The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"WSC3 (NF) Chinese Food Anniversary"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-19-04, 02:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"WSC3 (NF) Chinese Food Anniversary"
I ate Chinese food for lunch today. What may seem like an ordinary occurrence to most people was anything but in my world. It’s been 19 years since I’ve eaten Chinese food on this date. I can remember the last time like it was just yesterday.

I was a young woman of 19 at the time. It was normally my father’s job to pick me up from work, but he was in the hospital, so the task fell to my mother. I had wanted to visit Dad at the hospital on our way home, but Mom had spent the afternoon there and we were going to my aunt and uncle’s house for Chinese food. Since Dad would be coming home in a few days and I was hungry, I didn’t push the issue.

When we got to my aunt and uncle’s home, the Chinese food containers were already laid out on the dining room table. The food was from our family’s favorite Chinese restaurant, Sun Sun Kitchen. As we opened each box, the aromas filled the house with a mouth-watering promise. We had just sat down and eaten our first few bites when the phone rang.

I knew. Before my aunt handed the phone to my mother; before I heard Mom’s anguished cry; before I watched the phone fall out of her hand and clatter to the floor; before my mother turned to us and confirmed my worst nightmare, I knew what had happened.

We rushed out of the house, the Chinese food long forgotten in our haste to get to the hospital. If ever again through that long night we thought about the Chinese food, it was with resentment. We blamed the Chinese food. If it weren’t for the food, we may have been there for him and maybe we could have changed what had happened. We knew we weren’t being realistic, but at that point all of our grief, all of our anger, all of our pain, and all of our anguish was directed at those little cardboard containers of Chinese food.

It was a few years before my mother and I were able to once again enjoy what had once been one of our favorite foods. We found a new Chinese restaurant to eat at, and although their food was never as good as Sun Sun Kitchen’s, it was easier for us to swallow. Yet with all the meals we had over the years, we never again ate Chinese food on that date. We didn’t discuss the decision, but we both knew that it would somehow feel like a betrayal to eat Chinese food on this anniversary.

Today my son came to me and asked if we could have Chinese food for lunch. Although I knew what date it was, it still didn’t register in my mind exactly what he was asking for. I somehow missed the connection until we were sitting at our dining room table, eating the first few bites of our meals. When it hit me, I waited for the feelings of betrayal to come, but they never did. Sitting here with my son, who shares my father’s name, the Chinese food didn’t taste at all like betrayal. It tasted, instead, like tribute.

I ate Chinese food for lunch today. I think I may make it an annual event.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: WSC3 (NF) Chinese Food Annivers... KObrien_fan 01-19-04 1
 RE: WSC3 (NF) Chinese Food Annivers... Wheezy 01-20-04 2
   RE: WSC3 (NF) Chinese Food Annivers... northernlights 01-21-04 3
 RE: WSC3 (NF) Chinese Food Annivers... Schnookie Palookie 01-21-04 4
 RE: WSC3 (NF) Chinese Food Annivers... Drive My Car 01-23-04 5
 RE: Beautiful Sheila 01-23-04 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

KObrien_fan 8204 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-04, 03:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: WSC3 (NF) Chinese Food Anniversary"
This is well written and very sad. Thank you for sharing this.

Surgeon General G.A.W.K.U.R's of OT

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-04, 02:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: WSC3 (NF) Chinese Food Anniversary"

*kleenex, please*

L8, honey, this is wonderful.

This:
"Before my aunt handed the phone to my mother; before I heard Mom’s anguished cry; before I watched the phone fall out of her hand and clatter to the floor;"
is incredibly powerful.

Thank you for sharing this story.

Wheezy baby gonna getcha!

northernlights 5046 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-04, 09:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: WSC3 (NF) Chinese Food Anniversary"
You done with that Kleenex box Wheezybaby? Mind sharing?

Very nicely written L8.

I agree with HampterGirl about the line she quoted.

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-04, 01:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: WSC3 (NF) Chinese Food Anniversary"
OMH! Beautifully written L8! Thanks for sharing.

Purrrrfect Siggy by the Talented Kittyloaf
*someone pass the kleenex please?*

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-04, 08:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: WSC3 (NF) Chinese Food Anniversary"
I love this.
I want to say more but don't have the words. I am so glad you wrote this and shared this.

It got to me, big time.

*HUGS* L8

Sheila 2069 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-23-04, 11:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sheila Click to send private message to Sheila Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Beautiful"
I have tears in my eyes and chill bumps on my body! You know what that means? YOU have an amazing way with words! Everytime you post some of your writing I am more in awe of your writing.

Thank you so much for sharing such a personal thing.

*hugs*

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •