The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

jenbug 40 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-11-02, 02:45 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
I have been a big fan of the Dorks and have even picked them to win, but was shocked to see their portrayal take a dramatic turn last night. While they had made fun of teams before, it seemed in a much lighter spirit than the comments shown during the last episode. What does this mean for their story-editing wise?

At the beginning of the season the Dorks seemed aimless and self-promoting. I think that many of us were surprised to see them continue to succeed over teams that we had guessed would be stronger (Nope, Twins, etc..). The Dorks are now being shown as progressively capable and competitive. Is this a trick of the editing, which at first made them appear to be the underdogs with the knowledge that they would go far? Or have they really become so much more focused?

And lastly, are their nasty comments being shown because they are humorous, or to paint their characters in a different light? Are there any good guys left? I am starting to wonder if we can really use the storyline editing as a speculative tool, as is so popular in Survivor, for the Amazing Race. Thoughts?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks? Bebo 04-11-02 1
   RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks? jenbug 04-11-02 2
 RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks? katem 04-11-02 3
   RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks? Esbea 04-11-02 4
       RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks? katem 04-11-02 5
   RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks? hairymop 04-15-02 8
 RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks? toddE 04-13-02 6
   RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks? xrunner 04-13-02 7
       RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks? qwertypie 04-15-02 9
       RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks? katem 04-16-02 10
 RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks? curveball 04-16-02 11
   RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks? trigirl 04-16-02 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-11-02, 04:04 PM (EST)
1. "RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
They were featured quite prominently as the narrators last night. We were shown their strategy quite clearly - befriend the other teams, determine their weaknesses, then overtake the other teams since they have the information and were underestimated.

In Survivor, the revealed strategies are usually the ones that don't succeed, so this would be a cause for pessimism. We're being shown what they will try, but fail, to do.

Storyline editing was quite useful last season. The Guidos were set up as the team we love to hate, and they were the only team not there at the finish line -- they were still stuck out in the middle of Alaska. F/M were shown in a negative light at the beginning of the season but redeemed, so that we could care when the race got down to the wire with R/B. F/M were shown winning a greater victory -- their relationship. (I know, it's debatable whether their relationship was worth more than a million dollars, but it worked for the story.)

I wouldn't throw out storyline as an effective tool. TAR doesn't provide nearly the spoilers that Survivor does, but this board has been doing a good job on zeroing in on the eliminated couples. Every week, a significant number of the voters have been on target.

S.O.B.

jenbug 40 desperate attention whore postings

04-11-02, 04:40 PM (EST)
2. "RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
Thanks Bebo. I think that you are right in that the editing was helpful last season. To me the characters seem more ambiguous than they were last season, however. There are no shining, perfect heroes, except perhaps Danny and Oswald.

As to what the editing means to the Dorks, I think that you are right that it does not bode well for them. I now believe that Paige and Blake are being redeemed and will finish well because of this. The comment by the Grannies, who have been a great gift to spoilers, makes me think that they will not win.

Other editing possibilities- while I have been loathe to even consider Tara and Wil winning because of their odious personalities, I am curious if the escalating rivalries between them and Chris/Alex sets us up for a close finish between the two of them. While I would love a dark horse team to sweep it away, the storyline is building up a huge meltdown between the two teams-which I don't think we have fully seen yet. Could this be a neck and neck footrace to the finish?
Let's hope so!!!

katem 3315 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-11-02, 04:41 PM (EST)
3. "RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
I don't see where they said anything "nasty" last night. I they made silly comments about how they are understimated and stuff, I took it as just them being camera hogs. They have been hamming it up for the cameras from the beginning of the show.

Also, they could very well be the winners, they proved from the beginning that they were capable guys and competitors. I have not really seen anything nasty about them yet.

The nasty ones are Team Wilma and Chex.

Esbea 7377 desperate attention whore postings

04-11-02, 05:25 PM (EST)
4. "RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
You didnt see anything nasty about them? The evil award for this episode goes to the editor who thought for some warped reason that we all wanted to see Woody Allen Jr in nothing but a towel.

04-11-02, 05:31 PM (EST)
5. "RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-11-02 AT 05:32 PM (EST)

>You didnt see anything nasty about
>them? The evil award
>for this episode goes to
>the editor who thought for
>some warped reason that we
>all wanted to see Woody
>Allen Jr in nothing but
>a towel.

Esbea, welcome to the boards, and for making this insightful observation. You are so right, that was disgusting, and I hope they never do it again.

I mean Blake half naked in every episode is eye candy , but Woody is disturbing, I could have sworn he even winked when the camera caught him.

hairymop 30 desperate attention whore postings

04-15-02, 10:38 AM (EST)
8. "RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
The comment about the Thai being colonized by English speaking people was real nasty. That's like saying aparteid in South Africa was a good thing just because they learned English.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-13-02, 04:45 PM (EST)
6. "RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
I agree that the Dorks have been portrayed as increasingly competent, and also that their comments in the latest episode were, for the first time IMHO, nasty rather than humorous. I don't enjoy them as much now. Perhaps the recent bitchiness is a prelude to their upcoming elimination.

Mary and Peach are not "bad," Blaige is shown as learning from their previous misbehavior, and Team Fabulous is edited to be "the good guys," always polite.

xrunner 65 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-13-02, 06:23 PM (EST)
7. "RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
Actually I think Chris and Alex are the ones that they want to get rid of:

First of all they are too much like last years winner so I think they want to get rid of them for that reason.

Second of all I don't think the airline reservations and cab trouble are just the luck of the draw. They often show airline logos, you don't think they pull expecially with multimillions riding on the show.

Third this is a disney production and after seeing how south africia was protrayed there are so moralistic undertones to this production.

I have lot of bad karma because of this Alex hitting on a married women even if she is separated. The bear hug on Wil, the I'm going to get take your girl. Their days are numbered in a Disney production.

So far they had a real bad connection in frankfort, they called a cab in Nabia and were dead last so only the twins really screwing up saved them.

In Thailand it was a level playing field and they came in first so when all things are equal they do extremely well.

Then they leave first and get the first cab with Tara and Wil yet for some reason due to the cabby they came in last again.

IMO Its only a matter of time until the fixes catch up to Chris and Alex.

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

04-15-02, 09:46 PM (EST)
9. "RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
TAR is a D!$N@Y production!?! How did I miss THAT? Oh the HORROR! Since I feel the "nameless one" (I don't want to risk their wrath or a lawsuit)are bent on world domination, I am really torn between not supporting them and continuing to watch TAR 2. DAMN them! DAMN them to all heck!

04-16-02, 11:31 AM (EST)
10. "RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"

>In Thailand it was a level
>playing field and they came
>in first so when all
>things are equal they do
>extremely well.

Oh please, the only reason Chex ended up in first place in that leg in Thailand was because Tara insisted that Wilma and her wait for these two idiots to get off the plane, they drove them around for most of the leg and basically helped them out.

Chex would have been totally lost without Wilma and Tara.

curveball 225 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-16-02, 05:21 PM (EST)
11. "RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
I don't think their behavior is new, perhaps just edited differently. I watched it a couple times, and I think the whole "exploit the weaknesses" part is an attempt at humor. I think. or maybe they are just that dumb. In either case, it was not too surprising to see them make fun of the other teams, after all, we do it here all the time, and they are doing it in a manner to entertain us, not to be rude to the other teams directly. These two have made it farther than most thought they would, me included, and they are still not the weakest team left, so I'm hoping their humor keeps getting better, because they are almost making me laugh...

trigirl 2851 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-16-02, 09:17 PM (EST)
12. "RE: A new evil emerges-the Dorks?"
I completely agree with you Curveball.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •