The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Discussion/proposals"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

aethelstan 4435 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-06-04, 12:27 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Discussion/proposals"
First of all, I'd like to give props to the blue peeps who keep this forum running so smoothly. You guys are da bomb. The site suffers rarely from excessive duplicate posts because when the show is on there is an expected sequence of new discussion topics. SherpaDave always starts the vote thread and Webby posts the official results. JSlice usually start the See-BS misdirection; Krautboy posts his confessional analysis; Markopolo posts the Yahoo insider material, etc.

That being said I have three proposals/discussion topics concerning topic/forum management (if that's the term to use).

1. As I've written above, there are a number of expected topics for discussion that happen on a weekly basis including those listed above as well as: the show title, boot of the week, challenges, other sites discussion and results and many more. Should a list like this be included in the forum guidelines with a disclaimer 'look for discussion in these topics first. If you don't see that topic for the episode in question, go ahead and create it.

2. Toward the end of last season, we started separating the immunity challenge from the reward challenge discussion, which I liked very much. However, this led to a number of different thread containing a large number of vidcaps and animated gifs. This has to be difficult to load/reload for all those who are on dial-up. Should there be a thread exclusively for vidcaps to which all other discussions refer? It wouldn't be that hard to have one window open with the vidcap thread and another for the various discussion threads.

3. Many times last year, usually on a Friday, I wanted to talk about the past episode in light of what it tells us about the future episodes: key quotes, etc. Should there be a post mortem thread to discuss the previous episode and it's alliance/sole survivor implications or is this more appropriate material for fanatics/bashers?

Now, before I risk flaming, I just want to say that I'm posting this just as a jumping off point for discussion about this forum and it's expected topics.

Happy spoiling!

© Kittyloaf Creations, 2003
I certainly don't want to step on any of the blue peeps toes.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Discussion/proposals mistofleas 01-06-04 1
   RE: Discussion/proposals Brownroach 01-06-04 3
 RE: Discussion/proposals Brownroach 01-06-04 2
   RE: Discussion/proposals mistofleas 01-06-04 4
       RE: Discussion/proposals true 01-06-04 6
           RE: Discussion/proposals Brownroach 01-06-04 10
               RE: Discussion/proposals true 01-06-04 11
                   RE: Discussion/proposals Blow by Blow 01-07-04 17
   RE: Discussion/proposals Jims02 01-07-04 18
 RE: Discussion/proposals okaloosajohn 01-06-04 5
   RE: Discussion/proposals true 01-06-04 7
 RE: Discussion/proposals udg 01-06-04 8
 RE: Discussion/proposals Krautboy 01-06-04 9
   RE: Discussion/proposals munson 01-06-04 13
   RE: Discussion/proposals Swami 01-07-04 15
       RE: Discussion/proposals aethelstan 01-07-04 16
 *sticks his head in the room* IceCat 01-06-04 12
   RE: *sticks his head in the room* JazzyJax 01-06-04 14
 RE: Discussion/proposals Loquatrix 01-12-04 19
   RE: Discussion/proposals VerucaSalt 01-12-04 20
       RE: Discussion/proposals Swami 01-12-04 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-06-04, 12:37 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
All I'm going to say on the subject if there isn't some sort of Big Lie for ASS, I have no purpose.

--smiles

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-04, 12:42 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
There's always swooping, my dear Misto.

01-06-04, 12:41 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
Re: # 3, JimsO2 started a "hindsight" thread at one point during S7, but it seems to me that in previous seasons there was one started after each episode, though I don't remember if the same person always started it. I thought they were valuable.

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-04, 12:53 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
Agreed, I really liked the hindsight threads and I believe it was Krautboy that did them wasn't it?

--has been wrong before

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-04, 01:36 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Discussion/proposals"

I haven't been around spoilers much lately, but I do like to discuss spoilery stuff on show night, and the next day. Since were being kinda nit picky, I'd love to see a thread separate from the East Coast spoiler thread to discuss what happened on the show, and keep the ECSpoiler thread strictly for live recap postings. That thread generally gets huge by the time the show is over, and I have to wade through all the recap stuff to find good points of discussion that end up buried in a huge thread. I hope that makes sense.

01-06-04, 06:59 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
It makes sense to me, true -- I also find the East Coast thread to be really unwieldy by the next morning, and there are usually some good observations to be found there.

I guess the problem is that starting a separate discussion thread right after the East Coast play-by-play means there is a second "spoiler" thread to avoid, hence all posts go in the EC thread until the show has aired in every time zone.

01-06-04, 07:10 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
I know what you mean, BR. I just think it would be nice to have a separate East Coast Spoiler thread specifically for reporting on the show as it airs, without comment. It would make it easier to follow for those who want to know what happens before it airs in their time zone. A second EC Spoiler thread for discussion would also be great for people who don't need the blow by blow, but want to comment, bash, go fanatic, or spoil as the show is on, and in the hours immediately following. Having both on the same thread just gets too hard to follow, once it gets to 50+ posts, and usually tops 100. It may be too confusing to start two EC Spoiler threads at once, but it might work.

On another spoiler topic, I'd be interested to have a weekly spoiler chat. It might be hard to cooridinate, but could be fun to meet in the SB Survivor chat room to discuss the various spoilers each week. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Blow by Blow 895 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-07-04, 11:20 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
"...people who don't need the blow by blow..."

Wha?? Who are these people? Give me their names!!!

-BbB

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

01-07-04, 11:44 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
That did strike me as odd, that we didn't have any hindsight threads. The only reason why I started that one was to make sense of our efforts and how they related to others', such as Snewser. I think it would be a good idea to start these up again.

A holiday gift from JSlice

okaloosajohn 1259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-06-04, 12:58 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
At the risk of invoking the ire of the blue peeps, and because I just like to pick nits, shouldn't this forum be named something different?

I mean spoilers, to me, are revelations of what will actually transpire.

What we see here, while extremely entertaining, isn't strictly spoiling, except every once in a blue moon. The rest of the time, it is strictly 'guessing'.

Highly intelligent, informed guessing, no doubt, but guessing just the same.

Maybe Survivor Speculation Forum would be a more accurate name?

01-06-04, 01:39 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
Well John, it clearly states on the lobby page that this forum is for discussion of spoilers and their speculation. Most of what is posted here is speculation, but much of it is based on actual spoilers.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-06-04, 02:08 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
>1. ...Should a
>list like this be included
>in the forum guidelines with
>a disclaimer 'look for discussion
>in these topics first.
>If you don't see that
>topic for the episode in
>question, go ahead and create
>it.

That's a good idea. As a new-newbie, I did read the guidelines, but it took me a while to catch on to the rythm of the forum without having it spelled right out for me.

>2. ...Should there be
>a thread exclusively for vidcaps
>to which all other discussions
>refer? It wouldn't be
>that hard to have one
>window open with the vidcap
>thread and another for the
>various discussion threads.

I don't think that's feasible. People seem to like posting pics in their posts (me, too), and it would probably take quite a bit of policing to limit that. Also, from a selfish point of view, I have high speed access, and it's easier for me to understand what a person is saying when they just post the picture instead of refering to "number 14, 5 and 23."

>3. ... Should there be a
>post mortem thread to discuss
>the previous episode and it's
>alliance/sole survivor implications or is
>this more appropriate material for
>fanatics/bashers?

Yes, please!

---
UDG

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

01-06-04, 06:46 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
Aethalstan, your suggestions are all good. There is no reason why your ideas can’t be implemented for S8...just do it!

Webby and the Blue Crew have created a unique environment, and encouraged a community at Sblows that pretty much runs itself. We seem to police ourselves with common sense and common courtesy and most of the time, it works very well...

This thread is a perfect example of a member of our spoiling community wanting to make things better. Go for it! There’s no reason to wait for someone else to do what needs to be done in order to make things better.

I also prefer separate Immunity and Reward Challenge threads. When we don’t find one, we should probably start one. If you don’t, I probably will…

Your suggestion for a “hindsight” thread after each episode is also excellent. I’d suggest the same thing…if you don’t find one, let’s start one, if you don’t, someone else probably will.

At Sblows, we all seem to have the same goal…to have fun while spoiling survivor with a group of good people. If your suggestions don’t get in the way of that, I’d say go for it…take the initiative and make things better, and if you don’t, someone else probably will…

Krautboy

munson 1314 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-06-04, 11:19 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
Just wanted to mention that I remember you, KB, authoring some very insightful hindsight posts for Survivors past. I, for one, would like to see Hindsight as a regular thread topic in Spoliers.

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

01-07-04, 10:52 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
I agree with Krautboy. Your suggestions are all good ones, and most of them already happen informally. I would not like to see a too rigid structure imposed on the format. I know that's not what you are saying--but it's a trend in that direction. The spoiler community is always a nice blend of "old-timers" who help maintain the spirit & organization we all value so much, and "newer" posters who add new spirit and viewpoints to enrich the mix.

There will always be a few false starts, and awkward or totally inappropriate threads started--that's the nature of a public forum. I don't think rules can preclude those posts from happening.

I must say, however, that I really value having specific photos in discussion posts. When someone says something like "isn't that Jon's left elbow sticking out from behind Burton's hip, but whose socks is he wearing?" I want the correct photo right there, without opening up any extra window(s).

IceCat is The One

aethelstan 4435 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-07-04, 11:13 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
I agree with you Swami. I think that imposing a structure beyond what is already in place has some serious drawbacks and I don't think it should be done. Also, I also like having the photo right there in the discussions but I have to acknowledge that it takes a while to load as the thread gets longer and longer.

Regarding a hind-sight or post mortem thread: To combine with what True wrote above, perhaps such a thread could be started on Thursday night with a small warning for the West Coasters in the first line. This could serve to keep the East Coast update thread a tad smaller. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to start such a thread until Friday morning as I'm seldom online on Thursdays.

© Kittyloaf Creations, 2003

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-04, 07:26 PM (EST)
12. "*sticks his head in the room*"
*looks around*

*nods and smiles*

*discretely steps out*

JazzyJax 531 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-06-04, 11:36 PM (EST)
14. "RE: *sticks his head in the room*"
*falling on the floor, laughing my a** off*

IceCat, you'll have to do your magic and get a sigpic with a character doing exactly that discrete prowl to keep an eye on us like this, lololol

Loquatrix 640 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-12-04, 01:04 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
All good ideas, a/s. If this is a democracy and assuming I am franchised, then all three ideas get my vote. ;)

Good to hear your voice again, m'friend!

And before the season really gets under way and the mods get buried in the hard work of modding all this, some requisite toadying from moi -- sincere thanks to all you blue folks for hosting us and making this a pleasant place to hang out. Really 'preciate.

VerucaSalt 1580 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-12-04, 08:35 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
Oh you know I'm in favor of that; I've been known to start a challenge thread because I love seeing my name in lights

I think the challenges should definitely be kept separate. They involve not only descriptives from the teasers but the caps as well. It merits a separate discussion and like some others said; if it isn't posted, you can be sure I will

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

01-12-04, 11:00 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Discussion/proposals"
I think the two challenges are often mixed into one discussion because the CBS preview usually mix everything up and we have to first figure out which pics go with which challenge. By then discussion is underway and no one wants to start a new thread in the middle of an on-going discussion. How to avoid that?

I find it very desirable to have the pics under discussion in the discussion thread. So--repost the all pics (or selected pics) in both IC & RC discussion threads?

I love you Richard, but don't unpack.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •