The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The origins of Momily"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Goober 209 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-20-01, 09:12 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"The origins of Momily"
As I have seen "Momily" used in the summaries on Mightybigtv (courtesy of Heymikey's notice) it has intrigued me as to who the first person to coin this moniker would be. Any ideas?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The origins of Momily Cole 12-20-01 1
   RE: The origins of Momily SurvivorBlows 12-20-01 2
       NIH AyaK 12-20-01 3
           Now as far as I'm concerned... Survivorerist 12-22-01 4
               RE: Now as far as I'm concerned... Goober 12-23-01 6
           RE: NIH Miss Alli 12-22-01 5
               RE: NIH SkyRaider 12-25-01 7
               Agreed AyaK 12-26-01 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Cole 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-20-01, 10:29 AM (EST)
1. "RE: The origins of Momily"
I did a search of the archived threads, and it was "Skyraider" on 10/14 in a thread called "who will win SPOILER" last updated 10/17. That's the first time it showed up on this board, there is something called a MightyTV Board that I don't go to because it's too slow and never works, so I don't know if it came from there or went over there.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-20-01, 01:31 PM (EST)
2. "RE: The origins of Momily"
For reference, here's the link:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/cgi-bin/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=68&forum=DCForumID20&archive=yes

...it looks like it was quickly widely adopted, as within the next several days there are numerous references to the term.

-SB

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-01, 10:45 PM (EST)
3. "NIH"
Unfortunately, while the term Momily was POPULARIZED here, it wasn't COINED here. In fact, no one knows for sure where it was coined. This clip is taken from a summary of Episode 4 on Mighty Big TV's Web site, posted 10/4/01:

"Kevin waves down at Nancy and Emily from a high window as they arrive at the Port of Marseilles. Momily (tm somebody -- claim your tm and I'll get you next time) are trying to figure out how to get up to where he is."

However, MBTV did not use the term on a regular basis until we did (see Lisapooh's E6 summary) ...

If the person who coined this term is out there, let us know when and where it was coined! Otherwise, its origins shall forever be shrouded in mystery.

Survivorerist 4103 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-22-01, 02:08 AM (EST)
4. "Now as far as I'm concerned..."
The term Momily was in use long before TAR. To the best of my understanding, Momily is a mixture of the words "Mom" and "Homily" and refers to any saying your mother would say to you, with examples such as...

"Put on your coat, you're going to catch cold"

"Because I said so"

and

"Go ask your father"

That's what I know. But if you're referring to Momily as applied to TAR, I have no idea and I'm sorry for having wasted your time

"Lindsey. Where are you going? Sit it."
- Jeff Probst

Goober 209 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-23-01, 12:09 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Now as far as I'm concerned..."
LAST EDITED ON 12-23-01 AT 01:02 PM (EST)

LOL. Thanks y'all. It had been my impression that "Momily" was the hybrid name for Mom and Emily. Goes to show what the knowledge of various folks combined can uncover.

Miss Alli 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-22-01, 10:20 PM (EST)
5. "RE: NIH"
Just to add to your detective work, as it happens, I write the recaps at MBTV, and I was never even at this site until last night.

So as the recap acknowledges, I didn't coin Momily, but nor did MBTV get it from here. Furthermore, it was in use in the E4 and E5 recaps, so it certainly wasn't popularized in an E6 summary. If you're looking for the right (tm), as far as I know it goes to Highwaygirl, on the MBTV boards. It may have more than one root (in other words, it may have sprung up in more than once place at once), but the road to its use on MBTV doesn't lead through here.

SkyRaider 1301 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

12-25-01, 00:48 AM (EST)
7. "RE: NIH"
LAST EDITED ON 12-25-01 AT 00:51 AM (EST)

I was credited on this thread as being the first to use "Momily" on Blows, but also being a fan of MBTV and Miss Alli's recaps, I'm sure that I probably lifted it from there unconsciously without acreditation.

What did the guy say, "Imitation is the purest form of flattery?"

I'm certainly not clever enough to have thought it up on my own.

*Still grieving for the loss of Emily*

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

12-26-01, 02:47 PM (EST)
8. "Agreed"
LAST EDITED ON 12-26-01 AT 02:53 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 12-26-01 AT 02:48 PM (EST)

>If you're looking for the right (tm), as far as I know
>it goes to Highwaygirl, on the MBTV boards. It
>may have more than one root (in other words, it
>may have sprung up in more than one place at
>once), but the road to its use on MBTV doesn't
>lead through here.

No disagreement there -- and my point was that it showed up on other boards subsequent to its use in the E6 summary here. My excerpt of your E4 summary was intended to illustrate that it was NIH ("not invented here"). I'm more than willing to believe that Highwaygirl on MBTV was the originator, since your site was the first place the term appears -- by two weeks over everywhere else.

But an apt turn of phrase spreads like wildfire, once it hits a mass audience...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •