The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Possible finish lines?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Spoiler/Speculation Forum (Protected)
Original message

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

11-24-01, 02:10 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Possible finish lines?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-25-01 AT 11:24 PM (EST)

The teams began in Central Park.

I don't think that would make much of a thrilling, photogenic conclusion. Given the places they've been, I think the producers would have chosen a more recognizable, iconic, or fitting image for the finish line. Not many iconic spots in Central Park, including the spot where they started. That will be the finish line only if they want to tie it together with the first episode.

So, unless they run the NYC Marathon as the last leg, I can't see them finishing in Central Park.

Phil opened the show not standing atop the World Trade Center, as some have said (OK, me), but atop Carnegie Hall, overlooking Central Park.
I pray to God the race doesn't conclude atop the WTC. But it might.

The Statue of Liberty would be a great spot, but it might not have been chosen since NBC's "Lost" was aiming at that finish line. It would still be my first choice (WTC included) since you must boat to the island first.

Other NYC icons (and issues):

Yankee Stadium (permission from MLB, and scheduling around games)

Rockefeller Center's ice rink (recognizable when the tree is there, but not an ice rink at the time the show was filmed)

Times Square (a traffic nightmare, and not particularly identifiable)

Empire State Building (but why choose it with WTC available)

Museum of Natural History's Planetarium (a cool building at night, but not as well-known)

The Unisphere at the World's Fair Grounds (another cool look, and it's encircled globe would be fitting for the show, but it's obscure)

Stock Exchange on Wall Street (if they stopped trading for this, you'd have heard it)

Ellis Island (can't think of any reason why not... nor any good reason to choose it)

The Early Show studio (really incestuous. All those CBS employees to keep the secret. Scheduling two days or so of studio time for an unknowable conclusion)

The Ed Sullivan Theater where they meet David Letterman (yeah, right)

Anyone have other thoughts/suggestions/guesses?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Possible finish lines? managerr 11-24-01 1
 RE: Possible finish lines? ktnorth 11-25-01 2
   RE: Possible finish lines? Styxfan 11-25-01 3
 Statue of Liberty sleeeve 11-25-01 4
   RE: Statue of Liberty TeamJoisey 11-25-01 5
       RE: Statue of Liberty SkyRaider 11-26-01 6
       RE: Statue of Liberty sleeeve 11-26-01 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

11-24-01, 02:20 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Possible finish lines?"
They gave the finishing point in the first ep--it wasn't the WTC. I'm pretty sure it was the Statue of Liberty but I could be mistaken.

ktnorth 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-25-01, 08:31 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Possible finish lines?"
Why NY?

I never heard anything about the finish line being in New York. What about the west coast? It would have to be a place that isn't extremely populated or the public would know the outcome. All this talk of the wtc, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, dosent sit right with me. These places are too populated to create a seceret ending. Just my thoughts.

Styxfan 64 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-25-01, 08:18 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Possible finish lines?"
No, they said in the very first episode that the finish would be in New York.

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-25-01, 10:49 PM (EST)
4. "Statue of Liberty"
A while back, I started a thread about speculation we could take from the map on the Official Amazing Race site.

I noted that if you clicked on any city, they noted all of the landmarks that the contestants would visit. (For example, map of Paris shows Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, and Musee du Louvre... the only siginificant landmarks that the teams visited while in the city).

After my thread appeared, CBS changed the way that they do the map... they no longer show landmarks... only surrounding cities.

However... the map of New York was made BEFORE my original post...

It identifies only two landmarks: Central Park and the Statue of Liberty... which, I assume, are the starting line and finish, respectively.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

11-25-01, 11:38 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Statue of Liberty"
Thanks Sleeeve.

Nice to know my instincts were probably right. The Statue of Liberty is the best possible finish.

Also, for any others reading this, I amended the first post in this thread to correct the location of Phil's opening.
He was NOT atop the WTC. I watched the tape of the opening episode for clues. After looking at aerial photos and maps of NYC, and pics of Carnegie Hall, it's apparent he was on that rooftop, which overlooks Central Park from its 57th Street location.

He made no mention of returning to NYC, but he did say they would circle the globe, and they would go around the world.

As far as keeping things a secret, the Statue of Liberty is isolated on its own island and easily closed to non-contestants for several hours for TV filming. If they'd filmed in front of sightseers, we'd have heard who won.

Hollywood's closed it down before, including for the 2000 movie, X-Men. (Not a Bruckheimer production, for those wondering.)
CBS can certainly get a day for TAR.

SkyRaider 1301 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

11-26-01, 11:53 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Statue of Liberty"
<As far as keeping things a secret, the Statue of Liberty is isolated on its own island and easily closed to non-contestants for several hours for TV filming. If they'd filmed in front of sightseers, we'd have heard who won. Hollywood's closed it down before, including for the 2000 movie, X-Men. (Not a Bruckheimer production, for those wondering.) CBS can certainly get a day for TAR.>

I dunno about that...The short-lived reality series "Lost" also ended at the Statue of Liberty and there were obviously tourists standing around when they arrived there at the finish to win.

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-26-01, 05:18 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Statue of Liberty"
>If they'd filmed
>in front of sightseers, we'd
>have heard who won.

Not necessarily... if the finish line were far enough away from the statue itself that there weren't hoardes of tourists around, then a few people running (and pushing) their way through the crowds, being chased by a camera would hardly be noticed by the other tourists... That's how they all behave.

The bigger problem is that one of the group might spill the beans on the ferry ride over... but a quick reminder to the teams about their confidentiality contracts should shut them up for the boat ride.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •