The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Haven't seen it here, but anyone watching "Hoarders"??"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-07-10, 10:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Haven't seen it here, but anyone watching "Hoarders"??"
I have a lot of compassion for the mentally ill, and as a nurse, have worked with many people who have been in different states of mind. I, myself, as most of us, struggle with issues.

But, I have to say, this hoarding issue is something that just goes beyond anything I can comprehend. I cannot imagine living in squallor, filth, animal/human feces, urine, etc.

And, one thing I noticed that seems to be the 'norm', is that most of these people have no running water or access to their bathrooms, which raises another icky question for me....one of the psychologist last night ACTUALLY came out and asked, 'what do you do when you have to go???'. To which, the horder answered, 'I have places close by I can use'. OK. Does that mean the bushes, a walk to McDonald's, a hole in the field??

I don't even want to ponder..AND upon watching the reunions a year later, there is little, if any progress. In some cases, it is worse.

I don't want to be judgemental. I just don't get it. I suppose I swing closer to the OCD dept. where I could wash my hands 40 times a day, dust the TV off 10x, etc. I DO live in the desert, and there's tons of dust, but I'm not that compulsive, believe me.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, questions, statements on these shows?? Any particular horder grab your attention more than others? I think my 'favorite' or I'd have to say the most devious was Adelle-the lady whose husband finally left her, and when she went to therapy, she was taking things out of the therapist's garbage can! SHE was something else!

I wonder what she is doing now...

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Haven't seen it here, but anyon... riverrocker 09-10-10 1
   RE: Animal Horders mindy23 09-12-10 2
       RE: Animal Horders riverrocker 09-14-10 3
 RE: Haven't seen it here, but anyon... kidflash212 07-10-16 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

riverrocker 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-10-10, 08:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail riverrocker Click to send private message to riverrocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Haven't seen it here, but anyone watching "Hoarders"??"
Have taped "Hoarders," but haven't watched the new episodes yet. We do, however, watch "Hoarding: Buried Alive." I have researched about the illness and found that the show is good at presenting the different types of hoarders. It is both amazing and sad to see how such folks live.

Only sadder is that I actually know a few people who are like those presented in the shows. It is obvious, though, that the person must acknowledge there is a problem and actively seek help for it before there can be any chance for improvement. Hoarding becomes as addictive as any chemical dependence. Of the people whom I know that have such a condition, I am not seeing any chance for improvement at this time because they won't admit they have a problem with "stuff"--that is WAY beyond "clutter." It is definitely sad.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-12-10, 07:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Animal Horders"
There is also the "Confessions of an Animal Horder", which is also quite facinating. The thing that really amazes me is how they become totally immune to the sites and smells of the animal feces and urine!

Just seeing all that ICK on the camera makes me want to put my dinner away-really! I can't even imagine how horrid it must be to walk into someone's home and have that hit you in the face. One of the animal cops said that the healthy level for ammonia (urine contents) was around 7 or so. And the man he was checking had levels up to 60+! And all of them, of course, have respiratory problems, from the dander, the ammonia, the fur, etc.

Just so sad. I absolutely love my dogs, and can see how lonely a person can get since I've become so isolated after going on disability. But I'm just too much of a clean-freak to let that happen. At this point in time, anyway.

Before my mom died, she had collected-or they had collected her-around 20 cats. She did NOT allow them in her house, but they were in-breeding, and were being born with partial ears, eye infections, etc. But she just refused to acknowledge that! It was really odd, but also very very sad. They gave her a sense of belonging and being needed.

riverrocker 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-14-10, 02:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail riverrocker Click to send private message to riverrocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Animal Horders"
LAST EDITED ON 09-14-10 AT 02:38 PM (EST)

Yes, I have watched "Animal Hoarders" as well. It is indeed so sad. The loneliness that so many of the hoarders feel is really incredible. It would be easy to say, "They just need to get real and move on," but for most they are 'stuck' or 'trapped' in a way of thinking, behaving, and living that they--for the most part--can't visualize themselves in other circumstances.

We finally were able to watch the "Hoarders" shows we'd taped. Oh my.

After seeing these various shows, it is readily apparent that there are VERY different "levels" and "types" of hoarders. It is also obvious that some are more able than others to make the changes necessary to reclaim their lives; for others, you know that as soon as the camera crews leave, they will go back to their old habits immediately--in fact, may actually be worse than they were when first shown on TV.

I really feel for the family members trapped by such individuals; they appear to suffer severely--often when the hoarder is "blissful" in their life choice or out and out "mean" about keeping "control" in their lives, no matter the cost in relationships.

All I think is what a terrible waste of people, their talents, their time, their abilities, etc.

And, yes, you are right about the "grossness" of where they use "facilities," when so many of the places have no running water, working bathrooms, kitchens, etc.

kidflash212 4616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-10-16, 11:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Haven't seen it here, but anyone watching "Hoarders"??"
I always get grossed out at the vermin scittering through the hoard and change the channel

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •