The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Your personal TAR moments"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-22-06, 11:30 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Your personal TAR moments"
Here's a thread for the interregnum between TAR 10 and All-Stars.

Now that you've been watching this show for however long, how has it crept into your Real Life? Have you ever had any moments where you feel like you're on TAR?

I had one the other day:

I sometimes, but not always, take the Metro home from my 2-10 PM shift. Trains come less frequently at night. I had to put more money on my SmartCard (a dumb idea, but that's another post) to ensure that I'd have enough to get out of the station. To do that, I had to swipe my SmartCard on the proper machine and then pay for it by adjusting the amount, then run my debit card through, then touch my SmartCard again.

While I was doing this, my train came and went. I got down the short escalator just in time to see the doors close. It would be another 15 minutes until another train came.

Turns out I would have had enough left on the card to reach my destination without visiting the machine (d'ohhhh!), although I would have had to do so before leaving the other station. I thought about how if this were TAR, the Other Team(s) would be 15 minutes ahead.

Also, I have turned volksmarches (a rather TAR-esque hobby) into little TAR episodes. It's easy to go the wrong way if you're not observant. Or even if you are!

And not too far afield was the road rally we had in college. It led to numerous arguments, some teams getting hopelessly lost, and my team making One Wrong Turn and losing (it's the shortest distance traveled, NOT the fastest time). Oh, and a lot of fun at the post-race party.

How about you all? Where has TAR shown up for you in everyday life, hobbies, etc.?

Tribe strikes again!
You've been warned, so don't complain.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Your personal TAR moments TAR_RELOADED 12-23-06 1
   RE: Your personal TAR moments Cygnus X1 12-23-06 4
       RE: Your personal TAR moments cahaya 12-26-06 7
           RE: Your personal TAR moments dabo 12-26-06 10
               RE: Your personal TAR moments vince3 12-26-06 11
                   RE: Your personal TAR moments cahaya 12-27-06 13
 I have anti-TAR moments. Earl Colby Pottinger 12-24-06 5
   RE: I have anti-TAR moments. maryellennaco 12-26-06 8
 RE: Your personal TAR moments cahaya 12-24-06 6
 RE: Your personal TAR moments Max Headroom 12-26-06 9
   RE: Your personal TAR moments Cygnus X1 12-27-06 12
 RE: Your personal TAR moments byoffer 12-28-06 14
 RE: Your personal TAR moments dragonflies 01-04-07 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

TAR_RELOADED 42 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-23-06, 01:10 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Your personal TAR moments"
Cygnus X1,

As far as my TAR moments, I have been to several locations TAR has visited by interest and luck. Some of the locations from TAR7 in Santiago, Chile including Don Augusto restaurant, pit stop where Phil stood, the fernicular to go to view the statue of Virgin Mary.
Also locations in Berlin, Germany; Rome & Venice,Italy, Cancun & Mexico City, Mexico.
If things go right next year possibly Barcelona & Madrid, Spain. In 2 years hopefully South Africa. Would love to see Victoria Falls. That was a spectactular view they showed on TAR 1 with Kevin and Drew. We'll see.

the one thing I love about TAR is seeing how racers interact with People from other countries and their cultures.

Believe me when you travel internationally you get to see people that are just "tourists" and do not use any common sense and those that are "travelers" that are respectful of the country and the culture.

Well my 2 cents. Hope to hear from others. Can't wait until TAR 11.

tar_reloaded

12-23-06, 12:00 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Your personal TAR moments"
Good stuff, TAR-RE! And welcome to the boards.

If you look back in the archives, you'll find other threads of folks who have visited/talked about TAR sites. Many pics too!

Of course, you'll need quite a telescope to see Victoria Falls from South Africa.

Tribe strikes again!
I reckon because of the political situation in Zimbabwe, you'd probably have to visit the falls from Zambia. That shot of the Festers in front of the Falls did become the show's signature photo, didn't it?

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

12-26-06, 03:47 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Your personal TAR moments"
Just curious, what happened to post# 2 and 3 in this thread?

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-26-06, 11:55 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Your personal TAR moments"
I expect one of the blue peeps in charge of this forum removed them for cause.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

12-26-06, 11:59 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Your personal TAR moments"
2 and 3 were both a dating spam post.

I alerted, and probably others too

Because 3 Vinces are better than one.

12-27-06, 11:51 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Your personal TAR moments"
"... dates from six continents and as far as 10,000 miles away."

A wonderful sig-gift from Nutz.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

12-24-06, 11:16 AM (EST)
5. "I have anti-TAR moments."
Repeatly when out friends, girlfriend, ex-girlfriend a moment happens and I realize that if TAR ever opens up to Canadians that this person can not be my partner. They make stupid choices that even when pointed out that there are better options they refuse to change, most seem incapable of reading a map on the fly, and the range of fears of rodents, insects and reptiles is in some just plain weird.

Fear of climbing, falling, eating odd foods - the last is a joke. Have you seen some of the things Jamaicans, Dutch, and English/Scottish eat?

I know only two people I can use to enter the race - my brother or his daughter and if I choose her, he says he will never talk to me again. To me the race can cause major trouble.

Does anyone know where to find a girlfriend who will jump out of a perfectly good working plane? Scale down a cliff facing down? Walk thru a lion pit? And eat just about anything?

maryellennaco 1084 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-26-06, 02:56 PM (EST)
8. "RE: I have anti-TAR moments."
I bet one of the BQ's is available!!! Or possbily Lynn or Carlyn??

12-24-06, 11:51 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Your personal TAR moments"
Having lived in SE Asia for almost 20 years until recently moving back to the U.S., I've had more TAR moments than I could possibly count. I also did a lot of work with the U.N. and World Customs Organization, so I've traveled to quite a few countries and mixed with quite a wide variety of people from different cultures.

I did one rally around 1995 in Macau while Macau was still a Portuguese holding. It was kind of amazing to see a European city right smack dab in the middle of China. My partner was a work colleague, a relocated German guy living in Singapore. We took a rec buggy all around Macau to various historical sites, figuring out all the clues as I drove and he navigated and spotted, with both of us discussing the new clue and the reviewing the map at each stage of the rally race. It was quite a lot of fun spinning around on the narrow cobblestone streets of Macau in a buggy!

With Macau not far from Hong Kong (just a jet-boat trip away), most the people there spoke English, as well as Portuguese and Chinese, and the people there were very friendly - even to two computer network geeks obviously dashing around in a rally race!

A wonderful sig-gift from Nutz.

We celebrated our victory that night with some genuine port!

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

12-26-06, 07:29 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Your personal TAR moments"
I have a TAR moment every time we are driving and come to a closed road. My wife looks at the detour sign and asks me, "What's a detour?" The correct answer, of course, is:

"A detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons."

Happy Holidays from Max!

12-27-06, 10:45 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Your personal TAR moments"
I reckon if she didn't know that's how you'd answer, she wouldn't ask!

Tribe strikes again!
You've been warned, so don't complain.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

12-28-06, 09:33 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Your personal TAR moments"
Hey Cyg

I was never a TAR watcher until All-Stars, but then the TAR Family Edition inspired me to do a family edition trip of my own...and to the same place where the went...Utah!

Ours wasn't a race, but we did manage to go from Vegas to Vegas, going around the Grand Canyon and checking out lots of those "ugly national parks" in Utah that Mamma Weaver warned us about. We hiked in the snow in Bryces Canyon, trekked through Zion and Capital Reef, and even scaled part way down the Grand Canyon itself. Not bad for a family of 5, and we challenge the TAR people to try a race with famliies travelling with babies! (our ws 7 months at the time). And despite what the Weaver's said, it was all stunningly beautiful.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

01-04-07, 03:46 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Your personal TAR moments"
Hey Cyggie!

Our family have TAR moments all the time! Here are just a few.

When we are running up or down the stairs, invariably one of us will say "Hurry, Hurry, Fast, Fast!"

Last year we were in an airport, and had to run to catch our connection flight, and my son commented that it felt like we were on TAR, and he hoped they would keep the airplane doors open for us. They did.

We once drove around Chicago in a taxi looking for the original Gino's Pizza place.

Two week's ago when we flew south we stopped in KC, and Ft Lauderdale Airports and all of us scanned around looking for clueboxes, since we heard All Stars was wrapping up.

Make this the best day of your life!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •