The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"TAR Pilgrimage"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Neobie 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-22-05, 01:52 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"TAR Pilgrimage"
LAST EDITED ON 04-22-05 AT 02:53 PM (EST)

I was inspired by Sittem showing us his(?) wonderful photos of the Chicago Finish Line here, so here's my share of photos of TAR locations! (Don't laugh at those with the ugly mug in it - that's me.)

In a new thread to prevent hijacking of Sittem's one and to stop bandwidth from getting killed.

TAR1, TAR2 - BANGKOK, THAILAND

Bangkok Intl Airport

Remember the specially designated areas that read 'For Monks Only'? This one was especially hard to find.

Royal Hotel

Where Kevin/Drew spent their first night, near the Democracy Monument. I also have a photo of the hotel where the Guidos sat on their Fast Forward, but haven't had the time to scan it into my computer yet.

Wat Arun, the Temple of Dawn

The cluebox was on the left end of the photo, just at the top of the stair landing.

This puppy (or one of its relatives) licked Rob awake about five years ago!

The alleyways behind the temple, where teams that chose the Private option of the Detour had to find their cars. Really confusing and huge neighbourhood.

Wat Pho, the Temple of the Reclining Buddha

Yep, here's the Buddha, directly across the river from the Temple of Dawn.

The most fiercely-competed-for Fast Forward yet. It was fun though!

Siam Train Station

In the heart of the city, where Tara/Wil still work, or worked.

Erawan Shrine

About five minutes walking distance from the Siam Station. The cluebox was at the right end of this photo.

Confusion Now

Just walk straight north for fifteen minutes and you'll hit Klong Mahanak and Pratunam Pier for the boat.

Here's the bird market, located across the street from Loha Prasat. Sadly, the market has been pulled down after the bird flu scare of 2003.

And here's Loha Prasat, where Cyndi/Russell winded up, and started climbing the stupas.

Confusion Later

Lee Tee Beo Shrine in Chinatown, the place where teams burned and offered cars to their ancestors. A killer to find that I happened to stumble upon, there are too many corners and bends in the area. Just try walking north and west from the White Orchid Hotel until you hit Soi 16.

Tuk Tuks

Remember the tuk tuk battle between Chris/Alex and Gary/Dave?

Pak Klong Talad

The flower market at the start of Leg 2.6. The specific stall is along Thanon Chakkaphet, a few stalls away from the main junction of the market.

Hualamphong Train Station

Where teams waited for their train to Chiang Mai.

TAR2 - CHIANG MAI, THAILAND
Actually passed by the elephant camp where they washed elephants, but didn't take any photos.

Mae Ping River

A really bad shot of the river that the teams rafted down. Head north from Chiang Mai and you will definitely pass the river before reaching Chiang Dao.

Karen Village

Actually, this is just a random Karen Village. The one that TAR visited was just east of Chiang Dao.

Wat Chet Yot, the Temple of Seven Spires

Another bad shot taken from a bus. It's on the northeastern edge of the centre of town, take a taxi there.

TAR2 - HONG KONG, CHINA
On my second trip taking photos in Hong Kong, my camera ended up being stolen in Guangzhou, up in mainland China. Sorry about that.

Central Plaza

The (once) tallest building in Hong Kong. You can go up to the 46th floor to the viewing gallery. Photos are somewhere with someone in China.

Wong Tai Sin Temple

The main temple complex, a short walk from the train station.

The 'mall complex' to the left of the temple, where fortune tellers sell their trade. Here's the shop of Amelia Chow at the basement level!

Star Ferry

Here's the Tsim Sha Tsui side of the Star Ferry, linking this to Wan Chai where Central Plaza is.

The Star Ferry making its way across the harbour.

Where the cluebox was located, at the bus terminal outside the ferry pier. The producers actually made a mistake, putting this at the exit to the Central ferry instead of the one from Wan Chai.

Wishing Tree

In the New Territories, quite a way out of town. You can take a bus from the main KCR train line.

Herbal Tea

Sang Sang Medicine Hall, at 53 Reclamation Street, a really long walk away from the Star Ferry pier. Walk up Nathan St, turn left on Saigon St and right again on Reclamation St.

HIT Container Terminal

The world's largest container terminal at Kwai Chung. You can actually get a pretty good view of the entire port by taking 'A' buses from Central to the Airport.

Duk Ling Junk

For tourist bookings every Thursday. You'll have to book tickets with your passports at one of the tourist centres around town, like the one in The Centre (where Mary/Peach mistakenly went to). There's really very little space for a mat in the boat, but apparently they managed to squeeze it on board.

Repulse Bay

There are two statues there, and I'm not sure if this is the photo of the correct one. One is of Tin Hau, the goddess of the sea, the other Kwun Yam, which I think is pictured here. The two statues stand side by side on Repulse Bay. Take any 6 bus from Central.

Stanley

Continue on the same bus down to Stanley. Here's the location of the cluebox, right in the centre of the photo.

And here's Murray House, where the teams were directed. There's always some dragon boating going on in the background.

Lucky Building

The building that got Oswald/Danny the fastest flight to Sydney. It's on Wellington Street in Central. The Starbucks they patronized is further down the street towards the Bank of China, and the shopping mall is the Landmark, a posh place just a right turn from the Starbucks.

TAR3 - KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

KL Intl Airport

The place where Ken/Gerald were prancing around!

Petronas Towers

Performing another TAR task: getting locals to take photos of me and the towers on a digital camera.

Ampang Park

The train station which Teri/Ian bumbled into looking for the shopping centre. It's right outside the mall.

The Quick Foto shop with blatent product placement! Walk straight after entering the mall, then turn left halfway down. Something to note, the Kodak EasyShare machine is no longer there...

KL Railway Station

More for tourists than for transport, Teri/Ian make another wrong turn and head here while looking for the train to Singapore.

Train to Singapore

It's a long half-day ride, but the scenery outside is nice. Memories of Flo playing cards with Drew.

TAR3 - SINGAPORE
Also have photos of the booth where Colin 'intensely' made his flight bookings, but I'll have to scan that in as well.

Train Station

Actually a part of Malaysia right smack in downtown Singapore, this is where you end up when you take the train to the island.

National Orchid Garden

Here's Margaret Thatcher! Oh, and almost all the teams ran through the patch of grass with a sign that said 'Keep of the grass'.

Singapore Zoological Gardens

Still remember Teri's paper underwear? The manatees here sure do. Take a bus from Yio Chu Kang train station.

Bukit Panjang

Choa Chu Kang Central, block 229, unit #10-137. Get there by taking the Light Rail one stop from Choa Chu Kang. The block is the one directly to the north. Take the lift to the 11th floor, walk left down the corridor, then walk down the staircase to the 10th floor. It's not that hard, really. Even though Phua Chu Kang doesn't live here, bring earplugs still - the whine of Flo still reverberates throughout the estate.

Fountain of Wealth

Site of the. Lamest. Roadblock. Ever. The one that they didn't even air. Well, I went ahead and ran three times around the fountain anyway. The cluebox was on the right side of the path to the centre.

Mount Faber

Where John Vito/Jill were sadly eliminated. The mat was on the arrow pointing towards 'Haw Par Villa'. Be warned - the run up to the lookout point from the road is rather tiring.

Covered the places in Manila, including the Giant Duck at Masapang (six hour bus ride from Manila), the Malaguena Motors Factory (taxi driver thought I was crazy for making him drive two hours out of town) and the Coconut Palace (the guide there asked if I watched TAR!), but they disappeared with the camera that got stolen... I'll be going backpacking across Vietnam soon, so that will be two more legs completed. Please share your journeys and experiences!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: TAR Pilgrimage ARnutz 04-22-05 1
 RE: TAR Pilgrimage Cygnus X1 04-22-05 2
 RE: TAR Pilgrimage JanetFAN 04-22-05 3
   RE: TAR Pilgrimage Neobie 04-23-05 4
 RE: TAR Pilgrimage louislam 04-23-05 5
 RE: TAR Pilgrimage clemsonbeav 04-23-05 6
   RE: TAR Pilgrimage Neobie 04-23-05 7
       RE: TAR Pilgrimage clemsonbeav 04-23-05 8
 RE: TAR Pilgrimage seahorse 04-23-05 9
 RE: TAR Pilgrimage Jims02 04-23-05 10
 RE: TAR Pilgrimage J Slice 04-23-05 11
   RE: TAR Pilgrimage Lula 04-29-05 18
 RE: TAR Pilgrimage dirob 04-25-05 12
 Photos from Shanghai louislam 04-26-05 13
   RE: Photos from Shanghai Neobie 04-26-05 14
       RE: Photos from Shanghai louislam 04-28-05 15
           RE: Photos from Shanghai Neobie 04-28-05 16
 RE: TAR Pilgrimage applejack93 04-28-05 17
 RE: TAR Pilgrimage sittem 04-29-05 19
   RE: TAR Pilgrimage Cygnus X1 04-30-05 20
 RE: TAR Pilgrimage Neobie 06-22-05 21
   RE: TAR Pilgrimage universityofkentuckyrocks 06-22-05 22
   Thank you so much! moonbaby 06-30-05 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-22-05, 02:18 PM (EST)
1. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
Great pics Neobie! It was like taking a walk down TAR memory lane. Thanks for sharing!

Psst... you don't have an ugly mug! You are a good looking man!

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-05, 07:46 PM (EST)
2. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
Since I missed TARs 1-4, I haven't seen these places, but with the seasons coming out on DVD, now I want to!

Nice work, Neobie! And may the fleas of a thousand camels nest in the armpit of the one who stole your camera.

JanetFAN 180 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-22-05, 09:33 PM (EST)
3. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
Wow you must be the luckiest person alive! Those pics make me want to watch the seasons so badly...where was that shop from season 2--the one that Mary and Peach couldn't find (I can't remeber if it was a flower shop or a tea shop) was that in Singapore? Oh well, awesome pics!

04-23-05, 06:44 AM (EST)
4. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
Thanks! The shop that Mary/Peach couldn't find was the medicine hall (tea shop) in Hong Kong. That one's a toughie too, had to search it out in the Yellow Pages and walk down the entire street (2000+ stallfronts) to find where the store is.

louislam 475 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-23-05, 08:28 AM (EST)
5. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
Wow! You have visited many places covered in the race, since I did not see TAR2, I am very surprised to see those pictures taken in Hong Kong!
Anyway, I also don't know the location of the tea house~ It is not a popular place.

I also took some photos when I visited Shanghai, I will post them here later.

The Amazing Race Fan from Hong Kong!

clemsonbeav 4208 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-23-05, 10:42 AM (EST)
6. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
Awesome pics Neobie! It was great seeing all those places again! Did you take a trip specifically to go to all these places, or was this a photo log covering many trips?

I had fun looking at my photos of Chile/Argentina for this season, maybe I'll share a few more eventually.

Beav: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate.

04-23-05, 05:52 PM (EST)
7. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
Well, this was really a cumulation of trips. The first one to Chiang Mai was in early 2003, just a week after the episode aired. The latest one was from last December, when I travelled to Malaysia with my classmates.

It's really fun trying to hunt down all these places. We should all try it some day!

clemsonbeav 4208 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-05, 06:37 PM (EST)
8. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
When I went to Spain 3 years ago, I tried to find some of the same places that the Mole went. Unfortunately, I wasn't too prepared and didn't go many places, but now that the DVD is out, I will definitely go back and find it all!

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-05, 07:29 PM (EST)
9. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
Loved the pics.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-05, 07:37 PM (EST)
10. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
Wow, Neobie. I'm impressed. Those are some pretty awesome pictures you got right there. Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Jims02: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate. Jims' Random Thoughts

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-05, 10:50 PM (EST)
11. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
Two things of note:

1) Your pictures are awesome... I'd been to Hong Kong about 12 years ago, and sadly, I don't remember it as well as I wish I did (we nearly got robbed in Guangzhou too!).

2) You're quite cute

Are you familiar with the old robot saying, 'DOES NOT COMPUTE'?

Lula 18 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-29-05, 07:23 PM (EST)
18. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
I loved the pictures and you are very cute.

dirob 92 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-25-05, 11:48 PM (EST)
12. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
i have pictures from the Philippines, Shanghai and India to cover the ones that got stolen along with your camera...but i'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures...argh...

04-26-05, 06:56 AM (EST)
13. "Photos from Shanghai"
I went to Shanghai in February just one week after TAR6 Shanghai episode aired. I took some pictures about the places they visited, here they are:

↑Remember when Hayden asked locals where YuYuan garden was in the midnight? This is the place where she asked this question. The three words in the center are in green flashlight at night. YuYuan garden is at the left side of this restaurant.

↑This is the YuYuan garden, the same entrance as shown in the show. I didn't buy ticket to go inside.

↑When they got the first clue, they ran along these streets to catch cabs. Actually YuYuan is located beside ChengHuang Temple and the whole area is decorated in the way as traditional Chinese buildings.

↑The Huaneng building. It is at the centre of this picture, quite far away from YuYuan. It is at the other side of the coast. No doubt they had difficulties going there since it is not a famous building, just a normal commercial building.

↑This is the monument of People's Republic of China, it is located at the side of the river and very near to the pit stop, peace hotel south.

↑This is the pit stop, peace hotel south, actually this photo is taken at the same spot as the monument of People's Republic of China, so these two places are really very close.

↑The entrance of the hotel

↑The background of the finish mat in the pit stop

↑I don't know if anyone remembers, I accidentally found the place where we can see the three lightboxes (Pizza Hut, Ganguoju and Yoshinoya) shown in the preview. It is not located at any places they visit. It is on the Nanjing Road.

04-26-05, 10:39 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Photos from Shanghai"
LAST EDITED ON 04-26-05 AT 10:40 AM (EST)

Bwahf! You found the neon restaurant signs!

Great photos! Hope I can see Shanghai soon, but it won't be long! (Planning to take the train up from HK.)

Edited to proclaim that I have now reached the Devil's level of reality commentating.

04-28-05, 00:18 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Photos from Shanghai"
You want to take a train from Hong Kong to Shanghai, why? I think it will take quite a long time for doing this.

Is it because you want to visit HK again? So maybe you could come after September when the Disneyland opens!

04-28-05, 08:39 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Photos from Shanghai"
Er... Heh. I live in Hong Kong. Taking the train, just doing it for the adventure.

Slowly veering off-topic. Would love to chat with you, PM me!

applejack93 288 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-28-05, 09:19 AM (EST)
17. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
Wow, this reminds me how much time TAR 6 spent blubbering about in Europe.

Mary and Peach came in 6th, yet they were already in Asia! In fact, in TAR 5 the final 5 teams all made it to New Zealand.

In the TAR6 only four teams actually made it into central Asia, with the 5th place team being eliminated in India. Talk about being ripped off! The first five teams to be eliminated saw two continents at best!

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings

04-29-05, 09:19 PM (EST)
19. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
Wonderful memories from these FANTASTIC pictures. Both Neobie and louislam gave us some great contributions here.

One of the great things about TAR is that it draws in people from around the world - just a much broader appeal than most of the stuff we see in the US. It's great to know both of you two just a little through your posts.

Well, any other pictures from around the world in other locations?

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-05, 01:02 AM (EST)
20. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
LAST EDITED ON 04-30-05 AT 01:02 AM (EST)

Wish we'd made it to some of the other areas in Hawaii that the Racers had gone to in the finale of TAR 6, but we just didn't have time, and my ILs aren't TAR fans. Yet.

From meeting that guy at the cemetery, however, it's obvious that others are doing just that.

06-22-05, 02:23 AM (EST)
21. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
LAST EDITED ON 06-22-05 AT 02:25 AM (EST)

Continuing my ill-fate with cameras (is that even a word?), most of the photos of my latest trip died along with the memory card that crashed and had to be reformatted. Did manage to save the photos that I developed though, so here's the Vietnam leg of TAR3!

Bac Ho Statue

Right in the middle of town, you won't miss it on a tour around the city.

Cai Be Floating Market - Easy Buy or Hard Sell

The floating market is a two-hour bus ride away from Ho Chi Minh City, and isn't as big as the episode made it look. Ran into another 'storm of the century' there, apparently it rains there every afternoon in the summer!

2A Ton Duc Thang - Cyclo Pick-Up Point

Lost the photo of the building, but you can see it here on the left. The numbering system is a little strange here; the Legend Hotel is also numbered 2A. Ton Duc Thang swerves west onto another street at its southern end, and it's on this other street that you can find the building.

Café Thu Thiem

Take the ferry near the northern end of Ton Duc Thang, it costs like 1 cent to get across. Locals will look at you crazy; no tourist ever goes over to the other side of the Saigon River. Sadly, I've to announce that the Pitstop for the Ho Chi Minh leg is no more. The bamboo structure is still there, but all the furnishings are gone, save a couple of tables. Turn right once you get off the ferry onto the only road in District 2, then walk for 5 minutes before there's a bend to the right towards the river. The Pitstop was sited just before the little bridge across Rach Cau Ong Cay.

Ga Saigon - Train Station

Another place where Flo whined, the train station is a little out of the way to the north of the city. The benches in the second terminal that Flo was sleeping on are actually used for queueing, so there must have been a crowd of unhappy Vietnamese waiting around for her to move her... behind. Most other train stations, Hanoi, Danang and Hué have the same basic design, and it's true that they play horribly loud music in the morning to wake everyone up!

Hien Lam Cac, Imperial City, Hué

The Hien Lam Pavilion is on your extreme left once you enter the Imperial City. Pretty hard to find if there's no one around to ask directions.

Nam O - Basket Boats or Basket Bikes

Sorry, pictures of Nam O were deleted. It's just a little north of Danang, and all trains and buses between Hué and Danang pass through the town. (This is not a distance for taking taxis!) It's quite a distance to paddle the basket boats; the river is really wide. If you don't see a basket bike on the roads, you can find one at the Museum of Ethnology in Hanoi.

Thu Bon River, Hoi An - Raising Fishing Nets

The river runs past the centre of the town, and you can still see many of the fishing nets hanging above the river. Bach Dang Wharf is halfway between the Japanese Covered Bridge and the Central Market.

China Beach - Pitstop

Beautiful beach with clear waters. A 20-minute cab right out of Danang will bring you here. On the opposite side of town is the Quang Minh Temple, the last clue in Vietnam. Not many taxi drivers know about it, but they will all try to fake you into getting into their cars; make sure they know where they're going.

That's it for now, hopefully we can cover the entire racecourse eventually!

universityofkentuckyrocks 2575 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

06-22-05, 01:06 PM (EST)
22. "RE: TAR Pilgrimage"
These are cool pictures.

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

06-30-05, 12:29 PM (EST)
23. "Thank you so much!"
These pictures are great and I had missed the first batch you posted before. Very cool!!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •