The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Grease - bad moral?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Grease: You're the One That I Want Forum (Protected)
Original message

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-19-07, 06:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Grease - bad moral?"
I always loved Grease as a kid. As HD will tell you, I'm a straight man who loves his musicals. But now that I'm older, I really wonder about the moral of the story.

Essentially, to boil it down, you should change to fit in with the cool kids. Don't be yourself, be cool.

Does this wash with anyone else? Is it just the conformism of the time? I am just reading WAYY too much into this?

"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, Religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labour to subvert these great Pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man ought to respect and to cherish them." - President Washington's farewell address.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Grease - bad moral? KObrien_fan 03-19-07 1
   RE: Grease - bad moral? PagongRatEater 03-19-07 2
       RE: Grease - bad moral? KObrien_fan 03-19-07 3
           RE: Grease - bad moral? HistoryDetective 03-21-07 5
               RE: Grease - bad moral? emydi 03-22-07 7
 RE: Grease - bad moral? trigirl 03-20-07 4
   RE: Grease - bad moral? HistoryDetective 03-21-07 6
   RE: Grease - bad moral? emydi 03-22-07 8
       RE: Grease - bad moral? trigirl 03-22-07 9
       RE: Grease - bad moral? PagongRatEater 03-23-07 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-07, 07:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Grease - bad moral?"
You must have missed the end of the story Pre. They both end up changing in order to be with the one that they love. Once they realized that "they go together" and that it doesn't really matter that they have different friends and different backgrounds, everything ends up rosey.

Survivor ASS trivia champion, Survivor 1-13 trivia champion

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

03-19-07, 07:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Grease - bad moral?"
I guess I saw it as Danny trying to change to not be cool failed, whereas Sandy's transformation was a positive one and therefore succeeded.

"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, Religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labour to subvert these great Pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man ought to respect and to cherish them." - President Washington's farewell address.

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-07, 08:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Grease - bad moral?"
But at the very end he had the letter sweater and she was all hot, and true that look was better for her. The key is they each tried to meet each other in a compromise- they each understood that they had to change in order to keep the love of their life. A happy ending for all

smoosh- how are ya?

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-07, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Grease - bad moral?"
Mark your calendar because I am agreeing with PRE.

It's been a while since I watched the film, but I thought that Danny ditched the letter sweater as soon as Sandy became a burnout. He abandoned something that required setting goals and challenging himself; his transformation was not permanent. And Sandy was not accepted until she conformed to fit in with the burnouts --- and I imagine they expected her transformation to remain permanent. If I had children, it's not a film that I would want them to take their lessons from.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-07, 08:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Grease - bad moral?"
well as a little girl in the 70s I can tell you I never got that from the story...I just loved the dancing and singing and the high school kids...I never thought...oh I have to be something I'm not...for kids I think they just love the fun of the show

tribey is my American Idol!

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-20-07, 11:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Grease - bad moral?"
So glad that somebody else feels this way too! It has always been my pet peeve about Grease.

Even as a 10 year old girl at the movie theatre I was p'd that Sandy's compromise is far greater than Danny's. Danny dumps the letterman sweater as soon as he sees she is now a hottie. It always seemed like "oh good, I don't have to change because she will".

Loved the movie. Have never seen a stage production. Love the music. Just hated the ending.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-07, 04:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Grease - bad moral?"
Oops! I should have read to the end of the thread before responding. You said hat I wanted to say in a lot fewer words.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-07, 08:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Grease - bad moral?"
ya know I thought I was a pretty progressive 10 yr girl too (I always remember saying that I wanted to be a doctor HA! bc girls could do anything that a boy could do), but I just loved the singing and dancing...OMH i was a shallow kid

tribey is my American Idol!

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-22-07, 05:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Grease - bad moral?"
but I just loved the singing and dancing

My high-and-mighty attitude didn't stop me for pouring over the double album cover lovingly while singing along to every song.

03-23-07, 07:10 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Grease - bad moral?"
I think that you are pretty much right - there are very few kids with whom the message would sink in on a conscious level. At the end of the day, it IS a fun show with great music and perhaps an undertone of social conformity. It's not going to make me a crusader against Grease, but I might consider a conversation wit my 10 year olf daughter afterwards as well.

"It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.” Patrick Henry

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •