The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Euchere"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Live Feed Updates And Spoilers (Protected)
Original message

shabalaba 369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-12-04, 08:56 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Euchere"
So cowboy wants to teach April? What is this game anyway?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Euchre Rebel Crown 09-12-04 1
   RE: Euchre teacherkelly 09-12-04 2
       RE: Euchre shabalaba 09-12-04 3
           You're welcome Rebel Crown 09-12-04 4
   RE: Euchre zazzy 09-13-04 8
 RE: Euchere Surveysez 09-13-04 5
   RE: Euchere Rebel Crown 09-13-04 7
 RE: Euchere mamarizzo 09-13-04 6
   RE: Euchere ginger 09-13-04 9
 RE: Euchere Glass 09-13-04 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Rebel Crown 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-12-04, 09:56 PM (EST)
1. "Euchre"
Euchre is a very fun card game. I play it all the time.

You use 24 cards, from 9 to Ace. Everyone is dealt five cards. To get a point, you and your partner need to take 3 "tricks"; if you take all 5 tricks, you get 2 points. A "trick" consists of 4 cards, one from each person. If you go alone and get all 5, you get 4 points.

The Jacks are the highest card of the suit that is made trump. They are called bowers, rhymes with sour (right bower, to be precise.) And the other same-colored Jack is the second highest (the left bower). One by one, each person decides whether to make trump of what the dealer has turned up. If everyone passes, then you go around again and either call trump or pass again. Some play "Screw the Dealer" where the dealer HAS to call something if it comes back to him. So, if Spades were called, the Jack of Spades would be the right, and the Jack of Clubs would be the left. Same for the reverse.

You must follow suit first; if you don't have what has been led, you throw "off" (something not trump and not led), or you throw trump. If it's your partner's trick already, you would throw off. If you and your partner are still trying to get the trick, and you have trump, throw the trump!

That's where the strategy comes into play. Let's say you're dealt the Jack of Hearts, Jack of Diamonds and the 9, 10, and Ace of Spades. Your partner dealt, and flipped up a 9 of Hearts. It's your turn to decide if you want it or not. Since you have the 2 HIGHEST Hearts (since, if Hearts would be called, the Jack of Diamonds becomes the 2nd highest Heart), you (well, I would anyway) would order your partner to pick up the Heart. Now, you have the 2 highest hearts, plus you know your partner has at least one heart. And you have an Ace off-suit, which is good, because (hopefully) your opponents will also have black cards.

So, your opponents lead by throwing a club. You have no clubs-what to do? I would throw my smallest off-card (in this case, the 9), hoping my partner would take the trick with his trump. All he needs to do is take one trick, and you both win the hand because you already have the 2 highest trump in your hand. If your partner doesn't have a Club, he will throw trump and take the trick. And you both score a point, because you achieved 3 tricks (the bowers in your hand can't be beat).

I hope this sounds clear. This is the basics, anyway.

teacherkelly 179 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-12-04, 10:50 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Euchre"
Good explanation Reb!

It's common in the midwest. In college, we played nonstop. I should have majored in that. I am sure Diane and Drew both know how to play considering where they are from.

shabalaba 369 desperate attention whore postings

09-12-04, 11:01 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Euchre"
Wow! That was an excellent explanation! Thanks so much for taking the time to explain.

09-12-04, 11:51 PM (EST)
4. "You're welcome"
For a long time, I had no idea that euchre was basically a midwestern game. Being from Michigan, I learned this game in high school (about 30 years ago) and thought everyone knew about it.

It does take some people a while to get the hang of it - I'm actually surprised that Cowboy picked it up so quickly. Maybe he IS smarter than we all thought!

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-13-04, 08:53 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Euchre"
Great explanation! I have not played since high school but it is all coming back to me after reading this.

Can you explain how to play bridge? I never learned that game.

Surveysez 2793 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-13-04, 00:55 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Euchere"
Not just Midwestern, but east and west Canada. However, Rebel, if you ordered your partner up, you (the way we play) are required to then go it alone. The partner would pick the card up to accept as trump, but would not play. You than have to take three tricks, which you should be able to, since you have two guaranteed.

Slight rules differences aside, from your description I would be honoured to be your partner (and prepared to kick a$$.)

09-13-04, 02:10 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Euchere"
<<...if you ordered your partner up, you (the way we play) are required to then go it alone.>>

Wow! That type of rule would definately alter the strategies! I've never played that way.

We have, however, created "Whiz-Bang"; you deal out all 24 cards (no kitty), then bid (up to 6, then partner's best (worth 7), loner (8), superloner(9) ) and play just like euchre, with the addition of calling as trump High or Low. Whomever bids the highest gets to lead, but if you don't get what you called, you go back those points. First to 21 wins or first to -21 loses. I think we came up with this after a few too many drinks !

And I would also be honored to be your partner, survey. Sounds like I could learn a few things from you!

mamarizzo 86 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

09-13-04, 01:39 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Euchere"
Sounds like a variation of Spades. Except with fewer cards, desired tricks with trumps are either all or nothing, and "penalty" card.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-13-04, 04:29 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Euchere"
I'm guessing, without having played it but keeping in mind the nonintricacies of CB's brain, that it is somewhat less complicated than chess.

Or even "Go Fish."

Glass 381 desperate attention whore postings

09-13-04, 04:46 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Euchere"
I like Hearts myself.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •