The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"I don't believe Rupert is the reward in a RC?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

esquire 1095 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-07-03, 03:55 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"I don't believe Rupert is the reward in a RC?"
I keep hearing that Rupert is the reward in a RC. It suddenly occurred to me in the shower this morning (where I always do my best thinking), this will cause all types of administrative problems in running of the game, unless there are some changes to the basic way the game is played. And the problems would occur if the opposite happens to what everyone believes will happen.

Lets consider what would happen if Drake won a reward challenge challenge that allowed them to take a Morgan player (not exactly a shocking thing to believe would happen after episode 3). That would leave Drake with only 4 players. If the weakened Drake team (lets says Andrew is taken from them) then loses the episode 4 IC, then they are down to only 3 members after they vote out a member at Tribal Counsel (lets say they vote out Darrah).

Now Morgan has only 3 members left at the start of episode 5. The game can't be played with less than 3 members in a tribe because you have no way to vote anyone out. If Morgan loses a reward challenge where a person can be taken from them (lets say Osten goes), then loses the immunity challenge, there is no way for the 2 remaining Morgan members (Ryan and Tijuana) to vote someone out at the end of the episode. Both remaining players would just vote for the other one. even if Morgan loses only one of the challenges, then episode 6 starts with only 2 members from Morgan. Once again, their is no way to vote someone out.

Now, I'm not saying that Morgan will continue to lose. What I am saying is that MB can't design the game in a way that this could possably occur, because Murphy's Law is always at work. He knows its possable that Morgan could keep losing and allowing Drake to steal a Morgan guy (remember no one knows who will actually win a challenge before it actually starts) would only worsen a bad situation

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: I don't believe Rupert is the r... Jims02 10-07-03 1
   RE: I don't believe Rupert is the r... esquire 10-07-03 2
       shrug cqvenus 10-07-03 4
 RE: I don't believe Rupert is the r... AZ_Leo 10-07-03 3
   RE: I don't believe Rupert is the r... VerucaSalt 10-07-03 5
       RE: I don't believe Rupert is the r... Brownroach 10-07-03 6
           Penalty for Losing? Krautboy 10-09-03 7
               RE: Penalty for Losing? SurvivorBlows 10-09-03 8
                   RE: Penalty for Losing? bebekid 10-09-03 10
               RE: Penalty for Losing? bebekid 10-09-03 9
                   RE: Penalty for Losing? Brownroach 10-09-03 11
                       RE: Penalty for Losing? Krautboy 10-09-03 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-07-03, 03:57 PM (EST)
1. "RE: I don't believe Rupert is the reward in a RC?"
Just to clarify...

The preview says that there's an "unexpected reward" pertaining to the IC winner, not the RC.

A 2003 IceCat original

esquire 1095 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-07-03, 04:03 PM (EST)
2. "RE: I don't believe Rupert is the reward in a RC?"
The same potential proble still exists if Morgan keeps losing

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

10-07-03, 04:08 PM (EST)
4. "shrug"
i dont think it's a problem b/c then he can just merge the tribes when morgan is down to 2 ppl

he doesn't have to have this rule apply more than once.

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

10-07-03, 04:08 PM (EST)
3. "RE: I don't believe Rupert is the reward in a RC?"
If a tribe got down to 2 or 3 members, then MB could have the merge an episode early and start the individual challenges.

VerucaSalt 1580 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

10-07-03, 05:39 PM (EST)
5. "RE: I don't believe Rupert is the reward in a RC?"
Yeah but what fun is that?

Not too mention you are talking more than likely the extinction of those last two/three members. Why are there swaps in Survivor? To prevent Pagonging; clearly Morgan is headed and has headed there already. And someone normally does get shafted in this scenario and alternatively someone can be saved.

The only difference here is that they are calling it a "steal" and perhaps doing it with only one or two people.

Gabriel got shafted by his own tribe after a swap
Kathy got saved probably b/c of this
Silas got shafted as well

Someone is going to pay one way or another. Considering the theme of this season, this fits plus they don't NEED to swap a lot of people, they have dead people returning after the merge to REALLY mess things up.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

10-07-03, 05:45 PM (EST)
6. "RE: I don't believe Rupert is the reward in a RC?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-07-03 AT 05:45 PM (EST)

The only difference here is that they are calling it a "steal" and perhaps doing it with only one or two people.

It really would be unfair to do this only once, imo, and have it be dictated by an IC win. I think it's going to be continued until the merge, like the camp raids.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-09-03, 05:02 PM (EST)
7. "Penalty for Losing?"
Jeff said...
"We're going to have penalties for losing a reward challenge."

While he said "reward" he may of been thinking about the IC in EP4. Jeff doesn't like it when the contestants try to take control of the game by throwing challenges. The "unexpected reward" may really be a penalty for intentionally throwing a challenge.

The IC win brings with it an "unexpected reward" that allows the winners to steal the losing tribe's "most valuable possession." This swift and painful punishment may be a reaction to trowing the challenge, in order to nip it in the bud before it happened again.

As Jeff said, "there is a huge regret." Losing Rupert would leave the Drake Tribe feeling "huge regret", about throwing the challenge.

In this scenario, the reward is a one time event, that occurs as a reaction to the Drake strategy. MB takes back control of the game...

Krautboy

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-03, 05:17 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Penalty for Losing?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-09-03 AT 05:22 PM (EST)

My problem with the "throw a challenge penalty" is that first starters, intent difficult to prove. And where's the line? What if one survivor dogs it, does that count? Two? How many does it take? Does it require a multi-party conspiracy? Can you be charged with "throwing" it based solely on who you sit out or does actual performance during the challenge matter? What if it's not a physical challenge where it's easy to spot? Would Ghandia have been charged with "throwing" the S5 Ep1 puzzle challenge? How do you determine between stupidity and ineptitude and deliberate intention?

And I'm not sure why Burnett would care -- if anything it'd decrease the likelyhood of a pagonging --- something Burnett should want. I don't see any better drama coming out of forcing Drake to try their hardest, win every chgallenge, and go into a merge with a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio domination. Throwing a challenge is good for the show -- it creates will-they-or-won't-they suspense, the possibility of "if only they hadn't" regret, and gives a haplessly inept tribe a chance to get their foot in the door. I just really don't understand why anyone thinks Burnett would want to discourage the throwing of challenges -- the 5-6 minutes of lost suspense during broadcast of the actual challenge itself is more than offset by all the dramatic editing he can do with it both before and after the challenge occurs.

Burnettt intentionally schedules twists in order to give the current non-dominate members of the game a potential second chance -- I have no idea of why he'd mind if some of the dominate players simply decided to do it for him.

-SB

bebekid 1621 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-03, 05:30 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Penalty for Losing?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-09-03 AT 05:32 PM (EST)

You are right, Webby, about "proving intent". Jeff's not gonna say to Drake "since you lost this challenge, you obviously threw it because you are too strong to have lost. So here's your penalty." Surely Burnett and Probst see the video feed coming from the camps and KNOW that some on Drake want to lose. So they take that opportunity to add a "twist" to even things up. I think that's all.

edited for clarity

A Kyngsladye Original

bebekid 1621 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-03, 05:23 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Penalty for Losing?"
Everything Krautboy said and especially this:

>In this scenario, the reward is
>a one time event, that
>occurs as a reaction to
>the Drake strategy. MB takes
>back control of the game...

Exactly. MB "lost control" (more or less) when Morgan sunk like a stone. He never expected Osten, Andrew, and RyanO to sucketh so badly. I agree this is a one time event to punish Drake and even out the tribes. And you have the added bonus of saving MB and Jiffy's darling Rupie, who otherwise might be vulnerable at a Drake TC.

A Kyngsladye Original

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-03, 05:45 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Penalty for Losing?"
I agree with Webby's comments. How could MB really determine that a challenge was thrown (unless it's incredibly obvious).

And how would he know ahead of time if it's being discussed, so as to plan a punishment? Does the crew report to MB that they heard the tribe talking about it? Just because a few people ponder it doesn't mean they're going to do it. Suppose they decide against it on the way to the challenge, but legitimately lose?

This seems unfair no matter how I look at it. If he does it only once, Drake never gets a chance to take Rupert back. If he does it at every IC until the merge, Rupert's presence makes it more likely that Morgan will win, meaning they will collect more members from Drake.

I think my scenario (that they can sideline a player, but that's all) would have been better because it wouldn't irrevocably turn the tables on one tribe.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-09-03, 06:10 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Penalty for Losing?"
>
>This seems unfair no matter how
>I look at it.
>If he does it only
>once, Drake never gets a
>chance to take Rupert back.

Unless there's another swap, or reshuffling, and bringing back the dead, in the next couple episodes that puts everyone back on an even keel anyway...

Tonight will be fun watching how it all plays out!

Krautboy

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •