The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Question about Carmen"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

carencey 263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-24-03, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Question about Carmen"
Someone asked me about this and I wasn't sure how to answer, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Carmen is Mormon, yes? Remember on the Real World when Julie got in trouble with BYU for living in a house with men (even though her roommate was female)? I don't know whether Carmen was planning to go to BYU or not, but she certainly was living in a house with guys in it before marriage. Does anyone know if the AI producers did anything special to accommodate Carmen--were her parents or a chaperone around in the house?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Question about Carmen Bebo 04-24-03 1
 RE: Question about Carmen managerr 04-24-03 2
   RE: Question about Carmen trshtvjnky 04-24-03 3
       RE: Question about Carmen dajaki 04-24-03 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-24-03, 02:05 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Question about Carmen"
>Does anyone know if the
>AI producers did anything special
>to accommodate Carmen--were her parents
>or a chaperone around in
>the house?

The real issue with Carmen was that she was under 18 when the show started, so she had to be tutored on set a certain amount of the day. According to Entertainment Weekly, she and her chaperones had their own part of the house - she didn't share a room with the other female contestants. Don't know if the living arrangements changed once she turned 18, or whether she just stayed in her own room.

Bebo says...919 beats 205 - I am your American Idol and the Baroness of Babedom.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-24-03, 02:23 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Question about Carmen"
I thought it was just a room with men? Carmen did move into the girls' room after Julia got kicked out according to Kim C. Julie did a more than just "sharing a house with guys" from what I remember on her season...I think BYU just used that as an excuse.

Even though she was out of college, Neleh slept in some hut with guys every night while she was on Survivor--she didn't seem to get backlash for it.

trshtvjnky 197 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-24-03, 02:44 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Question about Carmen"
Since I live about 5 minutes from BYU, let me add something.

Julie was kicked out of BYU for living with the opposite sex, because she signed the schools honor code saying she wouldn’t and she did. At BYU, when you sign the honor code, you agree to those rules even between semesters. She had even gone to the schools honor code office prior to going on the Real World and they basically told her, yes they would throw her out, but she did it anyway.

Now while Mormons do not like it when you “live with the opposite sex” prior to marriage, Carmen and Neleh did not attend BYU nor did they sign the honor code, so that is probably why not so much has been said about it. I am not sure what Carmen's college plans are, but I would be curious to see what BYU would take into consideration on her acceptance there (i.e. living situation on American Idol).

And let me just say I don’t know WHO was voting for Carmen all those weeks, as most of the people in know in Utah who watch the show, could not stand her – and that includes my MORMON mother!

dajaki 1454 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-24-03, 04:28 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Question about Carmen"
The one thing that I thought was really funny the one time I went over to the AI website was that Carmen thought that people would be surprised to learn that she is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Carmen, honey, you're a white, blonde girl from a small town in Utah. No one is surprised that you are Mormon.

I would be surprised if BYU objected to the AI situation. As long as she was on the show, she was a good advertisement for the church (think Donny and Marie Osmond). I think it's unlikely that the admissions committee will care as long as she still has her temple recommend.

-- dajaki (not a Mormon, but grew up Mormon country and know the religion well)

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •