The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Idol Commerce"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-05-07, 02:50 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Idol Commerce"
This is to track the impact on sales by guests appearing on Idol or by Idol contestants themselves. This initial data is from a USA today blog post, Idol Chatter, by Ken Barnes--note how well Gwen Stefani sold after her appearance last week!--:

-------
Elliott takes a plunge

As I feared, Elliott Yamin’s sales took a sizable hit in the album’s second week, according to Nielsen SoundScan. He drops from No. 3 to No. 28 on the chart, selling 30,000 — one-third of his first week’s sales. That brings his total to 120,000, but at this pace it will be a fairly long, hard slog to top a quarter million.

Other Idols on the album chart (and a few who have fallen off):

> Daughtry is once again king of the charting Idols, but he drops 4-6, selling 66,000 — 13% off the previous week’s total. Grand total is 2.11 million.

> Carrie falls 15-16, only because there are 10 debuts ahead of her. Her sales were up 4% to 39,000, and her total is 5.16 million.

> Katharine drops 74-93, falling 12% in sales down to 9,900 for a total of 279,000.

> Kellie falls 131-150, selling 6,100, 9% off the previous week, for a total of 484,000. Should still be three weeks to the 500,000 mark, though.

> Fantasia’s down 139-152 on the chart, selling 6,000 copies, down just 3%. Total: 336,000

> Off the chart, Taylor sold 2,900, down from 3,400 the previous week. Total: 664,000. Ruben sold 1,300, down from 1,500, for a total of 218,000. Clay sold 700, down from 800, to bring his total to 507,000. And Kelly Clarkson sold 4,300, down a bit from 4,400, for a total of 5.7 million.

Gwen Stefani’s Sweet Escape jumps to No. 1 on the digital songs chart, selling 140,000 in the week she performed on Idol.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/idolchatter/

-----------

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Idol Commerce zazzy 04-05-07 1
   RE: Idol Commerce Snidget 04-05-07 2
       RE: Idol Commerce zazzy 04-05-07 3
 RE: Idol Commerce zazzy 04-09-07 4
 RE: Idol Commerce zazzy 04-09-07 5
   RE: Idol Commerce zazzy 04-09-07 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

04-05-07, 02:54 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Idol Commerce"
Someone on MJ's board was discussing the impact of Daughtry's Home song being used as the boot song--they were comparing the week to week sales lift to Daniel Powter's "Bad Day" lift last year--wish I had kept the message because finding it now would be hard but from what I recall, Daniel sold over a million downloads with Bad Day by having it on Idol.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-05-07, 03:10 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Idol Commerce"
If I remember it seemed those first two or three seasons it seemed people who were still somebody in the business didn't really want to be associated with Amer. Idol that much. It had that "it is for has beens" kinda air to it.

Once people started noticing that upturn in sales that came from the show they sure do seem to get a lot more people willing to be on the show.

I think the "Bad Day" song had been around for awhile before Idol started using it, then it really took off. I suspect Daughtry's Home would have someting like that happen.

"I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top."
- An English Professor

04-05-07, 03:35 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Idol Commerce"
LAST EDITED ON 04-05-07 AT 03:36 PM (EST)

From what I recall of the discussion, the song had been around in Europe and number one in 2005 but not the US. In the US the song preceeded the album in 2006--the album did not come out in the US until after the song had been on the show for several weeks.

04-09-07, 02:14 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Idol Commerce"
Here are some 18 week sales comparisons from Nevada on MJ's Big Blog, posted April 4:

After 18 weeks, Carrie’s “Some Hearts” had sold 2,456,660 albums.
After 18 weeks, Clay’s debut album, “Measure of a Man” had sold 2,334,976 albums.

After 18 weeks, Chris’s “Daughtry” had sold 2,039,337 albums.
After 18 weeks, Kelly’s “Thankful” had only sold 1,430,551 at the 18 week mark; while Breakaway did slightly better with 1,817,657 copies.

04-09-07, 02:18 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Idol Commerce"
Some download data from MJ's:

Kirsten Apr 4th, 2007 at 9:33 am

Idol download numbers for the week (singles):

13 Daughtry “It’s Not Over” 44432 (-15%) 1,030,087 - Now Platinum

22 Katharine McPhee “Over It” 36381 (-9%) 243,756

25 Carrie Underwood “Before He Cheats” 35846 (10%) 918,491

29 Daughtry “Home” 29002 (-4%) 184,612

50 Carrie Underwood “Wasted” 19820 (-11%) 157,755

Song featured on Idol:

1 Gwen Stevani “Sweet Escape” 140,242 (67%) 1,115,788 - Now Platinum

04-09-07, 02:23 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Idol Commerce"
And some discussion of how well songs sold after a returning idol appears on the show:

------------

AI definitely helps to move those units. The song Gwen sang on the show saw a 67% increase in downloads propelling her to the top of the Download Chart (and making the song platinum) this week. She had the #2 song on the Hot 100, barely edged out by the person who sang with her on the show, Akon.

Kirsten Apr 6th, 2007 at 12:08 pm

db: Is there a similarly noticeable increase in sales for former Idols who appear on the show??

Kellie saw a 37% increase in sales and Carrie a 33% increase in sales the week that they appeared on Idol. Fantasia did not get a boost (but she also did not sing a song from her album which the other two did).

-----------

And, here is a benchmark for JLo before she is on the show this week:

-----------

Kirsten Apr 6th, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Interesting to note about JLos sales, i forget how much she sold just in the states, but world wide she sold 117k?

Jennifer Lopez sold 48,149 in the US last week.

BTW, for those who have not seen it, here is Bo’s new video for “Blades of Glory”:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DP3PYz-Zpb4

------------

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •