The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Wake Up Call"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

ldh652 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-16-06, 08:57 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Wake Up Call"
As squirmy as the reactions of Ace and Lisa made me last night, it was a good time for a wake up call. It's obvious that some of the contestants expect to sail through these first weeks. You can see it on their faces and in their actions, while others obviously look stressed.

Watching the shock on Ace's face when he was called up (he was sure it would be Kevin) and then the terrified look on Lisa's face, it occurred to me that both of them never considered they would be in the bottom three this early. It's a good reminder to them how fickle the audience can be. Ace, especially, I think had started to feel all he needed to do is get on stage and look good to sail through.

I don't think the results can all be blamed on Kevin votes, either. There's just nothing like a sure thing in this competition...contrary to what some of the contestants seemed to start to feel.

Frankly, I think it was a wake up call for all of them. It will be interesting to see if they step up their performances next week as a reaction. (Except for Mandisa, Taylor, and Chris, of course...who are already perfect!!!!)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Wake Up Call aquariaqueen 03-16-06 1
   RE: Wake Up Call geekboy 03-16-06 2
       RE: Wake Up Call emydi 03-16-06 5
       RE: Wake Up Call KoalaChick 03-16-06 13
           RE: Wake Up Call emydi 03-16-06 14
               RE: Wake Up Call KoalaChick 03-16-06 15
 RE: Wake Up Call CattyChat 03-16-06 3
   RE: Wake Up Call Glow 03-16-06 11
 RE: Wake Up Call tamarama 03-16-06 4
   RE: Wake Up Call Stormy Valley 03-16-06 6
   RE: Wake Up Call geekboy 03-16-06 7
       RE: Wake Up Call dragonflies 03-16-06 9
 RE: Wake Up Call Tahj 03-16-06 8
   RE: Wake Up Call LakerLuv 03-16-06 10
   I agree Stormy Valley 03-16-06 12
   RE: Wake Up Call rjrabbit 03-20-06 18
 RE: Wake Up Call selah 03-16-06 16
   RE: Wake Up Call nazpink 03-17-06 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-16-06, 09:48 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Wake Up Call"
I agree...........nothing like knowing you're the bottom 25%.

Does anyone think there would be a benefit for letting the audience and the contestants know where they all ranked, or would that cause more of a popularity contest vs. talent contest?

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-16-06, 10:31 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Wake Up Call"
i don't think it would help anything. I don't think i would wnat to know either.

geekboy

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-16-06, 11:40 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Wake Up Call"
Gb--I think they "told" us the bottom 6 and top 6

12. Melissa paired with Elliot
11. Lisa paired with Bucky
10. Ace paired with Kevin
9. Kevin
8. Bucky
7. Elliot

The other 6 Paris Kellis Taylor Chris Mandisa and Katherine were the top 6 in what order????

I think this is probably be close to how things will actually shake out...barring a train wreck by top 6/great performance(s) by bottom 6

KoalaChick 509 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-16-06, 02:27 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Wake Up Call"
It IS a wake up call, for sure. I have to admit, I've been complacent about voting this year. But I noticed that last week Ryan said that there were 42 million votes placed, and last night, the number was 32 million. Big drop off! It's MY wake up call to start voting. Vote early, vote often! Can't lose my Ace Eye Candy!

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-06, 02:57 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Wake Up Call"
Remember that 42M was over 2 nights...

and 40 million of them were for me

KoalaChick 509 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-16-06, 04:16 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Wake Up Call"
Oh....right! Well, still have to hit the phone lines. Looks like votefortheworst.com is keeping Kevvie in, I have to cancel as many of their votes as I can. Can you believe he wasn't in the bottom three?!?!

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-16-06, 10:37 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Wake Up Call"
Until they change the voting process, this is what will continue to happen with better "not the best" contestants going home too soon.

There are 12 people to possibly vote for in a 2-hour span -- the majority of which you get a busy signal or "lines are busy" and can't get through. It's impossible to vote for all the ones who deserve to make it another week or your favorites and have a chance to really save them.

Tues night, I attempted for 2 hours to vote for my 4 favorites (neither of which were Ace or Lisa, but I felt they deserved to still be in the running). I probably got through on maybe 1 out of every 20 dials for my 4. It is very frustrating and there are many nights I wouldn't have the time to keep trying.

Unfortunately for people like Ace and Lisa, they may be decent, but most people are too worried about their absolute most favorites and saving them, that the middle ones get left in the cold.

I wish they would either have you vote for who you think deserves to GO, at least until it gets down to maybe 6 or so. It would help make the worst of the worst get the boot.

or

Do like they do on DWTS and have a limit of calls on each phone line, so people can ACTUALLY GET THROUGH on their favorites and they would have to be more discriminatory on where their votes go.

This has always been my problem with this show is the way they do the voting. It is a problem that they refuse to fix. I guess it's more impressive to hear how many millions of votes are made each week, rather than make it fair to the viewers and the contestants.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-06, 01:27 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Wake Up Call"
I agree with all of that. Totally.

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-06, 11:21 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Wake Up Call"
Ace looked positively sick. I felt bad for him - I'm sure he's a nice guy - but I also didn't and wouldn't vote for him.

I actually consider last night's bottom three a positive sign:

Everyone (me too) assumed that Ace would get tons of votes because he's pretty, but the voters just told us all that they want more than a pretty face (Yay!). 4, 5 years ago Ace would probably be sailing through, but pop music has been (slowly) moving away from the boy band/Brittney crap.

Yes, there will always be people voting for story rather than song (Kevin, Kellie, ugh). So yes, there are people there that should go home before Ace or Lisa (Kevin, Kellie) But does that really matter? None of Kevin, Kellie, Ace or Lisa will be in the finals.

I DO, however, have a problem with Paula telling us that every week we should essentially be voting for all but ONE singer. Give me a break. I personally have never voted for more than 2 or 3 -- my favorite, and maybe someone who seems to be in danger but I feel they should stay.

Stormy Valley 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-16-06, 12:51 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Wake Up Call"
I personally have never voted for more than 2 or 3 -- my favorite, and maybe someone who seems to be in danger but I feel they should stay.

I see this as Ace's future. I also think it is what saved Scott so many times. It might even save Lisa for one more week but I doubt it. I really believe she or Kevin will go next.

"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible," -Jamie Raskin

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-06, 12:52 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Wake Up Call"
Personally, i've never had a problem voting via text messaging. Its faster, and cheaper, than calling a number.

I would have expected AI by now, based on the popularity, to have invested in and come up with a good, solid, internet-based voting system.

I guess their deal with Cingular makes this a non-issue for them.

geekboy

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-06, 01:10 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Wake Up Call"
My text messages cost .10 vs .05 per phone call. But I don't have Cingular (yet) anyway.

Also, my family got through about 25 times out of maybe 40 tries. But we waited until more than 1 hour into the voting.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-16-06, 12:58 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Wake Up Call"
Personally, my bottom three were Melissa, Bucky, and Kevin. Everyone talks about Ace and trying to get by on his looks but Kevin is actually the one getting by on his cutesy, cutesy image. Did anyone read the article about him breaking up with his girlfriend because he thought he could get more of the female vote if they knew he was single?

I'm glad Simon was honest about how horrible his song was, because it was. That doesn't seem to matter to the voters. Ace has a strike against him because of his perceived looks and attitude.

Moves courtesy of Syren

LakerLuv 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-16-06, 01:22 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Wake Up Call"
I text my votes and never have a problem. The taste of the audience is fickle and no one really knows why one person gets more votes than others.

Stormy Valley 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-16-06, 01:36 PM (EST)
12. "I agree"
Kevin is coasting. I think all the attention has started to go to his head. That is NOT a good thing.

"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible," -Jamie Raskin

rjrabbit 3269 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-20-06, 02:57 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Wake Up Call"
I totally agree!

selah 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-16-06, 08:57 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Wake Up Call"

I was glad to see Ace called up, he is one who thought his looks, dance steps and posing at the end of his songs would allow him to sail through. I don't think we will see much of a change from him though, what you see now is what you will continue to see until he goes.

I'm sure that Lisa will try harder to make better choices, hopefully she will do better next week.

its a mystery to me why Kevin is still there.. I just don't see anything about him to keep him there unless its the encouragement he gets from Randy and Paula, the audience seems to be listening to the judges.

nazpink 1058 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-17-06, 12:16 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Wake Up Call"
Ugh, I am sick of the people in the competition who aren't the most talented but will stay because of their "appeal". I know in the business of entertainment it's important to have the likable personality but honestly how long will their fame last based on mainly that reason.

For example Kevin and Kelly are going to get by on this alone. Yes, they have decent singing voices but nothing that will keep their fame going for more than a year and if that. Personally, I think that the two of them could benefit from some voice lessons and then see where they can go from there. And as for Ace, well I feel the same way about him, charming looks will only take a person to a certain point.

I feel the real big talent in this competition is Taylor, Mandisa and Chris those three definately deserve to be in the final three.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •