The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rule Ammendments"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

evanakm 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-12-03, 02:07 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rule Ammendments"
Well this was an anticlimax. I really didn't mind Vecepia, but now I know how all you people feel. I thought it was ridiculous to think an entire season can be spoiled by the ending, but this made me feel exactly that way.

So instead of just bashing and saying what a travesty this was, if Mark Burnett et al read these boards, I say we offer some constructive criticism and offer some rule changes that will fix some of the problems with the show.

1) Let's get rid of the final immunity challenge. This will get rid of the Kim Johnsons and Jennas who take the place of a clearly more deserving contestant. It also adds the drama from scheming to day 38, and it would probably give us some real interesting Final 2s. Imagine a Rob/Matt or Ethan/Lex F2, both of which we were robbed of.

2) Because the key to the success of S6 was intertribal alliances, tribes should be able to send as well as receive tree mail. This would also add the dynamic of one player being able to pull a Shii Ann and take a couple people down with them if they get screwed.

3) Instead of not allowing the castaways to talk during the stranding process, why not allow them to talk and form alliances before they know tribe designations? It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

Add any other ideas you have for the improvement of the game and elimination of any more anticlimactic seasons.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rule Ammendments I_AM_HE 05-12-03 1
 RE: Rule Ammendments DEVILRAYS 05-12-03 2
 RE: Rule Ammendments PhoenixMons 05-12-03 3
 RE: Rule Ammendments managerr 05-12-03 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-12-03, 02:13 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Rule Ammendments"
I think #2 is interesting, but the others I disagree with. The F3 IC sometimes gives us a crappy F2 (Neleh, Jenna), but other times it allows for great strategy, and surprises (Kelly and Colby esp.)

and usually when we get the crappy F2, its because someone threw the challenge, as both Matt and Vee (to a degree) did.

i definitely DON'T think alliances should be allowed to be formed before the show

One thing I wouldn't mind (especially since we be havin' a pirate theme, ARRR!) would be allowing them to raid the other camp

DEVILRAYS 398 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-12-03, 02:45 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Rule Ammendments"
Hmmm...I'll take a crack at those.

1. The game is based on two factors, primarily - diplomacy and achievement. Already the final two vote is 99.9% diplomacy, so being heavy on achievement leading up to that point is not necessarily a bad thing. I would, however, like to see the final two be chosen out of the final three by some other method; my idea, though, is for a straight challenge with no vote and the last person being out. (OK, so it's the other extreme of what you suggested.)

2. If you don't know anything about the other tribe's players, what's the point of sending them treemail? Maybe more interaction between tribes is in order...obviously S7 won't be having any of that.

3. I like the idea of having them start forming alliances as the game is underway and not beforehand. Maybe it's my bias from so much of The Weakest Link and the backstage dealing, but remember that people have 39 days in the game, not 39 minutes. First impressions count for some, but they don't do much in the long run.

A few ideas of my won, more for challenges and variations:

--When 12 or 13 players remain, each tribe selects a "captain" or some other term of leadership. Instead of playing a challenge, though, the teams are sequestered someplace separate from one another while the captains talk for a while. Then the captains are given 20 minutes to trade tribe members (so if Dave offered to trade Alex and Rob to Jaburu for Deena and Jeanne, and Jenna accepted, the four players would be swapped.)

--Or possibly, after 12 remain, each member of one tribe is randomly paired with a member of the opposing tribe, and they compete in a reward challenge as pairs. The reward is simple, but it is not told to anyone until the time is right: For every Tribal Council the twosome survives until the final two, the pair receives bonus money in the following fashion:
-Each receives an additional $2,500 for every week they both remain in the game; if one is out, the other receives $1,000 for each week they remain in the game.
-If either reaches the final two, it goes differently, and we will assume Dave and Jenna are partnered.
--Jenna loses in final two: She receives $100,000 plus, we'll say, $20,000 for every vote she gets, $20,000 if Dave is on the jury, and another $20,000 if he votes for her to win.
--Jenna wins in final two: Regardless of Dave's finish or final vote, she wins $2 million instead of the standard $1 million.

--To completely screw with the rules, a new reward idea: a proxy vote. If you win this reward, you can cast someone's vote for them.

--Even more simply, allow for more tribal interaction. Make a meeting between the tribes every 3 days and require that at least one person from each tribe be sent.

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-12-03, 09:12 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Rule Ammendments"
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-03 AT 09:14 AM (EST)

First I also thought Vee was a good winner. She obvously DID have a strategy and I fault MB, not her, for the viewing public not seeing any of her strategy. I always think it's funny how people constantly talk about how she stabbed Kathy in the back because she is HARDLY the only person to do that. The only reason (as far as I can see) that people harp on the Kathy situation is because nearly EVERYONE wanted Kathy to win. I'm a HUGE Kathy fan, but that said, it was obvious that Vee was playing the game to win. Had she honored her deal, she would have lost, no questions. Her lie was no less or more significant or 'bad' than anyone else's, IMO. The past 2 seasons I've been extremely disappointed with the end result and as such, I am not sure whether I will be watching S7!

And now on to the rules change ideas:

Let's get rid of the final immunity challenge. This will get rid of the Kim Johnsons and Jennas who take the place of a clearly more deserving contestant. It also adds the drama from scheming to day 38, and it would probably give us some real interesting Final 2s. Imagine a Rob/Matt or Ethan/Lex F2, both of which we were robbed of.

Couldn't agree more! I have always thought this put WAY too much power (unfairly) into one person's hands - getting rid of that final immunity would sort of level the playing field for the Final 3, giving them each as equal a shot at the final 2 as possible. IMO, this is the worst aspect of the game. I remember F2 thinking, "how can they possibly put so much of the power of $1M into one person's hand out of 3? At no point in the game prior to this is so much power put into one person's hands (their vote is the ONLY vote) and I just don't see the point.

I'll have to think a little more on what other rule changes I'd like. I have thought about this in the past, but my main beef was the Final TC issue, which you've already covered.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-12-03, 10:50 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Rule Ammendments"
1. No way! The F3 drama is what makes things exciting. As a player, you have to maneuver yourself into position to get both people to take you even if you don't win immunity. (And it will also make you careful to decide who you want to drag there.) Yes occassionally a Mama Kim will win this immunity challenge, but that's part of the game. In every game, the best player does not always win.

2. That might be interesting. Could be cool.

3. No way. MB has big problem showing us everything now. Imagine how we'll feel in Episode 12 when it's revealed: Daphne, Fred, Velma, and Shaggy had a "secret" alliance that they formed before the show and no one knew about it. We'd scream bloody murder.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •