The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Fresh Article re the Closure of the Betting Sight (the bestest Sandra spoiler I personally chose to ignore)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-15-03, 04:51 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Fresh Article re the Closure of the Betting Sight (the bestest Sandra spoiler I personally chose to ignore)"

A bug in ``Survivor''? Bets placed on Sandra Diaz-Twine months in advance

DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer Monday, December 15, 2003
--------------

(12-15) 11:08 PST NEW YORK (AP) --

"Survivor" may have a security problem.

Before the first episode was even televised this season, more than 15 people from the Vancouver, British Columbia area placed bets with an offshore bookie on contestant Sandra Diaz-Twine.

On Sunday night, Diaz-Twine was revealed as the winner during the show's season finale on CBS.

Suspicious that people were trying to profit from inside information, the Antigua-based bookmaker, BetWWTS.com, shut down "Survivor" betting back September. The company still paid out $40,000 on Monday -- from less than $5,000 in wagers -- to people who had gotten their bets in before it was stopped, said Simon Noble, the company's CEO.

Noble's company may now join other offshore bookmakers that he said shun "Survivor" because of fears of insider betting.

"It's either one of two things," Noble said. "It's either an insider from CBS or a friend or neighbor of Sandra's. I would lean toward the former because it seems to be a regular pattern with `Survivor."'

Vancouver is several hours away from Fort Lewis, Wash., where Diaz-Twine lives, so Noble believes that also makes it unlikely that the bettors knew her.

Diaz-Twine, who knew for months that she was one of the final two contestants but found out Sunday that she had won the $1 million prize, said she didn't spill the beans. She knew that if she had, she would have forfeited a prize (the second-place finisher wins $100,000).

"I wanted the money, whatever little bit I was getting," she said. "I didn't want to screw that up. I suffered too much out there. I lost 22 pounds."

Diaz-Twine said friends approached her this fall after the bookmakers' story had circulated, wondering if they should bet on her. She told them that rumors had also been spreading about two other potential winners.

"I said to them, `If I were you, I wouldn't put the money down on me."'

A CBS spokesman, Chris Ender, would not comment Monday on any specific security steps the network or the show's executive producer, Mark Burnett, had taken.

"We take security very seriously on `Survivor,"' Ender said. "But, obviously, you're never going to ensure that something is not leak-proof. I think Mr. Burnett has done a great job changing the game, teasing the viewers and making the chase aspect so confusing that the viewers never know which information is true out there."

The knowledge that Diaz-Twine had attracted unusual wagering attention didn't seem to have much effect on the popularity of "Survivor." It is consistently one of prime-time TV's most popular shows and drew an estimated 25.4 million viewers for Sunday's finale, according to Neilsen Media Research.

The Pearl Island finale, the seventh edition of the game, drew the most viewers of any "Survivor" since the fourth game ended in May 2002, CBS said.

So many theories are floated about winners to each game that viewers don't know what to believe.

During the first "Survivor," many fans believed Gervase Peterson would win because a CBS technician failed to quickly place an "x" over his picture on the "Survivor" web site, Ender recalled. The theory spread wildly across the Internet, then was torpedoed when Peterson was voted off the island a few weeks later.

Ender said CBS learned during that first game to give the same non-answer whenever confronted by someone who claims to know the show's winner in advance: "We won't confirm or deny any speculation and we will allow the media to run inaccurate information."

Many fans also want to keep the element of suspense so they pay no attention to such stories, said Noble, the bookie.

"I wish it would have surprised me," he said. "I wish it had been a different result."

Hope not duplicative post.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •