The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-22-06, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
There's been a lot of discussion about this so I thought it deserved it's own thread.

So Chris sang an arrangement originally done by "Live" and no credit was given to them for it on the show. I'm surprised that some people think it somehow invalidates Chris's performance. I don't understand why. He still sang it fantastically and he certainly sounded different from the "Live" version. It had his own stamp on it.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... FOXmePUHLEEZ 03-22-06 1
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... frisky 03-22-06 6
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... emydi 03-22-06 2
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Devious Weasel 03-22-06 8
       RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... emydi 03-22-06 16
           RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... nailbone 03-22-06 22
               RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Iconoclastic 03-22-06 28
                   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... nailbone 03-22-06 29
                       RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Tahj 03-22-06 37
           RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Devious Weasel 03-22-06 32
               RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... geekboy 03-22-06 35
                   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Devious Weasel 03-22-06 51
                   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... hplotr251 03-22-06 52
               RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Breezy 03-22-06 43
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... CattyChat 03-22-06 3
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... emydi 03-22-06 4
       RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... CattyChat 03-22-06 19
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... geg6 03-22-06 5
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... LIVEURBESTLIFE 03-22-06 7
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... frisky 03-22-06 10
       RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... LIVEURBESTLIFE 03-22-06 14
           RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... frisky 03-22-06 20
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... LisaPles 03-22-06 13
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Devious Weasel 03-22-06 9
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... geg6 03-22-06 11
       RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... frisky 03-22-06 12
           RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... LisaPles 03-22-06 15
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... geekboy 03-22-06 17
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... hplotr251 03-22-06 53
 What I'm wondering is if emydi 03-22-06 18
   RE: What I'm wondering is if frisky 03-22-06 21
       RE: What I'm wondering is if geekboy 03-22-06 25
           RE: What I'm wondering is if Glow 03-22-06 34
           RE: What I'm wondering is if frisky 03-22-06 36
               RE: What I'm wondering is if geekboy 03-22-06 39
                   RE: What I'm wondering is if Magnolia_Rocker 03-22-06 40
                   RE: What I'm wondering is if frisky 03-22-06 41
                       RE: What I'm wondering is if Magnolia_Rocker 03-22-06 42
               RE: What I'm wondering is if emydi 03-22-06 47
                   RE: What I'm wondering is if frisky 03-22-06 48
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Glow 03-22-06 23
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... samboohoo 03-22-06 24
       RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Glow 03-22-06 27
           RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... samboohoo 03-22-06 30
               RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Glow 03-22-06 33
                   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... frisky 03-22-06 38
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... nailbone 03-22-06 26
       RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Glow 03-22-06 31
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... shanana banana 03-22-06 44
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... frisky 03-22-06 45
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Tahj 03-22-06 46
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... emydi 03-22-06 49
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... nailbone 03-22-06 50
       RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Madre 03-24-06 54
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... strid333 03-25-06 55
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Kattrikk 03-26-06 56
       RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... geg6 03-27-06 57
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... LIVEURBESTLIFE 03-27-06 58
       RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... WickedOne 03-27-06 59
           RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Glow 03-27-06 60
               RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... WickedOne 03-27-06 61
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Glow 03-28-06 62
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Magnolia_Rocker 03-28-06 63
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Glow 03-28-06 64
 RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... geekboy 03-28-06 65
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Glow 03-28-06 66
   RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Tahj 03-28-06 67
       RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... geekboy 03-28-06 68
           RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the ... Glow 03-28-06 69
 Case closed Maroonclown 03-29-06 70

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

FOXmePUHLEEZ 172 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-22-06, 01:30 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
He's educating me as he performs each week. He's daring and is showing some of us what the rock genre is/should be about. I have not heard the version of the song you refer to, but you could just feel his version was HIS and not a copied one.

I bet each week, if they tune in the NXS "I Wanna be a Rock Star" group is biting its fingernails going, "Rock on!"

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-22-06, 01:44 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
LAST EDITED ON 03-22-06 AT 01:50 PM (EST)

And this is the problem as I see it. It's not that Chris covered another song. Not for me, anyway. I don't care if he does a cover of a song from an era-gone-by. I wish that he would cover ME, but that's beside the point.

The problem is that innocent little AI fans like FOX here (and like me) believed that Chris' abilities last night went BEYOND singing and into the realm of ARRANGEMENTS. This isn't a matter of just switching up the melody a bit a la Bucky. It's a matter of rewriting the arrangement, a feat that would have him practically teaching each musician in the band to play their instrument his way. The creativity and artistry that would have to be involved here, for him to accomplish this within five days, would lead people to believe that he is an artistic genius.

Which clearly he is not. He's damn good. But not THAT good.

***ETA, after reading Di's post below (*rroowwrrrr*), the following is MHO about what went down last night. Not fact, just good ol' reliable speculation.

It's not Chris' fault. AI's producers, editors etc manipulated the introductory piece so that it would appear to the audience that Chris crafted this interpretation himself. Chris covers current bands, and he has always given credit where credit is due. I think he probably did so in this case, but they chose not to edit in the part where he said: "I'm going to change it up a bit and do Live's version of the song."

AI is so desperate to get rid of Kevin that they're pimping people who don't need to be pimped. I hope this doesn't backfire on Chris.

Rolly made this.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 01:36 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
LAST EDITED ON 03-22-06 AT 01:48 PM (EST)

frisky *meow* posted about this and she thought the AI producers manipulated it so that it was not known even tho Chris acknowledged that it was Live's (am I correct, frisky?)

geekboy said that he rewatched the tape and Chris did not claim it was HIS arrangement.

I liked it and I like Chris. It was not his best vocals though. I don't want Chris to come out of his "box". I like how he sings and the genre he sings in.

I think demanding that he "come out of his comfort zone" is just a consequence of these stupid "theme" shows that AI promotes. Chris will never be a ballad singer and I don't want to hear him sing one.

AI is the wrong vehicle for Chris to go bc of his genre. But it has given him the vast recognition and popularity that he needed to make it big in his genre. I don't think "I wanna be a Rock Star" would help him as much.

I, like glowie, don't want him to win the AI Idol title 2nd or 3rd is fine by me..give the title to Taylor or Mandisa or better yet Elliott who needs it more.

Dweeze, I was "intrigued" by your post in the Rankings thread, although I disagree with you. Why do you think Chris has become a parody of himself?

hey, but I'm biased

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 01:54 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Stevie Wonder Night – well, I won’t do Stevie, I’ll do Chili Peppers doing Stevie. 50’s Night – well, I won’t do a 50’s song, I’ll do Live doing a 50’s song. If Ace doing nothing but songs with falsetto verges on self-parody, and it does, so does Chris doing nothing but songs he can fit into his alt-hard rock mode.

I heard a great version of “Not Fade Away” one time – singer, drums, guitar, nothing else. It was intense, passionate, and not just a little bit creepy, considering the lyrics. I loved it. Tell me Chris couldn’t have done that last night, and done it well. But it’s not in his little alt-hard rock box, so he probably didn’t even consider it.

03-22-06, 02:18 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
But that's his genre, why does he HAVE to go outside the box?

I think he's accomplished what he wanted (an in, vast fame and recognition)and should try not to win it (like Bo did last year in finals )

I have a question, do you like Alt hard rock, dweeze? I get the impression from your post that you do not or you just don't listen to it.

I wonder if the people that want him to come out of his "box" really just don't like his genre and the ones that say "keep doing what you're doing" like me love the genre like me and realize he is really good vis a vis other alt hard rock performers.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 02:56 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
I wonder if the people that want him to come out of his "box" really just don't like his genre and the ones that say "keep doing what you're doing" like me love the genre like me and realize he is really good vis a vis other alt hard rock performers.

The only problem I have with that is the inconsistency of the judges, telling one person that they played it safe and need to take more risks, while telling another that they stayed true to themselves and their style. Can it be both ways?

Sig by Arkie!!

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

Iconoclastic 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-22-06, 03:15 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
>The only problem I have with
>that is the inconsistency of
>the judges, telling one person
>that they played it safe
>and need to take more
>risks, while telling another that
>they stayed true to themselves
>and their style. Can
>it be both ways?

If a performance works, its staying true to themselves and their style. If it doesn't work, they played it safe and need to take more risks.

03-22-06, 03:18 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
LOL. And if they took a risk and it didn't work, they should have stayed true to their own style and not compromised.

Sig by Arkie!!

03-22-06, 03:36 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
It's that damned if you do, damned if you don't setup by the judges. I say, if it works, don't fix it. I remember what Clay Aiken said when one the contestants ask him the best way to respond to the judeges criticism. He said, "Remember why you're here, what your own goals are, and what you want to accompish." Something to that effect. It's a fine line between staying true to yourself and compromising. Chris isn't compromising.

Moves courtesy of Syren

03-22-06, 03:23 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Because one of the points of this particular competition is to go outside the box.

And yes, I can't stand the genre. To me it's pointless and repetitive. But I do recognize that he is extremely talented, which is why it is frustrating for me that he doesn't push himself more.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-22-06, 03:35 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
One of the points? Where did you read this? Yes, they have a theme each week, but isn't it up to the individual competitors to take that theme and run with it? And who decides what "going out of the box" really means?

As I've said, I've flip-flopped on this debate. I'm now on the side of letting Chris be Chris, and if he does a cover in an alt-rock style, that's Chris being Chris.

The show gives them a theme, and the purpose of the theme is simply to limit them in their song selection and to make a link between all the songs of the night. What they do with the song they select is their decision.

geekboy

03-22-06, 04:39 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Why have the theme nights if you don't want people to stretch? Simon has made similar comments to that on many occasions.

hplotr251 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-22-06, 11:03 PM (EST)
52. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""

>
>The show gives them a theme,
>and the purpose of the
>theme is simply to limit
>them in their song selection
>and to make a link
>between all the songs of
>the night. What they
>do with the song they
>select is their decision.
>
>geekboy

I couldn't agree with you more geekboy. Carrie and Bo never veered from who they were musically and they were in the finals.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 03:48 PM (EST)
43. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Stands arm and arm with Dweeze.

Chris IS talented, but wrong for this competition if he's not going to go outside his comfort zone.

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-22-06, 01:39 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
I don't have any problems with Chris's performance of "Walk the Line" as arranged by Live at all. I thought Chris did his thing and did pretty well. His overall performance was better than his vocals, though. He really struggled with the lower notes. If his performance was compared to Live's -- sorry, Chris loses out.

What Chris did was deliver the song -- he put his soul into it and told his story. That's what made Chris's performance so great last night, IMO, over the other contestants.

I also don't have any grudge against Chris for the editing "inferring" that it was his arrangement of the song without credit to live. First, who knows if Chris told anyone he borrowed the arrangement? No evidence either way. Unfortunately, the producers edited Chris's clip to make it look like he was the one who arranged the song. Barry obviously hadn't heard of Live's version (may not even know who Live is).

Secondly, unfortunately we have 3 judges who are somewhat ignorant when it comes to rock, so it's not Chris's fault that they all thought it was a Chris original. The judges just have no clue and for 2 weeks in a row gave Chris a little more credit than he deserved. Maybe the Judges should do a little research on what the contestants are singing & how they are singing it before they throw out praise/critism. Know your stuff!

So, overall it was another great performance by Chris. A little weak vocally, but didn't matter. Until I see evidence that Chris tried to take credit for Live's arrangement of "Walk the Line" it doesn't change my opinion on Chris.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

03-22-06, 01:42 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Catt*meow*, don't you think Randy should have known about Live's version, he's always bragging about being in the studio with rockers, I remember him saying Incubus, etc. in a past show...or wait, is Randy blowing air up our collective a$$es? Say it isn't so...

thanks, catt, come by my dresssing room...oops, I guess I didn't remember the lyrics of my song too well

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-22-06, 02:27 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
I think Randy is a huge hot air bag, for the most part. You WOULD think that Randy would've recognized Live's arrangement as performed by Chris, but I think Randy is a name dropper and someone who likes people to THINK he's current with everything.

Chris is the first "shaved head" I wouldn't mind running my fingers over

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 01:44 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
I am thoroughly familiar with Live's version of this song. Yes, Chris' rendition harkens back to it, but it is not a faithful reproduction of it.

I don't get where Dweeze is coming from either. Chris, in no way, seems to be a parody to me. He knows what he is and he keeps true to that. His "box" is one hundred times more original, interesting, and bursting with talent than any of the others who the judges have advised to "step out of your box." I've usually thought that when Simon tells someone that he usually is alluding to the fact that the person has taken on the persona and vocal habits of someone they admire and who they end up being a bad copy of. I can't see the same phenomenon with Chris. And, anyways, anyone looking for any kind of logic in the judges' opinions (with the exception of Simon) is delusional, IMHO.

Goddess of the Steeler Nation

LIVEURBESTLIFE 302 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-22-06, 01:52 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
I can see both sides of the argument and I agree with both sides.

Chris is smart in that he finds a rock cover version in every theme week and then bases his performance on the cover version. He finds something he can relate to and then does his thing.

On the other hand...

It would be a little more creative of him to rock a song on his own without the blueprint of some rock group cover version to follow.

Bo Bice did it last year. I remember his version of "For the Love of Money" the theme to The Apprentice. This song was a 70's R&B hit and Bo Bice managed to rock it out anyway. Now that was out of the box. And personally I would like to see Chris do the same.

Even Ace took a chance by singing "In the Still of the Night" in a jazzy style. I don't know if he borrowed from somebody else or not but it was nice that he took a chance. (I don't think his performance was good but he tried something different--as far as I know anyway)

03-22-06, 01:58 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
But Ace didn't change the melody or arrangement.

You could say that Josh DisGracin did the same thing in AI2 when he butchered "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing." It was countrified (I guess a country band had twangified Aerosmith's version), but the arrangement of the song was unchanged. It was slower and twangier, but the sound was basically the same.

Live's version of I Walk The Line is a completely.different.song than the original.

Rolly made this.

03-22-06, 02:13 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Well in a way you prove my point when you say the Live version has a different arrangement.

Chris copied Live he didn't change the arrangement. Live did. So he didn't take the same chance that Ace or Josh Gracin did. They made a change on thier own. An originial change regardless of how minor you might think it is. They didn't simply follow or do what someone else did.

If Chris had changed the arrangement himself that would be creative instead he used the Live version.

Don't get me wrong I like Chris and I think he is talented but he is playing it safe.

Like I said in my post I would like to see him rock a song with original changes made by Chris not by some other rock group or person.

03-22-06, 02:47 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Okay, then we agree.

Rolly made this.
I think.

LisaPles 740 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-22-06, 02:12 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
>Bo Bice did it last year.
>I remember his version of
>"For the Love of Money"
>the theme to The Apprentice.
>This song was a 70's
>R&B hit and Bo Bice
>managed to rock it out
>anyway. Now that was out
>of the box. And personally
>I would like to see
>Chris do the same.
>

Yes! I was so excited when Bo performed that song. Not only his vocals, but as far as his performance was concerned I thought, this guy is a STAR! I remember the audience went wild.
I am hoping that someone this season will turn it out like that! I don't think Chris is there yet.

03-22-06, 01:55 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
I don't think it invalidates the performance. I think it was an absolutely horrendous piece of carp no matter what it was based on. I do think it invalidates the pimping he got from the judges.

03-22-06, 01:59 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
I do
>think it invalidates the pimping
>he got from the judges.

But, Dweeze, look at the source! They pimp Kevin, for cryin' out loud.

03-22-06, 02:04 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
But Kevin is just so darned pimpable!!

Seriously, though. Chris is getting major pimpage for originality, creativity, etc. that he doesn't deserve. (I still say this is an AI conspiracy and it isn't his fault, though.)

Rolly made this.

LisaPles 740 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 02:16 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
I think Chris is great, but so far I think he has been overrated. Maybe they are pimping him to get the rock viewers to watch. If they were all Kelly Pickleheads, would anyone be watching?

03-22-06, 02:24 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Let me add my $0.02.

If you all have read my posts the past few weeks, you'll notice that i've been flip-flopping re: Chris and what he should/should not do on AI. I admit 100% that i've been a flip-flopper.

I can see this from both sides of the coin.

First and foremost, Simon was correct. AI is a singing competition. It is not the job of the competitors to arrange songs, necessarily. I"m sure they give input to the musical director, or they say "I'd like to do it like Live did on this CD..."

I'm quite positive that is what Chris did. And i have no problem with that. They don't necessarily have to credit the band that they based their interpretation on.

I think back to Clay's brilliant rendition of BOTW in the finals of season two. I'm quite sure he didn't do that "gospeliized" version, but knocked that one out of the park and we dind't know who that was credited to.

BUT...on the other hand....

This isn't "INXS-RockStar". This is American Idol, and each week they have a theme.

I'm torn as to what i would like to see Chris do. Part of me agrees with Simon that he shouldn't compromise, but another part of me argues that is it comprmising to follow the theme of the week?? Will we as viewers get bored with Chris doing the alt-rock thing week after week? Perhaps not, since obviously we didn't get bored with Carrie doing country as much as possible.

For me, it comes down to this. I could care less if he ripped the arrangement from Live, or whomever. It doesn't matter. He rocked out and did the song proud.

This is Chris making a run for the American Idol crown, and who are we to tell him what he should or shouldn't do. I think after Simon's comment last night, i agree with him. Chris is doing something that no AI competitor has done - so far - and that is to NOT step out of his area of comfort and not try to be someone he's not. if I look at it from that perspective, i'd have to say he's being smart, so who am i to question it?

Now, if only Taylor would learn a thing or two from Chris following that performance last night...

geekboy

hplotr251 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-22-06, 11:15 PM (EST)
53. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
>
>
>Now, if only Taylor would learn
>a thing or two from
>Chris following that performance last
>night...
>
>geekboy

OOOHHH...Yeah. What the hell was that? I changed the channel halfway through Taylor's performance. I was in total agreement with Simon.

03-22-06, 02:25 PM (EST)
18. "What I'm wondering is if "
they will broach the subject tonite in the results show...you know these boards are being "watched" by AI...wonder how they will respond, if at all?

I agree with frisky *meow*, it's not his fault I blame AI....should he try to change it up within his box BY HIMSELF like Bo did--Sure...will he... I dunno...but to go out side of his box and sing "why do fools fall in love" um NO!

03-22-06, 02:53 PM (EST)
21. "RE: What I'm wondering is if "
*rrroooowwwwrrrr* *headbutt*

Ryan has been addressing rumours this year. He said something about rumours about somebody (Ayla?) leaving the show a few weeks ago, and she confirmed the rumours were not true. Ryan picked up on that somewhere, and addressed it.

An hour after Chris performed last night, there were seven (7) pages in the Chris fan thread and about 96% of those threads were about The Incident.

I have no doubt that Ryan will clear the air tonight and confirm that Chris was not intentionally trying to mislead us. There is no way they want to risk losing Chris before *snicker* Kevin.

Rolly made this.

03-22-06, 03:08 PM (EST)
25. "RE: What I'm wondering is if "
LAST EDITED ON 03-22-06 AT 03:11 PM (EST)

nothing.needs.to.be.addressed.

to me, this is all a load of carp. What did he do wrong? We can all read something into the highly-edited pre-song blurbs. Get over it. Did the modified ending of Taylor's song mean Barry ripped it from some other cover? What about the octave shifts in Lisa's song? Was that ripped from someone?

Silliness. Pure silliness. I dont' think Ryan should say a thing.

geekboy

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 03:27 PM (EST)
34. "RE: What I'm wondering is if "
I agree with geekboy.

03-22-06, 03:35 PM (EST)
36. "RE: What I'm wondering is if "
I will NOT get over it, thankyouverymuch. I'm rather enjoying it. I'm one of the sickos who enjoys VoteForTheWorst.com and I want Kevin to win the whole damn thing!

All I'm saying is that the official AI fan threads are saturated with The Issue That Will Likely Be Addressed. So I have no doubt that Ryan will clear the air, whether or not you think it needs to be cleared.

Believe what you will, but if you go over there, and I implore you to just take my word for it, there are people who feel BETRAYED by Chris. (Let it be known that I am not one of those people.)

Rolly made this.

03-22-06, 03:38 PM (EST)
39. "RE: What I'm wondering is if "
Oh, trust me, I believe you 100% that people feel betrayed. And to them I say a collective "GET OVER IT".

This is why i only frequent this AI board. I've been to the official board...and i have no desire to go back.

Betrayed? I simply don't get it.

geekboy

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-22-06, 03:40 PM (EST)
40. "RE: What I'm wondering is if "
I'm with gb and Glowie on this....who cares? And the offical fanatic AI boards are staying true to their reputation. I honestly don't think they care who they bash as long as they get the fodder to do it to someone weekly. They are all completely insane.

Siggy thanks to Syren!

03-22-06, 03:41 PM (EST)
41. "RE: What I'm wondering is if "
U wood if U'd go 2 the boards. They RAWK! Chris RAWKS 2 but he lied lied lied!!

Rolly made this.
Too much punctuation??

03-22-06, 03:42 PM (EST)
42. "RE: What I'm wondering is if "
Gah...that dude speak makes me want to cyber kick their a**es off the internet.

Siggy thanks to Syren!

03-22-06, 04:00 PM (EST)
47. "RE: What I'm wondering is if "
LAST EDITED ON 03-22-06 AT 04:02 PM (EST)

def. Ryan will say something....they will not let Chris be seen as a liar/plagiarist, etc.

BTW I love VFTW too!! frisky *headbutt back* I found the stuff on Pickler (who will get the votes if Kevin is booted) very interesting...she's just horrible and wears too much blush...gawd its awful

P.s. Wasn't it Katherine that was supposed to be leaving a few weeks ago? She wanted to go to her home in LA and the others didn't think that would be fair and her stage mom got in a huff about it and said she may leave the competition...also rumors she was prego

"I only have eyes for my wifeemy--I walk the line"

etc "word choice"

03-22-06, 04:04 PM (EST)
48. "RE: What I'm wondering is if "
Yeah, it WAS Katherine. They hate her over at VFTW, too!

Rolly made this.
Good times.

03-22-06, 03:03 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
ummm.
best.idol.contestant.ever.

I don't care whose versions of whose songs he sings. The Stevie/Peppers song "Higher Ground" was a wonderful mixture of the two. Whoever has said it's a Peppers ripoff has never heard them do it.
I don't care who composed it. Last night's version of "Walk the Line" was fantastic. Was it a copy of Live's version? I have no clue. I'm not a fan of Live. Chris is. They're his favorite band, iirc. If this was a copy of Live's version, I'm going to have to look back into Live because they must kick #####. My bottom line? Who cares? He sung a song that was written in the 50's and he is miles and miles better than the rest of the contestants on this show. Way too good for American Idol.

Don't vote for him if you don't think he deserves to be there. Who cares? He's a star. The farther away he is from the finals, the better. IMHO.

*walks off in a huff again*

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 03:05 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
LAST EDITED ON 03-22-06 AT 03:07 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 03-22-06 AT 03:06 PM (EST)

I'm going to have to argue with you here about one thing. It was fantastic. It was absolutely fricking fantastic!!!

*smooch*

ETA: I actually thought about you when he sang this. It reminded me of you, and I knew you would appreciate and lvoe it.

ETAA: Even though he was singing it to me. :} *leaves Bo for Frisky and Glow and fends off Doc for Chris*

It's Arkie Love

03-22-06, 03:13 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
awww. You thought of me? That's very sweet. I, unfortunately, thought of his wife.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still like to do naughty things to him but I'd feel all guilty and stuff.

Bo, on the other hand. I know nothing of his wife. Maybe because they didn't shove his wife in my face and tell me how much he loves her through the.entire.audition.process. and. every.article/interview/whatever.I.read.about.him. Yeah. Yeah. I know, people. Chris loves his wife. blah. blah. blah.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 03:20 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""

It's Arkie Love

I glance here and there at the audition shows just to see and laugh at the bad performances. I don't really watch until the Final 12 are chosen. And I also fast forward through all the talking and braking. I didn't know Chris was married.

03-22-06, 03:24 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Well. pffft. Then clearly, I'm a bigger fan. I go to a few of his fansites daily. His wife is very important to him. His hero. His inspiration. All that wonderful crap. *rolls eyes*

03-22-06, 03:38 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Clearly, she's a b!tch.

Rolly made this.
His wife, not Boo.

03-22-06, 03:10 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
best.idol.contestant.ever.

I'm gonna tell Bo you said that!! You can no longer claim to be a "Bo ho".

I, OTOH, still have Bo first, THEN Chris. Until Chris tops Bo's a capella song, Bo wil be numero Uno.

Sig by Arkie!!

03-22-06, 03:21 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Believe me, "ho" still applies to me when it comes to Bo. "In A Dream". Bo sung that song flawlessly. Gave me chills. Still does just thinking about it.
When I'm down and feeling low
And confusion has touched my soul
How I need some place where I can hide away
Let me fall within your arms
Melt away this cold I feel
All I need is to hold you tonight
Hold me close when I'm cold
Let me hear your beating heart
Close my eyes far away in a dream
In the morning I wake and I'm blessed by God's grace
Just to open my eyes to see your face
Hold you tonight sweet child
Never let me go
Tell me everything, oh, will be alright
In the morning I wake
And I'm blessed by God's grace

But. In my opinion, Chris is more talented.

shanana banana 658 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 03:52 PM (EST)
44. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Very interesting.

As Chris was singing the song, my hubby says, "He HAS to have gotten this arrangement from another band." I say, "No, I bet he arranged it, because he credited the Chili Peppers last week when he used their rendition of the Stevie Wonder song, so why would he not credit again this week if that was the case?"

Now I have egg on my face. LOL.

However, I don't care that Chris used a different version, BUT I do wish the producers wouldn't have edited that tidbit out of the beginning and making it look like Chris rearranged the song himself, because hubby and I were giving him way more credit after hearing the song than he actually deserved. It was a bit misleading.

I am still a major Chris fan and I think he should win it all -- he's mega talented and very hip and current and it's about time a rocker wins. Chris rocks Bo out of the building. But let's keep all the the cards on the table. For those of us who don't listen to alt radio, I never knew there was a version of that song out there by Live. hrrrumph.

Like Geekboy, I am torn between adoring everything Chris does all week, and yet wanting to see him go outside of his alt-rocker comfort zone and STILL manage to tear the place up. Needless to say, Chris is the only one I watch each week with bated breath. ;)

03-22-06, 03:54 PM (EST)
45. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Okay, lookit, folks. I think that at the end of the day, all that matters -- whether or not you think he knew or didn't know, admitted or didn't admit, sang well or didn't sing well, purposely tried to trick us or was totally innocent or stole the song or just interpreted it differently -- all that matters is that I'd still do him.

Rolly made this.

03-22-06, 03:56 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
You in heat big time, Kitty.

Moves courtesy of Syren

03-22-06, 04:05 PM (EST)
49. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""

Nice, kitty....

03-22-06, 04:20 PM (EST)
50. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
*snort* Ah, Frisque', you just crack me up.

Sig by Arkie!!

Madre 36 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-24-06, 11:50 PM (EST)
54. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
I could be wrong, but isn't the idea of theme nights, sort of a measure of a contestants "all around" ability to sing? After all, it was 50's night and Chris' song did not remotely sound of that era. I know the judges want them to make the song their own, but to make it unrecognizable?

I think CHris got lucky two weeks in a row because the CHili Peppers had done a version of Stevie Wonder (which Chris then sayng their version..not his own) and then this other group made a version of Johnny Cash's (which Chris sang their version, not his own) and got credited for being so "original".

Anyone can sing well in their own genre, it's the best singers who can entertain with diversity.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-25-06, 07:37 PM (EST)
55. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Well, I think that Chris did a wonderful version of "Walk the Line" and that I'm saddened that AI didn't give the proper credit to Live (because I'm sure that Chris did). As for getting out the comfort zone, etc, there is something about remaining true to yourself.

Slower ballads, week after week, is boring, but you should stick to your genre. For example, when my dad competed in a huge competition in my home province, (which he won for his category of classical/jazz), the rules stated that he must pick two songs to show vocal range. As my dad was climbing the ranks, he sang an opera piece that had very definite A and B sections which was slower in one section and faster in the other section. For the other song, dad picked a folksy thing (which he said sucked). The judge said he should've never sung that folksy thing to which dad said that the rules stated . . . The judge told my dad that the opera piece showed his range and to stick to that piece.

When somebody completely steps out of the box, it usually is a disaster. I remember how some of the contestants on AI and Canadian Idol, had to work with a bad theme, and it just didn't work. I applaud Chris for finding songs that technically fit the theme but don't compromise his style.

Three is the perfect number.

Kattrikk 565 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-06, 02:00 AM (EST)
56. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
>I applaud
>Chris for finding songs that
>technically fit the theme but
>don't compromise his style.

This says it all in a nutshell for me. To make a theme night song FIT his style IS a stretch IMO.

03-27-06, 09:22 AM (EST)
57. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Exactly. Couldn't have said it any better.

03-27-06, 10:29 AM (EST)
58. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Stridd I agree with you to a point. I think that getting out of your comfort zone is taking a song that is not your style and making it yours by putting your own unique style on it.

Chris copies other groups who have done this. Red Hot Chilli made Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground their own and Live did the same thing with Walk The Line. What I would like to see is Chris make a song rock on his own. For me that would be stepping outside of the box.

Outside of the box doesnt mean he should do another genre of music. For me it means taking a song from another genre and making it rock.

WickedOne 37 desperate attention whore postings

03-27-06, 11:08 AM (EST)
59. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
For me it's simple.I watch the tryouts & laugh myself silly.I listen to the eventual finalists & one will stand out for me.I don't care what they sing or where it comes from.It's the whole package and as long as it appeals to me I'm good.I take everything the judges say with a grain of salt & humor.Others tastes will differ from my own.Adds flavor!From the start I've rooted for Chris.And I like all kinds of music.He simply struck me.

03-27-06, 11:41 AM (EST)
60. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Nicely said. Welcome to the boards, WickedOne.

WickedOne 37 desperate attention whore postings

03-27-06, 04:50 PM (EST)
61. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
(blush)Thanx,glad to be here!Now if someone will explain how I brainfarted & missed DH's & Greys Anatomy last night....Arghhhhhh!Must've had Chris on the brain?he he he

03-28-06, 09:15 AM (EST)
62. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
From vote for the worst:

CHRIS DAUGHTRY --"Walk The Line" by Johnny Cash, in 1955 but as covered by Live.

Chris once again gets his own rock and roll arrangement for the song, which plays into his Alt-Rocker strengths. I don’t know if Chris is telling them how to arrange his songs, or if they’re just doing it for him. Hell, I didn’t even know you COULD sing original versions of songs. So for another week Chris shows off by having a song completely tailored for him, and he unsurprisingly performs it well. I like the way Chris completely ignores the camera while he’s singing. That shows he’s cool. Chris appropriately dresses all in black and sings the song that The Man In Black would’ve approved of, as it is a similar arrangement to Cash’s own re-working of the Nine Inch Nails hit "Hurt." The song starts slow, then builds to a growling orchestral part towards the end. Original, different, well done. Gets high marks from Simon, so it seems Mr. Daughtry has gotten the official "You can make us a lot of money" nod from the producers.

GRADE: A --- Singing it his way, Chris continues to make American Idol his bitch. He might even pull a "I quit the show because I’m too cool to win it." That would rock.

real musicians are sexy

03-28-06, 09:53 AM (EST)
63. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Well, I'm guessing from that summary that they'll never vote for him.

Siggy thanks to Syren!

03-28-06, 10:07 AM (EST)
64. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Deanna has apparently confirmed on her myspace page that Chris did give credit and it was edited out. Which, of course, is what I (and I think most people) assumed all along. I haven't seen it with my own eyes, but if I do find it, I'll edit with a link.

03-28-06, 10:53 AM (EST)
65. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
Personally, i simply cannot believe that this story has gone on for a week, and people are still mad about it.

So.What.

AI is a competition where the contestants sing cover versions fo songs previously done by other artists.

Chris did a song by Johnny Cash, done in a style first arranged by Live. And the into blurb was edited to not include this minor fact.

So.What.

Can we let this 'controversy' die?

geekboy

03-28-06, 11:20 AM (EST)
66. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""

heh. I wish.

03-28-06, 11:50 AM (EST)
67. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""

Dude, NO!!! Wait til it gets up over 100 posts. I'm a DAW ya know.

Moves courtesy of Syren

03-28-06, 12:07 PM (EST)
68. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
OK, i'll help.

.BUMP.

geekboy

03-28-06, 12:09 PM (EST)
69. "RE: Chris's Version of "I Walk the Line""
I can post all of these obnoxiously annoying blurbs I keep seeing.

Maroonclown 5829 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-06, 09:57 AM (EST)
70. "Case closed"
Ryan insured he had a discussion with Chris last night about the arrangement. Now that that has been cleared up can we move on to phone number fiascos?

arkie spring thing

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •