The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

kidflash212 5051 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-13-04, 10:49 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
In Tuesday's show it seemed that during the "Mandatory Rest Period" Brandon and Nicole were out begging for cash. The Moms and the Twins both seemed to wait until the next leg started. Wasn't that breaking the rules or something? It allowed them to start the leg without the penalty for coming in last on a non-elimination round. I thought the rest period was just for that - resting.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... Draco Malfoy 09-13-04 1
   RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... kidflash212 09-13-04 2
       RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... Dizwiz 09-13-04 5
 RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... Ontario TAR Fan 09-13-04 3
   RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... Draco Malfoy 09-13-04 4
       RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... mikey 09-13-04 6
           RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... kidflash212 09-13-04 8
 Long story short realitybites 09-13-04 7
 RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... 712 09-15-04 9
 RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... buscemi 09-15-04 10
   RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... Ontario TAR Fan 09-15-04 11
       RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... buscemi 09-15-04 12
           RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... kidflash212 09-15-04 13
               RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... buscemi 09-15-04 14
                   RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... Spider 09-15-04 15
                       RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest ... kidflash212 09-16-04 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

09-13-04, 10:59 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
Obviously it's not against the rules, or they would have received some sort of penalty. Maybe this was a 36 hour pit stop, so they actually had time to beg during the rest, unlike the twins and moms?

09-13-04, 11:04 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
It just they call it a MANDATORY rest stop. It seems to me that it goes against the spirit of the competition if teams use the time to help themselves on the next leg of the race. Obviously the producers felt it was okay and part of it is I thoroughly despise Brandon and Nicole and wish they were out but it felt like cheating to me.

Dizwiz 2699 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

09-13-04, 12:25 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
You could argue that they were at a disadvantage, having to use some of their "rest" time to beg for cash. I don't really buy that arguement, of course.

Diz

Ontario TAR Fan 133 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-13-04, 11:43 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
I thought the same thing. Aren't they supposed to eat, sleep, and mingle with other teams?

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

09-13-04, 11:49 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
I guess once you've done all that, what you do with the rest of the time is up to you.

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-13-04, 01:48 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
Interesting thought, they should have them empty their pockets as they leave rather than as they arrive to avoid that issue.

But others have used the manndatory rest period to advantage. The Moms apprarently absonded with some fruit provided during the mandatory rest period to then sell the next day, which seems like almost the same thing.

In other editions -- Blake and Paige used one rest period toward the end of their race to map out all the major destinations in the area, A number of teams have called for cabs during the rest period to have them waiting when they left. I am sure many teams look for how to get to the nearest airport. There is probably some value in preparation during the rests, but you really need time to sleep if you are going to be sharp the next day (see Millie and Chuck's sleep-deprived breakdown in TAR4 (or was it a sex-deprived breakdown -- either way the rest period could have been put to better use)).

09-13-04, 04:41 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
I don't think the moms taking the fruit to sell is all that similar - they still had to take the time to sell the fruit once the leg started, costing them time - Brandon and Nicole basically weren't penalized at all. And since teams don't know where they are going from the pit stop, getting info on local attractions and routes to airports are not likely to have a big effect on the race. Brandon and Nicole starting their leg early (which is the way I see it)just negated the penalty. I really expected when they stepped on the mat Phil was going to tell them they had a thirty minute penalty. Doubt it would have mattered much - the twins seemed pretty far behind, it was dark by the time they got to the pit stop but it would have seemed more fair.

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-13-04, 03:13 PM (EST)
7. "Long story short"
I made a post about this subject in a post in the Bashers section. I agree with your point, but I don't think it was against the rules.

"This is realitybites and I approved this post."

712 356 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-15-04, 09:58 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
Keep in mind, also, that the moms and the twins found themselves in the middle of the desert (at night for the moms) when they had to empty their pockets, as B/N were clearly located in some kind of bustling hotel. How much begging can you do in the desert?

buscemi 414 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

09-15-04, 10:04 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
I agree with this post. I'm sure that it's not against the rules, but I think it should be. Basically, this 'penalizing the last place team' deal this season has been a bust. All of the teams have been able to scrounge up some money pretty quickly (or during the rest period), and none have been eliminated in the next leg.

Ontario TAR Fan 133 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-04, 11:18 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
Agreed. The last place penalty has not been that much of a punishment so far. Phil, in his speech last night,

The cynic in me says that the people that donated the money were hired by the producers to do so! They would not manipulate us like that would they?

Given that in order to have 11-12 teams, three in the last leg, and 12-13 episodes, there needs to be non-elimination legs, what would be a better better punishment?

You could have 15 teams and no non elims at all - is this too many teams for the first few episodes? The individual teams may get so little airtime in a one hour slot that nobody know who they are.

You could give them a 2 hour time penalty - that would evaporate at the next bunching point.

Any other ideas?

09-15-04, 11:25 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
I think it might be good to add a time penalty to their finishing time the next leg, thus avoding bunching equalization. Maybe this could be about 15-30 minutes. Thus, if Team A (who was last on the previous leg) finished this leg at 5:30 P.M. and Team B finished at 5:48 P.M. Team A could lose if the penalty were 20 minutes.

09-15-04, 11:53 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
On last nights episode Phil clearly told Colin and Christie that the have to START the net leg with no money. Same thing he told the other teams. Brandon and Nicole were cheating because they had money when the leg started (the opening of the envelope being the starting point).

09-15-04, 12:24 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
I think by saying that a team must start the next leg with no money," Phil meant that the team would be given no $$ at the start of the next leg, not that they couldn't accrue $$ during the rest period.

Spider 164 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-04, 09:58 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
I do not think it is cheating if a team can use the time to get some money.

Why?

The rest time is only 12 hours and teams need to at bare minimum eat and sleep for the next days race. Considering all the flyingn and moving around they do, teams using the time to get money ane not sleeping seems a fair penalty.

They are also last. And there is no way that the producers would have let Brandon and Nicole get money during the rest epriod if was 'against the rules.' Smart thinking on their behalf. I also think the producers did not think of it before bcasue the bowling moms had not done it.Guarantee Colin and Christie will be doing it.

09-16-04, 12:34 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Question about "Mandatory Rest Period""
Actually the rest period where B&N cheated was 36 hours - so they had plenty of time to eat and sleep. They basically got away with no real penalty at all. Why have the penalty at all if they can use the rest period to get money and start the next leg like nothing happened? And I for one do not enjoying watching the teams beg - its not good television for me. Make it a time penalty or maybe an extra task they have to perform.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •