The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Editing... Seeing the true colors"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Apprentice General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Wolfcat 84 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-05-04, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wolfcat Click to send private message to Wolfcat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Editing... Seeing the true colors"
Hi,

I'm new to this board and think their are many of you with some great speculations. I wanted to point out that Jen's recent "cattiness", Kevin's "pass the buck" actions and some recently revealed traits of others may very likely have been highly evident natures of these folk from day one. However Burnett has set the standard (at times with some very PO'd ex-contestents) for editing for something like a bell curve in his shows.
I'm interested in how others feel this imapcts what we are seeing and what we "think" we know about this years candidates.

Couple of side notes here.
A. I am not seeing anything near the level of perceptiveness on Trump's part on the character of his candidates. I see this most clearly demonstrated in how a losing team can so readily take out a PM, much easier (it seems) than last season. Of course... editing may be partly to blame. He's made some odd remarks about some of the members that don't equate well to wat the broadcast has shows IMHO.

B. I'm with most of you who are absolutely irked by the blatant boardroom overdubs! It's like some horrible broadcast student project and not acceptable for prime-time network.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Moving to General Discussion Forum AyaK 11-05-04 1
 Seeing the true colors What 11-05-04 2
   RE: Seeing the true colors Wolfcat 11-05-04 3
       RE: Seeing the true colors DHerder222 11-06-04 7
       Rob Burnett What 11-07-04 19
 RE: Editing... Seeing the true colo... DHerder222 11-06-04 4
   RE: Editing... Seeing the true colo... Wolfcat 11-07-04 8
       RE: Editing... Seeing the true colo... DHerder222 11-07-04 12
 RE: Editing... Seeing the true colo... lrlr1 11-06-04 5
   RE: Editing... Seeing the true colo... jae 11-06-04 6
       Seeing the true colors What 11-07-04 18
   RE: Editing... Seeing the true colo... Wolfcat 11-07-04 9
   RE: Editing... Seeing the true colo... amea_gari 11-07-04 10
       RE: Editing... Seeing the true colo... Pepito 11-07-04 11
           RE: Editing... Seeing the true colo... gnosis92 11-07-04 15
       "true colors" frodo2 11-07-04 13
           RE: "true colors" gnosis92 11-07-04 14
           RE: "true colors" What 11-07-04 17
           RE: "true colors" amea_gari 11-07-04 20
               RE: "true colors" frodo2 11-08-04 22
                   RE: "true colors" amea_gari 11-08-04 23
                       RE: "true colors" Wolfcat 11-09-04 24
       RE: Editing... Seeing the true colo... What 11-07-04 16
           RE: Editing... Seeing the true colo... jae 11-08-04 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-05-04, 08:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Moving to General Discussion Forum"
This post does not address spoiling issues, so I'm moving it to the Apprentice General Discussion Forum.

What 209 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-05-04, 08:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail What Click to send private message to What Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Seeing the true colors"
Don't you think Rob compares to Burnett? I do.

11-05-04, 09:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wolfcat Click to send private message to Wolfcat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Seeing the true colors"
I never saw the first episode (I live in Florida and had no power for ten days courtesy of 'Ma Nature' when it aired) so I really know very little about Rob. I DO know he looked like he probably deserved to still be in the game more than at least a couple of others.

How is Rob "like Burnett" ?

DHerder222 63 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-04, 09:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DHerder222 Click to send private message to DHerder222 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Seeing the true colors"
"I DO know he looked like he probably deserved to still be in the game more than at least a couple of others."

I agree. He *is* one of the worst males, but that still makes him better than about half of the females.

11-07-04, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail What Click to send private message to What Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "Rob Burnett"
LAST EDITED ON 11-07-04 AT 02:55 PM (EST)

He just has the same qualities. Just a hunch. Perhaps Rob is a younger version of Burnett.

Trump keeps mimicking Rob's smile when he enters the boardroom, a little creepy without creative license.

What if Trump stole the show from Burnett, but kept Burnett's name in the credits as a cover? Burnett gets sued for stealing the show from that man in the news recently, so Trump gets everything, and Burnett potentially loses everything, even his future in television.

11-06-04, 03:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DHerder222 Click to send private message to DHerder222 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Editing... Seeing the true colors"
"However Burnett has set the standard (at times with some very PO'd ex-contestents) for editing for something like a bell curve in his shows."

Do you know of any specific instances where ex-contestants spoke out publicly against Burnett? I wasn't aware of any other than the occasional Omarosa comment.

11-07-04, 00:51 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Editing... Seeing the true colors"
LAST EDITED ON 11-07-04 AT 00:54 AM (EST)

I guess I'm basing it on some of the "losers" comments from a couple of the early Survivor series. Nothing so bad as a legal action would be warranted, but I think most have heard post interview contestents explain that editing at times makes context look odd to those who were there.

11-07-04, 09:50 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Editing... Seeing the true colors"
Ah, I remember now. Stacey of the original Survivor filed a lawsuit saying the producers conspired against her.

lrlr1 512 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-06-04, 05:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lrlr1 Click to send private message to lrlr1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Editing... Seeing the true colors"
>I wanted to point out
>that Jen's recent "cattiness", Kevin's
>"pass the buck" actions and
>some recently revealed traits of
>others may very likely have
>been highly evident natures of
>these folk from day one.

Give some examples of your commentary about Jen M and, especially, Kevin. These two have more integrity than all the others combined.

jae 412 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-06-04, 06:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jae Click to send private message to jae Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Editing... Seeing the true colors"
Speaking of seeing true colors, I think Sandy looks good in black.

11-07-04, 02:49 PM (EST)
18. "Seeing the true colors"
What does the color black mean to you?

11-07-04, 00:53 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Editing... Seeing the true colors"
I should be clearer that I was basing that on others posts here and elsewhere and comments from friends. Personnaly I'm in the majority ( it seems) and like Kevin from what I have seen. Jen.. I'm really not sure about Jen. She's been in a train wreck of a team and wants to win as much as anyone.

amea_gari 585 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-04, 04:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail amea_gari Click to send private message to amea_gari Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Editing... Seeing the true colors"
Jen M has integrity?
I'm going to have to disagree. The past two tasks have certainly allowed us to see her "true colours". The way she attacked Elizabeth, and then Ivana, displayed a remarkable amount of conceit. She never gave Elizabeth a chance. She was ready to tear her to pieces from the get go, and was gunning for her failure.
How about telling Kevin that she would willingly take Ivana down, and then proceeding to go into the room where Ivana was reading, and try to absolutely tear her apart? Hct ow about the smug manner in which she did so? How about the fact that she was making it all up to begin with, as indicated by Carolyn saying she witnessed Ivana working hard?
Jen M may have been leading the pack this entire time, taking out the weakest member like you cull the sick antelope from the herd. But in this case, the sick antelope, the weakest member, is not necessarily the most despicable person. I had reserved my opinion of Jen M, because you don't see what a person's true nature is until it has been tried. I'm thoroughly disgusted with her.

A J Slice siggy

Pepito 587 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-04, 08:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Pepito Click to send private message to Pepito Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Editing... Seeing the true colors"
I agree wtih you, amea_gari!

Jen M was originally a bit of an enigma to me (like Sandy), and I believe that editing can distort or control our opinons. We are far enough along now that I tried to use actual events...'Facts', since we know that they are true regardless of editing, and then to try to figure out what they may mean... in other words, to obsess more about my favourite reality show:

The restructuring of Apex & Mosaic

1. Jen M. chose to send Sandy as her first pick to leave Apex.

Why? She chose Sandy even over Stacy R, whom we already knew was a troublemaker. The only thing we saw of Sandy by that time was that she was that Jen C. had chosen to spend time with her after the Restaurant Challenge, while the rest of the group was elsewhere in the suite coniving. So Sandy was not part of the plotting group and it appeared that Jen C. had made the approach to Sandy, because Sandy was stretched out on chaise lounge & Jen C. was pearched on the ledge, which makes me think that Sandy was their first. What we have actually seen in later episodes (The Dog Challenge, The Long Island Real Estate Challenge) is that Sandy is a very hard worker. Also, she was not brought into the boardroom in those earlier challenges, from which I can infer that she must have worked very hard then, too, regardless of the editing.

2. Jen M's 2nd choice to leave was Stacy R. And Maria.

Well, we know that Stacy R was trouble. It may also have been a power play on Jen's part, send off the other good arguer so that she is now the most determined on her team. She sent off Stacy R. over Ivana or Elizabeth, yet in later challenges, she has had nothing but venom for both I & E, so it wasn't that she was impressed with them that controlled her choice to keep them, and send Stacy & Sandy packing.

Maria is just too sensitive, stuck up, and twitchy. Not a hard enough worker, either.

3. Wes chose to send off Raj & Kevin. And Chris.

Raj has so many high jinks, you either love him or hate him. I don't think he rubbed Wes the right way. Raj can be straightforward in his personal dealings (I mean, he asked out both Anna & Robin with cameras rolling...). His performance in the boardroom in the Long Island Real Estate Challenge shows this very clearly. He can also be very conving (encouraging Apex to take out Pam, plotting with Jen M.) He is such a complicated person it makes him unpredictable.

But why Kevin? Kevin can be outspoken, but honest. He takes his issue directly to the person involved (Elizabeth in the Police Challenge & Elizabeth in the Stacie J. firing issue), and is not political or coniving, as he was ALONE while Mosaic was discussing boardroom strategies after the High Fashion disaster. He is aparently a hard worker, though, as he has not been brought into the boardroom much, and never for work slacking.

Got rid of Chris because he is not the hardest worker and is obnoxious, but not evil.

4. Apex was a mess and continued to be a mess.

Apex was a mess of intrigue and unnecessary complications and inabiity to work together from Day One, and it continues to be so. We know this, Chris announced it in the boardroom. Sandy, Stacy, & Maria are gone. Elizabeth is gone. Kevin, Raj, & Chris all came Mosaic, where such corruption (in spite of Raj) was not rife. The only two constants are Jen M & Ivana. It takes 2 to tango, Ivana can't do it alone, and what we saw in this last challenge on Jen M.'s part as probably been going on for a long time.

My conclusion is that Jen M. is a troublemaker who usually knows better than to act up in front of the cameras. I think that her time will come, and she will be in the Loser Motel soon. Both Maria and Sandy will survive her. I'm disappointed, but there you go. Sorry for such a long post.

gnosis92 78 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-04, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail gnosis92 Click to send private message to gnosis92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Editing... Seeing the true colors"
hi Pepito

good discussion, and dumping raj and chris was a no-brainer.
i am curious as to what you think of
wes decision to KEEP kelly and andy OVER kevin.

kelly is very coniving as any Apex witch. "if we lose it's andy's fault. if we lose it's sandy's fault."

i think wes made a BIG MISTAKE dumping kevin over kelly.

andy is a hard worker, but unlike kelly, a TEAM PLAYER.

>But why Kevin? Kevin can be
>outspoken, but honest. He takes
>his issue directly to the
>person involved (Elizabeth in the
>Police Challenge & Elizabeth in
>the Stacie J. firing issue),
>and is not political or
>coniving, as he was ALONE
>while Mosaic was discussing boardroom
>strategies after the High Fashion
>disaster. He is aparently a
>hard worker, though, as he
>has not been brought into
>the boardroom much, and never
>for work slacking.

frodo2 289 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-04, 10:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodo2 Click to send private message to frodo2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. ""true colors""
I always thought this was an interesting phrase. It betrays a mindset that believes that people are only showing their true selves when they exhibit the dark sides of their character.

In truth, I believe people are what they are. The good side and bad side are but aspects of the same individual, and neither is the truest

gnosis92 78 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-04, 02:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail gnosis92 Click to send private message to gnosis92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: "true colors""
>I always thought this was an
>interesting phrase. It betrays a
>mindset that believes that people
>are only showing their true
>selves when they exhibit the
>dark sides of their character.
>
>
>In truth, I believe people are
>what they are. The good
>side and bad side are
>but aspects of the same
>individual, and neither is the
>truest

good point, except normal people go to great lengths to hide or supress their dark side, so true colors may refer to how easily or how readily the dark side surfaces

11-07-04, 02:47 PM (EST)
17. "RE: "true colors""
I think a good way to define what's more true about a person's character is what predominates over time and how consistent you are when placed in different situations.

Then you are definitely a mixture of both, but if your dark side happens to become aroused when the topic of abortion comes up, then your dark side isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I think when your dark side convinces you to become a danger to yourself and others, that's a huge red flag that indeed, you are a broken person.

11-07-04, 06:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail amea_gari Click to send private message to amea_gari Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: "true colors""
Actually it's a pretty universal concept that a man or woman's real nature comes out when they're in the fire. The crucible, if you will.
It's easy to be even tempered and kind and good when everything is going well, when everybody likes you, when you want for nothing. It is when you are under pressure that your character is put to the test.

A J Slice siggy

frodo2 289 desperate attention whore postings

11-08-04, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodo2 Click to send private message to frodo2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: "true colors""
Actually, it's not a universal concept, and even disagreed with by psychologists. A person's dark side, or "shadow" is only evident about 10% of the time in a normal person, and is always weaker in judgment than the normal person.

Read here for information:

http://www.iloveulove.com/psychology/personality/perstypestress.htm

11-08-04, 05:38 PM (EST)
23. "RE: "true colors""
I disagree on all counts. The link you provided doesn't negate the concept, either.
If a person crumbles under stressful circumstances, or displays dangerous or unprofitable personality traits, that person is not ultimately capable of competing in circumstances where survival of the fittest is an issue. In our current society, comparatively weak individuals are supported by the strong. It's human nature to do so, or if not human nature, it is a cultural ideal (in MANY cultures). Our current environment of plenty, in America, where most people have more than they need, causes society to begin to focus on personality traits that manifest in times of plenty.

With regards to the Apprentice, however, the job is a stressful one. Those personality traits that manifest under stress, in the crucible, as it were, are more important.

A J Slice siggy

11-09-04, 09:23 AM (EST)
24. "RE: "true colors""
As I was the person using this term here...
I was assuming the common useage and not the semantic definition. Sorry for any confusion.

Also, I don't assume true colors to always mean a negative. Example: Sandy. Early episodes had her mostly under the radar and generally recieving comments as a bit of a frat girl and "look I'm busy while doing little" (See comments on her fruit arranging for the QVC contest), but she did great last week, also was seen as jumping right into the dog challenge.

I think it's clever not to show too much too early, and "IF" editing works to help that, It's actually not that easy to pull off. This is not a live event, but the events are live and so the contents to work with and time constraints make it a very interesting task to squeeze the episodes into the alloted time.

I REALLY liked the abridged versions they were showing on Saturdays and wished they had kept those going.

11-07-04, 02:43 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Editing... Seeing the true colors"
What bothers me about Jen is that she tends to interrupt and talk over her chosen nemesis of the moment, and she thinks that's a coup.

That tactic doesn't maker her a winner of the game, it just means she can interrupt and talk over people. It's rude, and she doesn't play by the rules of may the best man/woman win. It's little things like that, if expanded to the masses, can slowly degrade the quality of life this country could have to offer.

We may be seeing her true colors of the moment, so her weakness is that she doesn't see the whole rainbow. If you edit out too many retractions, you'll never be as high quality as a documentary, you'll be stuck in limbo.

jae 412 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-08-04, 08:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jae Click to send private message to jae Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Editing... Seeing the true colors"
>1. Jen M. chose to send Sandy as her first
>pick to leave Apex.

Recent events tend to be at the forefront of one's memory. During the last Apex boardroom session before the restructuring, Sandy was under A LOT of fire for "rearranging apples for hours and hours." No wonder Jennifer was so quick to get rid of her. Sandy might not be a disaster but she is completely useless. (She did backstab Jen C too, so you can't say that she's a cupcake.)

>My conclusion is that Jen M. is a troublemaker
>who usually knows better than to act up in
>front of the cameras.

But the cameras are everywhere.

And if Jennifer makes trouble, then Maria must have invented trouble. Ivana probably gave birth to trouble.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •