The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Reflections on Spoiling"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

MattyMax 515 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-30-02, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Reflections on Spoiling"
Hey kids, I wanted to start a discussion (if anybody is still reading this board) of what spoilers were especially relevant or useful this season. Help us out for the Amazon... (maybe they'll all get yellow fever...)

These are the ones that come to mind especially:

1. WEIGHT LOSS - as much as Sook Jai fans tried to debunk them, the Chuay Gahn weight loss spoilers were all true and relevant. We received weight loss spoilers about all final 5 Chuay Gahn members, and no one else except an Erin-breast comment.

2. Ghandia's stars. IT's like every year that some dumbass gives away the residents of the LL. Be it Diane, Patricia or Ghandia. Ghandia's stars was the key to the Jed and Shii ann boot predictions.

3. This was the season of PRO SPOILERS. TDT had the final 2 weeks in advance, as did Snewster correctly pick pretty consistently. On one hand, these were great because of their good records, but they did discourage amateur spoilers from trying. But I believe that many of these pros were just good editing analysts.

Which leads me to
4. The EDITING. MB handed many of the boots to us on a silver platter. We saw Brian with the Immunity Necklace in the final 4 in a preview, we saw Ghandia fighting and knew she would be next, the sook jai boot-the-strong strategy was quite obvious. MB showed us the strategies, except for that Erin boot, but that episode was just BIZARRE anyway. We knew that SJ would be pagonged. The vidcaps and red herrings pretty much led us to know who would be booted, such as Ted's "rolling around on the ground, causing jealousy", who else could it have been?

Something I've been thinking about is the way that TANYA picked Brian very early on, and said that she would ally with him. remember in the chat, she thoughtfully paused before she said anything. Perhaps she couldn't help but be honest? (She's so sweet) Perhaps those early show interviews aren't so useless.

Anything else? Any of the many great spoiling achievements that I left out?

MattyMax

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Reflections on Spoiling SurvivaBear 12-30-02 1
   RE: Reflections on Spoiling MattyMax 12-31-02 2
 RE: Reflections on Spoiling Bungler 12-31-02 3
   RE: Reflections on Spoiling MattyMax 01-02-03 5
   RE: Reflections on Spoiling Brownroach 01-06-03 6
 RE: Reflections on Spoiling SurvivinDawg 12-31-02 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

SurvivaBear 2634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

12-30-02, 07:53 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Reflections on Spoiling"
Vidcap analysis was helpful this season (although not as necessary due to the straightforward editing). I have amazed my casual viewing friends by accurately revealing the IC's and RC's after reading Bungler and Webby vidcap threads.

As you pointed out, the weight-loss spoilers have been shown to be consistently helpful. No matter how much some want to dismiss them or ask "are the weight-loss spoilers still helpful?"

Editing spoilers can be very tricky, as they are often subjective and have shifted over time (revealed strategies never suceed or the winner is never shown in a negative light in the first episode).

I am more of a technician, myself, pulling together the predominate theories and spoiling of others to make my predictions. However, I enjoy learning about any aspect of the show before it airs, and not just the bootee or the winner.

Beware the Bear! An IceCat Original, © 2002

12-31-02, 12:35 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Reflections on Spoiling"
<Editing spoilers can be very tricky, as they are often subjective and have shifted over time>

Very true, very true. I have a feeling that MB is going to revert back to hiding the winner, but the fact that he has hid the winner and handed us the winners shows that he will use a spectrum of techniques, and so we don't necessarilly know what we will be seeing in the future... although I do hope something interesting like in Survivor 2 where the winner was pretty ambiguious, but at the end everything fit together (as opposed to S4, which just left me confused and annoyed).

Vidcaps, yes, I was suprised by how much was given to us in these caps.

MattyMax

Bungler 497 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-31-02, 07:04 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Reflections on Spoiling"
LAST EDITED ON 12-31-02 AT 07:08 PM (EST)

On the subject of our "big mouth" tipsters (Debb, Diane, Patricia, and Ghandia), I don't like to think of them as dumb, just naive about how the game is played. I especially like Diane. Note that every one of them played extremely aggressively, or let their dominant (some would say domineering) personalities out far too early. Out of the four, I especially like Diane, who I think now understands how the game is played, and is as canny a spoiler/predictor of this game as any of the online spoiling bigwigs. That they all spoke, too much, right after or near their boots is just further proof that when the game was played (and immediately in its aftermath), they still didn't understand the basic strategy for surviving on Survivor. And, if anything, we've seen that initial, "do it my way" bossiness is a kiss of death. It killed all of our talkers, as well as BB, Peter and Pastor John.

On our "pro" spoilers, one thing many here probably don't realize is that SBlows is rife with spoiling pros. TDT and Snewser get tipped off to some things, primarily because they have websites with "mail us info" addresses. Tipsters can provide information privately in this fashion, and that's great. But TDT and Snewser are also brilliant spoilers/speculators. They're doing the same thing most posters are doing here, they just do it where much of it cannot be seen. They're good at networking. And they're good at picking gems out of the flood of trash that gets posted here, there and everywhere. Keep an eye on TDT and Snewser, and those other groups/sites as well, but keep an eye here too. Some of the analysis I see here and MESS and VO (among others) is exactly what got me to #1 in Spoiler Island this season.

But, as much as I want to crow about being #1 this season, I think it's more because Mark Burnett was bored with what happened in Thailand and thus decided to leave most of his secrets out in the open, than for any canny spoiling ability. I suck at analysis. I'm better at seeing what's right in front of my face (i.e. vidcaps), and Mark definitely gave me a lot of chew on this season compared to previous ones. The advance buzz on the Amazon is that Survivor's back on its game. Which hopefully means spoiling will be harder and more rewarding for those who really spoil.

See you soon.

01-02-03, 02:53 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Reflections on Spoiling"
Bungler,

Let me defend myself. Let's look at this group: Diane, Patricia, Ghandia, Debb... I mean, I can't think of a more pitiful bunch of losers. True, Diane may have redeemed herself since with a wicked spoiling record, but remember in the recrap episode of Africa where she was flipping out at the watering hole because she was sure she heard a lion? While it may have been Africa, and very hard conditions, that was a little bout of disruptive paranoid schizophrenia that's sure to win friends the first 2 days...

But I digress...

I do agree with you that a lot of good spoiling comes out of this board. Where else would people look for excellent vidcap analysis (thanks in most part to YOU!) as well as thorough analysis of red herrings and interviews. I bet most of those pro spoilers get information from here. On the subject, I do hope that in the future that people rely more on their own intuition and analysis than on the pros, it's sad to look at the boot pick vote and see so many people basing their votes on what Snewster said without any other information, instead of what their own potentially keen analysis would lead them to believe. It would be great if people realized that if they post what they think, then those pros may in fact borrow their reasoning, instead of the other way around.

MattyMax

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-06-03, 02:58 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Reflections on Spoiling"
>>I think it's more because Mark Burnett was bored with what happened in Thailand and thus decided to leave most of his secrets out in the open.<<

I agree, Bungler. In S5 MB tried all these innovations -- having 2 contestants pick the teams; offering a voluntary tribal switch (that no one took him up on); having a fake merge and delaying the real one -- none of which did anything to prevent the game from playing out in the most predictable manner possible. So I think MB just threw up his hands and dispensed with any intricate misdirection.

I also think he must have been irked at the Sook Jais, and thus focused more on the Chuays when editing the show, even though practically all of them made it to the very end. I mean, Stephanie did NOT live up to her audition video; Ken's "strategy" was to go UTR right off the bat instead of helping his team win challenges; they were all playing badly and were BORING to boot (except for Robb and Shii Ann, whom MB got the most mileage out of until their respective exits).

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-31-02, 07:30 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Reflections on Spoiling"
This was the season of PRO SPOILERS. TDT had the final 2 weeks in advance, as did Snewster correctly pick pretty consistently. On one hand, these were great because of their good records, but they did discourage amateur spoilers from trying. But I believe that many of these pros were just good editing analysts.

I remember when there was a huge hue-and-cry on this board over vote changes when SNewser and Paratrooper came out with their pics. Turns out that Paratrooper was incorrect (a Sook Jai did NOT win it all), and SNewser was as good as anyone, but missed a couple also, and in the later going I got where I was posting my votes (and not changing them) before SNewser even came out. TDT got the last two right, but wasn't doing all that great in the earlier going. And gomen nasai, *MY* record has twice in a row now been better than the AcmeBrainTrust.

As to the rest of it, I think you hit it on the head pretty well. The Acme Boot Sheet had a lot of good info. Ghandia's Stars was fairly big, especially once we figured out it was a "Ghandia's Friends" list. I always work off the Editing, and this year was nothing special. But I think the two biggest things were the Weight Loss spoilers and Clay's comments (after Ghandia's waxing) that Chuay Ghan wouldn't go back to Tribal Council for a good while.

Agatha Christie 14, Mark Burnett 2 - twice in a row now...
Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •