The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Final Leg of the Race"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Canada Girl 3340 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-03-01, 12:49 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Final Leg of the Race"
Does anyone else think that the final three will have to go anywhere else after Alaska. The TV listings say the final three race from Alaska to the New York finish line. It seems like a slightly boring show if they don't have to stop anywhere on the way.

(This opinion may also come from the lingering hope that the Newfoundland, Canada rumour was true!)

Thoughts?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Final Leg of the Race...Can... trigirl 12-03-01 1
   RE: The Final Leg of the Race...Can... trigirl 12-03-01 2
       RE: The Final Leg of the Race...Can... Canada Girl 12-03-01 3
           RE: The Final Leg of the Race...Can... Ruthless 12-03-01 4
   RE: The Final Leg of the Race...Can... sleeeve 12-03-01 5
       RE: The Final Leg of the Race...Can... AussieMark 12-04-01 6
           Real International Reality Shows trigirl 12-04-01 7
               RE: Real International Reality Show... Cole 12-04-01 8
                   RE: Real International Reality Show... trigirl 12-04-01 9
                   Re: Real International Sentiment AmazingFan 12-04-01 10
                       RE: Re: Real International Sentimen... ykchan 12-04-01 11
                           RE: Re: Real International Sentimen... AussieMark 12-04-01 12
                               RE: Re: Real International Sentimen... samced 12-04-01 14
               RE: Real International Reality Show... sleeeve 12-04-01 15
 RE: The Final Leg of the Race Serendipity 12-04-01 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

trigirl 2851 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

12-03-01, 07:05 PM (EST)
1. "RE: The Final Leg of the Race...Canadian Connection?"
Canada Girl,

Hey Fellow Canadian! I have not heard the Newfoundland rumour. I am fairly new to the board..what was the rumour? I would love to see the final three teams visit our great country.

Why is it that Canadian teams\individuals are never allowed to enter these reality shows? They show these shows all over the world, so they should let people of any nationality enter.

Just a thought, eh!

12-03-01, 07:09 PM (EST)
2. "RE: The Final Leg of the Race...Canadian Connection?"
Me again.

Canada Girl said: The TV listings say the final three race from Alaska to the New York finish line.

Aren't there two more shows? Is the next one not an elimination round? Maybe they will make it to Newfoundland.

Cool.

Canada Girl 3340 desperate attention whore postings

12-03-01, 07:20 PM (EST)
3. "RE: The Final Leg of the Race...Canadian Connection?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-03-01 AT 07:22 PM (EST)

I'm hoping that because there are two more shows, the second will have them head for New York VIA Canada!

TriGirl, Hi! And try searching the board for the word "Newfoundland", it should show all the old chatting about it. There will be no more elimination rounds until the end now.

The basics of it was that someone thought they saw the Amazing Race being filmed at Signal Hill in Newfoundland... with a couple of men racing up the hill, would make sense with who's left and where they are time-wise!

Edited to say: It's killing me and my Canada Boy that we can't enter any of the reality shows. We're sure we'd kick butt!

Ruthless 281 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-03-01, 10:07 PM (EST)
4. "RE: The Final Leg of the Race...Canadian Connection?"
Doesn't Canadian TV have it's own reality shows?

Here in Australia we have had two local series of The Mole, a series called Treasure Island - a sort of Survivor/Mole clone in that no one gets voted off - where the person who knows the least about the days challenges and is furtherest away from guessing the location of the treasure has to leave. There is also a local Survivor being produced somewhere sometime. Australians have also been involved in an English reality show called Shipwrecked.

We've also had one called Race Around the World where individuals are sent off with a video camera and have to film the places they visit and a panel back in Australia votes on whose film is the best.

A TV channel here is calling for contestants for a show called The Fugitive. Sounds interesting as well - I guess the concept will be you are being pursued by someone and you have to stay clear of them.

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings

12-03-01, 10:40 PM (EST)
5. "RE: The Final Leg of the Race...Canadian Connection?"
>They
>show these shows all over
>the world, so they should
>let people of any nationality
>enter.

There are two reasons:

1) In order to enforce their silence contracts, the contestants must be US citizens... if they had Canadian contestants, they could go blab about who won, and there would be nothing that CBS could (legally) do about it.

2) They cannot have people of *any nationality* because the race is planned out with the idea that anyone with an American passport can easily get through the airports used in the show. With other countries, they'd have to check many other immigration laws along the way... basically a bigger nightmare then the producers want to handle.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

AussieMark 57 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-04-01, 01:53 AM (EST)
6. "RE: The Final Leg of the Race...Canadian Connection?"
Stop making excuses, yanks.

Aussies, New Zealanders, Canadians, Irish and even English are more well travelled than Americans and we would kick your butt!

As for the visa issue, Australian passports are accepted in more places than American ones without a visa... Australia tends to put less countries offside with our politics.

In any event, US passport holders do need visas for China (except Hong Kong) - I checked. So the producers must have organised visas beforehand, which means that the contestants knew they would probably be going to China. It also means that the producers could arrange visas for contestants of other nationalities... if they wanted to.

Let's face it, CBS doesn't want to invite people of other nationalities to participate because the Americans would probably be beaten and that doesn't do much for ratings! If you want to prove me wrong, then invite us into the competition.

-AussieMark

12-04-01, 08:36 AM (EST)
7. "Real International Reality Shows"
Interesting discussion.

Ruthless: Doesn't Canadian TV have it's own reality shows?
Ruthless, you have to remember Canada's proximity to the United States. We are inundated with American culture. There are very few truly Canadian programs compared to the gagillions beamed across the 49th parallel. Sadly, Canadian programs generally are viewed by less Canadians than American programs. Hence, we rely on the yanks for our entertainment.

Sleeve: In order to enforce their silence contracts, the contestants must be US citizens... if they had Canadian contestants, they could go blab about who won, and there would be nothing that CBS could (legally) do about it.
Sleeve, I do not think that is a valid argument. Look at the number of Canadian actors working in the U.S. Look at the number of American programs\movies filmed in Canada (you may not even realize). Obviously the law applies in those cases.

AussieMark: Aussies, New Zealanders, Canadians, Irish and even English are more well travelled than Americans and we would kick your butt!
AussieMark, I'm with you on this. It has nothing to do with passport or visas. Maybe you could use a language argument, but hey, english is widely spoken around the world.

You know what.. It might be sadly as simple as the fact that the entertainment industry feels that Americans can only relate to Americans. Look at the early buzz that Americans would not go and see "Harry Potter" if the actor was not played by an American boy (ie. Haley Joel Osmont). Hasn't seemed to deter them. Why is it that in the english speaking world, only one country had the title "Philosopher's Stone" changed so that Americans would related to it more easily.

I don't think the entertainment industry is giving Americans enough credit. Perhaps one day we'll see a change.

Cole 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-04-01, 11:38 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Real International Reality Shows"
There's no need for so much anti-U.S. sentiment here. I am Canadian born but I was naturalized as an American when I was 10, so I have allegiance to both countries. I don't think it's just TAR that has the citizenship requirement, I thought this was also required of would-be Survivor applicants. And it's not just these game shows, I think many sweepstakes contests are open only to U.S. residents. First of all, despite it being viewed around the world, this is an American show and there's no reason why the American producers can't limit it to American participants.

Trigirl, I think your response to Sleeve's assertion misses the point. There's a big difference between professional actors and "ordinary" people. Professionals are unlikely to have a formal secrecy contract in place (with threat of monetary penalties) because they are professionals. I've often heard actors in hyped movies like Star Wars or even TV shows like "what happened to Danny on NYPD Blue" say that they're sworn to secrecy. But I doubt there's a formal clause about it -they're professional and understand. Ordinary people might be tempted to blab all - I know I'd have a hard time telling my close friends and family what happened.

That having been said, I don't think the secrecy contracts are the reason behind the American limitation. Any person of any nationality, as long as they can be served with due process, can be sued in American courts for violating American laws.

AussieMark, you bring up the point that visas could be easily obtained for anyone. That's true, but it's one additional logistical problem to deal with if there's someone of another nationality. You mention that Australia is given the greenlight everywhere.... I disagree and here's an example. When I was in London for a summer, four of us were going to Paris for the weekend. The two Australian girls had problems because apparently Australians need visas to enter France (I think it has something to do with Greenpeace, I'm not kidding). They had to go and stand in line for 3 hours at the French embassy in London just to get approved. I'm sure the producers could handle the visas in advance, but it's another difference that could create problems. Imagine the hubbub if one team was delayed or gained an advantage because of problems/ease in getting through customs.

Also, I think that if there were ever any major problems that occurred with regard to the contestants and production, it's a lot easier for the producers to seek aid under the umbrella auspices of the American embassy if the contestants are all American. If an Englishman beats up a local during the filming of an American TV show, it's just one more hassle they have to deal with.

I think one of the big potential problems is taxes. (I am a tax attorney.) People who are not American citizens but who are permanent residents of the U.S. (i.e. have a green card) are taxed on all U.S. source income the same as any U.S. citizen. However, the application changes when you have nonresidents (temporary residents, those on work or student visas, or those who actually live in another country) earning U.S. source income. Depending on the earner's home country, different countries tax on "worldwide" income regardless of where earned, so there is the possibility that the income may actually be taxed twice. Moreover, typically all income earned in the U.S. is subject to social security and related withholding taxes (that thing on your pay stub that says FICA, among other things). Certain countries, including Canada, have something called totalization agreements in which these withholding taxes are not paid into the U.S. social security system but rather the person's home country's equivalent system, upon the meeting of certain requirements. The complexities of these laws and trying to figure out who applies to what is probably just something they don't want to deal with.

Sorry for all this information if it wasn't what you were looking for. My point is that there are a lot of production-related issues that I don't think we can begin to understand or figure out how to deal with.

12-04-01, 01:56 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Real International Reality Shows"
Cole said: There's no need for so much anti-U.S. sentiment here.

Sorry...that was not my intent. I'm just whining because I would love to apply for TAR!

Thanks for all the info Cole.

AmazingFan 121 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-04-01, 02:34 PM (EST)
10. "Re: Real International Sentiment"
It always seems to come as a bit of shock to Americans to find out that Canadians, Brits and Aussies talk about Americans in the way we do. I read with some amusement that Chelsea Clinton was quite shocked at the "anti-American" sentiments she heard expressed at Oxford this year. But the truth is most Canadians, Aussies and Brits are not anti-American at all. Just because we are critical of some things about the US, or American attitudes or culture, does not mean we are anti-American. It just means we are not American, so we have a different point of view. It doesn't mean we don't appreciate the good things about the US, of which there are many - TAR being one of them

I think you are right about the passport difficulties. Last time I flew into the US I had to wait quite some time to go through Immigration while the US passport holders went straight through. So this could cause precious time delays if the contestants did not carry the same passports.

ykchan 58 desperate attention whore postings

12-04-01, 03:00 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Re: Real International Sentiment"
LAST EDITED ON 12-04-01 AT 03:09 PM (EST)

Just my two cents. I think the reason that it comes "as a bit of a shock" is because -- at least where I grew up and have lived in the States -- we don't talk about Brits, Aussies and Canadians in that manner (on second thought, scratch that on occasion for the last group...and I'm a dual U.S.-Canadian citizen BTW who has more Canadian relatives than U.S., so the ribbing occurs on both sides ). If anything, Americans take the more naive route and go, "Wow, what cool accents!", "Do you own a kangaroo?", etc.

Having said that, it does come as a shock when we hear those comments abroad. I lived in the UK for a year and was amazed by some of the sentiments expressed by students and professors. (I was trying to imagine an occasion that my U.S. professors would openly make fun of the Brits in an international business class, and I couldn't.) I've also heard similar comments when I travel. Were some of those comments "anti-American?" Absolutely. But hey, opinions are opinions: some keep them to themselves, some don't.

As for this comment by AussieMark: Aussies, New Zealanders, Canadians, Irish and even English are more well travelled than Americans and we would kick your butt!

On the whole I agree, but this has a LOT to do with American culture. In a country where the road trip is king, it's not common to travel abroad. It's much more common to get a part-time job while going through uni or school and save up money for tuition. It's also NOT the custom to take a gap year. I didn't know anything about hostels, backpacking, etc., until I spent the year abroad. When I told friends I was vacationing in Australia next month, the internationals and U.S. friends who had studied overseas thought it was cool. The ones who were born, grew up, and settled in the same place all wondered why on earth. So I'm not saving up for a house -- I'm saving up for travel. Works for me :-D

AussieMark 57 desperate attention whore postings

12-04-01, 05:38 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Re: Real International Sentiment"
All your statements are well made, and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am getting a sense of how American culture is more about exploring and thinking about America first, and travelling abroad next. And after all, when us in "the rest of the world" travel, we inevitably include the USA somewhere in our plans.

But I am disappointed that not one American respondee has yet said: "Bring it on! We'd be happy to race against you if it was possible" Surely you guys aren't scared?!

As for the money issue, Cole, I'm sure that there are plenty of Americans as well as Aussies, Canadians etc who would compete for the fun and challenge, with no prize money -or taxes-involved.

How about this as a solution and suggestion to CBS: Not so much a race around the world, but a contest around the world. Teams from different countries compete in challenges within each country and score points for their places in each challenge. Within each country, it would be very similar to TAR (eg the same grusome challenges within India) but travel across borders is taken out of the equation, removing the farce of leads disappearing when most teams jump on the same flights. Elimination rounds would be based on cumulative points scored (except that the Americans would never be eliminated because that would kill ratings... just kidding!). The contest could start in NYC where locals would be favourites (notice the non-American spelling!) against international competitors, then move on to the home territories of the other teams.

So how about it Yanks? Are you up for the challenge, if it was possible?

On a final note, notice how the show's host isn't even a yank? Although an American citizen, Phil is a New Zealander at heart.

-AussieMark

samced 72 desperate attention whore postings

12-04-01, 07:17 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Re: Real International Sentiment"
>>
>But I am disappointed that not
>one American respondee has yet
>said: "Bring it on!
> We'd be happy to
>race against you if it
>was possible" Surely you
>guys aren't scared?!
>
No we are not scared!

>As for the money issue, >I'm sure that there are
>plenty of Americans as well
>as Aussies, Canadians etc who
>would compete for the fun
>and challenge, with no prize
>money -or taxes-involved.
>
Actually we do have a competition of sorts that we do with the above mentioned countries, plus a few others, its called
the Olympics "

By the way AussieMark I lived in your country for 2 1/2 years
Loved it!!!!!!!!

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings

12-04-01, 07:40 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Real International Reality Shows"
>Sleeve, I do not think that
>is a valid argument.

I'm sorry... I should have been more clear... this is the official position of CBS, not my own position.

Personally, I'd love to see a bunch of international teams compete on the show... perhaps 12 teams from 12 different countries competing in a race through each of those 12 countries. Would the New York frat brothers make a crucial mistake while in the subway? Would the Canadian hockey players get lost in the streets of Montreal? Would the Parisian professors assault a taxi driver outside the Arc de Triomphe and get eliminated by only a few minutes? Oh wait... strike that last one... no one could ever be that rude!

The bottom line is that the show is made for Americans by Americans... and Americans are pretty damn self-centered. Regardless of what CBS's official excuse is, they want a show that is marketable to their primary audience... so they'll stick with American teams until something changes their mind.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

Serendipity 525 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-04-01, 06:41 PM (EST)
13. "RE: The Final Leg of the Race"
As one American who has traveled extensively to Europe and Asia, and a bit to the Middle East and Africa, I'd be very happy to say "bring it on, Aussie Mark. I'm not afraid of competing against you."

It would all be in vain, however, since I don't have the resources to produce a TV show. Since you seem to be in a position to do so, why don't you invite those from the U.S. and Canada. We'll all be there.

Excellent post, ykchan. I, too, have been surprised that some of our "friends" have been quite open in their criticisms - at least to my face. I can most definitely say that I have been critical of them as well, but would just as soon cut my tongue out rather than hurt their feelings.

One wonderful experience I've had, by the way, is traveling to my favorite foreign country - Germany. I've never been there that I haven't had people go as far as to THANK me for what we did for their country after World War II. I'm not just talking about the older people either. I always take small boxes of salt water taffy (from my home state) or nice key chains with me to give out to people who have been especially kind. I gave taffy to a very young waitress in a hotel in Bingen on the Rhein, and she gave me a kiss and said it reminded her of the stories of G.I.'s giving chocolate bars to her family. We both had a nice little cry and a hug. Made my trip.

Got really off-topic. Sorry.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •