The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Maybe Not So Bad After All?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

katttywoman 160 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-04-01, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Maybe Not So Bad After All?"
I just wanted to say that I really felt bad for Debb on the Survivor Reunion last night. I may have never really liked her, and I didn't, but it's obvious that all the bad publicity has really hurt her feelings.

My theory is that while people like Jerri and Richard from S1 have also gotten a bad reputation, they're already bad people so they don't care. They're used to getting trashed and they loved it. But from what I saw last night, maybe Debb isn't really all that bad. If she was, she would relish the attention. And now that I think of it, she didn't really piss me off that much, she was just really annoying. There is a difference.

After I saw Debb, I have to admit that I felt a little ashamed of all the trashing of her that I've done. I even went so far to say that she reminded me of Sue! I know most of you guys probably aren't going to like this post, but I felt that I had to speak my mind.

Meow to you too!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All? Bushwacker 05-04-01 1
 RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All? Thinking 05-04-01 2
 RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All? Fast Eddie 05-04-01 3
   RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All? Lainabee 05-04-01 4
 RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All? Mumbo Jumbo 05-04-01 5
   RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All? ItzLisa 05-04-01 6
 RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All? Silvergirl 05-04-01 7
 RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All? HeronNoire 05-05-01 8
   Let it make you stronger, Debb.. larman 05-05-01 9
 No Sympathy Drive My Car 05-05-01 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Bushwacker 74 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-04-01, 12:46 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All?"
It's not that Deb is a "bad" person, it's just that she's annoying as hell. I really lost respect for her when she quit on her teammates in the first challenge. While everyone else was on the raft pulling the rope (after tipping over) she just sat there. And the deal with her relationship with her step son is her own business. It sounds strange but I really don't know all the circumstances.

Thinking 104 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-04-01, 12:49 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All?"
I never trashed her (I wasn't on this board then), but when she was on the Early Show I thought she seemed nice. She said then that she was doing fine because her life was great. Too bad it was a lie...or maybe the publicity SINCE then really hurt her.

I do wish she'd gotten herself composed before going on live TV, though. She had a long time to prepare, after all. She knew this was coming. Not very professional (not that she's a professional, though she does have an agent now.) I think she felt she missed out on all the great friendships that had formed, though Mitchell said he got to know her and liked her after he was booted off. I could see how nervous she was even before she spoke. She looked SO anxious!

I'm also a little surprised that with all their psychological testing they let someone in who lost the perspective that it's just a game (Maralyn, OTOH, loved that she had the experience, short as it was). Also, every one of them should realize if they're going to do this, they're free game in the press--no more privacy.

Of course, the publicity about her and her step-son didn't help. She obviously never considerd what a hey-day the press would have with that one, unfortunately.

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-04-01, 01:14 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All?"
I thought the host was very cruel for putting her on the spot like that and leaving her hanging. The audience seemed to think so too. But after she got it off her chest without crying (just barely), it looked like she felt better. Then after Mitchell said his nice thing she looked a lot happier. I think that in the end it turned out to be a positive experience for her.

Lainabee 57 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-01, 01:22 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All?"
I agree katttywoman. My heart went out to Debb last night. I'd pretty much forgotten about her, though it's obvious the press didn't and hearing her speak really made me feel bad. Granted, the stuff about her relationship with her stepson can't help, but she did seem like a good person and I appreciated what she said. I was also happy when Mitchell took the opportunity to say something nice about her. They made a good point though: three days in the game just to have your life torn apart? Definitely not worth it. It must have taken a lot for her to go to that reunion, and she presented herself well.

Mumbo Jumbo 270 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-04-01, 01:59 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All?"
Rodger said Debb mentioned that her tribemates would be reading about her in the tabloids when she knew she would be voted off the show. Obviously, she knew the relationship with her stepson would become public knowledge and give her (unwanted?)attention. If you knew that going in and didn't want to deal with it, why go? Maybe she didn't know the degree of attention or the vilification to follow?

Granted I felt sorry for her too last night. It's hard not to feel for someone so traumatized. We assume all celebrities have enough money to insulate themselves from criticism but she only got $1500 for her time on the show so I'm sure it wasn't worth it to her. If she goes back to NH and stays out of the public spotlight we'll know whether she doesn't want the attention or just doesn't want the bad attention.

ItzLisa 3350 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-04-01, 04:00 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All?"

>Obviously, she knew the relationship with her stepson would become public knowledge and give her (unwanted?)attention. If you knew that going in and didn't
want to deal with it, why go? Maybe she didn't know the degree of attention or the vilification to follow?
Granted I felt sorry for her too last night. It's hard not to feel for someone so traumatized.

*** I'm sorta just repeating and agreeing with what's being said, and I do feel two ways about it.

First off, it was tough sitting there watching her struggling not to cry on live TV. You have to have some empathy for that, just on a human level.

But on the other side of the coin - to do something like become engaged to one's stepson - that's scandalous enough on a private level. We all know what kind of public scrutiny their lives go through on this show - why would anyone apply for this show who had that kind of skeleton in their closet? Keith filed for bankruptcy, which is something that alot of people unfortunately have to go through, and the media tried to have a field day with it, but that's about all the dirt they could come up with on him. But take something like marrying your stepson and the media torture becomes 100 times worse. Why do that to yourself? I think on another level, Debb may be pretty naive to think her life wouldn't be turned upside down by only three days on this show. And for $1,500??? That's it? Not even close to being worth it. I did feel for her last night though - it was obvious she never knew what hit her.

W.L.S.F.C. - NY chapter

Bubbles: "Er, um, excuse me? Mr. Monster? I was wondering if you would, er, be so kind as to stop destroying Townsville? We like our town very, very much and I would appreciate it if you would just leave. Pretty please with sugerlumps on top?"

Silvergirl 41 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-04-01, 05:58 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All?"
Deb may not be pretty or possess good people skills (S3 contestants take note!), but she did win a place among the 16 Survivors, which is an amazing feat in itself. Other people going into the game must realize that they are open to intense scrutiny, ridicule, not to mention criticism from all kinds of people who are fans and/or bashers and most of whom would not even be considered to appear on the show.

I did feel for Deb, though I feel that we don't know much about her because of her early demise. I think that people who are independent, like Deb and Kel, will not "survive" in their tribe for very long even if they have good survival training. Part of the dynamics of being there is forming relationships with others you have to live with for 42 days. I think that Tina had the right personality - very mother like. Who would vote their mother off the team? She can call it strategy, but I think personality is really the key to winning the game.

All in all, though, I am happy that a woman won! And she won by being nice!! Yayyyyy!

HeronNoire 68 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-01, 02:48 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Maybe Not So Bad After All?"
I agree completely. We never got a chance to know Debb and while the whole stepson thing is more than a bit ICKY, she didn't seem like a bad person at all. Just completely unprepared for what Survivor was about and the scrutiny of the media and public at large. Seeing her get choked up about it and having her express that by being voted off first made her lose her confidence in herself just about made my little heron-heart break! It's kind of a shame that someone with such a fragile psyche got put through the wringer -- Survivor Shrinks, bad bad job!

That said -- was I the only one who warmed (ever so slightly) to Bitchell for saying nice things about Debb? It made me think better of him and also made me wonder if the slimey, conniving, sneering Bitchell we saw was ALL editing. Then again, he seemed slimey in interviews I'd read, too.

Nice of Kel to be sweetly supportive, too. But then, that's not news.

larman 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-05-01, 11:20 AM (EST)
9. "Let it make you stronger, Debb.."
I hope the trauma of such a hit helps make her stronger. Perhaps, this helped her to see more about herself than she had before. She definitely is still processing it and will continue to...This doesn't have to be a set back for her.

I was impressed by the commercial break barrage of hugs by all. If she didn't talk about it, she probably would have a harder time getting over the experience.

TOO BAD it happened LIVE....embarrassing and unnecessary! God, the networks can be cruel!!!! Couldn't Brian or somebody else have asked the question at a different time??

-I'll never apply to a network show!--Gator

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-05-01, 03:05 PM (EST)
10. "No Sympathy"
I have a completely different take on this, while I felt bad while watching her cry, I mostly felt bad for her that the breakdown came on National Television.

I saw an interview with her and her Fiance, they said they were in love didn't understand while people couldn't leave them alone, she was never a mother figure blah blah blah. But she also said that she lost friends and family over her decision to be with this man. Ok my Father in law was never a Dad to me, but he has been related to me for 10 years. See, it's icky ok? She was married to her husband for 20 yrs. She and her Stepson were related. Period.
Now she was well aware how people feel about this,and still, she made an informed decision to get into a very public situation.
She has said many times that she never expected to be voted off, much less voted off first. You think maybe winning a million dollars would have balanced out the pain of Media attention in her personnal life? She thought maybe she would be famous for Survivor , instead she is famous for an inappropriate relationship, because (BooHoo) " no one got a chance to know me."

Here is where I lost all sympathy for her, and realized the real reason she was so upset.
Remember when Gumball asked who had an agent, and she kinda half waved? Interview with Poor Ms. I Don't Even Have to Change my Last Name Eaton on Inside Edition the next day, Debb said that her agent basically told her that there was nothing for her.
That she was voted off right away, she was grilled in the Tabs (stories were true I might ad) and that Advertisers felt that in the eyes of the American Public she was Damaged goods. Nobody wanted her.
Harsh? Maybe, but true.
Botton Line She gambled her personnal life for the chance at Fame and lost. She didn't mind being a public personality til she found out there was no Big PayOff.

I don't wish her a bad life, just think that she made these choices herself, and she should go back to the life she had before this.

EBug

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •