The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Belize Leg"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Spoiler/Speculation Forum (Protected)
Original message

pmspml5 3263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-15-05, 10:12 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Belize Leg"
I just got back from a cruise and one of the ports of call was Belize City.

We went on a "zipline" adventure out in the rain forest which would have been a perfect Detour. There was not a lot of other things in that area to do and finding this place w/o the help of a local would have been very difficult. Some of the guides on this "Lost Canopy Tour" had been teasing one of the guys about being "famous" for being filmed for a TV show. I have no proof that it was TAR could have been anything - but it does fit.

Also, most locals speak Creole and unless they attend high-school past the age of 16 - never learn what we would consider english. So even though it is an english speaking nation - there could be some language barriors.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Belize Leg PepeLePew13 09-15-05 1
   RE: Belize Leg KLicK 09-17-05 2
       RE: Belize Leg PepeLePew13 09-18-05 3
       RE: Belize Leg Karchita 09-28-05 4
           RE: Belize Leg weecama 10-17-05 5
               RE: Belize Leg indy42 10-20-05 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 26138 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-15-05, 03:59 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Belize Leg"

>Also, most locals speak Creole
>and unless they attend high-school
>past the age of 16
>- never learn what we
>would consider english. So
>even though it is an
>english speaking nation - there
>could be some language barriors.

Mmmmm, interesting. Two families are from Louisiana (the Schroeders from New Orleans and the Rogers from Shreveport) so it's *possible* that some members might know a bit of Creole, especially the elders. Creole is found in parts of Louisiana amongst the old French Cajun/Creole descendents.

Not much to it, but perhaps if one of the teams understands parts of Creole, they can reply in the same language and curry a favour or two from some locals to help speed them through the country getting to a clue.

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

KLicK 316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-17-05, 04:45 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Belize Leg"
Linguistics 472 finally comes in handy!

Creole just means a blend of two languages. For example if a Russian speaking space crew was stranded with Americans at the space station indefinately, they may form a creole blend of Russian and English. In America, we tend to use the term exclusively for the LA "Creole."

In Belize creole is a term used for an English-speaking person of African or mixed African and European ancestry.

PepeLePew13 26138 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-18-05, 08:25 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Belize Leg"
Thanks for setting me straight. Shoot, there goes a spoiler idea...

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-28-05, 11:19 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Belize Leg"
Rats, you beat me to it, KLick. For a few brief seconds, I thought maybe my master's in linguisitcs would actually come in handy, lol. Not to get too technical, but the space station example would be a pidgin language. If children grow up speaking it, then it becomes the native language for a group of speakers, and it becomes a creole. In the US, Louisiana has a creole, as does Hawaii.

I would definitely say that there are language barriers for Americans in Belize. Creole speakers there are almost incomprehensible.

weecama 305 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

10-17-05, 11:36 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Belize Leg"
pmspml5 ,I was just reading the Aiello's tvguide interview
..interesting. Could it be that Belize is also sequesterville? Just spitballin here..

TVGuide.com: Where'd you go after you were eliminated?
Kevin: I can't tell you where, but we went away for a few weeks. CBS took good care of us. We did some hiking, some shopping and we spent a lot of time at the pool. And we did some ziplining. Fun stuff.

~puddin~

indy42 135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-20-05, 07:45 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Belize Leg"
Belize would be pretty cool, but people can do ziplining a lot of places. Now that it seems that the teams are headed to Panama, there is more of chance they go there.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •