The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"When did the Penalty Change?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Cleveland Guy 153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-11-05, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"When did the Penalty Change?"
I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll go for here.

I was re-reading about TAR Classic today getting ready for tonights episode (It's better than doing actual work).

Anyways, I was reading that Momily got hit witha 24 hour penalty for not doing a detour.

In this most recent season Romber (and others), get assessed a 4 hour penalty for not completing a detour.

In like season 3 or 4 - HEAVE got 30 minutes for taking a cab instead of walking.

So how do they determine the amount of the penalty? And why has it changed so much over time?

In each case the penalty was for the same, or at least similiar thing - not completing the task at hand properly.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: When did the Penalty Change? TeamJoisey 07-11-05 1
 RE: When did the Penalty Change? BrassFan 07-11-05 2
 RE: When did the Penalty Change? Neobie 07-12-05 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

07-11-05, 12:46 PM (EST)
1. "RE: When did the Penalty Change?"
I think it evolved.

The 24-hour penalty in the first season was far too harsh, and resulted in an automatic expulsion.

After Heave's 30-minute slap on the wrist, I think producers realized that there woulld be an advantage to "misreading" the directions in some cases, or just failing to complete a task on purpose, ala Rawb.

I believe the four-hour penalty was new 2 seasons ago, and probably calculated to entice racers to skip elements if they thought they had enough cushion. It certainly provided more drama.

We don't really have a list of all the arcane rules, so they may still be various penalties for differing infractions. Heave's stupidity is probably not worth the same penalty as Rawb's calculated defiance of the task.

The strange thing about Momily's penalty is Team Guido's mid-race vacation.

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

BrassFan 326 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

07-11-05, 05:56 PM (EST)
2. "RE: When did the Penalty Change?"
I think the 30 minute penalty is a punitive issue for a minor rule infraction... i.e. taking a cab instead of walking, or taking someone else's car, etc....

The 4 hour penalty is the penalty for not completing a task....

Neobie 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

07-12-05, 03:38 AM (EST)
3. "RE: When did the Penalty Change?"
On the recent 'Emmy Night with TAR', the contestants stated that the rules haven't changed since TAR1, with regard to most of the penalties.

The 24 hour that Nancy/Emily got, that was for skipping a Detour. 4 hours is for skipping a Roadblock. The reason could be that in a Detour, you can choose to change to the other task if you cannot complete the one you've chosen, and you're not limited to a single person.

The 30-minute rule seems to be imposed on mostly travel issues (taking a taxi, driving instead of walking. 30-penalty, in addition to the time you've gained. It was imposed on Reichen and Chip too in Mooloolaba, Australia (TAR4).

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •