The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-15-02, 09:31 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang"
Please post in this thread any spoilers, speculation or information you may come up on Shi Ann Huang, 28, executive recruiter, New York, NY

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang weltek 08-15-02 1
   RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang MattyMax 08-15-02 2
 RE: Contestant #8 -- Shii Ann Huang diamond 08-15-02 3
 RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang survivorscott 08-15-02 4
 NY Post article SurvivorBlows 08-16-02 5
 RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang ejm92 08-20-02 6
   RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang MakeItStop 08-21-02 7
 UC Berkley Student Newspaper articl... SurvivorBlows 09-04-02 8
   RE: UC Berkley Student Newspaper ar... dabo 10-07-02 9
       RE: UC Berkley Student Newspaper ar... ejm92 10-07-02 10
           RE: UC Berkley Student Newspaper ar... dabo 10-09-02 15
   RE: UC Berkley Student Newspaper ar... Outfrontgirl 10-08-02 12
       RE: UC Berkley Student Newspaper ar... Outfrontgirl 10-08-02 13
 RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang phonarr 10-08-02 11
   RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang Outfrontgirl 10-08-02 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-02, 09:34 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang"
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-02 AT 09:59 AM (EST)

Luxury item is her lucky traveling bag from China. She is single.

Shii Ann Huang was born in Taipei, Taiwan, and immigrated to the United States via New Jersey when she was eight years old. Two years later, she moved to Mesa, Arizona, where she became a state champion speech and debate competitor during high school. In her spare time, she also raised a prize-winning sheep for Future Farmers of America.

After high school, Shii Ann attended the University of California, Berkeley where she earned a Bachelor of Arts degree (with honors) in English Literature. She then moved to New York City, where she received a Master's degree at New York University/Tisch School of the Arts' Interactive Telecommunications Program. She is currently employed as an executive recruiter. She previously worked as a web producer and an advertising account executive.

Shii Ann enjoys meeting, matching and organizing people (which makes her job interesting). She also enjoys snowboarding, cooking, salsa dancing and singing karaoke. Her perfect day will be when she purchases a loft with an enormous chef's kitchen in downtown Manhattan.

Shii Ann currently resides in New York City with her slightly obese cat, Simon. She is a member of the University of California, Berkeley Alumni Association. Her birth date is January 24, 1974.

MattyMax 515 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-15-02, 03:52 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang"
I think I recognize her character, a smart asian overachiever(?) (Berkley (cum laude), HS Debate + Sheep raising IN HER SPARE TIME). She is an aquarius, on the cusp with capricorn. The aquarius will keep her thinking and moving and trying, and the capricorn is a workhorse (think KATHY). A thinker, not a feeler (Thank Baal)

MattyMax

diamond 2307 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

08-15-02, 04:14 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Contestant #8 -- Shii Ann Huang"
I did a google search using the spelling of her first name with two i's (see weltek's post with the official biography), and found some stuff on her:

She produced some animated short films that got pretty bad grades from this website:

http://filmson.com/CDA/Listings/CastCrew/1,1396,0~6424,00.html

She's also featured in this essay by some guy she knew who was trying to get a job in a movie theater.

http://www.thesimon.com/life_as_loser/67.html

It might provide a little insight into her personality:

For some reason, in the distance, I heard a vaguely familiar voice. I stealthily rotated my head right, keeping my eyes down, and there, with a date, was Shii-Ann Huang, former producer at Novix Media, my old employer. To be honest with you, I’d never fancied Shii-Ann the brightest bulb in the office - she wasn’t in any particular danger of breaking the top 10, really - but we’d never really had any personal battles or knock-down, drag-out fights. That said, I hadn’t seen her since we’d all been fired and I’d written an article about our time at Novix that she might have found somewhat less than flattering.

Of all people to show up ... I’ve always fancied myself the type of person with no shame, no pride, not so high-falutin’ about professional matters. Who cares what you do for a living, or how much money you make, or whatever? I figure I’m a pretty nice guy and don’t have that much to be embarrassed of.

But Shii-Ann had never struck me that way, and for some reason, she made me realize I wasn’t either. An old colleague, one with whom I’d had creative differences, five months after we parted ways ... she runs into me while I was applying for a job at a movie theater.

survivorscott 2191 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

08-15-02, 05:00 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang"
The local CBS affiliate in Orlando, WKMG, said that her nick name was "She Devil". Although I can not find any refrence to it anywhere.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

08-16-02, 02:17 PM (EST)
5. "NY Post article"
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/11226p-10623c.html

This sounds like "Liz kicks butt"

The other New Yorker vying for the game's $1 million jackpot is executive recruiter Shii-Ann Huang, 28, who immigrated from Taiwan to New Jersey when she was 8. She's also the first Asian-American contestant on "Survivor."

Huang earned a bachelor's degree in English literature from the University of California at Berkeley and a master's degree in interactive telecommunications from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts.

"Her persona is tough, but she showed a sense of humor in tape and she knows how to tell a good story," Probst said.

-SB

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings

08-20-02, 07:00 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang"
Saw a quick little video byte of Shii Ann on Extra this evening, she was shown saying that the men on this cast are by far the best looking Survivor cast ever.......this proboably means she watches the show, and I wouldn't be surprised if she knows strategy......seems like a very smart girl, as I thought.

MakeItStop 1098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-21-02, 12:30 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang"
Actually, quite a few of the Survivors list Survivor as one of their favorite TV shows. Along with Shii Ann, Ghandia, Helen, Jan, Penny, Tanya, Clay, Jake, John, and Ted list Survivor.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

09-04-02, 02:06 PM (EST)
8. "UC Berkley Student Newspaper article"
http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=9300

Excerpts:

A frequent traveler, Huang told her friends she was going on a trip to Thailand to "find herself." Little did they know the self-named "She-Devil" was actually going to compete for $1 million on the reality television series "Survivor."

"CBS found Shii Ann Huang to be a type A, charming, intelligent person who was looking for the adventure of a lifetime," says CBS spokesperson Colleen Sullivan.

Huang is known to her peers as someone who will never step down from a fight, especially during her term on the ASUC Senate in 1993 as a member of the Union of Cal Students party.

Huang was actively involved with the Berkeley College Republicans and the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Alliance at UC Berkeley.

"She was always very outgoing," says close friend Genoveva Knifong, who lived across the hall from Huang at Cheney Hall in Unit 1. "(Huang) was very much the life of the party."

"One thing I know about her is she is very smart and a bright person," she says. "I would imagine she would be very good at anything she put her ends to."

Adam Becker, a close friend of Huang, says she chose to study out-of-state at UC Berkeley because of its "wild, rebellious and vibrant" atmosphere, which many say match Huang's personality.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-07-02, 05:22 PM (EST)
9. "RE: UC Berkley Student Newspaper article"
bumping this for anyone interested

Could "she hates us" have another meaning besides Steph's position relative to the dominant Sook Jai?

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings

10-07-02, 05:26 PM (EST)
10. "RE: UC Berkley Student Newspaper article"
I seriously doubt it...Stephanie doesn't seem like the sexist or even racist type to me, from things we have heard and observed about her, she seems like a free spirit...I think it's just about her relative position in the tribe.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-02, 10:18 AM (EST)
15. "RE: UC Berkley Student Newspaper article"
If the she Shii was refering to was Stephanie, then I agree, Stephanie is unlikely to foster such attitudes. Same goes for Erin, the other exhibitionist. But if the she Shii was refering to was Penny the darksider, then maybe, because darksiders will use anything they can, IMO. Personally, I hope homophobia doesn't come into play again (as it did in a previous series), it was just a potential I couldn't ignore.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-02, 06:40 AM (EST)
12. "RE: UC Berkley Student Newspaper article"
LAST EDITED ON 10-08-02 AT 07:40 AM (EST)

dabo, thanks for bumping this cause I had missed it.

Reading that Daily Cal article was quite a shock and a time warp for me.
It turns out that Shii Ann was an English major at U.C. Berkeley during the same time frame that I was in the Ph.D. program in the English dept there, so I have no doubt we passed in the halls and my friends graded her papers.

A few things jumped out at me:

I didn't realize Shii Ann is lesbian or bisexual, but it's not very likely she would belong to the GLB Alliance otherwise. No wonder she and Robb don't get along, as she seems to be a hyper-educated activist and he would barely know a cause from a---hmm, a causeway?

Anne Cheng, the professor who gives Shii thumbs up is one of those brilliant newly hired (back then) assistant profs, Lacanian theorist as I recall, and she wouldn't have been impressed with Shii unless the girl was really smart. To stand out in that group of over-achievers, she would have to be very articulate, hard-working, and yes, very Type A.

All those political bodies she was part of--
I was glad to read she had no real interest in being a senator, as the Berkeley ASUC sucks; as I recall they had to threaten to take the bookstore away from their management because they ran it into the ground. My impression of the people who were involved in student government there was that they were self-involved and out of touch with their importance, and most students were totally uninterested in the elections; the big incentive to vote was a textbook discount of 5%, LOL.

What I can be sure of is that Shii was VERY good at multi-tasking to juggle so many organizations and still pull honors in English at Berkeley (which requires a 40-page honors thesis full of brain-bending literary theory). She probably had 40-60 hours a week of academic work on her plate, got A's, and still had time to go to tons of meetings and party. She likely learned how to cut corners and do some things half-assed and on the fly; otherwise you don't get it all done.

OTOH, she picked a couple of areas to apply herself, managed to get a prof to mentor her in the midst of that zoo, must have spent a ton of time sitting on her tush on the cold hard floor of Wheeler Hall, cause that's the only way to get to talk to a professor during office hours. She stuck it out and got her recommendations to go to grad school. So she's persistent and driven.

This woman is not lazy! However, I can't see how this Berkeley-NYC saturated woman would manage to relate well to the others on her particular tribe. Her background is too different and she would have to act fake to try to fit with the Texas alliance (except she has that Republican affiliation--might help).

She's not going to be able to hide her difference from them, although I imagine she's had a lot of practice learning when to be assertive around power figures and when to shut up--another survival skill one has to learn to get honors in Cal's English department.

Of course, she's not allowed to drink coffee in Thailand, and that's the main sustenance for making it through Cal. Poor thing--deprived of cigarettes AND expresso. That's just harsh.

Edited for lame typos...
please forget I mentioned being an English major...

10-08-02, 07:36 AM (EST)
13. "RE: UC Berkley Student Newspaper article"
A course description by Shii's prof to illustrate typical issues and vocabulary to which Shii Ann would have applied herself at Cal. Think of the gap between this extreme and talking to the Dude, and also note that the article in the Daily Cal mentions Shii's focus on acting and role-playing.

Also she is questioning what it means to be an Asian-American/to become an American citizen, and in general is questioning and critiquing traditional "norms"--including heterosexuality.

Special Topics: No Bodyís PerfectóRace, Comedy, and the Marriage
Plot in American Films
A. Cheng

Course Description: This course examines how comedy in American cinema has been enlisted to stage race, sexuality, and their conjunction in twentieth-century America. We focus on a traditional anchor in the comic vision of social integration: the "marriage plot." In spite of its promises of respectability and stability, marriage or the prospect of marriage in the films that we will examine seems to constitute the very site of gender, racial, and social mayhem. Furthermore, these confusions frequently coincide with another "threshold" question: the question of citizenship, of what it means to be or become an American. Marriage is thus a place where love and nationhood come to exorcise their demons, a task that produces humor as well as failure, exuberance as well as disarray.

Taking the marriage plot as the communal narrative through which sexual, racial, and national tensions negotiate their conflicts, this course will analyze films made by, and sometimes about, Jewish Americans, African Americans, and Asian Americans, as well as movies from mainstream Hollywood (screwball comedies from the forties and fifties) that do not, at first sight, seem to thematize race but are in fact working through the racial and sexual troubles haunting the formation of the nation. We will also expand our investigation into marriage beyond the traditional notion of a union between a heterosexual couple to other permutations, including variations on the marriage of convenience, the green card marriage, the arranged marriage, and "marriage" between men. The goal of the course aims, not at "racializing" humor, but at an exploration of how humor presents a social strategy for mediating different ethnic groups' specific histories and relations to America.

Films include: His Girl Friday, The Philadelphia Story, Some Like It Hot, Night at the Opera, Monkey Business, Hannah and her Sisters, Boy! What a Girl!, Bamboozled, Beverly Hills Cops, Eat a Bowl of Tea, Living on Tokyo Time, The Wedding Banquet.

Weekly film viewing attendance is required in additional to class time. Required critical and theoretical readings will accompany each screening assignment.
------------------
Anne Cheng (Shii's mentor at Berkeley)
General Research Interests: 19th and 20th Century British/American Literature, Asian American Literature
Special Research Topics: Psychoanalysis, Race and Gender, Critical Theory, Film Theory

http://english.berkeley.edu/persons/faculty/cheng.html
for a list of her published work

phonarr 29 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-08-02, 05:04 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang"
Has there been a comparison of the pics of Shii Ann at tribal council that came out a while ago with the TC pics at Jed's booting? since S5 hasn't started in Australia yet I have to live vicariously through these boards, but I havn't yet seen it discussed anywhere.

10-08-02, 07:43 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Contestant #8 -- Shi Ann Huang"
I believe the exact shots of the TC pics were visible in Episode 3. I don't have a link for you though. So those pics are a done deal.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •