The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Mystery Box Contents II"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

SaphireLady 2491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

03-17-03, 00:10 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Mystery Box Contents II"
I like the thought behind the contents of this box. First MB and JP have all of us wondering what is in the box for weeks. Keeps and interest in the game. 2nd, the tribes have to be wondering themselves as well, keeps them thinking about it too. While a box has not been shown on the girl team, I do believe they have one. The reason I believe this has to do with the idea that another Survivorblows member gave. I think we are going to have a merge/nonmerge type event at 10 people with the real merge at 8. This makes total sense, and would also mean that if the box contains a map to a totally new location, that both teams would have to have gotten a box.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Mystery Box Contents II KDMaxx 03-17-03 1
   RE: Mystery Box Contents II big idiot 03-17-03 3
 RE: Mystery Box Contents II big idiot 03-17-03 2
   RE: Mystery Box Contents II JohnMc 03-20-03 7
 RE: Mystery Box Contents II SaphireLady 03-18-03 4
 Merge Box Krautboy 03-20-03 5
   RE: Merge Box Booted 03-20-03 6
       RE: Merge Box SaphireLady 03-20-03 8
           RE: Merge Box SaphireLady 03-20-03 9
   RE: Merge Box munson 03-22-03 10
 Occam's Razor, people! SurvivinDawg 03-22-03 11
 One box or two? Yogi 03-22-03 12
   Arriving at Merge camp in old buffs... Krautboy 03-22-03 13
       RE: Arriving at Merge camp in old b... survivornmolekook 03-26-03 14
 RE: Mystery Box Contents II Boilermaker 03-27-03 15
   RE: Mystery Box Contents II zzz 03-27-03 16
       RE: Mystery Box Contents II Brownroach 03-27-03 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

KDMaxx 18 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-17-03, 00:50 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Mystery Box Contents II"
LAST EDITED ON 03-17-03 AT 00:53 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 03-17-03 AT 00:52 AM (EST)

Glad to see a new thread on this to keep the discussion current! Didn't want these thoughts lost in the old thread so I've copied them here:

IMO, the mystery box will contain a map to the location where the two tribes will "live together as one". This move will occur when there are 10 members and will reuse the "fake merge" concept delivered via a message in the mystery box instead of in person by JP. A real merge will follow once there are 8 left.

This thinking is based on the following:

1. JP interview on UGO where he discusses the fact that while the players did not see the fake merge from the last episode, the audience did see the fake merge so they had to decide how to keep it new and entertaining. A swap, followed two episodes later by a fake merge would certainly add a new, fun dynamic! Heidi and Jenna could both pull a ShiAnn error if this happens which would be great. (I think Heidi may have already lost substantial weight so she could go any time.)

2. The key to the mystery box will appear "when they least expect it". They would expect a merge at 8 and would therefore be surprised if the merge was to "happen early".

3. I recall reading that they move to a new, third location but I don't recall if we know the timing of that move. Was it at 10 members?

This assumes that both teams have mystery boxes which I think must be the case due to the swap that just happened.

Hmmmm.....KDMaxx

big idiot 193 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-17-03, 01:28 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Mystery Box Contents II"
LOL, I was typing while you were typing also, I was referencing your post on the other thread and expanding the details of your statements. And then lo and behold, your post was here. As you can see from my post, I agree with you KDMaxx.

Cheers, BI

big idiot 193 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-03, 01:20 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Mystery Box Contents II"
LAST EDITED ON 03-17-03 AT 01:24 AM (EST)

SL,

Thanks for starting a new thread on this. I trust the powers of SB will lock the other and drag over the newest entries - or lock this one and drag us over there - time will reveal.

KDMaxx has also posted some great info and thoughts on the mystery box and some relevant Jeff quotes. KDMaxx also proposes a fake merge at 10 players (ep 7) and a real merge at 8 players (ep 9) which i support and these merge scenarios are evinced by the following:

#1) Jeff, "in Thailand, we did the fake merge. Now the Survivors that were shooting the Amazon did not know that. They did not know; they were already gone when that episode aired, so we had a big question, and the question was, we could pull that big merge again, these guys will never see it coming. Do we do that because we know it will result in great reality, maybe it's worth a lot? But we do have to consider that our audience has already seen it, so if we do it again, we have to know that, for them, this is old news, and make sure that, if we do it again, we spin it slightly in a way that is different for them, as well as for the survivors."

#2) Jeff, "OK, it looks like it's these five against these three, and it's going to be a numbers game, and then you show up and, all of a sudden, it's a big shift; we are now at four vs. four"

#1 supports the fake merge concept and #2 supports a real merge following a fake merge at 8 players because he sounds like he arrived in a single camp made up of two factions, then made an announcement (while handing out red buffs?) and after he left some alliances were redrawn. It would not make sense for him to go to two separate camps and hand out red buffs.

The box is probably revealed at one of these two events (fake merge or real merge). The initial instructions about the box "when you don't expect it" should rule out ep 7 because that is the traditional merge time and they should be expecting something.

On the other hand I could also rule out ep 9 because of Jeff's quote "and then you show up and, all of a sudden, it's a big shift" This sounds like Jeff shows up to announce the merge, so they really would not need a mystery box for this.

So I'm going to make a case for ep 7 (10 players) revealing the mystery box. As stated before, a key will arrive by treemail for each tribe, the box is opened, inside is a map to the new merge area and instructions that state they have 30 minutes to collect their stuff.

Is this a "when you don't expect it" situation? Possibly. As viewers, we will expect it because we are watching 3 days pressed into 1 hour. But the "when you don't expect it" is for the survivors over a 3 day period. They may expect a merge via a challenge or via Jeff dropping by, instead a key arrives by treemail and suddenly, whamo, it is time to merge.

This method also fulfills Jeff's quote about the structure of the fake merge, "and make sure that, if we do it again, we spin it slightly in a way that is different for them, as well as for the survivors". This method of a fake merge is "slightly different". Jeff does not make the announcement, the box does. The "merge" instructions will be vague like Jeff was in Survivor Thailand.

And perhaps finally, the real purpose of the mystery box is understood.

who knows, BI

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-20-03, 01:03 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Mystery Box Contents II"
<<#2) Jeff, "OK, it looks like it's these five against these three, and it's going to be a numbers game, and then you show up and, all of a sudden, it's a big shift; we are now at four vs. four">>

I do agree that the box is probably merge related. But let's also talk about Jeff's #2 quote from BI, and look at it in terms of 4-4. Have we ever had a 4-4 block before? Not in S1 or S5, because we started Pagonging. In S2, we started Pagonging also, but Keith/Colby/Tina started dropping of their other team members as numbers allowed them to. In S4, John wanted to get rid of Samboohoo, and then had "predetermined" the boot order, thus leaving the Rotu-4. When this was figured out, we saw the "outcast alliance" begin Pagoning the Rotu-4. But what happened in S3???

We had a swap, which allowed Boron to enter the merge 6-4. Boron booted Clarence because of Beangate, and then Kelly because of Lex's gut. So the numeric advantage was now even at 4-4! How can we get there on Amazon? We have to get rid of 2 men. Alex is first, then either Dave, Matt, or Rob. Dave is more of a leader, he is stronger, and he is a bigger immunity threat, so I would guess that his boot would even things at 4-4.

If we have a true merge, the above scenario can play out. If we have a fake merge, then the team that loses immunity at the fake merge would have to win the next immunity in order to create the 4-4.

So bring this back to JP's comment. If you see that it is a fake merge, then you are surprised like Shii Ann and go, "Doh, now we are down 4-5, possibly 3-5 and probably sinking fast when the real merge occurs." If it's a real merge and you watch 2 guys go down, then you watched numbers go down from what seemed to be domination to a possible tie breaker. This second scenario takes place over the course of 6 days, where the first hits you instantaneously. Based on this logic, I say that the merge box is opened at the "live together but don't merge" merge. (Frankly, I think I totally confused myself with the logic, or lack thereof, herein contained.)

To summarize, I agree w/BI's idea that this is a merge box to be opened at some sort of merge.

03-18-03, 02:14 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Mystery Box Contents II"
Everyone seems to be in agreement that this box contains a map to a new location with vague instructions so they do not know it is not a "real" merge.

HHHMMMMMMmmmm only thought I have on this is, if we are all in agreement can we be right?

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-20-03, 11:45 AM (EST)
5. "Merge Box"
Looks like the the "mystery box" will be revealed in EP7 as expected. It also appears that it contains, red buffs, map to merge camp (in the Forest of Life), and instructions to pack up within a limited time period.

We have been given vidcaps of the "Pole Perch" challenge which appears to be for Immunity, but nothing dealing with a RC, so the merge celebration will probably replace the RC.

A cheap drunk followed by "Sleeping with the Enemy" since they are now all playing for individual immunity...

Krautboy

Booted 156 desperate attention whore postings

03-20-03, 12:25 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Merge Box"
Did not JP say if they did the fake merge again they would have to do it with a twist because the viewing audience has seen it before? If that is so why would they not have a fake merge with the new "buffs" but again never say merger?

Boot Ed

03-20-03, 01:06 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Merge Box"
I think that if you have the new buffs, new camp, and do not say the words merge that is leaving an opening for a lawsuit or at the very least extreme problems. New Buffs have always ment new teams and that is one thing that could not be changed. But, since there is "bleeding" in the pictures around the buffs it is possible that no new buffs have been given. Now I don't really believe that, but if, and a big if, it really is a new twist, I can see the playing for individual stuff but still keeping the individual tribes, like, the pole standing, who ever has the most tribe members still standing at the end of a certain time period, otherwise both Jenna and Heidi working with each other would be a problem

"Now I will believe that there are unicorns..." William Shakespeare; "The Tempest"

03-20-03, 10:28 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Merge Box"
One more thought, If the girls are striping for food, then that has to be an RC and not the IC, so could it has to be twisted in some way.

"Now I will believe that there are unicorns..." William Shakespeare; "The Tempest"

munson 1314 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-22-03, 04:58 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Merge Box"
KB, I doubt the box contains the red buffs. Since the boxes came with the survivors when they arrived, MB would have no idea how many buffs to put in each. Even with a planned reshuffle in E5, he couldn't predict whether it would be 5-5 or 6-4.

Of course, he could have put 6 new, red buffs in each, just in case. But not likely.

The new buffs are probably waiting with the wine and cheese at the new merge camp.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-22-03, 05:07 PM (EST)
11. "Occam's Razor, people!"
Remember Occam's Razor! Let's not try to complicate this!

The simple solution is a map to a third location (this is supported by spoiler info that for the last 20 days, they live together at a third location, and the start day for that 20 day countdown is in this episode). Red buffs? Maybe, maybe not, but why not have them in there?

And when they get there, they dine on the traditional merge feast, then are whisked off to the poles for IC, and the Heidi and Jenna show.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Yogi 1206 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-22-03, 05:52 PM (EST)
12. "One box or two?"
From looking at the vidcaps we see the Jaburu members with the
key but no box. We then see the Tambaqui with the box (blue buff)
but not with a key. The old Tambaqui members would know about
the mystery box. My guess is that Jaburu gets a key and a map while
Tambaqui would just get a map.

The part that may be interesting is that whether or not they have instructions
to open the box when they reach their new location. If they assume they
are allowed to open the box, and if it were to contain red buffs, then they
may also assume they have been merged.

Just some thoughts...

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-22-03, 06:35 PM (EST)
13. "Arriving at Merge camp in old buffs?"

This vidcap seems appears to show the two tribes arriving together at the merge camp wearing their Blue and Yellow buffs, so it appears the boxes do not contain the buffs or if they do, they have not been instructed to wear them yet...

Krautboy

survivornmolekook 37 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-26-03, 06:23 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Arriving at Merge camp in old buffs?"
that could also just be both tribes arriving at a challenge

Boilermaker 260 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-27-03, 03:09 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Mystery Box Contents II"
What did Jeff Probst really mean at the beginning of the show when he stated that the mystery box would contain a surprise that would be shown at a time when noone was expecting it. We knew exactly what it was and when it would be shown from Day 1. OOOOHHHHH SO SHOCKING JP/MB!!!

And next week on Survivor: The tribe will shockingly go to Tribal Council at a surprising time when noone expects it!

zzz 703 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-27-03, 04:33 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Mystery Box Contents II"
>What did Jeff Probst really mean
>at the beginning of the
>show when he stated that
>the mystery box would contain
>a surprise that would be
>shown at a time when
>noone was expecting it. We
>knew exactly what it was
>and when it would be
>shown from Day 1. OOOOHHHHH
>SO SHOCKING JP/MB!!!
>

You mean you have not caught on to the fact that they use hyperbole (ok--actually they lie) all the time. Now I am shocked.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-27-03, 04:59 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Mystery Box Contents II"
And weren't we supposed to get a Shocking Twist that Blows the Whole Game Wide Open?

Oh. The merge. No biggie. Just a merge. Like in every other Survivor, the tribes merged. Ho hum.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •