The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Is it possible Ted is next to go?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Devil Advocate 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-08-02, 06:54 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Is it possible Ted is next to go?"
I have been lurking here for several seasons, and sincerely thank the contributors for some healthy food for thought. I choose to finally create a login and post because I am somewhat surprised to find little to no discussion about a possible Ted boot coming up. Here are my thoughts, and I wonder if anyone has been considering the same:

1/ I think we all can agree that Ghandia needs counselling, but what concerned me the most about last episode was the behaviour of the other women on this tribe. Helen seemed to enjoy fueling the fire by running back to Ghandia to tell her Ted said nothing happened. Is this because she appreciated the opportunity to draw the spotlight away from herself and toward someone else? By the look on her face as she took the knife from Ghandia's hands and watched her stomp off to the beach, I got the distinct impression there was a darker anti-Ted (anti-male?) current running there ...

2/ Jan's a bit of a simpleton who will follow Helen's lead ... even into stormy waters and snake-infested beaches.

Could it be possible this leads to a TC with a tie vote and Ghandia actually (gasp!) survives the tie-breaker?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Is it possible Ted is next to g... Jims02 10-08-02 1
 Consider these items... SurvivinDawg 10-08-02 2
   RE: Consider these items... Q 10-08-02 3
       RE: Consider these items... GuessItRains 10-08-02 4
           RE: Consider these items... hearkittykitty 10-08-02 14
       Seeing the forest thru the trees. snoocharoo 10-08-02 5
           RE: Seeing the forest thru the tree... Q 10-08-02 10
       RE: Consider these items... wendyp 10-08-02 6
           RE: Consider these items... WildEel 10-08-02 7
               Tiebreaker Boilermaker 10-08-02 9
       RE: Consider these items... blacknwhitedog 10-08-02 11
 RE: Is it possible Ted is next to g... Loree 10-08-02 8
 RE: Is it possible Ted is next to g... Brownroach 10-08-02 12
   RE: Is it possible Ted is next to g... jkokoj 10-08-02 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-08-02, 07:13 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Is it possible Ted is next to go?"
I've been considering that angle for quite awhile now.

The incident like this that really stands out for some reason in my mind is Joel's boot from S1. Gervase started the whole cow thing, but it ended up getting Joel the boot.

Stranger things have happened when gossip goes around.

Quotes of the week
1. "You will NOT see my ta-ta's" -Shii Ann

2. "Do they think I'm too controlling?" -Helen (um, yeah)
3. "My two year old (had a tantrum) one time and I whupped its @$$ and put it back to bed." -Clay

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-02, 07:57 AM (EST)
2. "Consider these items..."
Here are some items to consider why Ted is NOT getting the boot:

1) Weight loss spoiler. Ted is reported to have lost as much as FIFTY (50) pounds.
2) Ted brought the issue with Ghandia out in the open; in front of everyone, and it came out that he apologized. Ghandia was behind-the-back in her approach, and just happened to fail to mention that Ted had apologized.
3) Pictures show Ghandia sitting alone, away from the rest of her tribe, while Ted is among the group.
4) If you ask me, Helen is more in with Brian than with Ghandia. She'll vote out Ghandia, so where is that tie vote?
5) MB's editing: He is trying VERY HARD to convince us that there are gender divides here. He also tried VERY HARD to create this image in Survivor Africa. It wasn't the case on the dull, dusty African plain, and I doubt it's the case in the sopping wet Thai jungle.

If Ted is voted out in Ep.4, it'll be the biggest shocker in the history of the Survivor series.

27-25

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Q 2569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

10-08-02, 09:53 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Consider these items..."
I totally Agree Dawg, Ted will last past Ghandia.

I have had issues though with the Weight loss spoilers for quite sometime now though. Not sure if this is the place to air them, but who knows.

I have a Masters Degree in Nutrition and Physiology, and have been reviewing my information regarding starvation.

The following are some webpages I found regarding starvation diets (like the survivors are on (200-400 calories/day).

http://www.naafa.org/documents/brochures/weightloss.html

This site has some quick and easy statements on starvation, as follows:

"Weight loss attempts which try to force the body's natural weight range to change, instead of resulting in a lower weight. actually reset the weight range higher in the body's attempt to compensate for starvation."

This is saying, as you cut the amount of food drastically, and this continues for some time, the body resists weight loss more in an attempt to stave off starvation.

Also,

Initially, starvation mainly causes a decrease in body fat, rather than skeletal muscle. If starvation progresses over a long period of time, more muscle tissue will be lost and the individual will begin to experience loss of body muscle or “wasting.”

During my schooling, we also saw many examples of starvations effects on children and adults around the globe. Weight loss is very fast (due to water loss) in the short term and mid term, but by the long term, effects of starvation have caused the body to go into compensation mode. It tries to prevent weight loss.

A good example of this is Tanya. She lost 16 pounds in 6 days. She lost a ton of water thru vomiting and dehydration, and most likely the loss of fat tissue (of which she had little, so it hit her hard).

Also, the larger (and more fat tissue) the animal (human) the faster the weight loss will be as a total, because the percentage a large weight loss (50 lbs for Ted) is not that great when you consider the total body weight for that individual (50 lbs / 300 lbs * 100 = 16.67 %)

So if Ted lost 50 lbs, that is 16.67 % of his BW. Tanya lost 16 lbs and that is approximately (16 lbs / 125 lbs * 100 = 12.8) 12.8 % of her BW.

Weight loss should be looked at on a percentage of total Body Weight (BW) basis and not on simple totals. The total amount of fat on an individual is also very important. Ted obviously has a lot of fat, and will resist breaking down his muscle mass for quite some time.

Now with that said, and my graduate nutrition notes checked I can conclude that although 50 lbs is a lot of weight and points to Ted lasting some time in this game, That could simply point to him burning his fat stores over a period of a few WEEKS prior to his bodies defense mechanisms kicking in to prevent muscle loss.

I do not beleive it gaurantees he makes it past the merge or even the the F4 (although I think he will make the F4)because he could have burned through 50 lbs relatively quickly.

It is important to remember that no two individuals will have the same rate of weight loss, it is dependent on the intake of calories, the expendeture of calories, the persons Body Mass Index, their body fat percentage and the lenght of time food is reduced. So the time is a factor, but not the only one.

D.R.

GuessItRains 700 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-08-02, 10:06 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Consider these items..."
Q,

Great post. I certainly would agree that Ted, with his high fat content, could lose 50 pounds in well less than 39 days. The important thing will be to watch how quickly he starves. I don't think he has lost close to that yet and the Chewies are still eating fairly well, especially relative to the Sookies.

More to the point of the initial post, Ted hasn't lost enough weight yet to fulfill the spoilers, and the earlier he goes the more likely he would be to gain some of it back before returning to the States. Couple that with Dawg's other commentary and I think there is more chance of Brian getting voted out next episode than Ted.

hearkittykitty 75 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-08-02, 05:10 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Consider these items..."
Ahhh...

But if Ted were booted this Ep (on day 12) - he'd have 27 days left to regain what he lost. He'd be better hydrated, and probably gorge of missed foods (like so many survivors have in the past) for a few days. The body, having become used to fewer calories to maintain the body would now be prone to quick weight gain, wouldn't it?

snoocharoo 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-08-02, 10:16 AM (EST)
5. "Seeing the forest thru the trees."
D.R., respectfully I say you are failing to see the forest thru the trees. I don't think ANY ofthe Chuay Gahn are starving per se. They just aren't eating the high calorie, fat saturated American diets that they are used to eating. They are on the purest form of the "Cave Man Diet" and as one who has been on a diet for the past 5 years can tell you, once you cut out the fat, sugar, carbs and additives the weight just melts off. Tanya's weight loss was rapid due to dehydration not lack of nutrition.

Snoocharoo

Q 2569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

10-08-02, 01:14 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Seeing the forest thru the trees."
Totally Agree about Tanya, and in my post I clearly state that she was VOMITING and DEHYDRATED (i.e. massive water loss, and remember, Humans are 70 % water).

I disagree however that they are not "starving". They cannot be on much more than 500 calories per day, while at the same time they are sweating in the heat, having to treck to get water, compete in athletic challenges, hike around, etc. so their activity level is fairly high (I'm not saying they are running around and swinging from vines all day long (LOL, ROBBBBBBBBBBB) but they are not totally sedentary 100% of the time like on bed rest.

Anyway thanks for replying to my post. I also agree that since the CGs had the most "fat" they will have the largest Weight loss regardless of their stays on the Island. Penny, Shii Anne, Erin, Steph, and Jed did not have much weight on them to begin with, while...

Ted, Ghandia, Helen, Clay, and Jan all could lose some weight at the start of the game and would therefor have the largest weight loss, again regardless of how long they last.

D.R.

wendyp 2081 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

10-08-02, 11:05 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Consider these items..."
Thanks for the post Q! Hope I am understanding you post correctly.

Initially, starvation mainly causes a decrease in body fat, rather than skeletal muscle. If starvation progresses over a long period of time, more muscle tissue will be lost and the individual will begin to experience loss of body muscle or “wasting.”

This comment would also explain why we are not seeing the hugh weight loss on the SJs. The SJ are physically in better shape then the CG. The SJ do not have a high % of body fat, so their weight loss would be less.

I am not saying that Ted does not make it far, but this does give us a reason on why we have not heard about SJ weight loss.

WildEel 48 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-08-02, 12:06 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Consider these items..."
First post here at SB, but a lurker since Mid-S2, please go easy on me

I doubt that any member of CG would be willing to have a tie, especially if the know what happened to Pappy last season. With no individual immunity, everybody in the tribe would be forced to pull a rock out of the bag.

Why go through the risk when Helen and Jan could easily get rid of Ghandia, who is weaker than Ted and way more untrustworthy as she proved last episode. Helen might be trying to stir up some trouble to keep herself safe, but I seriously doubt that she would push a tie in an attempt to oust Ted.

I'm assuming that the tie-breaker rules are the same as last year, correct me if i'm wrong.

Boilermaker 260 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-08-02, 12:40 PM (EST)
9. "Tiebreaker"
The Tiebreaker rules have not been discussed and as we learned last season, Burnett is happy to change them whenever people think they know the rules. I would hope that the rock out of the bag is gone, with all the negative criticism. We will not know the tiebreaker rules until a tie occurs.

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-02, 02:41 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Consider these items..."
Very interesting Q,

I was wondering if the supposed weight loss spoilers were actually spoilers. Even the folks in losers lodge are probably not chowing on super-sized extra value meals, right? So if you were kind of flabby to begin with, wouldn't you probably still come home with some weight loss just from being ever there?

I don't think Ted goes anytime soon however, I think he makes it to at least the final four.

woof, woof

"It's just a show, I should really just relax..." mst3k

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-02, 12:15 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Is it possible Ted is next to go?"
I do believe Ghandia goes before Ted. She is still very upset with him. I think part of her anger is that he outlasts her in the game. I think she would be acting much more laughingly towards him if she outlasted him.

And I do agree that his weight loss means he remains for awhile. But it does not mean he lasts till the final 4. For all we know MB offered big money incentives to any booted player who lost weight after being voted off. Remember Peter? He came back thinner and he was the first voted off. He started working out and running while at loser lodge. MB knows we look at weight loss when the players return. He probably wants the final players to gain it back quickly and the early bootees to try and remain as thin as possible. So I think Ted makes the jury. But he may not make the final 4.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-02, 03:52 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Is it possible Ted is next to go?"
Interesting, but if there is a tie vote it is Ted who would survive the tiebreaker. Strong Ted is more valuable to the tribe than emotionally unpredictable Ghandia. One of the women would change their vote.

But I don't believe it will come to a tie vote. All of the teasers are screaming about a gender division, which means we'll see just enough to suggest this is happening, but come time for TC we'll see a majority vote. And there is too much indicating that Ted stays around and Ghandia leaves for it to be otherwise.

I do agree with you that Helen was shrewd enough to turn Ghandia's accusations into a distraction for the tribe. She said at the last TC that she's constantly worried about how people perceive her, and she's received two votes already.

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-08-02, 04:20 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Is it possible Ted is next to go?"
I believe it is still up in the air regarding prior votes counting against you.

In Tanya's interview/chat or whatever she has been quoted as saying she voted for Helen b/c she did not want anyone else in the tribe to have votes against them.

If it were a tie between Ted and Ghandia, Ghandia has a previous votes against her from John and Helen. Therefore, Ghandia would lose.

I am sure if I am not correct in the above statements someone here will enlighten me!LOL

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •