The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Nina Poersch's Cochlear Implant Info"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Sheldor 4640 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

02-18-15, 02:44 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Nina Poersch's Cochlear Implant Info"
How a Cochlear Implant works

Nina wearing her Cochlear Implant Speech Processors

From Nina's pre-season interview with Gordon Holmes

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2015/02/16/survivor-no-collar-nina-sometimes-you-have-to-destroy-relationships-to-win/

Holmes: You’re hearing impaired.

Poersch: I’m deaf. I have a Cochlear Implant, so I wear these little things on my ears and they’re speech processors. They have little microphones. Your sound goes in the microphone, travels up this cord, the magnet attaches to my head that communicates with the computer chip that’s inside my head. And there’s an electrode that goes into your cochlea and that’s what shoots off all of the…I don’t know what they’re called…

Holmes: You were doing an awesome job up until there.

Poersch: (Laughs) Well, it shoots off all of that stuff so I can hear.

Holmes: That’s amazing. I read your bio last night. I knew there was a deaf person in this cast. I picked you up at the holding tent. We talked the whole way over here. And just now I’m realizing you’re the player with the Cochlear Implant. How long have you been deaf?

Poersch: I didn’t lose my hearing until seven years ago. That’s why my speech is fine. I was only deaf for six months before I got the implant.

Holmes: And what made you lose your hearing?

Poersch: They really don’t know. They call it unexplainable hearing loss. Nobody in my family has lost their hearing. I personally think it was from taking too many over-the-counter pain meds. There was a study that came out that said prolonged use of over-the-counter pain meds in your twenties, by the time you’re in your forties you have a 90-something-percent chance of losing your hearing. And that was me, I had rebound headaches, which no doctor ever told me that‘s what it was. But I was taking over-the-counter pain meds at least five days a week and more than two a day. So, when I run across young people, I try to educate them. Because losing your hearing is not something you want to go through.

Holmes: Can you take the Cochlear Implant into the game?

Poersch: Yes. I talked to the doctor that’s going to be seeing us before the challenges. And we’ve worked out a thing for me in case I have water challenges or anything like that. These are running off of disposable batteries, and then I have a little container that takes the moisture out of my processor at night. I take them off at night and stick them in there. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to play.

Holmes: There was a deaf contestant in “Amazon.”

Poersch: I can’t read lips. So, the only way I can understand people is to hear them.

Holmes: Are you going to let your tribemates know?

Poersch: Yes, I have to. It’s so hot I’m going to have to wear my hair in a ponytail. They’re going to see this. Before challenges, they just came up with this rubber sleeve, so it can be submerged completely in the water. So, I have to put that on. And really, it’s just too hard to hide so I might as well tell them.

Holmes: Are there any issues when many people talk at the same time?

Poersch: Yes, it’s difficult for me to hear.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Nina Poersch's Cochlear Implant... suzzee 02-18-15 1

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

suzzee 5961 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-18-15, 11:59 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Nina Poersch's Cochlear Implant Info"
Pretty amazing science behind the implant. Thanks for the info Sheldor.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •