The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"All Votes Shown Last night"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

dewcew 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-21-03, 09:44 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"All Votes Shown Last night"
Hi,

I have been lurking on this board for the past three years and finally decided to post. Does anyone know why they revealed all the votes last night for Rupert? If I recall, the vote total was

Rupert - 4
Jon - 1
Darrah - 2

Even if Darrah received another vote, then Rupert would have been voted out. In the past, once someone reaches a majority of votes, they keep the rest of the votes hidden. Did they do this to reveal the alliance of 5?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: All Votes Shown Last night esquire 11-21-03 1
 RE: All Votes Shown Last night bpg_wpc 11-21-03 2
   RE: All Votes Shown Last night Brownroach 11-21-03 4
       RE: All Votes Shown Last night dewcew 11-21-03 6
           RE: All Votes Shown Last night Brownroach 11-21-03 9
               RE: All Votes Shown Last night okaloosajohn 11-21-03 10
   RE: All Votes Shown Last night dewcew 11-21-03 5
 What is Sandra's strategy... blacknwhitedog 11-21-03 3
   RE: What is Sandra's strategy... okaloosajohn 11-21-03 7
       RE: What is Sandra's strategy... GoddessMM 11-21-03 11
 RE: All Votes Shown Last night Ra_8secs 11-21-03 8
 RE: All Votes Shown Last night KeithFan 11-21-03 12
   RE: All Votes Shown Last night esquire 11-22-03 15
       RE: All Votes Shown Last night KeithFan 11-22-03 20
           RE: All Votes Shown Last night esquire 11-22-03 22
               RE: All Votes Shown Last night KeithFan 11-22-03 23
 RE: All Votes Shown Last night FFantasyFX 11-21-03 13
   RE: All Votes Shown Last night I_AM_HE 11-21-03 14
       RE: All Votes Shown Last night AMAZON 11-22-03 16
       I know most people would prefer to ... phonarr 11-22-03 17
           Sandra.. Maebe 11-22-03 18
 RE: All Votes Shown Last night miracle1969mets 11-22-03 19
   RE: All Votes Shown Last night KObrien_fan 11-22-03 21
       congrats KO tribephyl 11-23-03 24
 RE: All Votes Shown Last night jasonx 11-23-03 25
   RE: All Votes Shown Last night PepeLePew13 11-24-03 26
       Not to mention... udg 11-24-03 27

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

esquire 1095 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

11-21-03, 10:02 AM (EST)
1. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
I was wondering the same thing when I watched the show. However, I wonder if JP just doesn't understand math and was caught by surprise by Sandra's vote for Jon. The producers went into the show figuring it was going to be a 2-man contest and the person who got 5 votes would lose. JP was probably told that before hand. 5 votes loses. Then Sandra's vote through it all off

bpg_wpc 8 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-03, 10:08 AM (EST)
2. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
Weren't there 8 people at TC?

Rupert got 5 votes total. JB only revealed 4, which he had to in order to make it conclusive.

Before the final announced vote, it was:

Jon-1
Darrah-2
Rupert-3

With two votes left, it could have gone to either: darrah out, rupert out, or a jon-rupert tie.

I did think however that JP showed a very meanspirited side in reading darrah's 2 in a row first, thereby making the shock to rupert all that much greater. Usually he alternates between one and another except when he wants people to squirm (like when he saved them all up for Jon to wipe the smirk off his face a few TCs ago).

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-21-03, 10:22 AM (EST)
4. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
No, he showed all 5 votes for Rupert. I tbought it was odd because after Rupert got 4 votes it was obvious no else could surpass him but Jeffy read the last vote anyway.

My take is that the purpose was to influence Rupert's opinion when it comes time to vote for F2, since Rupert takes every vote against him personally. He now knows that FIVE people voted him out, and he knows who they are.

But it seemed unfair if Jeffy's not going to show all the votes every time.

11-21-03, 10:25 AM (EST)
6. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
I agree BR that the move of reading all the votes was unusual. I remember at a previous tribal council, Jeff stated explicitly (I don't remember the exact tribal council) "That is enough votes and there is no reason to reveal the rest". Maybe now that the jury is being formed, he will reveal all the votes so people on the jury know where they stand with the final two.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-03, 10:59 AM (EST)
9. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
Yes, but he already didn't reveal all of Ryno's votes. If it's going to be arbitrary it's sort of unfair.

I bet he doesn't do it for anyone else (except maybe Jon -- he'd probably want to read every last vote that gets Jon out, LOL.)

okaloosajohn 1259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

11-21-03, 11:15 AM (EST)
10. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
Of course there is always the chance that that would be only 1.

Okaloosajohn

5. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
>Weren't there 8 people at TC?

Yes. A total of 8 possible votes

>Rupert got 5 votes total. JB
>only revealed 4, which he
>had to in order to
>make it conclusive.

Exactly my point. After Rupert received 4 votes, the 5th vote didn't matter. Even if Darrah got a 3rd vote, Rupert still would have been voted out.

>Before the final announced vote, it
>was:
>
>Jon-1
>Darrah-2
>Rupert-3

>With two votes left, it could
>have gone to either: darrah
>out, rupert out, or a
>jon-rupert tie.

He only had to reveal one of those last two votes. Once the fourth vote was revealed against Rupert, the last vote was meaningless.

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

3. "What is Sandra's strategy..."
...of casting her vote for Jon- other than she really hates him?

I would have thought Sandra, Christa and Rupert would have voted for Darrah. Burton, Jon, T and Darrah were going to vote for Rupert. If Lil voted for Darrah they vote would hav been tied 4-4. Did Sandra know Lil was going to vote for Rupert? Therefore her vote wouldn't have mattered- which is what happened.

Jon now has had 6 votes against him, more than anyone else left.

okaloosajohn 1259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

11-21-03, 10:29 AM (EST)
7. "RE: What is Sandra's strategy..."
As hard as it may be to believe, I think Sandra really did think that Burton, Lil and Jon were going to vote for Darrah and so her vote for Jon wouldn't make any difference.

--Okaloosajohn

GoddessMM 5 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-03, 05:41 PM (EST)
11. "RE: What is Sandra's strategy..."
I think Sandra has more of a strategy than has been edited into the show. I think she voted for Jon to ensure that Rupert left. Rupert had explained to her that there was a strong possibility that it would end up a 4-4 tie between him and Darrah (if Lil voted with S/C/R). So why on earth would Sandra risk that chance and vote for Jon, except to ensure that B/J/D/T could get rid of Rupert if they tried. I mean she heard Jon & Burton whispering in the woods she must have been on to them.

Ra_8secs 1081 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-03, 10:53 AM (EST)
8. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
MB always show who voted for whom over the final confessional of the bootee. But the Survivors do not necessarily know who voted for whom or the complete voting outcome once a majority has been reached. They either already know from their collusions and expectations befores, or from the "sigpics", handwriting, and styles some folks use when they write the names down.

Two points to make about Jeffy's vote-reading process, though:

First, MB (or his assistant producers) examine the votes and decide in which order to pull them from the urn for the most dramatic effect. I'd bet they line them up in the urn so Jeffy just has to pull them from front to back, or a similar direction. Jeffy has no input in this -- he's the on-screen MC.

Second, This is the first time ever that Jeffy went past the majority point for a bootee. Was it malicious, a mistake, or what? Maybe it was to show Christa and Sandra that Lill voted against Rupert, so they don't assume Lill's still with them and
can strategize something to keep from being Pagonged. (I like the idea of sabotaging the camp, heehee. Heck, "if those five are gonna pick us two off, let's throw all the cooking pots and machetes and axes over the cliff into the ocean. )

-- Ra, Spinning in geo/helio eccentric orbit
-- Ra, as fast as light

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-03, 09:27 PM (EST)
12. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
Maybe conspiracy, maybe something simple.

A simple explanation: JP knows there are 8 left, so a majority would be 5. The Sandra vote for Jon throws him and he forgets that it will only take 4 now. So, while he is doing his "Survivor Calculus" he just goes past 4 onto 5, and being the good producers they are, they let us see the slip up.

11-22-03, 00:27 AM (EST)
15. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
Wow!!! What a brilliant observation. I wish I would have thought of that.

Oh, I did about 10 posts ago

11-22-03, 07:46 PM (EST)
20. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
LAST EDITED ON 11-23-03 AT 01:45 AM (EST)

You may have full credit and I opologize about the copyright. And as a relative newbee I will forgive the rudeness.

11-22-03, 10:47 PM (EST)
22. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
I apologize for my crankiness. Although, I had a long day yesterday, my comment was overly snide and unneccessarily rude.

11-22-03, 11:31 PM (EST)
23. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"

Arr, I'm cool with that too matey...I should read posts better too.

FFantasyFX 1028 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-03, 10:55 PM (EST)
13. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
While JP usually does not reveal the remaining votes once a person has accrued enough votes to be voted out, that isn't always the case. I hate saying this without backing it up with evidence, but this has happened before. It's rare, but this isn't the first time this blunder has occurred. It's just further evidence of Mark Burnett manipulating the game. I'm racking my brain trying to remember the other instances, but they're not coming to me. Hopefully someone can bail me out here, but I really do remember a circumstance or two similar to this one.

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

11-21-03, 11:06 PM (EST)
14. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
you're right, it has happened a time or three before, but i likewise can't think of one off the top of my head. i am pretty sure there was one instance in amazon though (or maybe marquesas, the last series i watched before S6, because i didn't get to see thailand). there have also been instances of jiffy hiding a dissenting vote, which i have more of an issue with

AMAZON 98 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-22-03, 01:35 AM (EST)
16. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
the most famous case of showing extra votes was in Palau Tiga when the Tagi alliance was exposed after all four Gretchen votes were read.

phonarr 29 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-22-03, 03:37 AM (EST)
17. "I know most people would prefer to forget"
S3, but remember when Silas got voted out straight after the twist/thrown immunity challenge. JP read five 'Silas' votes in a row without revealing who Silas voted for (Frank: back when previous votes counted).

Maebe 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-22-03, 04:53 AM (EST)
18. "Sandra.."
may have just figured that since most are voting for Dar, that she will make herself look good and not vote for her. Hoping to get some respect from at least one person on the jury. /shrug

miracle1969mets 183 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-22-03, 05:27 PM (EST)
19. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
Yeah. I noticed that too. I remember it happened for Boston Rob in Survivor Marquesas and Gretchen in Survivor 1, at least. I don't know what the reason for reading them all is. It doesn't add any more drama to the vote. Though I think Darrah or Ti's vote for Rupert, and not Jon's, should have been the one revealed to us

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

11-22-03, 09:55 PM (EST)
21. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
Though it has happened before on other seasons, I'm not sure it was ever brought up by a player to have helped or hindered the game. In this case, it could show Rupert who is now on the jury, exactly who voted what way, and he may use that in his final vote.

(wanted my 100th daw to be here on spoilers!)

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

11-23-03, 05:31 AM (EST)
24. "congrats KO"
A closet DAW.

Yet still a DAW.

Love ya' and congrats on 100(+)

tribephyl

sorry nothing to add to the thread

jasonx 49 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-23-03, 09:25 PM (EST)
25. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
I saw the episode again, at here is what JP said, with 6 votes in:

"so Rupert 3, Darrah 2"

he didnt even remember jon's vote..yes of course it threw him off course. the producers didnt expect a vote of him.

so yeah, basically since you cant really say "CUT, lets retape that"...Jiffy just screwed up.

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-03, 06:46 AM (EST)
26. "RE: All Votes Shown Last night"
Jiffy's too smart for that and if he screwed up, the producers would just say "let's do that again" and have Jiffy do it all over again -- TC takes a few hours to film and they'd just retape and use the prior tape of contestants' reactions afterwards.

"Rupert 3, Darrah 2" with two votes left, still means 4-2 with one vote left. No... Jiffy did this to send a message to Rupert who's about to join the jury.

Heidi: My biggest assets to the tribe are my athletic skills and my intelligence. I've lost one of them.
Jiffy: Which one?

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-24-03, 10:00 AM (EST)
27. "Not to mention..."
LAST EDITED ON 11-24-03 AT 10:07 AM (EST)

I'm sure Jeff knows the tally before he reads the votes on camera anyway. Someone decides what order in which to read the ballots, whether that's Jeff or MB or someone else. I think Jeff knew he was reading all 8 ballots, in spite of the 5-2-1 split, before he even started!

---
UDG
(Edited, because I can't add.)

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •