The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Season two vs. season one"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-28-02, 05:51 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Season two vs. season one"
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-02 AT 10:19 AM (EST)

After watching the first four episodes of this edition of TAR, I think it is now fair to compare this edition to the other. These are my thoughts:

* Money - The producers are taking a few seconds to inform us of how much they give the racers each leg. Excellent move, one I argued for months ago. I think they're giving them too dang much money, but that's probably just me.

* Phil - He now greets all the racers as they arrive at the pit stop. It threw the contestants for the first couple of legs (good), but I'm sure they're used to it now. Overall this is good, though I miss having the locals do the whole job. No opinion on Phil's new 'do.

* Route markers/detours/road blocks - Disappointing, to say the least. Almost all of them have been of the "go here" and/or "do this" variety, with easy directions. Mental gymnastics have not come into play yet. This may be easier on the teams (and less subject to alternate interpretations), but these guys are playing for $1 million; why make it easy for them?

The detours have been absurdly easy to figure out - the fast way has always been the best way, and the teams have generally recognized this. Come on guys; give 'em a REAL choice.

My favorite road block was the one in this past episode. The tasks were pretty mindless (buy five animal statues, give to local, take big statue), but did offer a subtle element of strategy. Negotiating takes time, and time is very important, but money is also important. Do you take the time to get the very best price? Or do you take the price as offered and get out of there? Or somewhere in between?

* The racers - at this point in the race, I pretty much wrote off two of the teams (Nancy & Emily and Lenny & Karyn) as not having the right stuff to win. Nancy had limited endurance, Emily had a rebellious streak that popped up at inopportune times, Karyn was screechy, and Lenny was pokey. I don't think you can write off any of this season's teams so easily. Team Road House is still my pick to win, but they haven't shown much sign of being dominant. Twill HAVE been dominant, but Wil is a jackass, and Tara isn't exactly Miss Manners. Like The Big One in California, I'm still waiting for the likely meltdown between these two. Mary & Peach have done fairly well so far, and Mary is as compettiive as anyone, but her teammate isn't helping much, and a meltdown is likely between these two also. They can win, though. The competitiveness between teams is good.

On the other hand, the teams aren't as likable as last year's bunch. More sniping and catty comments, more bad behavior, more forced "humor", less real humor.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Season two vs. season one Java 03-28-02 1
   RE: Season two vs. season one realitybites 03-28-02 2
       RE: Season two vs. season one managerr 03-28-02 3
 RE: Season two vs. season one RaceGirl 03-28-02 4
   RE: Season two vs. season one realitybites 03-28-02 5
 RE: Season two vs. season one magic_star 03-29-02 6
   RE: Season two vs. season one astairefan 03-29-02 9
 RE: Season two vs. season one heymikey 03-29-02 7
 RE: Season two vs. season one Frau Hexe 03-29-02 8
   RE: Season two vs. season one mad_dog1015 03-29-02 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Java 519 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-28-02, 01:19 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Season two vs. season one"
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-02 AT 01:20 PM (EST)

The biggest difference that strikes me this season is that twice now the last place team hasn't comleted the final tasks because they have fallen so far behind. I don't remember that happening last year except the one time Momily gave it up in Thailand.

I seem to remember that last season they would show all the teams do one task then go on to the next, all the way to the Thailand ep. Am I crazy? It really screwed up your sense of time when they did that.

J A V A
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

03-28-02, 02:36 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Season two vs. season one"
>The biggest difference that strikes me
>this season is that twice
>now the last place team
>hasn't comleted the final tasks
>because they have fallen so
>far behind. I don't
>remember that happening last year
>except the one time Momily
>gave it up in Thailand.

Well, Team Guido didn't have to complete anything after they went dogsledding because Rob & Brennan had already won.

Also, I suspect but cannot confirm that Paul & Amie either drove or were led directly to the pit stop after getting lost in the desert.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-28-02, 02:43 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Season two vs. season one"
If I remember right, Paul and Amie got so lost that they accidently spotted the CBS pit stop in the distance and just drove straight there. CBS was about to send helicopters after them because they were really late.

RaceGirl 50 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-28-02, 06:59 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Season two vs. season one"
I also think the producers have learned a thing or two since TAR1.

Money: I also like hearing the money amount though it really doesn't mean much since we have no idea about exchange rates and a great number of their costs(food, drinks, transportation, tasks) I was surprised how quickly Blaige recovered from losing their money. Also, while the bartering for the carved animals was interesting to watch, I had no idea whether a team was overpaying or being cheap or putting their future money needs in jeopardy.

Bunching: I spoke about this in another thread but I've noticed that we have not had the repeated group bunching that was so common in TAR1. We haven't had the museum groupings; everyone on similiar flights; everyone on the same ship like we had in TAR1. The charter flights and the 3 hr delay last night was reminiscent of the missed train in India that started Momily and Quidos problems. I think the teams are pretty spread out at least for this early in the race.

Road blocks/Detours: I agree these have not been as clever as TAR1. The 'correct' choice has been way too obvious. I have liked the glimpse into each location/culture the tasks provided.

Contestants: Not as memorable, not as likeable, not as entertaining.

03-28-02, 08:57 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Season two vs. season one"
> Money: I also
>like hearing the money amount
>though it really doesn't mean
>much since we have no
>idea about exchange rates and
>a great number of their
>costs(food, drinks, transportation, tasks)

Exchange rates are easy to look up on the Web - try this one, for example. Figure about 2 1/2 Brazilian Reals, 11 South African Rands, 11 Namibian Dollars, and 40 (oops, getting ahead of myself) to the dollar, and you'll be close enough.

I've traveled a bit, so I can make guesses about what they're buying and what they're paying. Food & drink should be pretty cheap, since they're constantly on the go.

>I was surprised how quickly
>Blaige recovered from losing their
>money.

Well, that's because they're giving them so much money for each leg.

>Also, while the bartering
>for the carved animals was
>interesting to watch, I had
>no idea whether a team
>was overpaying or being cheap
>or putting their future money
>needs in jeopardy.

I would assume that Tara got the best prices and Chris & Alex got the worst ones. The dealers learned, I'm sure, that the racers had more money than time and could charge the most outrageous prices and get away with it.

> Bunching: I spoke
>about this in another thread
>but I've noticed that we
>have not had the repeated
>group bunching that was so
>common in TAR1. We
>haven't had the museum groupings;
>everyone on similiar flights; everyone
>on the same ship like
>we had in TAR1.
>The charter flights and the
>3 hr delay last night
>was reminiscent of the missed
>train in India that started
>Momily and Quidos problems.
>I think the teams are
>pretty spread out at least
>for this early in the
>race.

I agree about the bunching, but somehow I think it will be back pretty soon...

magic_star 2400 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

03-29-02, 01:57 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Season two vs. season one"

I like how they are showing some pictures of what goes on
during the pit stops.They showed the showers in the forest in episode 3 and they have shown some of the food they are eating.
Then they showed the flirtation between tara and chris in episode 4. Last season it didn't seem like they ever showed what went on during the pitstops.

astairefan 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-29-02, 07:41 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Season two vs. season one"
I also like seeing some of the stuff happening during the pitstops -- this is where alliances happen, etc., yet we never saw it in season one (except a mention by Kevin and Drew after Momily was out that Momily had woken them up, etc.). Decisions as to sharing cabs, etc., can affect the play, and it's good to have some idea how these alliances come about.

heymikey 238 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-29-02, 04:50 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Season two vs. season one"
One thing that I like about this season is that this season is MORE competitive. In the first, you have the Guidos and Frank and Margarita always on the top tier, and have the "underdogs" always at the bottom. This time, anything can happen. You can be on top on the current episode and be last on the next.

One more thing I like is how they gave out Fast Forwards. On previous seasons, Fast Forwards were given right from the start when the contestants begin the leg of the race. This season, you have to go somewhere to pick it up. There are two reasons that I see on why they did this:
(1) This will prevent one team (the ones who took the Fast Forward) to be so far ahead of the other teams
(2) This will prevent one team from cheating by telling another team on where the next Fast Forward is. The producers probably learned this lesson from the previous season when Drew (or Kevin) told Nancy on where the Fast Forward was in Thailand.

Frau Hexe 716 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-29-02, 02:01 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Season two vs. season one"
Maybe it's just me, but this season seems incredibly more dull than last season. Yes, there are a few changes that I thought last season would have been interesting, like telling how much money they have, showing a bit of the goings-on at the pit stops, etc., but overall, the players are dull, and the race itself is relatively uneventful. I mean, how many times can we watch people getting into a cab, riding in a cab, getting out of a cab, arguing with a cabbie over fairs, telling the cabbie to speed up, badmouthing the cabbie from the back of the cab. It's so damn tiring!

I do hope things pick up a bit, but I have little hope that they will. This show had soooo much potential, but IMO it's a huge flop, and should not have gone beyond a single season.

We love men. We just don't want to see them naked.~ Two Nice Girls

mad_dog1015 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-29-02, 08:36 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Season two vs. season one"
Hi All!,

First time poster but big fan of show and this site! Keep up the great work everyone! I do agree that this show is not as "sharp" as the first season but I am still enjoying it. I do miss the more challenging and interesting tasks that the teams had to complete in the first season but I am gonna stick with it through the end. This show is still a lot better and interesting then a lot of the stuff on TV!

PEACE ALL!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •