The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-01-04, 03:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
Rite of Passage

“When you’re ten,” I replied, every time he asked “When?” Twice, three times a year, that question again. It seemed so far off. I shivered at the thought; displaced it. Until now. He’s ten.

“Be calm, don’t jump around.”

“I know.”

“When is a gun loaded?”

“Always.”

“Listen to Grandpa and Dad.”

“I know.”

“If you kill yourself, I’ll kill you, you know.”

“I know.”

“Be careful.”

“Mom. Can I go now?” Eagerness pools at the rims of his wise eyelids; he measures a proud fifty-six inches. Only an inch and a half shy of his grandmother. I nod and he’s off.

I can’t watch. I blow-dry my hair, but I can still hear it.

When he comes in, I know he will proudly show me his battered paper target, and I will be impressed. And then we will have hot chocolate with marshmallows while he tells me in a suddenly-deep voice about the coldness of the steel, the roar of the shot, the thrill of the bulls-eye. In anticipation, and to take my mind off the worrying, I search through the box of photos marked 1978. I find it just as I hear cheering from outside, and I pull it out. It’s fading, but clearly I see a long-haired girl standing in a yellow-gray field of plucked corn husks, wearing a baseball cap, a .22 at her shoulder, and a smile as wide as Tennessee.

Ten felt so much older back then.

###

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage GrendelsMom 01-02-04 1
 RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage FarmBoy 01-02-04 2
   RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage Wheezy 01-02-04 3
       RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage FarmBoy 01-02-04 4
           RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage Superman 01-06-04 11
 RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage ExInterper 01-02-04 5
 RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage Drive My Car 01-02-04 6
 RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage KObrien_fan 01-02-04 7
 RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage Swami 01-03-04 8
 RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage AugustGirl 01-04-04 9
 RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage L82LIFE 01-05-04 10
 RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage northernlights 01-06-04 12
 RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage DoodleBug 01-07-04 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

GrendelsMom 3272 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-02-04, 01:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GrendelsMom Click to send private message to GrendelsMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
wow, does this capture parenting or what? love the last line.
___
GM
p.s. thanks for the e-mails to help me get my bearings.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

FarmBoy 2618 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-02-04, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FarmBoy Click to send private message to FarmBoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
and a smile as wide as Tennessee.

Very well said.

Bovinated BR549- An Original Draco Masterpiece
Must remember Wheezy knows how to use a gun.

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-04, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
I put that tennessee line in there just for you, farmboy. You think I am joking, but I'm not.

Wheeeza

*waves to Grendelsmom*

FarmBoy 2618 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-02-04, 11:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FarmBoy Click to send private message to FarmBoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
Awwwww....shucks

Bovinated BR549- An Original Draco Masterpiece
Smiling from Memphis to Knoxville.

Superman 3152 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-04, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Superman Click to send private message to Superman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
Is my favorite line, also.

Yay for Wheezy!

Criminals From the Neck Up

ExInterper 3093 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-04, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ExInterper Click to send private message to ExInterper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
This was great: a story has a fairly common shared experience told from a viewpoint that's fairly rarely heard. I loved imagery of the son, especially "Eagerness pools at the rims of his wise eyelids."

Awesome!

Yet another Jslice masterpiece!
"Let's hope Osten doesn't smoke. He might decide to quit breathing." - Jims02, Ep 7a Summary

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-04, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"

Ten felt so much older back then.

This story makes me smile.

KObrien_fan 8204 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-04, 01:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
This one is just as powerful as Senescent Hearts, I loved it!

Swami 5883 desperate attention whore postings

01-03-04, 01:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"

Very nice, Wheezy. This story captures the joy and anguish of parenting very well.

Swami

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

01-04-04, 01:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
Terrific, Wheezy!

Hamster Fan since 2003.

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

01-05-04, 04:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
Oh wow! This is great, Wheezy. Your story hit some buttons for me right now and I can relate to this so well. It's a fantastic read that every parent can feel in touch with.

northernlights 5046 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-04, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
I remember that feeling very well and you totally nailed it.

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

01-07-04, 05:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: WSC3(NF) Rite of Passage"
"clearly I see a long-haired girl standing in a yellow-gray field of plucked corn husks, wearing a baseball cap, a .22 at her shoulder, and a smile as wide as Tennessee."

Love this. I can see it in my mind's eye. Wonderful story.

A Kyngsladye Original

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •