The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Episode Three Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Beware of Results!)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-27-07, 10:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Episode Three Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Beware of Results!)"
Be nice to our friends on the West Coast and only use this topic until 2 AM EST/11 AM PST to discuss the results of Episode Three. In addition, feel free to use this for general discussion after that period. Hopefully this is enough spoiler space

This episode was very interesting, and I personally thought it was the second week in a row with the wrong choice to go home.

I never was a fan of Micah, but she had a couple really good performances under her belt prior to this challenge. She may have been the strongest female, as she was the only one who seemed to break into the top ranks more than once. To send her home over Sara M., who I didn't even know was in the show until this episode, seems crazy. Their dishes looked equally disgusting and the judges said so, but still.

And for the first time in a long, long time, one of my faith-based picks on a performance based reality show came through like I thought he would. Howie showed tonight he is a real cook, with a Top 3 QF and a win in the main challenge. The Apple Slaw was a pretty great idea. Granted, he got a bit lucky in the QF and everything went right in the main challenge, but still, can't argue with results.

Also, what is with the lack of women in the top ranks? Two of the three challenges were all male (Ep. 1 and Ep. 3). Episode 2 had 2 females, but a male winner. Tonight's QF was an all-male Top 3 IIRC. What gives? Last year was male dominated, but still. Kind of interesting that Hell's Kitchen is pretty female dominated while Top Chef is male dominated, at least so far in both cases.

Hung's shellfish thing seemed a bit overblown to me. His hands were full of shellfish and although he should have gone back to pick it up, it seems like false drama. And can Top Chef afford something better than a dollar store fish net?

I liked the episode on the whole, I'm a sucker for the "normal food" challenges, and it was very nice to see what a couple of them did (and that the judges didn't penalize Dale (I think) for using boxed mashed potatoes is really cool). Still, I think Micah should still be there.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussio... dabo 06-28-07 1
   RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussio... aquariaqueen 06-28-07 2
   Top Chef math PagongRatEater 07-05-07 8
 RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussio... SilverStar 06-28-07 3
   RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussio... geg6 07-03-07 5
       RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussio... Snidget 07-03-07 7
           RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussio... fedcamper 07-15-07 9
 RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussio... anotherkim 07-02-07 4
   RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussio... StarryLuna 07-03-07 6
 Episode Four dabo 07-16-07 10
   RE: Episode Four weltek 07-19-07 11
       RE: Episode Four PagongRatEater 07-19-07 12
           RE: Episode Four weltek 07-19-07 13
               Is this show still cooking? toddE 07-25-07 14
                   RE: Is this show still cooking? arkiegrl 07-25-07 15
                       RE: Is this show still cooking? SilverStar 07-26-07 16
                           RE: Is this show still cooking? weltek 07-26-07 17
                           RE: Is this show still cooking? arkiegrl 07-26-07 18
                   RE: Is this show still cooking? dabo 07-27-07 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-28-07, 01:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Beware of Results!)"
Frankly, I'm glad Micah was kicked off, she was getting on my nerves. Honestly, if you're going to make a healthfood meatloaf wouldn't you at least find out what real meatloaf is?

Hung cracked me up. Two challenges in a row here he lead with his ego, failed, and yet it is obvious he doesn't get it.

Anyway...

Since when did rubber chicken become a favorite American food? Rubber chicken is a traditional feed a lot of bozos at a political dinner mainly because it is tasteless dreck most everyone can at least tolerate food. Healthfood rubber chicken shouldn't have been in the bottom pack, the worst it could manage to be is just as awful as the real thing.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

06-28-07, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Beware of Results!)"
"Doesn't taste like Grandma's chicken....yeah, but Grandma's chicken will kill ya".

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings

07-05-07, 03:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Top Chef math"
Marcel - foam = Hung

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-07, 04:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Beware of Results!)"
Ya know, I've been a huge fan of Top Chef ever since it started. Last season I taped all the episodes and watched them at least 3 times and I read all the blogs and watched all the bonus things on bravotv.com. This season? I couldn't really care less. I don't know what happened. Is it the show? Is it me? Am I just way too wrapped up in SYTYCD to care about this show (since it's on right after, I'm usually still thinking about SYTYCD.)

Anyone else feeling some Top Chef detachment?

But anyway, to keep this on the topic of episode 3, um... I didn't care for Micah and I don't care that she's gone.

I don't even know what Chicken ala King is, so I can't gauge how far away from it Sara was.

I thought they were setting us up for a Dale loss by focusing so much on the fact that he used instant mashed potatoes, so I was surprised to see him be a favorite.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

07-03-07, 09:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Beware of Results!)"
>Anyone else feeling some Top Chef detachment?

Nope, still liking it. But I don't watch SYTYD, so I don't have the comparison.

>I don't even know what Chicken
>ala King is, so I
>can't gauge how far away
>from it Sara was.

OMH, that dish had absolutely nothing in common with chicken a la king other than the fact that both have chicken and vegetables as ingredients. Chicken a la king was a staple dish of my mother's and, to me, it's total comfort food. And her recipe was delicious. And certainly didn't come dry, on a skewer.

This sounds a lot like her recipe. She served hers over homemade biscuits:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_15884,00.html

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

07-03-07, 09:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Beware of Results!)"
My Mom always did Turkey ala King for a meal or two after thanksgiving or Christmas. She did it over toast, but over biscuits sounds extra lovely.

If I wanted to do grilled chicken on a skewer in an updated healthy ala king style I would have done a bed of rice in a pilaf with the peas and celery that Mom used in the sauce in the pilaf and then put the grilled chicken on a skewer on top of that (or just a grilled chicken breast whole) then top with a low fat white sauce.

What she served had no resemblance to chicken in a white sauce with veggies over a starch that is ala king to me.

I would think a white sauce and the variations on it would be something the chefs would have as a skill they could call on, I mean white sauce is pretty basic.

Summertribe and the living is easy!

fedcamper 142 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-15-07, 02:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail fedcamper Click to send private message to fedcamper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Beware of Results!)"
I was thinking she could have done a risooto with peas and a chicken breast with a topping involving peppers/celery/onions, and it would have benn creamy without white sauce. I didn't like Micah either, but with two bad dishes, they shoukd have given her a mulligan for doing so well before.

anotherkim 14419 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-07, 08:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Beware of Results!)"

the girls all seem rather vapid and blah to me. i couldn't care less about any of them. micah was whiney, which only made her worse to me.

i like tall guy, bald howie, cute guy that was immune (brian?) and...and...i think that's all. i don't know very many names at this point and i'm rather bored with the show thus far. i'm ready for project runway.

Kimmah Says
--i'm soooo glad that marcel is gone...but hung has replaced him in attitude.

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-03-07, 09:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Episode Three Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Beware of Results!)"
I still like Hung better than Marcel so far, but we're only 3 episodes in.

I'm also ready for Project Runway. I can only watch my season 1 DVDs so many times...

It's a Syren kind of summer

07-16-07, 09:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Episode Four"
A pretty humdrum episode I guess, since no one has posted about it. What is it about being the sexiest woman in the room not a "judge" that's the kiss of death? And did anyone else get the impression that the dessert crew were there to spare the Two Stooges?

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

07-19-07, 12:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Episode Four"
Ugh, the dessert crew. Pineapple? Seriously, I could think of five better, more versatile, pretty fruits to use if they were bent on fruits. Pineapple. Sheesh.

I'd have sent Casey home instead of Lia. I think Casey's win in the quick fire was the only thing that saved her. Don't get me wrong, I like the girl. I just think she is a wee bit over her head here.

I like the big fellas last night. I'm glad there was something they could shine with. However, I think Howie is over his head in general and will go next. Joey is stepping up and might surprise us.

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings

07-19-07, 12:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Episode Four"
Casey has been a little stronger so far and I think that she has a better chance than Lia in winning. That being said, I really thought it was going to be her going home and would not at all be surprised if some of the decision was based on keeping a more telegenic contestant around.

Agree on Howie, too. If he has to cook something that isn't pork, he is in real trouble. He's been strong recently though, so maybe he can surprise me.

07-19-07, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Episode Four"
I think the judges know that neither Casey nor Lia was going to win this thing, so it was a toss up on who to boot. I liked Lia's idea for a dish, but it just wasn't particularly executable.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

07-25-07, 05:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Is this show still cooking?"
I have to say I have stopped watching this show and deleted it from my DVR, a hall of shame which includes IloveNY and On The Lot, among others.

I keep checking in here to see if maybe there is a reason to watch again, but noo....there certainly isn't.

If I had been told a year and a half ago that I'd still be watching Hell's Kitchen and not Top Chef, I wouldn't have believed it.

People still like this?

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

07-25-07, 07:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Is this show still cooking?"
I'm still watching it, but I think it's more from habit than an actual interest in the show.

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

07-26-07, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Is this show still cooking?"
Yep. Me too. What a disappointment. I used to LOVE this show.

I didn't even watch last night. A reunion show right in the middle of the season? WTF was that all about?

Drinkin' with Ahkie!

07-26-07, 10:41 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Is this show still cooking?"
I used to love this show and had no idea last night was a reunion show. I had a bad night, so went to bed early and missed it, anyway.

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

07-26-07, 01:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Is this show still cooking?"
The reunion show wasn't too bad. It wasn't that great, either, but they had people from the first two seasons along with several of the people who have been eliminated from these season. Harold got to plug his new restaurant, Ilan is still traveling and has too many things going on to open a restaurant yet.

07-27-07, 01:58 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Is this show still cooking?"
I am still watching, there are still some inventive dishes showing up I'd like to try.

On the other hand, this season seems flat. The judging is sometimes very questionable, and the challenges don't seem to be bringing out the best in any of the chefs. Howie and Joey and Hung are getting a lot of screentime, they became predictable and disinteresting. And I really hate that Micah fiddles with her hair at the start of each show, not an appealing trait for a cooking show.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •