. I also have most of the performances by Kids Incorporated, another 80's venture.
Other performances came from talk shows, ( 7 year old performing I Will Always Love YOu and Biddi Biddi Bom Bom from Sally among one and one of the the most INCREDIBLE performances EVER, a 10 year old performing "Broken Wings", who matched MARTINA MCBRIDE note for note.) These talk show performances are like tyring to shoot fish in a pond with a 22. It's awesome when I catch them.
The rest came from Star Search I, II, III (unfourtunately I missed the first go around from the 80's), America's Most Talented Kid and finally American Idol.

I'll hook you up if you are really interested.

Art

08-07-03, 02:07 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Hey Art,
If it is easy for you to do I would loved to be hooked up! Thanks.

Nikki

08-07-03, 02:37 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Alright! Art and Nikki are hookin' up! Way to go Art.

08-07-03, 02:43 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Hehehe,

You so funny GD!

So when do we need to call the Exorcist!?!

Art

08-07-03, 02:43 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
GDonatello, that was funny in elementary school.

Nikki

fUNKifUL 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-07-03, 05:39 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
What you said about CJ, is that good?

08-07-03, 06:13 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
C.J. Johnson? Yes. It a later show on Star Search, Arsenio updated on what was happening with some of them, and CJ was one. He said he had been working with Brian McKnight. They even had a clip.

Art

fUNKifUL 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-07-03, 08:18 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
Ok, thats good to hear because I think he has really good talents. For awhile, I never got to catch up to what he was doing & someone told me about Star Search & when he was on, I was amazed from how much he had grown =)

GlassJax 1062 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-07-03, 10:36 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
I'm with GD. Art kinda creeps me out...

08-08-03, 06:00 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
>I'm with GD. Art kinda
>creeps me out...
>

Why would someone who likes a particular format of music creep you out? It's quite obvious that Art knows what he is talking about and has done a lot of research. I believe the rules here on the board are that it's ok to disagree with an opinion on this board but it's not ok to personally attack someone. Saying that someone creeps you out is walking an awfully fine line.
Art has just as much right as anyone else to listen to whatever music he wants to as you do and to post his opinions. He also has the right to collect whatever music he wishes. While I don't necessarily always agree with him, I enjoy reading his posts and find them to be very thought provoking. I believe he is a great source of information and has provided a lot of insight into the child music/acting industry. We all have our own reasons for enjoying this music and watching it and just because someone has said they have a certain number of items in their personal collection is no reason to attack them.

08-08-03, 11:28 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Tori/Taylor andThe Rest/To All/ Group Please Read"
First, thanks Spinningwords.

Second. I like GDon, I think he's cool as he## and I love his sense of humour.

As for GlassJax,

Then why are you here? (G)

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •