The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"amazing race"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

maggie1308 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-05-07, 05:48 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"amazing race"
I'm an aussie and began watching this programme about half way thru. What is it about the Weavers that people don't like because i do like them. i usually do go for the underdog and they seem to me to be just that.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: amazing race Snidget 01-05-07 1
   RE: amazing race maggie1308 01-05-07 2
 RE: amazing race Max Headroom 01-05-07 3
   RE: amazing race Wacko Jacko 01-05-07 4
       RE: amazing race Snidget 01-05-07 5
       RE: amazing race Earl Colby Pottinger 01-08-07 18
   RE: amazing race maggie1308 01-05-07 8
       RE: amazing race Max Headroom 01-08-07 17
   RE: amazing race maggie1308 01-05-07 9
       RE: amazing race dabo 01-07-07 15
           RE: amazing race Starshine 01-09-07 19
 RE: amazing race Cygnus X1 01-05-07 6
 RE: amazing race CTgirl 01-05-07 7
   RE: amazing race maggie1308 01-05-07 10
       RE: amazing race Cygnus X1 01-06-07 11
           RE: amazing race maggie1308 01-06-07 12
               RE: amazing race Snidget 01-06-07 13
                   RE: amazing race TAR_RELOADED 01-06-07 14
                       RE: amazing race lordassmonkey 01-07-07 16
 RE: amazing race Starshine 01-09-07 20
   RE: amazing race lordassmonkey 01-09-07 21
       Pic warning - lordassmonkey Bebo 01-09-07 22
       Ditto what Bebo said... IceCat 01-09-07 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-05-07, 06:11 AM (EST)
1. "RE: amazing race"
I think the problem people had was the holier-than-thou attitude along with some talking the talk of Christianity while not really behaving in a particularly Christian manner. Generally a lot of watcher have problems with anyone that doesn't walk their talk, regardless of what the talk is.

I thought I remember there were a few cases of seriously excessive whining that showed up at some point.

It's hard to root for the underdog when you can't stand what they are doing and most of the thing they say make you cringe. I'm sure if you look through the forum you can find the specific examples of what they did that drove people nuts.

It's a tribe creation!

01-05-07, 06:57 AM (EST)
2. "RE: amazing race"
Thanks SNIDGET for replying to my question. I have never done this type of thing before. To tell the truth, I could never work it out but success tonite. Hooray!! I have been reading other comments on the Weavers and I suppose they do come across a bit hypercritical at times. All the teams have had a whinge about each other but it is so obvious with the Weavers. I'm still backing them tho. I know what it's like to lose your husband and the kids father. I do feel them. God can't help them, only themselves can do it and I feel they can. I wonder if they get on this site and read what viewers are saying. They could be laughing all the way to the bank for all we know. In Australia the show is on Thursday night at 8.30p.m. It was the double episode last night. It's 11 p.m. here Friday night so I'll finish up and go to bed. Hope to hear more comments from you in the a.m. good night, sweet dreams.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

01-05-07, 08:49 AM (EST)
3. "RE: amazing race"
LAST EDITED ON 01-05-07 AT 08:49 AM (EST)

Since the Family Edition was three TAR seasons ago in the US, my memories have faded a bit, but I agree with Snidget-- the hypocrisy of the Weavers about their Christianity was what I disliked most about them. They also seemed to go out of their way to antagonize the other teams, then they complained that nobody liked them. Every TAR season has a villain team (or two), but the Weavers were exceptionally unpleasant to watch.

In general, the Family Edition season is widely regarded as the worst TAR season. The concept just didn't work, as the logistics of moving teams of 4 severely limited the travel destinations. Throw in a group of mostly unlikable teams (headed by the Weavers) and you've got a ratings disaster. If you are enjoying TAR FE, I think you will enjoy the other seasons even more.

Welcome to the boards!

Wacko Jacko 2438 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

01-05-07, 11:28 AM (EST)
4. "RE: amazing race"
LAST EDITED ON 01-05-07 AT 11:31 AM (EST)

I am with you Maggie. I could not understand the backlash against the Weavers either. The same people that hated the Weavers all liked the Linzs and I thought the Linzs were immature and treated people wrongly. The Weavers were a mother and three kids....kids that were for the most part much younger than the Linzs. I think the family edition was an experiment that a lot of viewers did not take too. people were not really ready to grasp the pressures that are put on younger people in a stressful contest like the race. I myself was not a fan of the family edition but I liked the Weavers....at least better than the other finale participants.

01-05-07, 11:35 AM (EST)
5. "RE: amazing race"
It wasn't the kids that bothered me that much. I expect a certain level of meltdown and immaturity from any of the kids.

It was Mama Weaver's attitude that bothered me, and I'd think she'd be a problem for me even if she ran in the regular edition with another adult.

But each person has their own taste, which is what makes the boards fun Imagine how boring it would be if we all liked the same people all the time.

It's a tribe creation!

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-08-07, 11:51 AM (EST)
18. "RE: amazing race"
The key reason many of us like the Linzs was they behaved as they claimed to be. The Linzs came across as a bunch of FRATs (college/university students), and that is exactly how they acted.

Yes, I agree many of their actions were offensive - but at the same time the actions were honest to their claims about themselves.

The Weavers were different. They made a lot of claims of working from a high moral ground, while their actions were as low as they could go sometimes.

The problem with the Weavers was they were not honest to us, worse they were not honest to themselves - more then once we see them do something that they clearly know is underhanded than talk themselves into believing it was okay to do. This really raises doubt about how Christian in actions they are the rest of the time.

But enough about morals and actions. There are other reasons a lot of people dislike the Weavers. Pull out a map of America and follow their locations on the map while noting the comments. Even with a teacher on-board they don't know where the Great Lakes are. They don't know the differences between a City and a State. And hold onto your ear-plugs, the whining is going to get a lot worse!

01-05-07, 05:43 PM (EST)
8. "RE: amazing race"
Gidday Max, This is really good fun. It is a lot of pressure put on he younger members of TAR. Look at the family with the little six y.o. She was truly amazing. Nothing was a bother and she wanted to do the tasks. She just didn't want to be there for the sake of it, to make up the numbers. The parents were very proud of her. I'm not that good at remebering names. I feel Rollie Weaver is a good kid. he seems to turn a deaf ear to a lot of the bitching and just wants to get on with the job at hand. But I still didn't like the 'desperate housewives.' The Branson family is great. they work together and no bickering. My choice is, Weavers, gold, Bransons, silver and the Linz, bronze.
The last show should be really good to view.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

01-08-07, 07:56 AM (EST)
17. "RE: amazing race"
Glad to hear you're enjoying the show. I was a Bransen fan, as I thought they had the best family dynamics. Watching the three daughters motivating Wally was good TV for me! And they seemed to appreciate the places they went and the things they saw.

I also thought the younger kids did well in this season. Carissa and Billy Gaghan had great spirit, and Rolly Weaver did an excellent job given the team he had with him. It wasn't entirely a fair competition when some teams had school-age children while others were all adults. Over the long run, who is likely to be more successful, 8-year-old Carissa Gaghan or college-age Megan Linz?

Hope you enjoy the season finale, and get the chance to see other TAR seasons as well. As others have noted, TAR has visited Australia more than once, and I for one have enjoyed the chance to see a little of your scenery.

01-05-07, 05:53 PM (EST)
9. "RE: amazing race"
Just read ur message again, Max. What! am I reading it correctly? 3 season's ago? If that's so, what is TAR doing now? What year wasit?

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

01-07-07, 01:50 AM (EST)
15. "RE: amazing race"
TAR, like Survivor and some other reality shows here, has two seasons per year, fall and spring. Family Edition was #8 for us. We just finished watching season #10 before Christmas and are looking forward to a better season #11 starting in February.

That said, I really thought Rolly Weaver was great on Family TAR. That is one great kid.

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

01-09-07, 11:35 AM (EST)
19. "RE: amazing race"
Thank you for that, I was always a little confused when the seasons were.

So when TARA finishes TAR 11 will start, fantastic!

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

01-05-07, 03:33 PM (EST)
6. "RE: amazing race"
Hi, Maggie! Welcome aboard.

I was going to suggest that you search back in this and the Bashers forum to see what people thought of TARFE, but it seems to me that you don't want the story to be spoiled, so you might want to wait until the series is done to do so.

Here are the summaries that we wrote of the episodes that season (except Ep. 3).

And I'll mention a few things to watch for besides the Weavers (you may already have seen some of these):

The sorriest Roadblock ever
Arguably the most unfair Philimination ever
One of the saddest Philiminations ever
A highly ironic Philimination
The leader of one Team literally steers them wrong
One Racer kisses a bumper
Two unlikely Racers take the plunge
Who thought trailers would be so challenging?
One of the most grueling searches ever
More than one fashion faux pas

Tribe strikes again!
You've been warned, so don't complain.

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

01-05-07, 05:12 PM (EST)
7. "RE: amazing race"
I think another thing that bothered us armchair travelers was not only did they badmouth the other racers, but they also badmouthed the places they were visiting. I remember in particular their calling Utah "ugly" while they were driving through a geologically unique area. I was like, "hey if you don't want to be there, let me go!" That is one part of the USA I'm dying to visit so I was peeved they weren't enjoying it.

01-05-07, 06:07 PM (EST)
10. "RE: amazing race"
Gidday CTgirl, I will never get to the USA so am enjoying the beautiful scenery where the teams have to visit. I am travelling for free to your country and loving it.
It would be great if the makers of TAR came down under to do a show. We have the most beautiful and unique scenery here. Climbing Uluru in NT would be a real challenge. I have climbed it and it was my life's wish to do it. There are the Blue Mountains in NSW, Janolen Caves, The wave rock in WA, The Great Aust. Bite across the Nullabor Plains, The Great Barrier Reef, Climbing the Harbour Bridge. I could go on and on. I feel it would be one of the best shows here. But then I am an Aussie, Oi,oi, oi.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-07, 00:28 AM (EST)
11. "RE: amazing race"
Again, I don't want to give away the goods too soon, but TAR has been to Oz a few times, most recently in Season 9.

Tribe strikes again!
You've been warned, so don't complain.

01-06-07, 02:09 AM (EST)
12. "RE: amazing race"
What season is the family one as that's the one on now. The final episode is next Thursday, 11th Jan, 2007.
Yes, TAR has been on TV a few times over the years but tis is the first one I have actually sat and watched. What episode is it, in USA?

01-06-07, 07:25 AM (EST)
13. "RE: amazing race"
TAR-Family Edition was I think Season 8 and aired here the fall of 2005

Season 9 and 10 were back to the regular format and were both aired in 2006.

TAR11 is an All-Stars version (people who ran the race before) and should start sometime soon in America so it will wrap up during May which is when they do ratings for shows so a lot of finales are timed so they are in May since they tend to have big ratings.

It's a tribe creation!

TAR_RELOADED 42 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-06-07, 11:38 PM (EST)
14. "RE: amazing race"
G'day maggie1308!

And Welcome to this forum. I have been reading some of the posts here and I see that you have been watching Amazing Race 8. You reminded me of a trip I was on last year in Florence, Italy where I met 4 Auzzies that were simply wonderful people. I believe 2 were from Sydney and the other 2 were from Brisbane. We had a great time with them (knocked back a few cold ones) and somehow got on the conversation of the Amazing Race. I happened to have my trusty Amazing Race translator with me and we must have gabbed for another hour just about the Race. They did say much they enjoyed the race especially Race 9. I was wondering if they show different TAR races at different times depending on the city in Australia possibly?
Back to TAR8, since most us here know the outcome of the race ( and I won't give it away for you), was your prediction based on rooting interest or editing or something else?
As Snidget said, the forum would be pretty boring if we all liked the same teams so I am always interested to hear an outside opinion (meaning outside the U.S.)of what others think of the racers' attitudes, knowledge or lack of knowledge of cultures, and overall traveling skills.

Regards,

tar-reloaded

lordassmonkey 43 desperate attention whore postings

01-07-07, 07:57 AM (EST)
16. "RE: amazing race"
I remember rooting for the Weavers I seen nothing wrong with them they may have pissed off alot of religous people by doing "un christian like things" or whatever but that's how reality tv manipulates us all to precieve them as.
I personally Didn't care for the Paulo's or whatever the hell they were callled that Italian Family it just made me wanna vommit the way that little kid was treating his mother i wanted to deck him and knock him on his A**. That poor woman had to put up with that. I know it's all edited to look that way but still I just dont wanna know what we didnt see..
Anyway did anyone else think that that one guy looked like Will Smith.. from the black family

ShawnXmonkey
http://www.youtube.com/user/lordassmonkey

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

01-09-07, 11:42 AM (EST)
20. "RE: amazing race"
A lot of people will tell you that TAR8 is the worst season, however being a pom I thought it was very good, we saw a lot of America, I remember Utah being particularly beautiful.

That said I really didn't care for the Weavils, it was a team of two people, which seemed to go against the idea of four in a team, and their holier than thou attitude, particularly coupled with their attitude to the rest of the teams, incessant name calling, lack of enjoyment of the race and constant fashion faux pas just really irritated me.

That said Rolly, what a dude, he dragged that team, without him they wouldn't have lasted half the time they did

lordassmonkey 43 desperate attention whore postings

01-09-07, 02:07 PM (EST)
21. "RE: amazing race"
Would of been better overalll if maybe they set an Age Limit..
Like 13 or 16 could be your youngest.
So they could travel more places and it wouldn't be so exhausting for little kids and stuff

ShawnXmonkey
http://www.youtube.com/user/lordassmonkey

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

01-09-07, 08:32 PM (EST)
22. "Pic warning - lordassmonkey "
Please don't keep posting that picture in multiple messages. Our guidelines clearly state that signature pictures must be a maximum of 60 pixels tall, and that picture is clearly larger than that.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

01-09-07, 09:55 PM (EST)
23. "Ditto what Bebo said..."

This optional single line of text is either regular size, or size "1", but NO LARGER...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •