The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Apprentice versus Rebel Billionaire"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Apprentice General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

frodo2 289 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-10-04, 11:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodo2 Click to send private message to frodo2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Apprentice versus Rebel Billionaire"
I think Rebel Billionaire can give Apprentice a run for its money. Thankfully, they're on different days. I think RB will probably attract the Fear Factor audience as well as much of the Apprentice audience. That combination could be enough to give the show the highest ratings.

Then only thing that's not so good is that the tasks aren't really business oriented. You can't learn anything about business from seeing someone rappel off of a hot air balloon.

Who plans to watch it? Why or why not?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Apprentice versus HistoryDetective 11-10-04 1
   RE: The Apprentice versus frodo2 11-10-04 2
 RE: The Apprentice versus ARnutz 11-10-04 3
 RE: The Apprentice versus BOYmeetsREALITY 11-11-04 4
   RE: The Apprentice versus HistoryDetective 11-11-04 6
 RE: The Apprentice versus ladro 11-11-04 5
   RE: The Apprentice versus DHerder222 11-11-04 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-10-04, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Apprentice versus Rebel Billionaire"
Hey frodo2! I don't recall seeing you around here much recently, but it's good to have you back!

I watched Rebel Billionaire last night just out of curiosity. I had some of the same reaction that you did, though I hope that the Fear Factor stuff will be kept to stunts and not cross over to really gross food challenges. (Eating exotic local dishes I can handle; drinking a blenderized rat - well, not so much.)

Anyway, I think that RB is trying to see what the various extreme sports challenges reveal about each person's character and how they deal with high pressure situations.

Plus, did you see the second hour? They were assigned to a business task of putting together a hospitality kit for first-class passengers flying from Hong Kong to London, so there was an element of business mixed in with the stunts. And RB made a point of saying that the team that lost that challenge deserved to lose because they chose to go sightseeing instead of doing the assigned task.

I think the part that most impressed me was when it came time to eliminate one of two people and a third person (who was safe from elimination) volunteered to leave the show because she realized the experience was more than she bargained for. She reasoned that there was no reason to stick around and take a slot that somebody else wanted if she had no commitment to following through on the next extreme sports challenge. As much as we like to make fun of these DAWs, I thought that showed some ethics and some class.

Plus, all the stunts (especially climbing the side of the hot air balloon and having tea on top) looked like great fun to me.

I was annoyed, however, by all the fake hugging. Two people got eliminbated within minutes of meeting RB. All the women immediately started hugging the eliminated woman and cradling her face. I kept thinking: "None of you even know this woman. The show has just started. Where is this strong emotional investment coming from so early in the game...?!"

frodo2 289 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-10-04, 04:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodo2 Click to send private message to frodo2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Apprentice versus Rebel Billionaire"
I liked the way Branson allowed the players to preserve their dignity when he sent one away. Trump could learn something there.

The other thing I'm tired of seeing is men vs. women challenges. One thing I've learned from reality tv is that women really can't work together. That probably holds them back in business more than sexist opposition from their male counterparts.

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings

11-10-04, 09:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Apprentice versus Rebel Billionaire"
Hi frodo.

There are a lot of people discussing this show in this thread, if you are interested. You will probably get a lot more response over in that forum.

Other Reality Shows Forum

A J Slice original (c)2004

BOYmeetsREALITY 308 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-11-04, 08:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BOYmeetsREALITY Click to send private message to BOYmeetsREALITY Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Apprentice versus Rebel Billionaire"
I don't really see the attraction to "Apprentice" viewers, other than they are both "reality" shows.

I predict "Bran-Rebel" will fail as fast as the "Cuban-factor", mainly because both hosts are relatively unknown to most of America. They have "different" personalitites, and offer little entertainment value aside from a big wallet.

This whole "Billionaire Teaches Common Folk" genre will become so diluted that it's not gonna last much longer.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-04, 06:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Apprentice versus Rebel Billionaire"
I can see your point about "Apprentice" viewers not finding much to love in "Bran-Rebel" but I still think that Branson is a helluva lot more charismatic than Cuban. I didn't like Cuban so I watched just a portion of an episode of his show, but Branson seems like somebody who would be fun to hang out (of a balloon at 10,000 feet) with.

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

11-11-04, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Apprentice versus Rebel Billionaire"
Trump has a clear weight and height advantage. But Branson has a clear advantage in overall fitness and stamina. I'd say they are pretty evenly matached. In a strict wrestling or boxing contest I would give the edge to Trump, but in a more free form matchup I would give the edge to Branson. Good fight either way.

DHerder222 63 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-11-04, 08:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DHerder222 Click to send private message to DHerder222 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Apprentice versus Rebel Billionaire"
I have never liked shows that eliminate people five minutes after the show begins. I find it unfair and cruel. I didn't change my mind after the first episode ended. It might make it to the end of the season, but I doubt there'll be a second one.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •