The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What Is Tina's Motivation?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyatollahKhomeini 2008 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-28-01, 03:45 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"What Is Tina's Motivation?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-28-01 AT 03:45 AM (EST)

Last week, Webby started a thread to questions why we hadn't seen any of Colby's reaction to Amber's ousting. I speculated at the time that Colby probably gave away motivations or thoughts that would be relevant in predicting the person booted on a subsequent show...which to me was additional evidence that Colby wasn't booted this past week.

Yesterday I posted a question about what else we haven't seen that might be relevant and help with analyzing the finale. In thinking about it today, I realized that, while we know a lot about Colby's motivation, and we know a lot about Keith's motivation, we know next to nothing about Tina's motivation.

Colby thinks he has an alliance with her, which is why he said that Liz and Keith were on their own. Keith says that he feels isolated from everyone. But Tina? Does she share the same commitment to the "Texas-Tennessee Alliance"? Or is she planning to get into the final against the weaker opponent, if she can? Or did I miss something?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Tina may take Colby... sleeeve 04-28-01 1
   RE: Tina may take Colby... Loree 04-28-01 3
       RE: Tina may take Colby... PepeLePew13 04-28-01 4
       RE: Tina may take Colby... sleeeve 04-28-01 10
 RE: What Is Tina's Motivation? volmel 04-28-01 2
   RE: What Is Tina's Motivation? SurvivinDawg 04-28-01 5
       RE: What Is Tina's Motivation? volmel 04-28-01 6
           RE: Like the winner mavsfan 04-28-01 7
               RE: Like the winner volmel 04-28-01 8
                   Since you asked sleeeve 04-28-01 11
                       RE: Since you asked volmel 04-28-01 12
 RE: What Is Tina's Motivation? GG 04-28-01 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-28-01, 04:55 AM (EST)
1. "Tina may take Colby..."
LAST EDITED ON 04-28-01 AT 05:22 PM (EST)

First of all, I posted the majority of the following analysis in another thread, but I think it is relevent to this thread as well, so I'll repost here...

MB has stated we will like the winner this time, but he also says that he does not know who the winner is. Many people think that this is a contradiction, but I disagree...

I think that SOMEONE knows the winner... there has been talk about segment producers... specifically, there is a producer that is in charge of all Tribal Councils... we know from Mitchell's speech that when the tie vote came up, there was a lot of turmoil at TC, and the producers were on the phone for quite a while, clarifying the rules. I think that it is likely that they had to call MB, who can't be everywhere at once, and whose job is to focus primarily on the overall story... he may have been at TC, but not necessarily at ALL TC's... editing the footage that is already shot is a more important task, than being there to witness the live vote, which he can easily watch on tape later.

So let's assume for a second that after the votes were cast, the segment producer in charge of TCs counted and verified the votes, then locked them up, and MB and JP have chosen to remain in the dark... I know this is a big assumption, and I don't really believe that MB would miss the final TC (read season finale) for any reason, but let's assume he isn't lying for just a second...

If he actually does not know the winner, then I think we have to assume that his "you will like the winner, this time" comment means that he will edit the final two so that the public likes BOTH of them... now, to us spoilers (read over-analyzers), we know that all of the Survivors have serious faults, but to the average viewer (I know a lot of them), there is a pretty strong concensus that they will like the winner at this point, as long as it is not Keith... therefore, along this line of reasoning, Keith cannot be the winner.

In the last episode, we saw Tina and Colby (plus Lizzy) treating Keith as an outsider and a loner... I think that their alliance is being shown as strengthening

I remember posting a big thread a month ago explaining why there is a C/T alliance... then I was talked out of it, especially when Amber and Colby voted for Keith Rodger, while Tina double crossed them... In hindsight, I wonder if this was insurance that Keith had more past votes than Colby, so that C/T could prevent Keith from running off and joining Lizzy this week... it would definately explain why we have heard little about Colby's opinions on that TC and why we have heard almost nothing about Tina's strategy.

On the last episode, we heard Colby say "the only one I won't vote off is Tina". This could be strong foreshadowing of what is to come... perhaps too strong... thus Colby probably will not get the chance to win immunity and take Tina to the finals...

What if Tina wins the final IC... Keith seems like a shoe-in, but Tina takes Colby to the finals... ties up a lot of loose ends:

"I want the good guys to win" -Tina
"My loyalties are to Tina" -Colby
"That was the hardest thing I've ever had to do" -Tina giving up to Keith in an endurance challenge (which is likely for the final IC)
"Do I want to be against someone that I can beat, or someone that deserves the money, even if I lose?" -Colby
"My game with Keith is over." -Colby
"ultimate betrayal" -CBS previews

These were used as red herrings in other episodes, so they may have already been played out, but taken as a group, they seem to indicate that C/T could be in the final two...

Also, Tina still has not acknowledged an alliance with Keith... only he has mentioned it!

Even if Colby wins the IC, I see him choosing Tina over Keith for the above mentioned reasons.

Now, for those of you that feel that speculation must be coupled by spoiler material, try this on for size... (I stole this from a comment made by AyaK last week, so hope he doesn't mind)...

Remember the famous opening credits... there were two pictures shown at the end... one of them was apparently Amber, apparently wearing Lizzy's immunity headdress. The other appears to be Keith.

Remember last season... the spoiler was the people who were missing from the photo... maybe the final two are the ones that make it to the final four, but are not shown in that segment of the opening credits... Keith is shown, and Lizzy's headdress is shown... Colby and Tina are conspicuously missing... could it be that they are the final two???

Now the question remains... WHO WINS???

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-28-01, 11:45 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Tina may take Colby..."
When did Colby and Amber vote for Keith? I don't remember that. I remember they voted for Rodger together. But I don't remember Colby ever voting for Keith.

I think both Colby and Tina want that money so badly that they would stab anyone in the back to get it. If facing Keith in the final 2 is the way to win. They will pick Keith over each other. That will be the ultimate betrayal. One of them will betray the other when they take Keith into that final 2. Now will that lose them a vote? Would the other then vote for Keith over the person that betrayed them? Or would they agree that they would have done the same thing and still vote for their friend?

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-01, 12:07 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Tina may take Colby..."
Colby and Amber has never voted together for Keith. Amber did vote for Keith once, way back when Bitchell got the golden boot in the tie-breaker with Keith in Ep.4

To this date, Colby has not once voted for Keith. In case anyone's wondering... none of these three has voted for each other in past TC's.

I'm now leaning towards believing what MB said, "We will like the winner" -- assuming, of course, there IS a lockbox. For this prediction that we'll like the winner to come true, Keith must be voted out in 3rd place because the editing has not made him look like a good guy all along, except for the one time where he proposed to his girl. You can make the case that Colby and Tina has been generally likeable (lots of hugging, the mother-like figure, etc.) so either of them would be seen as "pleasing" to the general viewing population. Sure, there's been lots of manipulating and backstabbing... but THEY ALL do it in order to win and I think the general population will recognize they played the game very well while trying to remain likeable. Richard came across as an arrogant jerk much of the time so that didn't set well with many people.

Tina and Colby has consistently shown themselves to be likeable. I would be satisfied with either of these two as the ultimate winner... so I think this satisfies MB's statement that he doesn't know who the winner is and also that there's a lockbox.

"I tell ya... something stinks here"

04-28-01, 04:59 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Tina may take Colby..."
>When did Colby and Amber vote
>for Keith? I don't
>remember that. I remember
>they voted for Rodger together.
> But I don't remember
>Colby ever voting for Keith.

You're right, of course... I meant to type Rodger, but that's what I get for writing and editing at 2am... thanks for catching my typo, but it does not change any of my theory... in fact, I'm gonna go back and edit the original right now.

>I think both Colby and Tina
>want that money so badly
>that they would stab anyone
>in the back to get
>it. If facing Keith
>in the final 2 is
>the way to win.
>They will pick Keith over
>each other. That will
>be the ultimate betrayal.
>One of them will betray
>the other when they take
>Keith into that final 2.
> Now will that lose
>them a vote? Would
>the other then vote for
>Keith over the person that
>betrayed them? Or would
>they agree that they would
>have done the same thing
>and still vote for their
>friend?

Just a thought... maybe that's why we'll like this years winner... maybe whoever wins immunity would rather have ther friend win than taking the easy way and giving Keith second place... that would make either of them hugely popular with the audience.

volmel 362 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-28-01, 10:31 AM (EST)
2. "RE: What Is Tina's Motivation?"
Ayak, so glad you started this. I was thinking of this very same subject this morning.

A gut feeling with me is there are several factors to Tina's motivation. She is a very competitive person, who likes to win. She is from one of the wealthiest families in Knoxville. So I wonder with Tina if it isn't about the money so much as the competitiveness.

Tina has bothered to find out about her fellow contestants. We have seen her flat out ask Rodger what she know of Lis's financial situation as a marker in a way for her to vote. I think she realizes that Keith is probably a successful chef.("I've cooked for presidents") and what Colby does for a living. Remember Colby's comment, "I've never had a new car before". I think Tina notices these things.

If the Final IC is one of endurance, (which it could very well be), I can see Tina doing very well in that. Remember how she did on the standing on the pole IC. So I can see Tina winning final immunity and choosing to take Colby with her (this may be seen as "the ultimate betrayal" to her "good buddy" Keith).

Tina's husband has supposedly stated, "we're satisified with the money Tina got there", which makes me think she suspects she doesn't win. This, in my mind points to a final with Colby. Again, I feel it's more q competitiveness for Tina and the million might not mean that much to her as it would someone who needs it more (Colby). And perhaps getting to the final two would be enough to satisfy that competitiveness. It could be she takes her chances with Colby over Keith so in case she loses, someone she feels is deserving will get the money.

(Also, never underestimate that bond that fellow southerners have )

This is Big Orange and Tina Wesson country.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-01, 02:25 PM (EST)
5. "RE: What Is Tina's Motivation?"
And NEVER, EVER underestimate that bond shared by those wearing Tennessee Orange! Right, volmel?

Don't believe me? Just ask anyone wearing Alabama Crimson, Florida Blue (and Orange) or Georgia Red and Black.

Back to spoiling: Tina's motivation is clear. It's not orange, but green, as in GREEN DOLLAR BILLS. Her husband would be satisfied with 100 grand. He'd be more satisfied with 1000 grand (that's a million, for you Tennessee graduates ). Tina's ploy talking to Rodger like that was just to get jury votes.

This note is for everyone, not just volmel: We need to carefully evaluate MB's comment about liking the winner, and we need to strip away all the layers of spoiler crap that have piled on top of it.

He said we'd like the winner. HOW did he mean that? Would we all say "Yeah, I'm glad that person won!" , would we say "Yeah, that person is the better of the two finalists!", would we say "Yeah, this person is much better than Richard Hatch in S1."

I believe MB knows who won. I further believe that he's saying that we'll like the person relative to Survivor I's winner. He may think Tina is going to be a popular winner as an older female beating all those young hunky males to take the prize. Or he may be in love with Colby himself (which would explain a LOT of what's going on, including his jealousy leading to Mom's wallet disappearing! okay, just kidding) and think we'll all love it if Colby wins.

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

"I've never been bored a day in my life. Only boring people get bored." -- Jerri Manthey

04-28-01, 02:49 PM (EST)
6. "RE: What Is Tina's Motivation?"
>And NEVER, EVER underestimate that bond
>shared by those wearing Tennessee
>Orange! Right, volmel?

As my husband always says, "Every woman looks beautiful in orange.

>
>Back to spoiling: Tina's motivation is clear. It's not orange, but green, as in GREEN DOLLAR BILLS. Her husband would be satisfied with 100 grand. He'd be more satisfied with 1000 grand (that's a million, for you Tennessee graduates ). Tina's ploy talking to Rodger like that was just to get jury votes.

I don't know. I kinda disagree with you there. I think she really wanted to know who could use the extra money more by staying to the final 4 and voted accordingly.
>
>He said we'd like the winner.
> HOW did he mean
>that? Would we all
>say "Yeah, I'm glad that
>person won!" , would we
>say "Yeah, that person is
>the better of the two
>finalists!", would we say "Yeah,
>this person is much better
>than Richard Hatch in S1."

I wish I remembered when he said we would like the winner this time. If he said it at the beginning of the season, then we might find a clue there. He tapes the show and starts editing it. Things are going along fine. Then out come the articles of Colby getting arrested. And all the web sites and newspaper articles saying Tina is a backstabber and "we don't want her to win". If one of these 2 is the winner, uh oh. We might not like this winner. So back to more editing to get the desired effect to go along with this statement. Hence all the sappy background music and all the lovey dovey stuff we saw on there this past week. Therefore, I'm wondering if this is his maniuplation to get his stated objectives for his season finale.

mavsfan 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-28-01, 03:12 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Like the winner"
Looking at the cbs website under polls, there appears a likeability rating as voted on by the public.

The scale goes from 0 - disliked to 10 loved.
Tina's score is about 6.5
Colby's score is about 6.4
Keith score is about 3.8

IF there is a lockbox and MB doesn't know who wins (skeptical) then the comment that we would like the winner could only be made if the final two are Cobly/Tina.

04-28-01, 03:16 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Like the winner"
Thanks mavsfan. Very interesting. I wonder how the ratings compare to say 2 weeks ago. It would be interesting if they had jumped for Tina and Colby because of this past week's episode.

04-28-01, 05:18 PM (EST)
11. "Since you asked"
Here's the week-by-week poll results of the three characters...

Yellow = Colby
Green = Tina
Blue = Keith

The higher on the graph, the more likable, the lower on the graph, the less likable...

As you can see, Colby has been well-liked all along, despite winning challenges.

Tina has taken leaps upward, since she had her little talk with Rodger about who deserved the money more.

Keith, on the other hand, has remained steady until recently when he took a plunge in the ratings... he took his worst loss of the season last episode, despite all of the sentimental stuff...

Clearly if the audience is gonna like the winner, it's gotta be Tina or Colby... for reference, here are all of the contestant's week-by-week poll ratings...

You can see that the only four contestants liked less than Keith are Mitch, Kimmi, Debb, and Jerri (in that order, Jerri worst), while the only three liked more than Colby and Tina are Mike, Lizzy, and Rodger (in that order, Rodger best).

04-28-01, 06:25 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Since you asked"
Wow sleeve, that's great. Thanks a lot. Interesting. I thought Keith would have gone up in the last episode. I guess I was one of the few that felt sorry for him when he got the pictures of his children and had to step away.

GG 142 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-28-01, 04:27 PM (EST)
9. "RE: What Is Tina's Motivation?"
To my mind, it's very simple. Tina's motivation, as is Keith's and Colby's is the million dollars - nothing less. If she really wanted a worthy winner, her last vote would have gone to Keith and not Elisabeth.

This is not a loyalty issue either, it's a matter of convenience for Tina and how she can best position herself to win. Which is exactly what she's done. It is possible that she is a genuinely caring person but all the bonding and heart-to-hearts she's had with the likes of Liz, Rodger and others was just a very effective pretense, paving the way for their votes in the jury. I reckon that the caring, concern and time of day she's given will score points.

The same could be said for Colby. He clearly dislikes Keith but figured out that he represented the best chance possible to land the money. There is no justifiable arguement for keeping him unless you plan to use him in the final two. I strongly believe that the alliance between Colby and Tina has gone as far as it can. Both understand that the lure of the prize has to override any relationship. Indeed, the very reason why Rodger and Elisabeth had to go. Business is business, and they'll accept that as the way the game has to be played. Expect a very keenly fought final IC, which, effectively, is the $1m 'decider'
between Tina and Colby.

One suspects too that Keith is aware of the fact he's got little chance against either Colby or Tina. He even lent a voice to his concerns.

I would be very surprised if this is not how things turn out. Everything Tina and Colby have done thus far has been geared towards the sole purpose of using Keith as bait in the final jury.

P.S. We'll never know, but had Colby not won the last IC, he would have probably been booted. On the other hand, I suppose Keith might be been just as likely since going up against Liz, you'd want a stronger competitor to try and win that last IC. And had Colby won that IC, he would have chosen Tina (and vice-versa). But I can't see it happening now.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •