The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Do these people know to read the clues?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Oscirus 1596 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

04-06-05, 09:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Oscirus Click to send private message to Oscirus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Do these people know to read the clues?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-05 AT 09:47 AM (EST)

They had three teams perform three major game losing mistakes in one episode. Have these teams not learned form the first 7 legs to read the whole clue?

Thank you for giving me honor in hat form.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Do these people know to read th... mrc 04-06-05 1
   RE: Do these people know to read th... Seana 04-06-05 6
 RE: Do these people know to read th... trudy 04-06-05 2
   RE: Do these people know to read th... ftaok 04-06-05 3
       RE: Do these people know to read th... Seana 04-06-05 4
       RE: Do these people know to read th... trudy 04-06-05 5
           RE: Do these people know to read th... ftaok 04-06-05 7
               RE: Do these people know to read th... Swami 04-06-05 8
                   RE: Do these people know to read th... AZ_Leo 04-06-05 14
                       RE: Do these people know to read th... Wheezy 04-06-05 24
               RE: Do these people know to read th... watermelon 04-07-05 27
 Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their ... realitybites 04-06-05 9
   RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in th... ginger 04-06-05 10
   RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in th... ElroyJetson 04-06-05 11
       RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in th... Cleveland Guy 04-06-05 12
           RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in th... ginger 04-06-05 13
               RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in th... nailbone 04-06-05 21
       RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in th... Tahj 04-06-05 15
   RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in th... msquared 04-06-05 16
       RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in th... TerriBlue 04-06-05 18
           RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in th... Drive My Car 04-06-05 22
               Yup, yup, yup realitybites 04-06-05 23
       RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in th... Earl Colby Pottinger 04-11-05 28
   RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in th... romber_team_wins 04-06-05 17
 RE: Do these people know to read th... Devious Weasel 04-06-05 19
 Even if Oscirus 04-06-05 20
 RE: Do these people know to read th... Wheezy 04-06-05 25
 The OTHER extreme AMAZON 04-07-05 26

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-06-05, 09:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"
I gotta agree--how many times have we seen this mistake made this time around? Get a clue,folks.

A Nefarious Dice Creation

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"
> Get a clue, folks.

Yeah, M/G...

Non-clue reading showed up early this season. I voted Lynn and Alex "Most Likely to be Eliminated for Not Reading a Clue" in my first love list. I forget why. This was the reason for B/G's elimination. They didn't read the clue and ended up searching the wrong place for apparently, way too long.

It was pretty sweet when the ass forgot his second donkey last season, though. So it's not all bad.

trudy 171 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-06-05, 09:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trudy Click to send private message to trudy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"
I couldn't believe M/G went to the mat without the clue after they already screwed up like that in the caves and had to go back there. What???

ftaok 40 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-06-05, 09:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ftaok Click to send private message to ftaok Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"
>I couldn't believe M/G went to
>the mat without the clue
>after they already screwed up
>like that in the caves
>and had to go back
>there. What???
I think Meredith/Gretchen realized that they missed the clue. They were trying to be sneaky and get to the mat hoping no one noticed. I even think Gretchen said something to that affect.

When Phil asked how they got there, they knew that their bluff was called. You could see it in their faces.

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"
I know everything. Omniscient, like. Those Racers can't put one over on me.

Welcome, ftaok!

trudy 171 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trudy Click to send private message to trudy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"
Well yeah they knew, no question. But why waste the time it took to find Phil when they had to have learned at the caves that without the clue it was a no fly zone. Possibly they thought they would find the clue at the place that was the pitstop and didn't want to waste time going back without being sure. That's the only thing I can think of.

Couldn't believe U/J missed the word "post" in the clue.

ftaok 40 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ftaok Click to send private message to ftaok Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"
>Couldn't believe U/J missed the word
>"post" in the clue.

The funny thing about that slip-up was that they specifically read the clue and said "remove the post". I think. Then when Uchenna reached the post, Joyce says that they need the ribbon. It's an easy mistake to make in the heat of the race. Hopefully, they'll get these blunders out of the way and race on error free.

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 11:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"
What I don't get is that they sometimes drive for miles while holding these critical clues. The person who is not driving should always check & recheck the clue to be sure they understand and are complying with all the rules. It costs them NO time to do this and is just common sense.

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-06-05, 03:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"
is just common sense

And how often have these teams shown they actually have any common sense? It seems to be a character trait that the producers try to avoid in their casting.

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 09:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"

Ha! Methinks you are right.

watermelon 184 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-05, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail watermelon Click to send private message to watermelon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"
I think Joyce actually told Uchenna, "You have to get the POST" before they found the post, but when they got there, Uchenna said "I have to get the ribbon" and I was waiting for Joyce to tell him, "No, the post, the post!" but she never did. I didn't understand that, because they/she clearly comprehended the clue the FIRST time they read it!

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-06-05, 02:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their shoes"
I'm reluctant to criticize these people for misinterpreting their instructions. The teams are all short on sleep and possibly food, they've got teams whizzing by them left and right, and perhaps they're worn down by constantly dealing with strangers and strange tasks in strange lands. It's natural to assume their reading comprehension skills take a dive under those circumstances.

But it sure does look bad, doesn't it?

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 02:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their shoes"
It seems like READING is the last resort for a lot of folks.

Yet, it's fundamental!

ElroyJetson 586 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-06-05, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ElroyJetson Click to send private message to ElroyJetson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their shoes"
What amazes me is how they go all this distance without going to the bathroom!

That can't be healthy.
--Elroy

Cleveland Guy 153 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 02:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cleveland%20Guy Click to send private message to Cleveland%20Guy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their shoes"
They are on TV - it's magical.

About the only people to ever go to the bahtroom on TV I think have been Homer Simpson and the cast of Seinfeld (which of course makes itself into an episode)

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their shoes"
You left out Archie Bunker. The Bunker toilet was famous.

And now we return to our regularly scheduled program.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 06:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their shoes"
The first to actually be heard flushing, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, and it's pronounced terlit.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-06-05, 04:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their shoes"
Of course they go. They don't get described as pissin' and moanin' for nothing.

Moves courtesy of Syren

msquared 25 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail msquared Click to send private message to msquared Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their shoes"
Lack of sleep? They just had a 12 hour pit stop. They had a wonderful night under the stars with all the food they could eat.

Don't give me that.

What happens is that when they go back and read the clue when there is a problem, they see what they want to.

I work in sales and when I put a lead time on quote of 3-4 weeks the customer always puts a 3 week lead time. When I call and tell them that it might be 4 weeks they complain that the quote said 3. When I have them get the quote out and read it to me they all go "Oh I didn't see that the first time." Even though they saw the three weeks.

msquared

TerriBlue 147 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 04:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TerriBlue Click to send private message to TerriBlue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their shoes"
Teams have the 12 hour pitstops, but they don't get to sleep the whole time. They have hours on hours of interviews with the camera crew and hosts. Then they have to eat, plan for tomorrow and unpack for the night, repack in the morning, clean themselves off as best as they can, refill water bottles, etc. At this stage, they probably also had to hand wash, wring and dry their clothes. After all that stuff is done, they probably have 6 hours of sleep, tops. Add the fact that the 'night under the stars' was on a dusty hard terrain, with the noise from wild animals in the background, 90 degree plus weather and no bathrooms or running water in sight, and you've got the camping trip from hell. Every racer that has ever been interviewed has said the schedule is hell and they were absolutely exhasuted, pitstops or no pitstops. So I can see careless mistakes happening quite easily, especially since the racers are rushing so much.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 07:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their shoes"
That last pitstop in the middle of nowhere looked terrible.
( Though I'm not much of a camper, so maybe it just looked horrible to me)
I agree that most teams wouldn't have gotten a nice relaxing rest stop under those conditions.
The race itself is also stressful and draining.

But that said, these are the kinds of conditions that separate the really good teams from the rest of the pack.
Teams that double check the clues, know the rules, take an extra minute to buy a map at Airports, ask for directions, tend to do better. It's part of the Race to be on your game.

I do think that when teams are tired they make more mistakes, we all do, but that's all part of the game.

I think we can expect to see more simple mistakes as it goes on.

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-06-05, 09:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Yup, yup, yup"
>The race itself is also stressful and draining.
>
>But that said, these are the kinds of conditions that separate
>the really good teams from the rest of the pack.
>
>Teams that double check the clues, know the rules, take an
>extra minute to buy a map at Airports, ask for directions, tend
>to do better. It's part of the Race to be on your game.
>
>
>I do think that when teams are tired they make more mistakes, we
>all do, but that's all part of the game.
>
>I think we can expect to see more simple mistakes as it goes on.

I agree on all counts.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-11-05, 03:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their shoes"
Tell me about it. I do computer repairs, and a large percentage of service calls would never be done if people just read what is in front of them.

I have been on calls for printers that do not work, only to arrive and see in BIG GLOWING LETTERS the words "Out of paper in tray". And when you point this out and prove that all it needed was paper by putting it in I get, "But I already know how to do that, you are not going to charge us are you?".

Other people complain the user manual is no good, when I ask them to read the part that they don't understand or what I say answers thier problem, what they read aloud are not the words on the paper. Even after I point out thier mistake and ask them to SLOWLY and CAREFULLY read the manual word by word, they still read back something diffirent than what is written down.

I even once guided a customer's finger word by word to get him to read it properly and he still changed the words. I had to force him to reread the word three times by preventing him to more his finger to the next word to get him to see his mistake.

Insulting yes, however this customer came in on a Monday yelling he spent all weekend trying to get "this piece of crap" (his words) to work, and he was going to sue us unless we not only refunded the money for the part but also money for the time he wasted over the weekend.

An entire weekend and he could not read the sentence once the correct way, his day job - Nuclear Plant Reactor Monitor.

romber_team_wins 23 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-06-05, 04:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail romber_team_wins Click to send private message to romber_team_wins Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Racing a mile (or 40,000) in their shoes"
>I'm reluctant to criticize these people
>for misinterpreting their instructions.
>The teams are all short
>on sleep and possibly food,
>they've got teams whizzing by
>them left and right, and
>perhaps they're worn down by
>constantly dealing with strangers and
>strange tasks in strange lands.
> It's natural to assume
>their reading comprehension skills take
>a dive under those circumstances.
>
>
>But it sure does look bad,
>doesn't it?

You make all valid points but what happends when teams make up things in the instructions that are not even there? Like when the brother was climbing the water tower? LOL.
The instructions said the clue would be under the water tower, not inside. So the brother climbing up the tower was nothing more than a waste of time and thus cost them the race.
Where is a high lighter when you need one.? CHECK!
They totaly blew it. READ PEOPLE! READ!

" Holy Cannoli ! "

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 05:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"
In the case of the brothers, I'd imagine they were still shaken up from what happened in the previous leg of the race. So I'll grant them a little leeway.

Uchenna and Joyce and particularly Meredith and Gretchen (considering their previous clue-reading failure) get no breaks from me.

Oscirus 1596 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

04-06-05, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Oscirus Click to send private message to Oscirus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "Even if"
One factors in all of these things people should be used to it by now the stupidity speaks for itself each time:

U\J misread the clue and dam there almost got another penalty at the end due to Joyce's insistence upon getting out and trying to help out on a roadblock

G/m not only did they completely ignore the fact that they needed another clue to get to the end but they also stopped at the water tower albeit not as long as the brothers

The brothers climbed up the frickin tower Even if they did misread the clue shouldn't the fact that there was no flag there have been a big time clue that they were at the wrong place.

Thank you for giving me honor in hat form.

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 09:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Do these people know to read the clues?"
You know, the EASIEST part of the race is reading.

I give no one slack for not reading the clue properly. That's just stupid.

AMAZON 98 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-07-05, 01:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AMAZON Click to send private message to AMAZON Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "The OTHER extreme"
All of this talking about reading the clues reminds me of the OTHER extreme.

Remember the twins (Kami& Karli???) from TAR5??

Remember how they tried soooooooooooooo hard to comprehend the simplest clues? Man that team was a hot mess! but they were soooooooooooo funny!

Maybe all the teams are trying to avoid looking like the ditzy twins.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •