The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Money issues"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Cole 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-02-01, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Money issues"
Well, we saw the Guidos have problems with money last episode. They were stuck on the bus instead of a cab because they had blown all of their money. Why isn't money more of an issue in the game? I agree that it shouldn't control it completely, but it should definitely affect team's choices, as in the Guido bus/cab thing. (Who else cheered when Kevin and Drew zipped by them?) The Guidos ended up missing the train because of their money problems, hopefully they will continue to have more!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Money issues redtabby 11-02-01 1
 RE: Money issues AmazingFan 11-02-01 2
   RE: Money issues Loree 11-02-01 3
       RE: Money issues supershirll 11-02-01 4
           RE: Money issues dekko 11-02-01 5
 RE: Money issues Stairway2Dayton 11-03-01 6
 RE: Money issues AddieRacer 11-03-01 7
   RE: Money issues Styxfan 11-06-01 14
       The Lawyers KelvinKing 11-07-01 15
 RE: Money issues PagongRatEater 11-05-01 8
   RE: Money issues Cole 11-05-01 9
       RE: Money issues AuntieMame 11-06-01 10
           RE: Money issues Cole 11-06-01 11
               RE: Money issues Styxfan 11-06-01 12
                   RE: Money issues MsCurlGurl7 11-06-01 13
                       RE: Money issues Cole 11-07-01 16
                           RE: Money issues ykchan 11-07-01 17
                           RE: Money issues RaceGirl 11-07-01 19
 RE: Money issues AddieRacer 11-07-01 18
   RE: Money issues xrunner 11-07-01 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

redtabby 9 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-02-01, 04:29 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Money issues"
The Guidos have been spending their money a little more freely than the others - hotels when the other teams were sleeping outside stops, respites in cafes in Paris, etc. When the envelopes were handed out in that last episode, there was no money in it. I suspect that all the teams assumed they would get money at each starting point, enough to cover that episode's needs. It may become more of an issue in the future, but now the teams are aware that the purse may not be replenished each time.
In the past, we haven't seen anyone run out of money, but we have seen heated discussions about the cost of something, especially taxi rides.

AmazingFan 121 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-02-01, 06:57 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Money issues"
I am very unclear on the whole money thing, but I missed some of the earlier episodes so maybe it was explained at some point. I don't know how they budget with what they have when they have no idea what is next. Some of the teams seem to jump into taxis for long trips which must cost a lot of money and they still seem to have money left for other things...very confusing. We haven't seen anyone get stranded, and the Guidos, after running out of money so they had to take the bus, still had enough to: buy train tickets, and take a taxi to the temple and back to the hotel. Sometimes I wonder about how things like that work. And presumably the camera people with them have to be factored into every move. Perhaps once the show is over we'll finally get some explanations!

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-02-01, 08:55 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Money issues"
They have said that the price of the plane tickets is taken care of by the show. The teams just have to arrange the tickets. They don't have to actually pay for them. But they do have to pay for their other transportation like taxis, buses and trains. That is why they are always telling us one way is cheaper but the other way is faster. And the money did come into play with the grandparents when they couldn't make the exchange on their money. So they do have to be careful. Obviously the Guidos are more extravagant than the other players.

supershirll 91 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-02-01, 10:19 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Money issues"
There have been times in the show when the contestants "must" take a train. I am wondering if the productions crew pays for these travel expenses, because the Guidos seemed so low on funds and then suddenly had enough for the train.

dekko 54 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-01, 11:34 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Money issues"
I've also noticed that the Guidos have been specifically shown asking for "first class" train tickets on a couple of occasions.. This might not make much of a difference at first, but if money gets to be important, this could cost 'em.

Then again, wasn't Momily asking for first class tickets this past episode? I'd love to see money issues strand someone completely for a while, and it's just possible that that's the twist that happens next episode, as they seem to be mentioning the money aspect quite a bit this past week.

Stairway2Dayton 104 desperate attention whore postings

11-03-01, 04:45 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Money issues"
I had originally thought that they had to turn in their money at the end of each leg and start the next leg only with what money they had been given. Obviously this is not true and they can save up money from one leg to the next. Are they always given US dollars? I know we've seen the teams with other currency, but I'm not sure if it was from a race envelope.

S2D

AddieRacer 160 desperate attention whore postings

11-03-01, 08:39 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Money issues"
A few weeks ago, PagongRatEater started a thread on "What's Wrong With This Show?" Money was a big issue. Spending of money is obviously an important part of this show. I think it would be way more interesting (and clarifying!) to let us in on more of the money details. Way more interesting then quasi-chase scenes. Who cares if Momily's cab driver was honking the horn! I'm more curious whether or not F&M had to pay for their pool chair. Did Kevin (or Drew) win money playing poker?

Styxfan 64 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-01, 09:07 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Money issues"
I believe the money issue has come into play three times if I am not mistaken. The first one was with the Grandparents, then the one we saw last week with the Guidos. And I'm pretty sure there was another one somewhere, but I can't recall the specifics.

KelvinKing 64 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-01, 06:56 AM (EST)
15. "The Lawyers"
They didn't tip the NY Cabby in Ep 1

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-05-01, 10:55 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Money issues"
Amen to that! We definitely need some kind of scorecard showing what teams are spending and how much they have left. You never know what kind of huge advantage a team might have going into the final round with a lot of cash on hand. There are definitely advantages in this game for how you manage your money - they should make it a production aspect as well. I think that it would definitely add to the show!

Also, very curious to know, when they DO recieve money is it local currency. It seems that it probably is since the "exchange" issue has only come into play once. You have to assume that Team OP still had some American money left and were trying to spend it, but that is another gamesmanship aspect of the game that is not addressed

11-05-01, 11:41 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Money issues"
Not sure about whether the money is local or American. There was the one episode where some team opened the envelope and I think it was American (2 20s and a 10) and said, "only $50, not good". But I definitely saw Rob paying a cab driver with local money. In any event, if they are getting U.S. money, it'd be nice to know that, but it wouldn't be particularly interesting to watch them go into a currency exchange, maybe that's why we don't see it. I'd love to see a scorecard as well for money and time issues, but someone somewhere said if it was too much a focus on money, it'd turn into that show Lost (which I never saw) with them begging for money.

AuntieMame 16 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-06-01, 11:31 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Money issues"
I think a lot of stuff is edited out, which can make the technical details hard to follow. For example, if they are not given money in the local currency - we never see anyone going to exchange it anywhere - how and when do they do this? If they had to stand in line to do exchanges, they would be losing time. In some episodes they are in more than one country which means they would HAVE to exchange what they are given. Perhaps as the field is narrowed the producers will explain the day to day details in more depth.<p>The money business fascinates me. Actually all the little details they have to face when travelling interest me.

11-06-01, 12:23 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Money issues"
Mame, I agree that I'd like to see some of the more day-to-day issues. I don't think it'd be interesting to see them convert money, but other issues would be nice. Like when do they eat? What do they eat? To see how some of the teams react to the local food would be at times funny, especially Kevin and Drew. Are they doing laundry? When? How? I can't imagine that anyone would pack 30 pairs of underwear, or however long this lasted. What do they do in their spare time?

I'd also like to see the teams interact more with each other at the pit stops. We have seen brief snippets of this, but only to show that the Guidos don't sit with the other teams. I'd like to hear what they are talking about, to get more of a feel for them as people. For example, just from watching the show you would have no idea that Rob went to Harvard Law school, he looks and sometimes sounds like a meathead. Brennan is supposed to be very religious, we haven't seen any of that. Paul is a personal trainer? For someone who needs to be very motivational, he sure gave up often.

Styxfan 64 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-01, 03:06 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Money issues"
The reason they don't show all the little details like eating, going to the restoom(who would want to see that anyway?)
is because it has effect on the outcome of the race. I do admit it would be interesting to see that stuff though, especially the money issues and eating. It helps the viewer get a better idea of what they really had to go through.

MsCurlGurl7 22 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-06-01, 07:21 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Money issues"
They might not have ot change the currency every pit stop, simply because foreign locations do take the american dollar for some basic things. I was in Jamaica 2 eyars ago, and they value the American dollar more than the jamaican dollar.. Im sure this must not be the case in some places, but maybe it works liek that. And don't you all rememeber the episode with Gramps, I think they were in Tatouine, and they had to go exchange their cash? It goes to show you that all the contestants have to go through everything equally anyways , if come across a problem

MsCurlGurl7

11-07-01, 10:47 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Money issues"
American money is widely accepted only in areas frequented heavily by American tourists... this includes much of the Caribbean as the local islanders are very used to people getting off cruise ships for only a few hours at a time. Whether they accept American money out of convenience for Americans or because they think it is more valuable, I dunno. In places like India that are not as frequented by Americans, especially in places like that second city, I highly doubt locals would be as ready to accept American dollars - they have to go through the hassle of exchanging them and then there's the fee to boot. Even in modern and civilized cities like Hong Kong, no one takes American money.

Definitely in Tunisia they had to change money, but I think that may be part of the point - why did it seem like Gramps were the only ones that had problems? Maybe they forgot to exchange money... what I guess I'm trying to say that it wouldn't hurt to have a "there's a currency exchange, we gotta get some cash" comment, even if we don't see it, just to let us know that teams are thinking about it. The grandparents certainly did not. Did they forget to change, or did they use up all their local money, etc.? Many unanswered questions. If I were on this show, the money changing and other issues would cause a lot of stress for me. I would have expected to see a lot more of the teams fretting about getting ripped off on the rate, or losing money in the conversion fees, or taking out too much or too little, etc.

I've also been wondering about the trains as well. The Guidos had very little money left but yet got enough for the train. Maybe the train tickets are included as well? Oh, I think the Guidos and Momily may have asked for "first class" because it was an overnight train and they wanted a sleeping car. The three earlier teams apparently sat in coach like everyone else.

ykchan 58 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-01, 11:30 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Money issues"
On their appearance during the Early Show (? I think ?), the Grandparents said they tried to exchange money twice (once on the boat), but were unsuccessful.

Side note: When I was in Moscow in '90, some merchants did accept American dollars, but wouldn't go by the exchange rate and hence, tried to rip you off.

RaceGirl 50 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-01, 04:38 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Money issues"
>I'm trying to say
>that it wouldn't hurt to
>have a "there's a currency
>exchange, we gotta get some
>cash" comment, even if we
>don't see it, just to
>let us know that teams
>are thinking about it.

>the money changing
>and other issues would cause
>a lot of stress for
>me.

Me, too. How much to convert, etc.? I would like to have been privy to a lot more of the teams planning for the next day--we know that they planned because some teams would call ahead for taxis, etc. The money, I'm sure fits into their equations.

>think the Guidos and Momily
>may have asked for "first
>class" because it was an
>overnight train and they wanted
>a sleeping car. The
>three earlier teams apparently sat
>in coach like everyone else.
>

They had to have 'first class' for that train--remember the footage of the crowded coach class train--people standing, squeezing in--others being beaten back from the tracks. 'First class' ensured they would be away from the masses. The earlier train seemed much less crowded. Also it was an overnight ride so sleeping would be essential.

AddieRacer 160 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-01, 01:02 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Money issues"
They could probably fill the entire hour with money issues. And it's frustrating (I'm repeating myself!) that so little time is spent on it. As just stated above, the Gramps tried to change money but couldn't. Why weren't the others in the same situation? It seems that skill in knowing the local currancy, knowing where to exchange, knowing the exchange rate, knowing tipping customs, etc. etc. is important. And we don't get a feel for how the various teams are doing in this respect.

These issues are definitely affecting the outcome of the game. They are showing each couple arguing about so many things - and you know they are also arguing about money. We've seen very little of that. This show could be sooo much more interesting in so many ways.

xrunner 65 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-01, 05:54 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Money issues"
Actually the host specificallysaid that they got money at every stopover so not getting money is a chane in the rules.

Yhe way Paul saved money durng the show he probably could set a bank while he was there.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •