The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"So..........Did I Miss Much?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-24-06, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"So..........Did I Miss Much?"
After Rock Star INXS, wherein the top, say, 7 contestants were ten times better, and more diverse stylistically, than 85% of the AI candidates I've watched for the past few seasons, I decided to spare myself this season's Idol. Too many nights lost to Ryan Seacrest and Paula. Plus, as I realized during RS, I don't like pop. I like rock. I loathe most of the themes on AI and I don't listen to AM radio.

I've lurked here from time to time in case the Next Superstar truly was in evidence but I never read anything about anyone that made me wish I'd watched this season.

So, I right? Are you all less than excited about your final 2? Would I be whining about Mandisa if I had watched? See if you can convince me to tune in next year; betcha can't.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? Glow 05-24-06 1
   RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? emydi 05-24-06 2
       RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? Magnolia_Rocker 05-24-06 6
           RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? Glow 05-24-06 7
           RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? emydi 05-24-06 11
   RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? sica077 05-24-06 15
 RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? Devious Weasel 05-24-06 3
 Why I love AI geekboy 05-24-06 4
 RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? Snidget 05-24-06 5
 RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? Tahj 05-24-06 8
   RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? ginger 05-24-06 9
       a bit... niteowl0205 05-24-06 10
       RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? geekboy 05-24-06 12
       RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? Devious Weasel 05-24-06 13
           RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? sylvester 05-26-06 20
               RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? ginger 05-26-06 21
 RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? TanNymph 05-24-06 14
 RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? zazzy 05-24-06 16
   RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? zazzy 05-24-06 17
   RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? Magnolia_Rocker 05-30-06 25
       RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? Glow 05-30-06 26
 RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? toddE 05-26-06 18
   RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? ginger 05-26-06 22
 RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? mrc 05-26-06 19
 RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? Hoobie 05-26-06 23
 RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? J Slice 05-28-06 24
 RE: So..........Did I Miss Much? geg6 05-30-06 27

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 12:54 PM (EST)
1. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
I agree with you and I certainly won't try to convince you to watch next year. Well, I agree with you for the most part. They brought me two contestants this season that made the show worth my time.

Are they as good as Marty Casey? *shrug* Probably not. But I love them both and I think they are both amazingly talented. The exposure they received on American Idol is going to be well worth it.

I'll be watching next year, of course, waiting for my next Bo/Chris/Bucky.

"I learned two words a long time ago that help out a lot: 'Screw it.' If something's bothering you, don't dwell on it. Just let it go. Worrying ain't gonna do nothing but make it worse." - Bucky Covington

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 01:29 PM (EST)
2. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
I knew you were going to post this!!! Ditto on what the darling glowie said!

Bucky is so darn cute...Chris is so dam "beddable" I can hardly stand it..I actually hooted and hollered when I saw them both in the audience!

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-24-06, 02:02 PM (EST)
6. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
LOL! When they would pan to either of them I would say, "Oh! Honey look it's Bucky! Look, there's Chris!" Let's just say he wasn't as excited with the spottings as I was.

All that was missing was a Bo panning.

Siggy thanks to Syren!

and yes, I even said "Look! There's Constantine! He was more impressed with that since he was a Connie/Bo fan last year. *giggles*

05-24-06, 02:16 PM (EST)
7. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
As I mentioned elsewhere (I forget where), I do not like Constantine very much. He annoys the bejeebus out of me BUT I loved him rolling his eyes last night. *giggle*

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 03:30 PM (EST)
11. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
snorfle...my dbf B was in the other room watching the golf channel (of course) and when I screamed WOO HOO CHRIS...he yelled "SHUT THE DOOR" he doesn't even appreciate that I compare the two of them!! how dare he! Later when I screamed OOH Bucky...I think he went and took a shower..LOL

sica077 523 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-24-06, 04:53 PM (EST)
15. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-24-06 AT 04:53 PM (EST)

ohhh, ditto what you said, Glow...

and nice pic!

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 01:33 PM (EST)
3. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
And you are?

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-24-06, 01:40 PM (EST)
4. "Why I love AI"
I'm quite positive that I am not going to convince you to watch AI next year, and quite frankly it doesn't bother me if you don't. I don't know if your post is trying to 'stir up some flames', or if you truly are looking for a reason to watch?

I watch AI for several simple reasons. I like the idea of 'discovering undiscovered talent', and i like that America has a say in who moves on and who doesn't. But most of all i simply love how each season a small handful of contestants mature and grow vocally over the course of the show. This season, that person definatley would be Elliot, and i think Bucky showed some good signs of growth also.

Beyond that, each season there are a handful of people that AI finds that makes you wonder why on Earth they are not already signed to a deal. For me, this season those people would be Chris and Taylor.

Additionally, i just think its great fun to watch the judges each week, to disect and try to figure out who is going home, and several other things. For me, its pure entertainment.

Its been a great season.

geekboy

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 01:56 PM (EST)
5. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
You? are going to be seriously depleted of pablum and saccarine if you don't watch every moment from now on!!

Seriously, talent-wise this year was much better than usual. Even at the top 24 I rarely had to watch the show with my mute on. Usually I need to have at least one performance muted out even when we are down to only 3 or 4 people, and sometimes even with only two left.

Judge-wise they were worse than ever and next year they should just suspend the three of them in separate cages from the ceiling to keep them away from each other. Why they enjoy the juvenile antics so much I do not know. Heck we could probably put a bobble head of each of them on the desk with a pull string with the same 3 things Randy said all season, the same 1 thing that Paula said all season and well Simon we would need about 6 things and they would actually have to relate to the quality of the performance.

I know the judging panel can be too dull and boring (see Top Chef) but it is clear the disfunctional interpersonal issues they have with each other is more important than the contestants that it is sickening. I actually enjoyed the one show I did on tape because I just did the performances and none of the glop from those three. However as long as the ratings go up or hold they will only get worse as that junk appears to be part of the show people tune in for. I would not be suprised if one of the three of them ends up dead live on national tv during a show soon (which may be a reason to tune in, you get to see who kills who live)

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-24-06, 02:23 PM (EST)
8. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
You're right, you didn't miss much. I wanted it to be better than it was. It seemed like it had so much potential which went unrealized.

I'll still watch it though. It's my guilty pleasure.

Moves courtesy of Syren

05-24-06, 03:22 PM (EST)
9. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
Okay. Sounds like there was some talent, and there were a couple hotties, but no one is all that excited about the final 2. At some point the guilty pleasure turned into guilty pain, so I turned it off. I was just curious now if things picked up after last year. I always forget who Carrie was, let alone that she won.

niteowl0205 136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-24-06, 03:29 PM (EST)
10. "a bit..."
I think if you like rock or something other than pop, then you missed the best season of all. Really, entertaining and not too pop. However, I think that last season some of the performances by Bo and Constantine were more 'entertaining'.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-24-06, 03:43 PM (EST)
12. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
I, for one, was excited by the final two. Let me explain.

I was anticipating an all-guy final three (and possibly final 4), but I must admit that Kat stepped up her game the last couple weeks fo the competition and she deserves to be in teh finale, as does Taylor.

Taylor, in my opinion, was the most exciting, unique and talented performer of the men this season and Kat was the best of the weak bunch of girls this season, so i have no problem with them in the finale.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 03:53 PM (EST)
13. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
G, there is a rabidness to Taylor's fans that this show hasn't seen since the Clay Aiken days.

sylvester 555 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-06, 11:23 AM (EST)
20. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
"G, there is a rabidness to Taylor's fans that this show hasn't seen since the Clay Aiken days."

Lol, I actually agree with you on this one DW.

I see 'some' similarities between the Claymates & the Soul Patrol, although the SP will never reach the same level imho.

Claymates deified Clay, it really got to be obnoxious. He's just a man, but they didn't (and alot probably still don't) see it that way. Alot of them will never, ever accept that he has a sex life, let alone a gay one.

The Soul Patrol loves Taylor. Big time. But, for the most part they know he's human.

05-26-06, 12:20 PM (EST)
21. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
From the little bits I've seen, the demographic of the Claymates and the (*snickers*) Soul Patrol is not dissimilar.

I didn't really get a sense of rabid enthusiasm from most of you guys, though.

I don't think I'll be back to AI. Although, who knows? I'd hate to miss the season where they find the next Patsy Cline.

TanNymph 309 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-24-06, 04:43 PM (EST)
14. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
This is not an attempt to change your mind. After all, you gotta do what makes YOU happy.

I agree with you that RockStar, in general, was more entertaining. I think that's because I also prefer Rock to Pop. However, I also enjoy pop and country. My favorite AI contestant this year was Chris. Goes back to the rock preference. I enjoy Taylor's preformances much more than Kat's. I didn't enjoy Elliot at all. My favorites from AI4 were Bo, Constantine and Carrie. I like Carrie's cd. My daughter has it. I probably wouldn't have bought it for myself. I am really looking forward to Rockstar this summmer. I hope it's as good as last time. Rock on JD, Jordis and Marty!!! And I did buy the INXS cd for myself.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 06:39 PM (EST)
16. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
The show increased its audience by 14-15 percent this year--in its fifth year; very unusual for a tv show.

I don't see them changing the judges anytime soon--first, the ratings and second, the long term contracts. AI is also able to sell the American show to other countries, so they are really raking in the money on this franchise. They are not going to mess with success. Maybe tape the show and ff through the judges if they bug you that much.

You did miss some better guys this year, and yes, there are many who were very taken with Taylor this year and voted for 4 hours in hopes he would win. You also missed Kat, Mandisa, and Paris, all of whom will be around for years to come. Both Kat and Paris need some time to grow into their great talents.

I read on other boards where many were buying Cingular phones for the first time so they could text their votes in for Taylor--funny reading about baby boomers finally learning how to text! The point is that Taylor is so unique and has awakened music interest on a group of people who have long given up on regular radio and certainly on "pop".

Also read an article that said that AI is considering raising the age limit to 30--and that has to be because their eyes have been opened about other talented people like Taylor. I was bummed after Bo did not win last year--and I thought about not watching this year, too. Taylor changed that for me. For some it was Chris. Anyway, you can download a lot of their stuff off of the net so you can see some of what we all liked.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings

05-24-06, 06:42 PM (EST)
17. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
P.S. Not too late to see some of the season--8pm tonight. I expect good things from Taylor tonight--maybe they will let him cut loose a bit? Chris will play with Live, Elliot will be on....lots to see--like a sampler from the season. Enjoy.

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-30-06, 11:33 AM (EST)
25. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
I thought the age limit was 16-30 now? They "need" to raise it 18-35. *give me a chance to try out*

Siggy thanks to Syren!

05-30-06, 12:11 PM (EST)
26. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
nope. 29. But I agree with you that they should raise it to 35 and let those that can play their instruments. My Buckylove was lost without his guitar for the first few weeks.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-26-06, 00:17 AM (EST)
18. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
Hi again Ginger.
This season AI had good singers, pretty diverse. I watched Rockstar until the final 3, got bored of it. Watched all of Idol this season. They had rockers, country singers, soul divas, strong-voice belters, most everything but of course nothing edgy or alternative. But does alternative even exist in 2006? Really?
Taylor is a disappointing Idol to me, Ruben all over again. Better on TV than radio/iPod. More personality than anything else. But he is solid, as are the others. The thing this season is no one person was soo outstanding and full of star quality, but all of the top 10 (except, maybe, Ace) were good. I didn't find JD that interesting or stellar, either. And Suzie is back again for season 2 of Rockstar? AI does have singers who kick Suzie's behind.
Some earlier seasons had weak singers going far on AI, but a couple real stars in there. No more weak singers the last couple seasons, maybe no real stars. But the show is the best it's been, and I have to confess I've watched all seasons (with lots of TiVo fast-forwarding. Lots!)

05-26-06, 12:24 PM (EST)
22. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
You know, that's a point -- if I'd had Tivo, I'm sure the whole AI experience would be more pleasant.

To some extent I am weaning away from the shows I don't really care that much about - e.g., Apprentice and AI. Not a big vow to recant all reality, just don't have as much enthusiasm for the genre.

Anyway, gang, thanks for the comments. I'll ALWAYS lurk. Be very afraid.

Well, a little uneasy.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-06, 00:24 AM (EST)
19. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
The final 2 were the final 2 that I wanted from the final 24. I was pretty satisfied with this year's brain rot.

Hoobie 569 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-06, 10:47 PM (EST)
23. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
I agree with you Ginger. Rock Star: INXS was a far superior show all around. I have high hopes for Supernova as well, but I don't like the concept (or the individual singers) as much as I loved INXS.

Not going to try to get you to watch AI in January, but Rock Star has been relegated to poor time slots, and even the background story stuff to another channel.

I know this isn't a thread for RS, but we need to spread the word so the viewership gets to even 30% of the AI viewership.

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

05-28-06, 01:46 AM (EST)
24. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
Well, I liked the winner...

but this is coming from a 21-year-old who has been known to blast Hall and Oates from her stereo, openly admits to loving Michael McDonald, and has a Pavlovian response to grey-haired geeks.

Let's go Mets!

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

05-30-06, 12:12 PM (EST)
27. "RE: So..........Did I Miss Much?"
If you've been lurking, then you probably know where I stand.

I'm done with AI. Thank heaven, that's one monkey off my back. I, too, am much more of a rock fan than anything. Chris was my one reason for tuning in this season (and only because after the auditions, my sister called me to tell me there was someone I'd like) and when he got voted off I was done.

And honestly? Chris couldn't hold a candle to almost all of the candidates on Rock Star last summer, especially the final 5 (even Mig and I disliked him intensely compared to his competition).

And people get angry with me when I say this but I don't care...I have found the AI winners, with the exception of Kelly Clarkson and that's only when she cut all ties with them, to be the kind of lowest common denominator performers that I most detest. To me, they are the "Walker: Texas Rangers" of the music world. Just because something is popular does not make it good. And thus we have Taylor Hicks.

Goddess of the Steeler Nation

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •