The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Hurting American Idol Ratings"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

SeacrestOut 22 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-14-04, 03:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SeacrestOut Click to send private message to SeacrestOut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Hurting American Idol Ratings"
I don't understand why some posters in here think that the ratings of this show will go down because some of their favorites get kicked off.
I've seen some posters make a post saying that they have "boycotted" American Idol and that "they're not the only ones." And these same posters come back the next week and say the same thing again!
This is rediculous. No one will stop watching it because reguardless of who wins, it's a great show to watch. Not to mention that the ratings and the votes consistantly top themselves each week. Someone went as far as to say that this season will be the lowest rated finale for AI ever. That's absurd. It will be the highest rated. I'd bet $6.76 (the cost of a large pizza at Antoon's in Pittsburgh) that it's the highest.
I have consistantly watched this show all three seasons. There have been contestants I've loved and contestants I've hated. Never once have I voted for anyone. Ever. I don't care who wins because it's an entertaining show nonetheless. If someone is good and doesn't win (Clay Aiken), they'll still get a record deal and you can just buy their albums. (Or download and burn them, because who would waste money on CD's in this diclining economic time)
I'll bottom line this really fast because this is getting long: American Idol is a great show and people will continue to watch it because of that fact, reguardless of who may or may not be voted off.
Comments welcome.
cciranni@adelphia.net
SeacrestOut

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings pheeann 05-14-04 1
 RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings seahorse 05-14-04 2
   RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings JOSHIDOL 05-14-04 3
       RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings SeacrestOut 05-14-04 5
 RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings broodgal 05-14-04 4
 RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings Ricky 05-14-04 6
   RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings jase 05-15-04 7
   RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings SeacrestOut 05-15-04 8
   I just discovered zombiebaby 05-15-04 9
 RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings bob_chester 05-15-04 10
   RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings pheeann 05-15-04 11
   RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings mahjonger 05-15-04 12
       RE: It's all a set up!!+ applesugar 05-18-04 13
           I'm wishing zombiebaby 05-18-04 14
               RE: I'm wishing shedevil 05-19-04 21
           RE: It's all a set up!!+ JOSHIDOL 05-18-04 17
               RE: It's all a set up!!+ Bebo 05-18-04 18
                   RE: It's all a set up!!+ JOSHIDOL 05-18-04 19
 RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings ohboy 05-18-04 15
 RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings unitabackup 05-18-04 16
   RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings applesugar 05-19-04 20
 RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings unitabackup 05-19-04 22
   RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings calamityc 05-20-04 23
       RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings seahorse 05-20-04 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

pheeann 101 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-14-04, 03:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pheeann Click to send private message to pheeann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
And that is your opinion. I agree the ratings probably won't drop. But I have absolutely no interest in who wins at this point, and won't be tuning in.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-14-04, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
LAST EDITED ON 05-14-04 AT 04:00 PM (EST)

You are absolutely right. If you care enough about the show to spend time discussing it on this forum, you are not likely going to quit watching because your favorite performer got voted off the previous week.

The ratings are better when there is some uncertainty as to who is going to be voted off on a given week than if we know the exact order the contestants will be voted off in. Right now people can not wait to watch to see what will happen next. I think that the AI ratings for the season are the highest they have ever been.

If we believed the judges comments to be accurate prior to Wednesday night, the final 4 would have been

4) Jasmine
3) Diana
2) Fantasia
1) Latoya

And that would not have been as fun as it will probably turn out.

JOSHIDOL 275 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-14-04, 04:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
They actually have been coming in 3rd instead of 1st in one of the time slots.
They also said the week after John Steens went home they had 2 million less viewers. That was down from 26 million to 24 million, last week they had 22 million viewers.
So it does seem like some people are not tuning in anymore.

05-14-04, 07:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SeacrestOut Click to send private message to SeacrestOut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
My point is that the ratings are on a steady incline. One thing is for sure is that American Idol is consistantly number one. The only week they weren't was the week the show was pushed back a day for the president's speech. On top of that, their ratings on a weekly basis, even if they did drop to 22 million this week, which I don't believe to be true because I just read in PR Week Magazine that a record 33 million tuned in this week, that is still higher than last year's finale, which was last year's highest rated show.
And for some that aren't in the television business, I'll give a crash course on ratings and how they work. Ratings often fluctuate, as there are only 500 Neilson Boxes in each region of the US that measure who whatches what. These few thousand people represent the entire US tv-viewing population so ratings often fluctuate from week to week, especially when viewers range in the high millions. What most execs and produces are concerned with is what "share" the program gets. A share refers to the percentage of the entire tv-viewing population that is watching your show.
So for an outrageously blown out of proportion example: if, for some reason, American Idol's audience dropped to only 10 million viewers, but only 12 million people were watching tv at that time, their "share" would be incredibly high because 5 out of every 6 people watching tv during that time were watching american idol. That would translate to an 83 share (5/6), which never happens, hense the "outrageously blown-out-of- proportion example."
So while the ratings may fluctuate, the viewership of Idol over other shows is rediculously dominant. The latest numbers indicate that Idol leads in ratings with every demographic and the smallest margin of victory is with males ages 18-35 and they still lead that demographic by 18%.
If any of that didn't make sense, feel free to comment or ask.
cciranni@adelphia.net
SeacrestOut

broodgal 79 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-14-04, 05:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail broodgal Click to send private message to broodgal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
Unless someone has a nielsen box, they really arent gonna affect the ratings by not watching it. People will watch no matter what. I know i posted somewhere saying i won't watch next year but i will!!

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-14-04, 09:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
I'd bet $6.76 (the cost of a large pizza at Antoon's in Pittsburgh) that it's the highest.

That sounds like a good deal for a large pizza. Is it good ? Sometimes Little Caesar's has large pizza's for $5.00 but their pizza stinks.

jase 187 desperate attention whore postings

05-15-04, 01:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jase Click to send private message to jase Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
The ratings for Wednesday show were (14.1/20-- 22.44 million, source- mediaweek.com) and for Tuesdays show they were (14.8/22-- 22.59 million viewers, source- mediaweek.com) which, if I'm not mistaken, is low in comparison to last year's numbers during the same time period (the 1st season of AI can't be factored in because it aired during the summer).

As one of those who said I wouldn't be watching anymore (this year and maybe next year) and that ratings would drop, there's proof that, compared to last year, this year's numbers are down and the finale (depending on the final two) could be higher than the 1st AI, but lower than AI2. So I stand by what I said on a symbolic level (I don't have nielsen box) and I don't care who wins and never really have since the beginning of the season.

05-15-04, 02:50 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
Hi. I'm Preston Ciranni and I endorse this message.
It is delicious. One of the best and most satisfying pizzas you will ever eat. I highly recommend it to anyone who has the chance to try one.

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

05-15-04, 09:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "I just discovered"

Papa John's pizza and I really enjoy it. Love me some meat lovers!

One more of J Slice's Awesome Creations!

Finding pizza more interesting than half the topics here

bob_chester 243 desperate attention whore postings

05-15-04, 01:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bob_chester Click to send private message to bob_chester Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
LAST EDITED ON 05-15-04 AT 01:04 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-15-04 AT 01:01 PM (EST)

SeacrestOut I don't understand it either

Overall network ratings have been falling that last 10 years as more choices (cable channels, new networks) and alternatives
(Pay per view, DVDs.) Become available.

American Idol Tuesday is number 2 and American Idol is number 4 for the season. They are the only 2 shows in the top 15 for Fox. http://www.zap2it.com/television/news/ratings/season/
FOX is pretty happy about that. NBC moved episodes of Friends and Frasier to compete against it and it still did well. You know it is not about quality it is about ratings.

Does it really matter? People still watch, I keep seeing on this board that people are going to stop watching but then next week they pop up after watching the show and give their “opinions.” People just love to be unhappy and love to bi… about it.

I did not see the show this week, but I love to watch it when I can and watch people’s reactions. I know sometimes I like to work people up about it. Lol It is part of the fun.
Since, I have no favorite (because hey all the contestants are at best mediocre), it is fun to watch people defend there favorites. To bad I missed this week, darn that would have been so fun to watch. Jasmine crying, people voting to save duck voice, bouncing boobies Fantasia, instead of Latoya and then complaining about. Must have been a great week, well there is always next time. Oh it is so wonderful!

Looking forward to AI4! Praticulary the auditions. This is great free entertainment when there is nothing better to do!

pheeann 101 desperate attention whore postings

05-15-04, 02:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pheeann Click to send private message to pheeann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
Here I am, a non-watcher for the remaining part of this season, giving my opinion again. LOL

I, too, look forward to AI4 and the auditions. In past seasons, it's the only thing I watched!

mahjonger 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-15-04, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mahjonger Click to send private message to mahjonger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
You're so right. It's just great entertainment...and especially when things are turned upside down as they were last week. Predictability is boring. This is fun. Besides, I looooove the kids.

applesugar 68 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-04, 07:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail applesugar Click to send private message to applesugar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: It's all a set up!!+"
I think it's all a set up from the very beginning. I think when it comes down to the final 12, they are instructed on who's going. We all know that Jenn and Toya should still be there, right? But that's it. It's just too right. So the producers spices it up causes a controvercy and get people who never whathces the show wondering, Wow whats going on I have to watch that. It's like Who Shot Jr years ago. Some of you may be to young to remember that. Anyway thats how I'm looking at it. I think it's all a set up!!!

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-04, 09:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "I'm wishing"

Oooh...I just loved Dallas!

Maybe the producers will pull the same stunt like they did with Bobby and tell us that this whole season was only a dream and JPL, Jenn and LaToya will all come out of the shower in the season finale.

One more of J Slice's Awesome Creations!

"You don't need pants for the victory dance"

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-19-04, 01:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: I'm wishing"
Oooh...I just loved Dallas!
Maybe the producers will pull the same stunt like they did with Bobby and tell us that this whole season was only a dream and JPL, Jenn and LaToya will all come out of the shower in the season finale.

I would pay to see that!

05-18-04, 11:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: It's all a set up!!+"
I totally agree that they know what rotation each singer is leaving. Isn't it so coincidental that each season a person who was considered to be a frontrunner for American idol got voted off at the 4th or 5th spot.
I also thought it was strange when I heard Simon say last night that if the show were to go as planned and each week the worst person left, how boring of a show that would be.
So I think he was practically giving it away.
I actually will be surprised tonight if Fantasia does not go home, from the way they were talking it sounds as they are setting up her exit.
I noticed nobody is talking about going to her home town. They supposedly last week sent Jasmine and a film crew back to Hawaii and also Georgia with Diana. Never heard a word about Fantasia.
That would seem to me that if Jasmine and Diana are in the Final 2 they will have the same show next Monday like they did for Clay and Ruben.
If it does turn out this way and it seems it may then you can bet your last dollar the show is planned out well in advance.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-04, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: It's all a set up!!+"
>I noticed nobody is talking about going to her home town.
> They supposedly last week sent Jasmine and a film
>crew back to Hawaii and also Georgia with Diana. Never
>heard a word about Fantasia.

Consider this a word then. Here's a link to an article from Sunday's Raleigh News & Observer complete with pictures reporting on the visit.

http://newsobserver.com/features/sundayjournal/story/3591113p-3192773c.html

I won't copy the whole article here, but it mentions receiving the key to the city in front of 1,600 fans.

Have whip, will travel.

05-18-04, 02:09 PM (EST)
19. "RE: It's all a set up!!+"
Thanks, never heard or saw anything about this and ws wondering. I assumed they had gone to all 3 of their hometowns.
I guess that means we will have to sit through another Ryan Seacrest special next Monday or as David Letterman called him last night "that weasel Brian Seagraves"..

ohboy 168 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-04, 09:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ohboy Click to send private message to ohboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
I think you are wrong i didn't even tune in last week think it's a nuts I mean you are watching to see the talented people get ahead. It's like a game show gone bad. I think the voting shoudl be left to the judges. I will not be tuning in tonight or for the finale.

unitabackup 175 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-04, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail unitabackup Click to send private message to unitabackup Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
LAST EDITED ON 05-18-04 AT 11:33 AM (EST)

I'm going to watch and root for Jasmine to win because if she does win the show (IMHO) will lose all credibility and nobody will ever watch the finals AGAIN. Buwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Besides, who cares anymore. They're obviously NEVER going to change anything because you can't BUY publicity like what IDOL has been getting the past few weeks. I say watch if you want for kicks and don't get emotionally involved (yeah, that's going to happen).

applesugar 68 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-04, 08:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail applesugar Click to send private message to applesugar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
zombiebaby - That was so funny!! and a good idea. Hey we can get together and write AI4!

unitabackup 175 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-04, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail unitabackup Click to send private message to unitabackup Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
from drudgereport.com

FLASH: 'AMERICAN IDOL' AUDIENCE DROPS FROM PREVIOUS WEEK... SHOW FAILS TO BUILD GOING INTO FINAL WEEKS... 14.0 RATING/21 SHARE DOWN FROM 14.8/22... STILL TAKES FOX TO #1 ON TUESDAY...

calamityc 1041 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-20-04, 01:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail calamityc Click to send private message to calamityc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
This was interesting on the ratings, controversy usually helps them. I wonder if Fox is milking the cash cow just a little too much?
I may be positively the only one who feels this way, but tonight's show just went on too long for me. I don't like their attempts to stretch a show just to prolong their ratings ride.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-04, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Hurting American Idol Ratings"
One of the reasons that the ratings might have dropped is that they have had a final five special and a final three special in the last few weeks, so that the over-saturation of the show is having an effect on viewership.

Additionally if you listen to the judges , there was no way Jasmine could last another week, so the show was predictable in its outcome.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •